Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Hull City (h) - League - 23rd April 2005

Reports and reaction from the 2004-05 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Apr 23, 2005 4:56 pm

you know whats going to happen now, JJ to Hull, its bound to

simcity47

Sat Apr 23, 2005 5:09 pm

Championship? your having a laugh!

Loved that chant.

Standings finishing aside, they were brilliant today.

im so chuffed tonight. shoukd have been 6-0.

lets go for 60points!!!

Walsall Supporter

Sat Apr 23, 2005 5:15 pm

Best match I have seen at bescot for a long long time, if only we could of played like that all season, it would of been us promoted!
Just under 8,000, atmosphere was very good, friendly banter on the way to the match and after, afterall they weren't that bothered they had lost due to the fact they were promoted already.

Loved the EASY EASY chants and "can we play you every week."

Well done the lads, very entertaining from start to finish.

tigers

Sat Apr 23, 2005 5:39 pm

Im a Hull supporter from Birmingham - i was born in hull, go to most games. I have to say i don't think today was about Walsall especially being very good. We were just useless. Looks like the championship is beyond us now. That was the worst performance all season
Saying that i thought you were better than your position. On paper you are as good as anyone in the league, what went wrong? Looks like bad management to me, apart from today of course.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sat Apr 23, 2005 5:44 pm

I thought that looked like the complete reversal of the fixture at the KC. You tried to play "narrow" with Barmby "in the hole" and, just like we have when Merson has played the same way, got destroyed down the flanks. You played as well as you were allowed to.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Apr 23, 2005 5:52 pm

totally agreed neil

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 23, 2005 6:11 pm

I thought Hull were up for it until the second goal went in.

Hairy Saddlebags
UTS Regular

Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:18 pm

Saddler Jim wrote:I'm going for a 3-0 lose,the reason every time I predict a win they lose,and visa -versa,

Can you predict 46 3-0 defeats for next season, Jim? Ta.

Didn't expect that today, thought we might have to fight for a point, but without taking owt away from our performance, I don't think Hull were really fully commited today. We might have seen a different game had they needed three points to go up.

I'm still undecided as to whether Merson should stay or go, although I think today proved that he shouldn't start any more games; coming off the bench for half an hour is the limit of what he should do.

Did anyone else notice Hull's No. 4 Ian Ashbee acting like a 12 year old today. After we scored our first goal he was putting his middle finger up and then his two fingers up to our fans in the Purple, but holding them up against the side of his face so the ref couldn't see. The sort of thing most people grow out of by the time they start secondary school. Made me laugh anyway, I was sort of hoping we would goad him and get him sent off a la the "You Fat fool" chants that caused Gary Brabin to show us his belly and receive his second yellow card in a game against Blackpool.

cal's a saddler
UTS Regular

Sat Apr 23, 2005 8:35 pm

What a lovely way to spend a saturday!! :D

Yes I know Hull have been promoted all ready and didnt need the points but thought we were brilliant! Thought Osborne had an absolute stormer of a game, J J was top class. Thought Gerrard, Ropes, and Perpetuini did well. Now I know we don't need Merson to play we can cope quite well with him on the side lines! Stay there Merse plz :wink:

Thought the our fans were great today. I loved the chant "You can stick ur party up ur arse" so much fun had today! Lets hope its the start of a good thing.

WFC4Eva

Sat Apr 23, 2005 8:36 pm

Match today was excellent, best performance of the season. The whole team played well! roper and gerrard are looking more and more solid each game they play together. Osborn was excellent all game in the holding role in midfield, allowing surman and standing to cause havoc in the hull midfield/defence as they attacked. Joachim was amazing my man of the match with out doubt, i hope we can sign him permantly in the summer as he would guarantee at least 20 goals for us next season.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Apr 23, 2005 8:40 pm

Seems like Ian Ashbee has been watching too much Peter Kay then, HS. :lol:

Neil is spot on, Hull weren't uncommitted, PM got the tactics right, and once we settled Hull were out-thought and out-played on the day. OK, maybe they would have fought longer if they had really needed the points, but there are times when you can only play as well as the opposition allows you - today was one such day.

Apart from two stunning saves by their keeper from Surman's first-half volley and the late header, we could have scored on at least five or six other occasions when we either skied the ball over the bar or pulled shots wide from excellent opportunities. In contrast, Oakes made one decent save early on from Barmby's 20 yard shot, found himself well-placed to make routine saves on a couple of occasions, but generally had one of his easiest games since he joined us.

