Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Blackpool (h) - League - 18th December 2004

Reports and reaction from the 2004-05 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
Andy
UTS Regular

Blackpool (h) - League - 18th December 2004

Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:11 pm

ok put all your thoughts here

PerStener
UTS Veteran

Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:09 pm

It will be another tough battle..
Probably 2-1 or 1-0...

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:45 pm

A 2-1 scrape. Robinson and Wrack to score.

WSOne
UTS Regular

Fri Dec 17, 2004 6:51 pm

3-0 Robinson (2) and Standing

Murphy
Wright Emblen Bennett Aranalde
Standing Kinsella Wrack
Merson
Robinson Leitao

Paston Dann Osborn Broad Taylor

Dave Gittins
Glitterati

Fri Dec 17, 2004 7:22 pm

2-0 Saddlers

Leitao to open the scoring with the second goal from Merson

Phil_G

Fri Dec 17, 2004 9:09 pm

a morale boosting stroll, hopefully :roll:

Stu
UTS Legend

Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:43 pm

A hard fought 1 0 win with the goal coming late on in the 2nd half... Quite surprised at all the 2 and 3 goal predictions bearing in mind we're playing the best away defence in the league. Played 10, Conceded 10.

*que 5 1 win*

Ace

Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:52 am

If it's not a convincing win i won't be happy. 2-0 to 3-0 i'm hoping.... with the best away defensive record so far it's up to us, the fans, to make their nerves rattle :wink:

Walsall Supporter

Sat Dec 18, 2004 8:48 am

Fingers crossed for a win, but I feel its going to be a draw. :cry:

Reading saddler

Sat Dec 18, 2004 11:42 am

I would love it to be 2-1 but im thinking it'll be 1-2. Late goal breaks saddlers hearts. But i hope im wrong

Up the saddlers.

Stonnall_Saddler

Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:25 pm

Robinson Hatrick 3-0 :D :D :D

Monkey Is A Saddler

3-2 Magic!

Sat Dec 18, 2004 5:19 pm

Hoorah! For Marvin.

Forget the arguments about Birch being let go - Merse has been proved right. The new boy has already proven to be a better player than Birch in just 2 matches :D
Last edited by Monkey Is A Saddler on Sat Dec 18, 2004 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

simcity47

Sat Dec 18, 2004 5:25 pm

well said.

If people are quick to criticise Merse when he makes a mistake, they should give him the plaudits when he gets it right. 3 goals in 2 games, another come back again, and in the top ten. Marvin could be the Striker we desperately need.
Happy Days.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 18, 2004 5:43 pm

Yes 3 goals in 2 goals is a SUPERB start to his Walsall career.
And confidence, breeds confidence, 4 wins and a draw in last 5 matches.
And now in top 10. EXCELLENT.
Well done to PM, FB and all the lads.

PerStener
UTS Veteran

Sat Dec 18, 2004 5:53 pm

YES!

Great result.... well done.

Phil_G

Sat Dec 18, 2004 5:53 pm

Isn't it amazing how much better it feels when we're in the 1st page and not the 2nd on Ceefax?

Still a very tight league though, us and the 7 teams below us seperated by 1 win

Dave Gittins
Glitterati

Sat Dec 18, 2004 6:21 pm

Excellent result again today against a robust Blackpool team. On the strength of this display Robinson is looking like a decent striker, all credit to Merson for bringing him in.

What on earth was the defence playing at with the first Blackpool goal? It is basic stuff not to try and dribble the ball out from your own goal line. First Wrack then Zigor lost possession trying to do that gifting the first goal. Couldn't argue with the placement of the 2nd Blackpool goal, very well taken free kick.

On the plus points, Jorge took his headed goal well right on the stroke of half time and Robinson did the same with his two goals. In fact, when was the last time we had so many headers on target in a match? Normally, balls into the box get swallowed up by the defence, today they were leading to good chances starting as early as the third minute when we were unlucky not to take the lead.

Anyone hear the post match interview with PM? He appears to be none to happy with Bennett for his stupid booking, can't say I blame him. The inference was that he may have a club fine of some sort imposed on him. PM said that at half time he gave strict instructions to avoid getting booked then he managed it by squaring up to someone on the pitch. Hopefully a bit of discipline will curb that side of his game. A booking for a mistimed challenge or to prevent a goalscoring chance you can live with, but something like that is harder to swallow. This leaves us very short on defensive cover for the difficult match against Wednesday.

Still, onwards and upwards, 10th place tonight looking up at the playoffs isntead of the bottom of the table. He is turning it around for us and I may be about to eat my words post-Slough.

All together now:

Paul Merson's Barmy Army

BEACON SADDLER

Sat Dec 18, 2004 6:51 pm

great result against a hardworking side

shows what a difference a centre forward who runs and jumps makes!

was that really mark wright with that tackle in the second half?
impressed with their number 8,never stopped closing us down and a great free kick

now we seem to have realised it is ok to score from set pieces can somebody teach aranalde how to take a throw!

its nice to look forward to monday again

nanny

Sat Dec 18, 2004 6:56 pm

What exactly don't you brummie cretins like about Luton? We won't be in the same league next season and you won't get anything from kenilworth road so there isn't exactly a competitive rivalry is there?

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Sat Dec 18, 2004 7:02 pm

he oi he oi he oi oh up the football league we go.

5 games undefeated, should have been 5 wins but we cant moan really

Youve turned it around merse but really we will now how far we have come when we play sheff wed and tranmere. I thought blackpool played today hoiw any away team should apart from their defence i thought they were pretty good.

MARVELOUS MARV, i told you not to get on his back and look what the blokes onew and done.

10th and 5 off the playoffs, come on!

