Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Peterborough (h) - League - 20th November 2004

Reports and reaction from the 2004-05 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
admin
Site Admin

Peterborough (h) - League - 20th November 2004

Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:07 pm

By hullsaddler (213.249.178.52) on Saturday, November 20, 2004 - 04:13 pm:

0-1.Oh dear . A Peterborough striker on his debut!

By reading saddler (82.133.101.130) on Saturday, November 20, 2004 - 04:28 pm:

29 percent possession for walsall so far

By hullsaddler (213.249.178.52) on Saturday, November 20, 2004 - 04:52 pm:

Mick Kearns at half time "lack lustre,lacking urgency". Well I thought they would at least be a bit more fired up after the last week.Wonder what sort of team talk is going on in the dressing room at moment.

By reading saddler (82.133.101.130) on Saturday, November 20, 2004 - 05:09 pm:

on bbc website walsall seem to be dominating heavily. Says we just pushed there goalkeeper to the limits.

By LancsSaddler (194.80.32.8) on Saturday, November 20, 2004 - 05:20 pm:

1-1 wrack

By ken (194.6.9.129) on Saturday, November 20, 2004 - 05:29 pm:

2-1 Birch!!!!

Cmon

By reading saddler (82.133.101.130) on Saturday, November 20, 2004 - 05:33 pm:

walsall still dominating apparently too:
Possession:
Walsall 56%
Peterborough 44%
Shots:
Walsall 16
Peterborough 7
Corners:
Walsall 5
Peterborough 1
Fouls:
Walsall 8
Peterborough 16
Bookings:
Walsall 1
Peterborough 1

By greg (81.77.8.10) on Saturday, November 20, 2004 - 05:53 pm:

2-1 cmon :D

By hullsaddler (213.249.178.52) on Saturday, November 20, 2004 - 05:53 pm:

well done!!!!!!!!

By ANoS (81.157.25.101) on Saturday, November 20, 2004 - 06:45 pm:

Valuable 3 points, is it a fresh start or a one off? Better second half performance than the first, though we had chances in the first half that we should have taken.

We needed that, can we press on from here? I still don't know. Only 7 points off the play offs...

By aldridge steve (82.37.152.190) on Saturday, November 20, 2004 - 06:49 pm:

merson set up both and had a good game. poor first half better second. bloody cold.

By wfc_2uk (213.48.181.14) on Saturday, November 20, 2004 - 07:00 pm:

9 points ANOS. But we cant press on until we win an away game. Ffirst half we was terrible. Looked alot better when Osborn went off I dont think he will play another game for us, hooray!

I thought Emblen and Standing were both man of the matches, I cant believe how well standing is playing. Im missing my first away game next week because of family commitments but come on lads.

By wfc_2uk (213.48.181.14) on Saturday, November 20, 2004 - 07:03 pm:

9 points ANOS. But we cant press on until we win an away game. Ffirst half we was terrible. Looked alot better when Osborn went off I dont think he will play another game for us, hooray!

I thought Emblen and Standing were both man of the matches, I cant believe how well standing is playing. Im missing my first away game next week because of family commitments but come on lads.

By Simcity47 (195.188.152.12) on Saturday, November 20, 2004 - 07:12 pm:

Merson was outstanding today..everything went through him, i was so pleased the crowd never turned on him, and the lads rallied round.

First half was poor, and the boos were justified. But 2nd half, they dominated the game.

Emblem was outstanding. Mark Wright was lively.
And Wracky, what a great way to answer the boo boys, score a goal. I thought he was going to do a Ketsbia and kick the hoardings!!

Merse may get the sack in the future, and some of you get their wish, but today he was brillant, and im so pleased to get a win under the belt.

Right, im off up Broad Street now to get royally drunk.!!
Dink dank do!
Up the Saddlers

By saddlersam (62.255.32.9) on Saturday, November 20, 2004 - 07:58 pm:

my hands are still numb. Feel v.good right now tho. Can forgive the first half display because we scored twice in the second half.
Come on Walsall!

By Smelly Hand (172.202.133.70) on Saturday, November 20, 2004 - 08:28 pm:

Anyone know if Walsall Youth were up to their tricks again? Loads of coppers, a few Burburried-up numptys and several people with bloodied noses on the Broadway over the road from Morrisons as we walked back to the car.