On the day, a 6-0 hammering would not have flattered us, which just demonstrates what this team might be capable of. There is great potential in the current team, the problem is, how to keep it together? Sadly, I doubt if it can be done. Naturally, I hope I am wrong.

Three straight wins have tempted me to say give Merson until Christmas and see how next season progresses. But it's not that simple. I can't help thinking back to dire performances that include Slough and Colchester, and a relegation six-pointer vs Torquay as recently as 3 weeks ago when we simply (and unforgiveably) failed to turn up, and we were very fortunate to grab that point that retained the 6-point cushion. With Torquay matching us ever since, how vital that lucky draw has turned out to be. And good luck to Torquay in their efforts to avoid the drop, I think they deserve to stay up.

Right now I am undecided on PM - 3 straight wins is hugely encouraging, but performances and results that went before can't just be scrubbed from the memory. I shall no doubt make my mind up in the very near future, but despite the elation, I think today is just a bit too soon.

Congratulations to PM and the lads on their most complete performance of the season, we saw it for 2/3 of the game at Peterborough, and for the whole game today - superb !

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sat Apr 23, 2005 9:17 pm

ABSOLUTELY IMMENSE.

From start to finish we were superb and I don't think Hull came to play their season out. They will have still wanted to win the title although it didn't look that way. This formation relies so heavily on Joachim's pace and finishing but I'm quite happy for that to be the case as long as we have him and regardless of his injury record we must try to sign him (although like METFAN says it wouldn't surprise me if he went to Hull now!)

Well done PM. Far too late for me but I'll be prepared to forgive you if thats the norm next season.

I find it a bit ironic that on the way out people were talking about securing safety after thrashing a promoted side 3-0. Just shows what we could have done this season. Lets hope its next season now.

As I mentioned on another thread yesterday I hoped for a sunny day, a big crowd, lots of noise and a win to spoil their party and we got the lot.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Apr 23, 2005 9:43 pm

what happened the last time a striker of ours scored a hat trick against a team and we tryed to sign him?

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:07 pm

Brilliant today but I can't have been the only one coming away saying "about f---ing time". Should have played like that all the time. I don't buy that Hull weren't trying. Maybe after we scored our second they gave up, but until then we just didn't let them play. I'm pleased they've gone up because they have proven you CAN get out of this league by playing football and I hope that's what we do next season.

Like others I'm undecided on PM but he probably earned himself a new contract today. I think the 4-5-1 relies totally on Joachim - we couldn't do it without him - and it's essential to try to sign him up, but whether it's realistic or not has to be a big doubt. He's obviously a big pal of Merson which might help, but having scored 5 in 6 for us there's bound to be clubs in the Championship who'd want him if he left Leeds. Let's face it, he'd probably still be in the Premier if he hadn't had his injury problems.

We were superb today. Best performance since before Christmas 2003.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:54 pm

Excellent performance. No one let us down today. Great to see players shooting, even if most were way off target. Too often this season we have got the ball in range of goal and then turned away, generally losing the ball before we make another chance.

My one worry is that I don't think that Fryatt, Leitao, Birch, Robinson, Williams or Atenio (the other strikers we have played this season) would have scored from any one of the three chances that Joachim took so well.

An argument in favour of Merson is that Joachim would probably not have come here without Merson and the only chance we have of him staying here is if Merson stays.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:56 pm

Matty would have buried them! :P

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sat Apr 23, 2005 11:00 pm

wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:Matty would have buried them! :P

Agreed. Matty would have finished the chances easily although he wouldn't have had the pace to get into the scoring positions in the first place unfortunately.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Apr 23, 2005 11:26 pm

Agreed. :lol:

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:52 am

Wasn't there yesterday but a general point on 4-5-1 and Joachim. Granted we can play that system with him because he leads the line brilliantly. I think that system is now proven away from home, and personally I don't mind it at home either, because with Wrack, Standing, Surman and Wright, we have plenty of attacking threat and width. However this squad is equally well set up to play 4-4-2 should Joachim get injured, or the tactics of a game require it. If its possible to make the necessary signings then I reckon this could be a successful basis for next season, of course with the financial consequences of blowing this season in the manner we have that is a big "if". Really looking forward to next week's game should be a cracker.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:15 pm

Yes, Geordie, but it always was - one left winger and some organisation later - only it took eight months!

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:07 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:

Agreed. Matty would have finished the chances easily although he wouldn't have had the pace to get into the scoring positions in the first place unfortunately.

