Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Stockport County (h)-League-7th May 2005

Reports and reaction from the 2004-05 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
Ace

Sun May 08, 2005 12:19 am

geoffwhiting wrote:Met up with Doffer and the lovely Babs in the Saddlers Club

Me 'n Rob met Doffer as well. He seemed over the moon to see us :D Excellent bloke!

Crete Saddler

Sun May 08, 2005 6:39 am

Just bumped into poor old Surrey on the beach. He really should know better at his age, eyeing up all those topless birds

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sun May 08, 2005 10:15 am

Have you noticed how this match was like the whole season condensed into one match?

Playing against poor opposition there was some bright play early on, but it did not lead to much. Just when we thought we had made the breakthrough we let ourselves down badly. As time went on we became more and more ragged. We missed some easy chances. It began to look as if we could be beaten by a very poor side.

Then just as things were looking bleak in the last five minutes we suddenly began to play the way we should have been playing all along. Three good goals and everybody forgets about the 85 minutes of rubbish and goes home happy.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun May 08, 2005 11:14 am

Oh bloody 'ell Bernie, you've just summed up everything about yesterday, quite perfectly, in a couple of paragraphs.

Now I can't think of anything more to add.

Sod it ! :lol:

Oh yes, it seems Perps didn't appear 'cos he (or his agent) had turned down his contract offer, and Matty gets himself a bonus for scoring 15 goals this season.

Oh and another thing, Sunday Mercury report says our offer for JJ matches the terms he's on at Leeds. If that's true I'm (a) surprised (b) pleased (c) hopeful but (d) nervous. Just hope this isn't left hanging in mid-air for ages.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun May 08, 2005 11:15 am

Geoff, you missed out e) a Dutchman - unless Waterman has dipped into his pocket, perhaps? JJ is on a lot of money up there.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun May 08, 2005 11:48 am

I woke up with my optimistic head on this morning Neil. :D

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Sun May 08, 2005 12:04 pm

I feel really sorry for Stockport - not for having conceded three late goals to us - but for their disasterous season.

I've been to see them a few times this season, sitting with the Stockport fans for all but the Walsall game. Sammy Mac in his first match programmes notes stated that he didn't see why Stockport wouldn't be challenging for promotion come May next year. They lost that game to a very poor Huddersfield. In fact, every time I've seen them, they have lost and been extremely poor. I've had to endure a hard season as a Walsall fan but compared to a Stockport fan, it has been nothing. These guys have sat their watching totally inept perfomances, watched their team being swept aside by teams who have been frankly quite awful. Yet the fans have stuck by them, continuing to support their team after relegation and a whole season of dire performances.

It kind of brings things into perspective. They like, Walsall, have plummeted, but in their case, the slide has been so much more spectacular. In the past few years, they have dropped from being a mid-table "Championship" team to a very poor (now) "League Two" team. Their fans, like ours, want to know what has happened. Their fans, like ours, have been having their weekends ruined, but even more so. Despite the torment, their fans stick by their team, through thick and thin. I hope they do well in League Two next year.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun May 08, 2005 12:45 pm

I hope they do well too. Their fans were great yesterday, and considering where they are in the league and how long it's been since their relegation was confirmed, I was amazed how many of them had made the trip.

Best of luck to 'em for 2005/06.

Timmy

Sun May 08, 2005 1:36 pm

scotty- it did cross the line mate, i was in line with it, the whole ball was over!

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun May 08, 2005 2:10 pm

Cully wrote:Must admit rather a reasonable end to the season, our modest display at times threatened to spoil my pre-match meal, in particular the custard served with my apple crumble, one of the few pleasures I have enjoyed without prejudice at Bescot Stadium this season. I could best describe the match as being typical Merson hegomany, and therein lies the contradition, we have watched/suffered possibly the greatest range of displays from a Walsall team this season, from outright brilliance to the dismal displays both home and away and still I cannot see any consistant management style from PM other than his obvious 'charisma technique'. None of us know exactly what we are going to get next season from our 'leader', I predict the only consistant thing will be the custard.

Its all gravy Cully :lol: :lol: Well the last month has been anyway. And if we can keep the majority of the loan signings I don't see why it can't continue.

I agree with all of the above. It was a slow game and if anything despite the possession Stockport seemed a bit better for some reason.

I agree with Dave, I think if Wrack had scored the pen we'd have gone on to win by 5 or 6 like I predicted at the top. In fact if the game had gone on for another 5 mins we'd have won by 5 or 6! Did anybody else wonder why Wrack took the free kick? I know he's took them before but I just wonder if he can't agree terms and wanted to sign off with a goal. The penalty apart, Wrack was poor in the first half and he didn't seem switched on at all!

Bradley and Harkness did ok without being outstanding but its good to give them the experience as they might figure more often next season.

All of our recent success has been due to us scoring early goals so this match pleased me in a way because a couple of months ago the game would have petered out and ended goaless or even ended up with us losing. But we kept plugging away and were inspired by Fryatt's brilliance.

I have to say bring on next season, I can't wait and I hope Merson can continue his improvement in management.

Dave Williams

Sat Jun 04, 2005 4:46 pm

I thought thta it was a poor game apart from the last five mins

Previous
Return to 2004-05 Season