Standing should start next week, he covered every blade of grass today, and if we are to persist with 4312, we need his energy to give us an extra dimension, thought Birch did well also.

By SheffieldSaddler (172.190.160.237) on Saturday, November 20, 2004 - 08:49 pm:

Good result.
But we need to start playing and winning away in order to do anything this season.

By steve holroyd (81.131.230.164) on Saturday, November 20, 2004 - 08:55 pm:

what adifference a goal makes until we got the equaliser every time a walsall player received the ball it looked like someone had given him a hand grenade (minus the pin). after the 1st goal you could see some confidence come back.thought Standing was excellent gave the midfield some drive.emblen was solid & i thought wright had his best game to date. still lots of room for improvement but its a platform to build on.

By ShropshireSaddler (195.92.168.174) on Saturday, November 20, 2004 - 09:03 pm:

Thought it was a terrible first half, followed by a great start to the 2nd half before we reverted to being very poor later in the game.
Player by player;
Murphy - not alot to do, don't think he had much chance with the goal
Wright - thought he had an excellent game defensively
Aranalde - I'm an Aranalde fan but he was woeful 1st half. Should have stopped the ball going in the net but didn't appear bothered. Better 2nd half
Emblen - excellent game
Roper - good comeback game
Kinsella - veryclose to MoM for me. Did the defensive midfield role perfectly. Much better than Osborn. Showed real grit and determination. A couple of crunching tackles.
Standing - should have been on from the start. Lively, attacking, committed
Wrack - see other thread, he'snot my favourite player but the booing of him was way out of order and cr to him for not hiding
Merson - made both goals. At times brilliant, at times frustrating.
Leitao - thought he contributed very little to the game
Birch - held the ball up better than Leitao, worked quite hard, scored a goal and then tried to spoil it all at the end by looking either worn out or not bothered. If the former, why is he like this as a young lad? If thelatter, unforgiveable.

By Alan Allen (84.66.88.113) on Saturday, November 20, 2004 - 09:13 pm:

I did not appreciate Osbourne's reaction as he left the pitch. I hope never to see him again. Great 2nd half though.
Smelly, I saw about 10 chav lads in Pleck looking for grief. Im sure they were Pboro. I didn't see any 'youth' today. What ahppened on Broadway?

By Geordiesaddler (195.92.168.175) on Saturday, November 20, 2004 - 09:26 pm:

"some of you may get your wish" - what that Walsall might be successful?

By andy_vh (195.92.168.165) on Saturday, November 20, 2004 - 09:39 pm:

was ozzy injured when he went off or not? i presumed he was but he was woeful and we looked so much better without him. i like the look of kinsella and standing playing together. im afraid jorge isnt a shadow of his former self. we desperately need a new striker.

By Stu (195.92.67.74) on Saturday, November 20, 2004 - 10:47 pm:

Alan Allen, what reaction did Osborn give when he walked off? All he did was walk off the bleedin pitch. What was wrong with that?

Andy_vh, I'd like to point out that Ossy was about twice as good as Kinsella was up to the point he went off. Kinsella didn't wake up till the 2nd half.

I really don't understand why Osborn has to be a scapegoat for people.

Anyway, ignoring that. I don't think the first half was as bad as some make out, we were the better side but we lacked the cutting edge.

However, I will also give a huge amount of cr to Barry Fry for our 2nd half performance. Peteboro played 4-4-2 in the first half and got the ball wide to stretch us quite often.

They then moved to a 3-5-2 in the 2nd half to try and flood the middle and stifle us, however, that seemed to really unsettle them and they never got going.

Ironically, after we went 2-1 up, Fry then went back to a 4-4-2 and in my view, it was no coincidence that Peterboro shaded the last 10/15 minutes, although we also sat back a fair bit.

Thought Kinsella was atrocious in the first half, however he was key 2nd half and I think the Kinsella/Standing/Wr ack trio looked very good. I genuinely don't think we can paly Kinsella and Osborn in the same trio, as we lack the forward play then. If making a choice, I'd go for Osborn over the 1st Half Kinsella, but the 2nd half Kinsella over Osborn.