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Sat Dec 18, 2004 7:05 pm

nanny wrote:What exactly don't you brummie cretins like about Luton? We won't be in the same league next season and you won't get anything from kenilworth road so there isn't exactly a competitive rivalry is there?

I know we wont be in the same league we will beat you in the play-off final. You probably right that we wont get anything from kenilworth road but you certainly wont outplay us like we did to you at the bescot.

PAUL MERSON BARMY ARMY

Mark Delaney

Luton Div

Sat Dec 18, 2004 7:40 pm

Luton fan: the owner of this site is good mates with a Luton Town FC fan, thats it. Dont kid yourself the rest of us 'cretins' could give a flyin shite about Luton.

Sound_out
Site Addict

Location: Draining the swamp and watching the truth come out.

Sat Dec 18, 2004 8:19 pm

Excellent result today against IMO a good Blackpool team. We weren’t at our best and they were a handful coming forward, Parker scored a good goal and was a handful all afternoon but we just managed to keep them out and could well of added a 4th at the end when Merson was through only to have his shot blocked.

Emblen and Bennett both had good games Emblen in particular now seems back to the form he showed last season. Stupid way for Bennett to get booked and to be honest the referee let a lot go so it was surprising when he pulled his card out for what looked nothing more than handbags at 5 paces. I was really pleased to see Wright play his best game for us this season. His crossing has improved and also defended very well with a great tackle to prevent what looked like a certain goal. I don’t think he put a foot wrong all afternoon - well done!

The midfield gave the ball away far too many times. No real fluency with the passing and this is where we need to improve. Wracky has played better this season but tried hard all game. Osborne is a liability, which can only be made worse by idiots who boo the guy as soon as he comes on the pitch. I mean how think are you people? We all know he gives the ball away far too often and has the first touch of a rapist so giving the guy stick before he’s even touched the ball is only going to be detrimental. We have some of the thickest supporters in the land! Merson had another solid game, and provided the cross for the third goal. He’s certainly a luxury we cannot do without, home or away!

Leitao looked sharper than he has been for a while, took his goal well and surprisingly could actually be seen in the box when crosses came in. Amazing the effect that a new goal-scoring striker can have on players isn’t it?! I think with Fryatt fit he will be second choice though. Maybe we could utilise him in a midfield role as I think we need to bring in another striker – just an idea.

Marvellous Marvin should have been man of the match! What a performance! He was always in the box poaching when the crosses came in and is good in the air. Looks like a great buy. Bullet of a header for his second goal too!

UP THE SADDLERS!!!

Saddler Jim
UTS Regular

Sat Dec 18, 2004 8:31 pm

Another great win'I forecast a 3 or 4-1 win so I got the goals tally right.The pleasing thing about it was we knocked 3 goals past the tightest away defence in the division, if we can do this we can score against any team in this division.Marvellous Marvin looks a real steal, any team that does well always has a 20 goals a season man in the team, once he's got a few games under his belt and he gets used to Merses way he wants them to play,he'll be that man for Walsall.

Ace

Sat Dec 18, 2004 8:57 pm

On Blackpool's official site, at the beginning of the match report for today's match, Walsall were described as "Relegation rivals". Relegation bloody rivals? When did this happen?

Salop Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:25 pm

Great. I couldn’t be more pleased, especially for Merson. Though as soon as the run hits a bump, there'll be one or two back wanting his head served up on a platter once again.

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:31 pm

Great result - thoroughly enjoyed the match today (thought its topsy turvy nature had me worried at times).

Since I came out and said "Merson out" after the Slough defeat, we have strung together a great set of results (if not always with a good performance - I'm thinking of the Stockport game). Well done Paul Merson and the lads. At the end of the game today I saw exactly what this result meant to Merse. Keep it up!!! I am now back in the Merson in camp! And well done Marvin Robinson!

UP THE SADDLERS

A very happy Manchester Saddler. javascript:emoticon(':D')
Very Happy

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:31 pm

Can't see how either of those sides could be looked on as relegation candidates, certainly not playing the way both teams did today.

I thought it was good entertainment today, an enjoyable contest that we could easily have got only the one point from. Blackpool probably feel a little hard done by to have got nothing from the game, but it's happened to us often enough so I'm showing no sympathy over that. Missing those two or three one-on-ones could have proved crucial, thankfully it didn't turn out that way.

Agree with most of Sound_out's comments, but can't really believe he's having a go at Osborn again this evening. The guy was on the pitch for how long?

We'd been giving the ball away in midfield, and were second to a lot of the loose balls, for most of the first half, then carried it on to a lesser extent in the second. Our midfield was definitely second best up to half-time. No-one picked out for criticism over that I notice! But then, Osborn wasn't playing at the time was he?

Then Osborn comes on for the last 15 minutes and gets the stick as usual. OK, don't tell me he played some stray passes, I know he did, but why single him out as usual, he was no worse than the rest. If you'd watched him with an ounce of impartiality, you might also have noticed his work-rate when he came on, the number of times he won the ball, and the number of times he got in decent passes and headers. But this is Osborn, there is never a good word for him is there?

Give the guy a break, and as for the booing when he came on, morons, absolute morons! Do they really think that they'll encourage a decent peformance out of anyone by doing that? Do they prefer to boo a player, or encourage him to help win us the game? I know that wasn't you Sound_out, but some of these "fans" really haven't got a clue about supporting their team.

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:36 pm

Those who booed Osborn are a disgrace. How do you expect a player to perform for the club when he is booed every time he comes on?

Salop Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:42 pm

I'll have to agree with that Geoff. I'll hold my hands now up and state I'm not Osborns biggest fan, but he's in a Saddlers shirt, he's representing us, and on the pitch he deserves the wholehearted support of us all. Is it just me, or do I get the impression that we, as a group of supporters, treat 'our own' much worse than most?

Next
Return to 2004-05 Season