Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Stockport County (h)-League-7th May 2005

Reports and reaction from the 2004-05 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Stockport County (h)-League-7th May 2005

Tue May 03, 2005 9:41 am

well win 2-0 with a pitch invasion hailing merson as the next messiah

and in the summer sideburns will make a huge comeback

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Tue May 03, 2005 10:05 am

If we play like we have in the last two games and Joachim is fit I can see us winning 5 or 6 but I'd settle for any kind of win.

Rob_Walsall_

Wed May 04, 2005 1:32 pm

we wil win about 5-0 with joachim getting 4 :lol:

robertjohn8
UTS Regular

Wed May 04, 2005 3:26 pm

3-0 & merse will play.

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Wed May 04, 2005 8:14 pm

1 - 0, osborn 35 yarder.

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed May 04, 2005 8:29 pm

robertjohn8 wrote:3-0 & merse will play.

Even with Merse playing I can't see Stockport getting three :lol:

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Thu May 05, 2005 9:44 am

Preview now on line. A day early, due to me being very, very busy tomorrow. I've gone for 5 - 0.

Redordead
UTS Veteran

Thu May 05, 2005 10:11 am

Hopefully if there is a pitch invasion (as usually there is) our fans will behave (as they have allways done) and applaud the away fans,and not behave like Rotherscum did last season

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Thu May 05, 2005 10:20 am

Hear, hear

ucow

Thu May 05, 2005 11:36 am

we could have won the last two games by 7 against much better opporsition so i reckon we should go for our record win 11 or more goals and hopefuly a clean sheet! but in al honsety a scrapy 1-0 win with roper scoring in the last minite off his arse!

Phil_G

Thu May 05, 2005 12:07 pm

As it is now (thankfully) a meaningless fixture, do you think there is any chance of Joe Broad getting a game?
Or has he already left for the Bahamas?

Joe Broad

Thu May 05, 2005 9:09 pm

No I'm still here so let's have a big cheer boys and girls!! Hip Hip...
No seroiusly I am off on holiday soon with the missus, we're off to Trinidad and Tobago, she's going to Trinidad I'm going to Tobago (canned laughter).
Anyway its the final of the darts on Saturday lunch so I couldn't go before that was done and dusted. Andy Surman has been granted an extra week by Southampton to compete in tonight's semi against, wait or it,
Thick Mick "The Paddy" Kearns, which should be interesting, Mick using all those years as steward of Aldridge club to better handle the smokey atmosphere I shouldn't wonder.
Anyway must get cracking with the packing, have a great summer all, and remember folks...book early.

Ace

Thu May 05, 2005 9:39 pm

I have a huge 'Merson Out' banner in big black letters ready to be used on Saturday. I'll release it from the middle purple stand should we not win by at least 4 goals 8)

Exile
Jobsworth

Fri May 06, 2005 12:23 am

AC_Loyalist wrote:I have a huge 'Merson Out' banner in big black letters ready to be used on Saturday. I'll release it from the middle purple stand should we not win by at least 4 goals 8)

Coat-tailer :wink:

simcity47

Fri May 06, 2005 8:14 pm

id like to think we will win by a landslide, but knowing our season we will lose 1-0..

Seriously though, i reckon 3-1 to us.

Thats 60points, which to be fair 3-4weeks ago seemed unobtainable.

WednesburyRoad

Fri May 06, 2005 8:47 pm

I'll say we will lose 4-0, as I said we would lose v Hull and Hartlepool, lets hope my bad predictions continue. :wink:

peteleehongkong

Sat May 07, 2005 4:19 pm

According to the commentary on Saddlers World - which was the 'away' commentary whichever link I clicked on - the result was 'totally undeserved' and County 'outplayed' us for 86 minutes. Is this true? Couldn't really hear the commentary very well - it was very unclear, unlike when Mick Kearns is on. There's something to be said for speaking slowly and deliberately.

Anyway, I could tell that the Stockport commentaters were delighted with the Walsall fans' reaction at the end.

peteleehongkong

Sat May 07, 2005 4:24 pm

Perhaps I should say 'commentators' before the various spelling gurus grind into action.

PerStener
UTS Veteran

Sat May 07, 2005 4:40 pm

the match stats on Match Live at saddlers world said Walsall had 70% possession.
Still the Stockport commentators said they outplayed us... Strange.

Nice to see two youth team players get their chance.

Great ending on the match... I was at work talking with a customer on the phone while I listened on the match via internet.... I don't remember much about what I said to the customer :)

Dave Gittins
Glitterati

Sat May 07, 2005 5:33 pm

For 85 minutes this seemed pretty much standard end of season fare with neither team having anything left to play for. If anything Stockport seemed to have the edge at times but Oakes only had to make one real save. It was left to Fryatt to show how to score when he came on, and it was a very good goal keeping his feet in the area to slide the ball low into the corner of the net. After that it was a case of how many could we score before the final whistle.

