Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Peterborough United-(a)-League-16th April 2005

Reports and reaction from the 2004-05 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
Surrey Saddler
Glitterati

Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:02 pm

Well there we are fellow saddlers, safety assured. As has been pointed out the first half was pretty dire. We looked as if we could be better than them but all we did was to hoof it forward onto Joachim's head and hope for the best. Second half we came alive, played it along the ground and put some good moves together. Will Merse be here next year? That is the question. Came away walking on air, good to see Doffer, UCOW, Geoff and Cannock. Another question- is this team good enough for a promotion push next year? May be not- sorry to put a damper on things but Peterborough were pretty dreadful- we won't play teams like that every week.

Stu
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:22 pm

Hednesfordred wrote:My only disagreement would be about Pead. Although i thought he defended well, he should be getting forward a lot more when we are on top.

That depends on your view of what a full back should be. We've spent far too long struggling to find full backs good enough of defending well, whilst still offering an attacking element. We've seen with Bazeley, Wright, Aranalde and Kris Taylor how easy it is to take advantage.

I think Merson is coming around to the idea that his defence is actually there to defend, and not to attack. So Pead provides some solid defending to the backline, my only concern is his lack of height.

I'd much prefer to have a solid back 4 and a midfield that got forward, than a rampaging right back who constantly leaves us exposed.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:13 pm

Agree with pretty well everything Stu has said - we totally dominated the second half and, I thought, had got to terms with them after half an hour and had controlled most of the last 15 mins of the first half.

Second half it seemed only a matter of time before we scored, the two that duly arrived were no surprise, and but for a couple of excellent saves by Tyler from cross-shots that seemed destined for the far corner of the net, it would have been much more convincing than 2-0.

We did what we had to do today, and did it well, so now we are surely as good as safe and can hopefully go into the Hull game next week without too much pressure upon us.

My first time on a standing terrace for bl**dy ages, and it was absolutely great! Atmosphere in our end was superb, our fans drowned the Posh fans completely. Especially good to be on the terraces with Cannock, ucow and Doffer for company, plus Surrey second half. How great would it be to get that back at Bescot?

Altogether a most enjoyable day, and nice to have a happy journey back from an away trip, in the very enjoyable company of Cannock.

Must admit I felt sorry for the Posh fans, they now know how we were feeling after the Rotherham game last season. Felt especially sorry for Barry Fry, whose post-match summing-up on Radio Cambridge was accurate and honest, as you always get from BF.

Just one down-side today - no bl**din' Balti Pies on sale at London Road - still, the Cornish Pasties were quite Pukka'n decent ! :D

Stu
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:06 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:Just one down-side today - no bl**din' Balti Pies on sale at London Road - still, the Cornish Pasties were quite Pukka'n decent ! :D

Better not tell you that there were Balti Pies then, at 10 to 3 at least, they just weren't written on the board. :lol:

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:39 pm

Really enjoyed today, saw Addo in the car park then made my way to the seats for a forgettable first half, although I never felt we were in danger.

Second half was awesome. Great interpassing with the midfield taking special credit..

Fantastic support. Gerrard was Pissing himself laughing with the "Easy" claps and chants after the second goal.

Look forward to seeing more of the same at home for a change.

Cannock
UTS Regular

Sun Apr 17, 2005 12:15 am

Excellent second half summed up superbly by Stu.

I couldn't believe my eyes watching Uncle Whiting sing for 90 minutes!

Still, back to the H.L. Fellows and the thermos next week eh!

PS Thanks for the lift mate. It's nice to travel to away games in comfort.

Marvellous.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Apr 17, 2005 12:39 am

You're most welcome Cannock, any time. Mind you, awesomely comfortable as the Volvo S60 may be, it can't be a patch on C&D's executive jet ! Anyone see that land at Peterborough Airport today by the way? :lol:

PS - hope you got some food before tonight's party mate.

Stu, I bl**dy asked them what pies they'd got, and all they said was Steak & Kidney and Chicken & Mushroom. I was attacked by a boiling hot example of the S&K at Molineux two years ago and haven't touched one since ( though Cannock tried one today and, just as I would have expected, it attacked HIM :lol: ), and I find the C&M are usually cr@p, though admittedly it's a matter of taste and opinion. Anyway, I rejected both and went instead for the Cornish Pastie which was very acceptable.

Also, as expected, they removed the cap from my Coke - little did they know about the spare cap I had taken in with me as a precautionary measure, cunningly concealed in a plastic bag in my pocket.

Such a satisfactory day all round really - the company was great, the Cornish Pasties were fine, the Coke stayed fizzy, Walsall won, and Cannock seems to have got a few shocks - bl**dy awesome day all round I'd say ! :lol:

Exilenotloggedin

Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:39 am

I'm well pleased (again) with this result. Well pleased.

Back-to-back away wins for the first time since....December '03 by my reckoning, when first Wimbledon then Cardiff fell to the mighty Saddlers (Emblen scored the winner on both occasions!).

I'm reserving judgement on Mr. Merson once more, until he selects the next home team and formation. It looks as though he's finally turned the corner (and god, has it taken a long time) on away games, so let's see what happens at home, to be sure he's learnt anything at all or whether this is just (another) false dawn / flash in the pan / 1976 Austin Allegro.

Note to Ernie and Zippy - I'm pleased with the win, as I'm a fan. less of your harping on, please (Ernest).