Thought Birch and Jorge were lively. The more I look at Jorge, the more I think he'd make a decent wide midfielder. He works hard, tracks back, good in the air, tackles and is good running on the ball, I personally think he could offer a similar outlet to Darren Wrack.

Thought Roper stunk again, Clive Platt seemed to have the beating of him every time in the air. I think Roper is coming to the crunch time in his career, he really doesn't convince me without a commanding centre back. Strangely, the bloke behind me was saying that Coventry were looking at Roper, don't know where he got that from.

Up the Merson!

By coxanddrummie (82.46.136.237) on Saturday, November 20, 2004 - 10:58 pm:

"I'd go for Osborn over the 1st Half Kinsella, but the 2nd half Kinsella over Osborn".============ ======= WEAK MAN TALKING!!!

"Up the Merson"!=========== MAN WHO CAN'T MAKE HIS MIND UP TALKING ========== WEAK.

"I really don't understand why Osborn has to be a scapegoat for people".=========== MAN WHO CANNOT IDENTIFY A PIECE OF cack ===========WEAK.

Try again please Stu. That was WEAK.

By cheese bag (81.131.60.104) on Saturday, November 20, 2004 - 11:03 pm:

What we do have to remember is that Peterborough are one of the worst teams to play at Bescot for a long while. They were there for the taking, a Walsall team with confidence would have scored 4 today but we just about scrape 3 points.

BTW Standing should never have been dropped, he is turning out to be an asset in midfield.

By Magic Man Fan (81.156.160.236) on Saturday, November 20, 2004 - 11:23 pm:

Smelly Hand - Apparently about 30 Peterboro idiots smashed up the Fullbrook so that ties in with what you were saying. They came into Bar Sport I was told but they wouldn't serve them because they don't serve away fans and don't allow baseball caps or any items of clothing that are Burberry, Aqua Scrotum etc.

The game:

I thought I was going to be posting the usual. i.e. Lots of possession and neat football but couldn't take our chances. Once again the finishing was poor but we got there in the end due to two moments of magic from Merson. I can't beleive he dropped Standing, he's been our best player for a month.

I was pleased that Birch got the winning goal (yet again) because I felt his overall performance deserved it. I keep telling you we're a better attacking side with him in the team. Look at the games he's played in and the ones we've won. He didn't look very fit though and was knackered at the end. Needs to work hard to get fitter and stay in the team.

By Stu (195.92.67.74) on Saturday, November 20, 2004 - 11:34 pm:

Agree on Standing, was very surprised to see him dropped. I think thats because Merse wanted the experience of Ossie and Kinsella. Hopefully he'll retain his spot now.

C&D, you amuse me most the time and talk cack the rest of it, so I'm taking that as the latter.

By SheffieldSaddler (172.190.202.177) on Sunday, November 21, 2004 - 12:28 am:

A man who wants his team to lose, against Crewe last year and Brentford this year. Is a WEAK supporter?

By coxanddrummie (195.93.34.9) on Sunday, November 21, 2004 - 01:02 am:

Actually Simon you forgot to mention Peterboro too. Today was a terrible result for the club. I would have thought you would be aware of that Simon.

No i have to say, i was dissapointed Walsall didn't lose. I never went, i refuse to go at these Evil times. Just scraped through the mist though i see, thats a shame.

It's a shame because it prolongs the agony. The cancer is spreading fast. Soon it may not be curable. I didn't go to the game today. I will never go to another game while we have this dark cloud managing the club.

I unlike many Saddlers fans have decided to take a stand. If only you had the courage like i do. If only some of you lot were as passionate as i am. Fear not though people, you may not understand now but you will later. Oh you will, trust me.

By Magic Man Fan (81.156.160.236) on Sunday, November 21, 2004 - 01:13 am:

The cancer doesn't need to be cured as long as we're winning which is all that matters whoever the manager is.

By dler (82.152.45.15) on Sunday, November 21, 2004 - 01:15 am:

True colours shown by C&D. A fair weather supporter if ever there was one. Only go to games when wee're doing well. Go back to your dingles you tosser.