I'm surprised you seem to think Matty lacks pace, MMF. Although he is not THE fastest, he is one of our quicker players (admittedly, compared with some of his team-mates, that is not difficult :D )

I was more frustrated by the appalling finishing of Standing and Surman. It is no exaggeration to say that yesterday could have seen Hull's most humiliating ever defeat!

Incidentally, it was pleasing to see the warm reception given, by the Tigers' fans, to two of their former players, Andy Oakes and Jon Whitney. Merson and those on the bench were most amused by Whitters' "lap of honour" in front of the applauding Hull fans.

London Saddler

Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:11 pm

Arrived half an hour before kick off as usual to find chaos regarding parking. Despite having a season parking permit, stewards said there was no parking left as a number of the spaces had been taken by Hull's large following. How on earth had they been allowed to park in places reserved for home fans with permits? Like others, i had to leave the ground and find a space in one of the side streets. It is a well known fact that even with only 5000 crowds, it can take 15mins-30mins to leave Bescot by car unless u leave early. Yesterday a mate of mine says he got into his car at 4.55 and didnt reach home to streetly till 6pm! all i can say is thank goodness we don't get 8000+ crowds every week as we certainly can't handle it

As for the match, i couldn't believe what i was seeing. Forget 3-0, we sud have won by 7 or 8. We absolutley ripped them apart. The best footballing side in the division who have alreay been promoted and have won 10 times away from home were made to look like a pub outfit. Defensively after a shaky start, we were untroubled. This is the first decent game i have seen Perpetuni and Pead have (admittedly i only go to a few away games). Roper didn't lose a header and Gerrard looks more awesome with every game. Oakes looked solid. In midfield we were magnificent. Our passing was a joy and Hull were just chasing shadows. Only complaint was that sometimes in the first half, we did tend to overplay and try to score the perfect goal. We missed some absolute sitters and their goalkeeper made some great saves

Basically we have stayed up due to Joachim. 4-5-1 works only if u have a top front man. Yesterday he absolutely terrorised the Hull defence. I am amazed that for such a small man, how many headers he wins and how little he is shrugged or muscled off the ball. And with his pace, even run of the mill long balls r turned into good balls. If we had had him last season we wud not have gone down and if we had had him this season we wud have finished a lot higher up. Even Peter Taylor admitted that no striker this season had given his defence such a run round as Joachim had

But next season, with the transfer window, we will not b able to bring in loans like Joachim if we r struggling. We have to try and keep him. I can't see Leeds keeping him as they r still in big financial trouble and i doubt whether they will want to keep a 31 yr old reserve player on big wages. whilst i'm sure there will b plenty of interest in him, he is 31, he is injury prone and he has failed at 2 championship clubs. He apparently says he wud b interested in staying and of course he knows Merse from his Villa days. I think basically its going to boil down to wages and what kind of package we can offer him. Over to u Mr Bonser

saddlersam
UTS Legend

Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:05 pm

first chance i've had to post since the match but i must praise everyone involved in the game for WFC. following on from that brilliant second half performance again Peterboro', it showed what our team can do when fingers are pulled out.

Barmby - anonymous
Elliot - anonymous
Ashbee - anonymous.

All of a sudden our marking became much tighter and more controlled which meant from that we built a great attacking perfomance. Andy Oakes mite as well have brought a deck chair.

Safe at last.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:32 pm

Leamore Saddler wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:

I'm surprised you seem to think Matty lacks pace, MMF. Although he is not THE fastest, he is one of our quicker players (admittedly, compared with some of his team-mates, that is not difficult :D )

I was more frustrated by the appalling finishing of Standing and Surman. It is no exaggeration to say that yesterday could have seen Hull's most humiliating ever defeat!

Incidentally, it was pleasing to see the warm reception given, by the Tigers' fans, to two of their former players, Andy Oakes and Jon Whitney. Merson and those on the bench were most amused by Whitters' "lap of honour" in front of the applauding Hull fans.

Yeah but Matty or anyone else in our team is in Joachim's league for pace though are they Leamore?! I still say Matty wouldn't have got into the positions for the second two goals to score them.

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:27 pm

well, just returned from Hornsea ( sunny but f**king freezing ) for the weekend. What a shock I had when I saw the result, good stuff walsall!. A bit of revenge over hull was nice too!

Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:15 pm

:shock: I thought 2-1 hull but I was amazed at 3-0 Walsall :shock:

Previous
Return to 2004-05 Season