Wharfie

Location: Just down the Wednesbury Road, seeing the Walsall Aces...

Sun Apr 17, 2005 12:05 pm

Absolutely superb day out yesterday - loved every minute. Even going into the bogs and finding one of them old piss-walls - a proper old terrace!

Highlights:

a) The two goals - brilliant
b) The players celebrations - right by where I was stood at the front of the terrace with my Walsall FC Flag (look for it on the telly highlights and you'll probably see me going mental!)
c) The atmosphere in the away end - especially the "Barmy Army" that lasted for about 5 solid minutes - I didnt hear a single Peterborough song all game
d) The first time in my life ive ever been able to do the Soccer AM "Easy, Easy, Easy" at a Saddlers game
e) "We can see you sneaking out" and "We'll meet again"

Well done Merse and the boys. The game plan was sound, and it just took a bit of working at it and waiting patiently for the ball to fall in the right places. We could all see that the goals were coming. I thought everyone did their bit today, nobody was hiding, same goes for the fans.

And if the lads at the front who were helping me with my betting results are reading this, cheers for your help lads but I didnt get my grand and a half in the end! But who cares really, cos the Reds are staying up!!!

Cheers all
Wharfie

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Sun Apr 17, 2005 12:14 pm

Lets not get carried away, eh. We won against a very poor team yesterday but like ive always said you can only beat what your up against.
Fair play to the lads another "professional performance".

Oakes- had nothing to do
Pead- IMHO a few views are OTT with him, ok he was good but nothing exceptional.
Gerrard & Ropes- Were not really tested but headed the ball away easily from corners and set pieces.
Purpletweenie- I thought he was better of the two full backs yesterday, got caught out once or twice but hes the attacking minded full back opposed to the better tackler in Pead.
Wracky- His best game for some time.
Ozzie- Ive criticised him for far too long but i have been impressed with his last dozen performances leading by example. I dont know whats made him change but i like it.
Surman- Is it coincidence that our last three away wins have been with him in the team. Hes a good young kid lets get him on a season long loan.
Wright- Has improved greatly since his move to WINGER
Standing- I like this guy just wish people would not give him the stick that he doesnt deserve. Hes an attack minded player that isnt afraid to shoot, he would be the 1st name on my teamsheet every week.
JJ- This guy does what jorge did a few years ago. Tireless running, pace past the defence and very tricky feet. Lets hope Merse can persuade him to stay like he said in the mercury.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Apr 17, 2005 1:43 pm

Great day and unlike too many occasions this season I was celebrating into the night instead of coming on the board to moan :lol: At least losing most away games has saved me plenty of money on beer on Satruday nights!

I'd go along with pretty much what Stu says. Average first half performance but outstanding in the second. Some of the link up play between Surman, Osborn, Wright, Joachim and especially Standing was superb, very slick.

I also agree with Stu about Pead. Forget about attacking qualities thats what the midfield is for. He is steady and more importantly frees Wright to play in midfield. I said get off his back and wait to judge him when he's in midfield and he hasn't disappointed.

Very encouraging signs from Gerrard that he wants to stay if he's not offered something at Everton and he would be good for next season.

Merson please note: You haven't figured in either of the last two games, 4-5-1 was played both times and we won. STICK TO IT. Even at home now I'd say.

The support was excellent yesterday, best this season and it must make a difference to the team. Keep it up.

To any Saddlers fans behind or in front of a car releasing lots of red balloons on the way home, that was us. :lol:

PS - Before any happy clappers think I'm being too positive I'd like to put this result in to proportion and say this is what we should have expected in the majority this season NOT the minority and it only makes you wonder what could have been this season. There was a big air of relief amongst Saddlers but some of the celebrations was OTT.

Anybody would think Merson had led us to an FA Cup final or a Champions League spot. He's only done what should have been done all season.

Guy Emery

Time to Take a Stand

Sun Apr 17, 2005 1:55 pm

Agree that it's pointless congratulating Merson on a win against a poor team that played below standard. It's time for him to step aside. He had good days as a player but has failed to deliver.

Time for a new man in the Saddle - just desserts for appointing a man who likes his drink a bit too much and is not the brightest spark !

Guy Emery

Predictions - P'boro

Sun Apr 17, 2005 1:58 pm

Think they'll be lucky 2-2 draw.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:50 pm

Just as an aside, and taking a leaf out of Coxanddrummie's book, I was of the understanding that this division was poor from top to bottom, and that there's very few teams capable of playing anything remotely resembling a decent game of football. I've lost count of the times I;ve read on here that we played against very poor opposition, but looked worse ourselves, and that only a couple of changes would have made the difference. Credit where it's due - those changes were made and the team looked good enough to make the opposition appear very poor.

To say 'you can only play what you're up against' cuts both ways - Posh certainly couldn't play what they were up against.

North London Saddler

4-5-1

Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:32 pm

Totally agree with wfc_2uk. The 4-5-1 system with right players is the answer. There was a post a couple of weeks ago saying that some clubs were looking to sign Standing cause they thought he could play. Yesterday shows that in the right system he can be a class act. So he can't defend, who cares if he can pass and shoot - there are plenty of good players who can't tackle. What they need is players round them to win the ball and give it to them. If we stick with this system and give young players like Standing and Surman the right support we could be on the road to something better next season. Assuming we don't lose them in the summer !!!!!!

Previous
Return to 2004-05 Season