By Aldridge fan (195.92.168.178) on Sunday, November 21, 2004 - 01:25 am:

Much needed 3pts today, not the greatest of games but would have settled for 1-0 with only shot of the game.
Think people who claim we can't afford to sack Merson are wide of the mark if Bonser wants to get rid he will, but think he can see as Mersons role in the 2 goals proved today we need Merson the player for the rest of this season at least.
At the end of the season I think he will be booted out new man bought in and a summer rebuild.

By rakette (62.255.32.9) on Sunday, November 21, 2004 - 10:35 am:

C&D, you're a prat

By Jorge14 (195.93.34.9) on Sunday, November 21, 2004 - 11:40 am:

A good performance in the second half, abysmal in the first half.

As much as I'd love to go a week without criticising Osborn, we looked much better once he had gone off, how Standing was dropped after being our best player over the past month was beyond me. I don't think we would have won without Standing, because he balanced midfield, and allowed Kinsella to do his own game, rather than having to reach beyond his limits to cover for the blatant similarity between himself and Osborn. It was Kinsella who put the ball though to Wrack, I think, and it was a cracking ball which Wracky should have finished.

Murphy - He either looks very confident, or very weak . Looked quite good yesterday, and showed good hands in the second half.

Wright - You are the weakest link...but we probably won't be saying goodbye for a while.
Aranalde - A much improved performance.
Emblen and Roper - Did well considering they haven't played together for a couple of months, but collectively they and the defence should have done much better for the goal.

Wrack - His worst ever performance for the first hour by his own admitance. However, once he scored, he looked good.
Kinsella - Poor in the first half hour, but once Osborn went off he improved and was looking to start orchestrating the midfield. I think it is obvious that he prefers to play along side Standing.
Osborn - Didn't do much as he went off injured, but I think it was his pass that was intercepted in the build-up to the goal (?). If he left tommorrow I don't think he would be missed, I hope he doesn't keep his starting place for next Saturday if fit.
Merson - Cut Peterborough apart in the second half, but at the end of the day, it is Peterboro, and if a player of Merson's pedigree can't rip them apart, then he should retire.

Leitao - He looked better than last week, but I don't think Jorge could get much worse! He didn't contribute much though, but as I've said on another thread, I wouldn't play Fryatt at the minute.
Birch - Probably his best performance since we beat Forest a year ago. He won nearly everything, and although he should have had at least one more goal, his finish was composed.

Sub:
Standing - Was impressive again when he came on. I don't know how he was dropped and Osborn kept his place. I don't think Osborn will get back in. I hope not anyway.

By Andy Newton (195.93.34.9) on Sunday, November 21, 2004 - 02:24 pm:

Jorge14? Wrack's worst ever performance for an hour? Worst EVER?? You sure about that? Name one other midfielder who would have even ran beyond their defence to get in that position (which he should have scored I agree). Wrack was one of our better performers today and has been most of the season.

You seem to get carried away. It's either praise to the hilt or slag off every player. No in between.

By Jorge14 (195.93.34.9) on Sunday, November 21, 2004 - 03:04 pm:

Wrack was awful until he scored yesterday. He admits how bad he was in the Mercury, I think. Basically saying that that was his worst performance for the club until he scored.

Also mate, if you knew me you would know that Wracky has been one of my players of the season so far, I was just agreeing with what he had said about his own performance. Wracky is one of the few who gives 100% every game, and one of the few who looked bothered last Saturday.

By Jman (82.37.174.88) on Sunday, November 21, 2004 - 05:06 pm:

Wrack wasn't awful, Wrack was the only player who had the bottle and drive to go forward int eh early stages, ok he should of scored but the keeper narrowed the angle very well, other then the miss, there was a couple of miss controlled balls and the odd bad pass but he always kept going, and if we were gonan get back in the game, it was obvious to me but 99% of the idiots in bescot that it would have somthign to do with Wrack, you've gotta be there to miss um, and he was there and becaude Wracky is one of the players that cares about the club and runs his socks off he will be there to miss um next week and the week after.

Disagree with most people's opinion on wright, he's a defensive liabilty and should eb an area of the team Merse is lookign to replace, after he's got a striker of course

By Stu (195.92.67.75) on Sunday, November 21, 2004 - 06:42 pm:

Jman, I'd agree that Wright is defensively poor, however Aranalde is even worse...

In order of whats needed;
Striker
Left Back
Right Back
Dominating centre half, he can wear a gimp mask if he likes.