I can't help thinking that if Wrack had scored that penalty in the first half we could have won by about 5 or 6 - I don't know why but when he stood there waiting to take the penalty I felt he was going to miss, his whole body language seemed too casual.

In terms of the two youngsters making their debut I felt Harkness acquitted himself very well with a solid display. Bradley showed glimpses of what he can do but drifted in and out of the match before being substituted.

To finish it was nice to meet Pedro and Jorge 14 today, always nice to put faces to names. Enjoy the DVD Pedro!

r_a_perks

Sat May 07, 2005 5:38 pm

Does anyone else not think this sums up our season perfectly? - In that the start was promising, followed by mediocre play where we looked in danger, then just when we thought it was all over the team came back with over-the-top extravergence

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Sat May 07, 2005 6:07 pm

I dont know what to make of it today to be honest. I got a little bored after 75 mins but then the game kind of started. Fryatt proved what we miss at times a decent finisher. Couldnt bare to react to the idiots that booed fryatts Player Of The Season Award. There are not many players that play less amount of games than what they do as sub, finish leading scorer and be NINETEEN! Give the kid a break.

Anyway 5 on the bounce, undefeated in 6 and fingers crossed we can keep these players to steam roll next season.

dler

Sat May 07, 2005 6:20 pm

And nobody can score against us from open play now. What a turnaround.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sat May 07, 2005 7:23 pm

Match report now on line. I didn't read the board before I posted it, so I'm glad to see there's general agreement. Thought they looked OK, without too much of a threat and always thought that,if we got one, we'd get more. It seemed like a big "if" for a very long time, though!

scotty

Sat May 07, 2005 7:54 pm

I was so pleased that Kris Tayolor scored today - he looked made up but..... Kris if you secretly listen in on this board then It'll be no surprise when I tell you that it didn't go over the line when I see you in Cannons over your summer break !! 8) 8) 8) 8)

fensaddler
UTS Veteran

Sat May 07, 2005 8:20 pm

Great to see Matty score a really good individual goal - JJ has (rightly) been getting all the plaudits recently, but Matty is a good player and he has deserved the award he received. Good to see Kris back and scoring too, and even though it wasn't a great game for Wright, glad he got one to cap a good season's hard work. The Stockport fans were terrific, and I'm pleased by the way both sets of fans behaved at the end, that was good to see. Jonny Harkness barely put a foot wrong all match in two different positions, and looks a good player. Bradley did look at sea, though there were a number of good passes as well. It would be great to keep Gerrard, he looks a very effective player - talent, good attitude, fit. See you all in August.

Cully
Site Addict

Sat May 07, 2005 8:33 pm

Must admit rather a reasonable end to the season, our modest display at times threatened to spoil my pre-match meal, in particular the custard served with my apple crumble, one of the few pleasures I have enjoyed without prejudice at Bescot Stadium this season. I could best describe the match as being typical Merson hegomany, and therein lies the contradition, we have watched/suffered possibly the greatest range of displays from a Walsall team this season, from outright brilliance to the dismal displays both home and away and still I cannot see any consistant management style from PM other than his obvious 'charisma technique'. None of us know exactly what we are going to get next season from our 'leader', I predict the only consistant thing will be the custard.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat May 07, 2005 8:53 pm

Well it may only be custard Cully, but it's a start ! :D

Stonnall_Saddler

Sat May 07, 2005 9:17 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:Well it may only be custard Cully, but it's a start ! :D

geoff where your match report mate, i enjoy hearing your antics :cry:

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat May 07, 2005 9:32 pm

:lol: Don't recall much happening today mate.

Met up with Doffer and the lovely Babs in the Saddlers Club, he had a go at me about my gut once again - very rude and personal of him, I thought - but I smiled politely, and on reflection he was right though, I must lose it (or at least a fair bit of it) over the summer, and return in August with a 28 waist ( fat chance, literally! ).

Mind you, on further reflection, the two pre-match pints, the Balti Pie and Bovril were not a good start on the route to a new trimmer me ! At least the temptation of the irresistible Balti Pies will be absent for the next three months, which might help.

Match highlights were compressed into about 5 minutes at the end, I shall discuss those tomorrow as I have a pressing engagement with a pint glass at the Prince of Wales, Watling Street, in just a few minutes - and I need a shower first !

I would stay in and abstain, but the pub will be reasonably well populated with Birmingham, Villa and Albion fans, so naturally my attendance tonight is essential, just to piss 'em off - well not so much the Baggies really, great point today, and I truly hope they get out of it, but I shan't be telling them that - NO WAY ! :lol:

Next
Return to 2004-05 Season