By gizawfc (81.154.25.115) on Sunday, November 21, 2004 - 08:39 pm:

Anyone else see all the trouble by morrisons. bloody idiots had no regards for the cars on this busy stretch of the road especially with supporter hurtling down to get to the motorway. I saw about 10 - 15 of them proper kicking off, people on the floor in the road getting kicked and punched. Luckily i had chance to see this and was able to stop in time, i saw a car almost take one of them out, which would of been fine. The kid just looked at the driver didn't even think he almost got creamed and carried on chasing people. Didn;t see any football tops on any of them, plenty of caps!!!!

Thought the game was poor first half as most people have said. Glad to see wrack and Birch get the important goals and i think it must of meant a lot by the way the pair reacted when scoring showing a lot of passion for once.
Result we needed lets hope and pray we can build on it and get our first away win of the season!!

By Magic Man Fan (81.156.160.236) on Sunday, November 21, 2004 - 08:46 pm:

Its mentioned above giza. They were Peterborough fans.

By Salop Saddler (213.78.59.132) on Sunday, November 21, 2004 - 09:07 pm:

We're becoming infested with twerp, thick as ape snot, baseball cap wearing twerp. The cancer of Bescot, these little cnts are, and it's down to Whalley to get it sorted in cooperation with the police. I have no faith in either, so it appears we're stuck with the shower of scum.

As for the match, I thought we were barely average against a poor Posh side. I just wish that one or two of our midfield would take up the mantle of creator, are they in awe of Merson, or what? I'm sure he'd be as chuffed as anyone if somebody else could chip in with a couple of creative passes now and then. Then again, perhaps I'm being too critical, so disregard the above match comments. Three points was needed, and we got them, so that'll do for me.

By Jimmy Parr (81.76.53.25) on Sunday, November 21, 2004 - 09:18 pm:

MMF, Posh fans fighting each other? Give it a rest pal. It was 'Youth' from Walsall and Wolves having a pre-arranged off with PUFC. Cant believe these louts are getting away with it.

By Magic Man Fan (81.156.160.236) on Sunday, November 21, 2004 - 09:26 pm:

I didn't say they were fighting each other. But there were around 30 from boro. How come you know so much if you're not involved?

There's not much anyone can do about it unless people give details the police. You must know a bit from your above post. Why don't you phone the police?

By Kitman (82.37.186.151) on Sunday, November 21, 2004 - 11:31 pm:

Salop.

I would be interested to know what you expect Whalley or the club to do about people fighting outside Morrisons. On club property okay, get them identified and banned from attending Bescot but away from the ground there is little that can be done by the club.

By Dave Roe (213.122.129.194) on Sunday, November 21, 2004 - 11:46 pm:

With all due respect, Kitman, that's a cop out.

If I owned a business and some lame brains were ruining the good name of my busines buy causing so much trouble whilst claiming to be associated with the business then I would sure as damn it sort it out.

These numbskulls are starting to give us a bad name. If you watch Walsall away you won't be able to drink within 20 miles of the ground, family's will stop bringing their kids to the matches, our policing bills will soar.

The club can't afford to ignore this, and just because it doesn't happen on club property doesn't and shouldn't absolve the club of it's responsibility.

By Salop Saddler (213.78.59.132) on Sunday, November 21, 2004 - 11:57 pm:

Ta Dave, saved me a job.

By Exile (203.167.253.205) on Monday, November 22, 2004 - 12:05 am:

Dave, there's nothing they can do outside the ground. Rightly, this is public domain and administering it belongs to the police. The club can and does absolve itself of responsibility. There's no statutory 'duty' the club has to discharge, so a cursory note in the matchday programme to the effect that violence etc. will not be tolerated is more than they need to do.

Can you imagine the civil liberties mob uproar if they were allowed to do anything else?

Question is, do they do enough round the club to discourage it? If some thug wants to have a ruck with some other thug and doesn't even go in the grounds there's nothing WFC can do. if it's in the ground, everyone has the right to enjoy a safe environment. This all comes back to the marketing of WFC again - "family club" breeds "family atmosphere". There's no targetted marketing, no focus of marketing, and that issue at the top level is contributing to this problem, more than people think.

Cheers all,
Exile

By Kitman (82.37.186.151) on Monday, November 22, 2004 - 07:58 am:

I have to agree with Exile. The club can impose bans, publish photographs of those involved and many other things BUT none of that will stop these doombrains fighting outside Morrisons or in the town centre. The club is powerless to stop them and I suspect that only a ban by the courts from going within a certain distance of the ground would be affective and even then it would cease to become affective outside the boundaries of the ban.
I was told that some of the "youth" were involved in the incident at the nightclub in Aldridge last week and if it is true are we told hold the football club responsible?

By machew (195.224.86.71) on Monday, November 22, 2004 - 10:58 am:

My thoughts:

Why do some fans actively stand up and cheer a WALSALL player off the pitch when he is injured ? I am not Osbornes biggest fan but that kind of supporter needs to look in the mirror and ask themselves a few questions.

Jorge for me is a spent force, but one of his problems is that he is playing two roles on the pitch; that of a striker when we have the ball, and a midfielder when we haven't. He was as far back as Standing and Kinsella virtually every attack Peterbro mounted, while Merson remains on the halfway line. This must blunt his effectiveness.

I thought Aranalde could have stopped their goal on the line if had just tried his right foot instead of his left.

Cr to Wracky for coming back; I thought his miss in the 1st half was a shocker, but he was man enough to put himself in the firing line again and took his goal very well.

Standing is growing every game, and always looks to use the ball intelligently, and most of the time looks to take it forwards, not sideways or backwards. He must start for me.

Birch played well, but showed why he is so frustrating when at the end he actually walked about while a defender was just yards away from him. This is what he needs to cut out. He should be fit enough at his age. We really need another striker, and I'd play him with Birchy at the moment.

I actually thought Merson was going to stand down after the game when he made a point of throwing his shirt into the Lower Purple. It just looked symbolic in some way from my view in the Upper Purple.

I saw the Burberry boys aftermath as I walked back to the George abd there still seemed to be other trouble going on as Police cars and Meat Wagons were screaming up Wallows Lane in a hell of a rush.

There was an element from Peterbro that came for trouble though; they trashed the toilets in the George after the game. Well that's nice - the gaffer actually caters for and looks after away fans in there so that's a good way to thank him. Saying that there was no sign of any away support in there before the game when there is every other week. Maybe, as has been stated, they had already pre-arranged a rendevous with our Brain Deads.

By Magic Man Fan (81.156.160.236) on Monday, November 22, 2004 - 05:54 pm:

Blaming Aranalde for their goal machew? Even though:

a) we were defending too high up the pitch again and were static.
b) the goal came from our right hand side not the left and
c) the ball went straight through/under Murphys hand.

Perhaps Aranalde could have stopped it but to blame him before any of the above is a bit harsh.

It looked even worse on Murphy when I saw it again on Sky last night.

By Neil Ravenscroft (82.37.184.210) on Monday, November 22, 2004 - 11:03 pm:

I despair, really. Wrack gave the ball away, Wright was caught out of position and Murphy should have done better, so it must all have been Aranalde's fault, of course!
It was also, by the way, one of the best bits of football all afternoon and about the only piece of good play Posh produced, so give them some cr as well.

By Neil Ravenscroft (82.37.184.210) on Monday, November 22, 2004 - 11:49 pm:

By the way, machew, I agree with the rest!

By machew (195.224.86.71) on Tuesday, November 23, 2004 - 11:10 am:

I despair as well. Where did I blame Aranalde for the goal ? I simply said I thought he could have stopped it if he had a right foot, which I think is true. I think Aranalde is generally ok and don't agree with a lot of the criticisms of him.

By Neil Ravenscroft (62.172.127.2) on Tuesday, November 23, 2004 - 12:09 pm:

Ah, now "IF" he had a right foot - fair enough!

By machew (195.224.86.71) on Tuesday, November 23, 2004 - 12:26 pm:

By Stu (13.16.137.11) on Tuesday, November 23, 2004 - 01:39 pm:

On recent performances, he hasn't got a left foot, let alone a right foot.

By andy_vh (195.92.168.168) on Tuesday, November 23, 2004 - 07:26 pm:

oh to have jamie vincent and chris baird come in on loan again! as thats not going to happen who we going to get in?

Return to 2004-05 Season