Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Bradford (a) - League - 11th December 2004

Reports and reaction from the 2004-05 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
papa chango

Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:25 pm

:D I'm king of the bongo hit me when I come.

Just got back from the game. The team played well and the new boy was very good. He is strong and fast and what is more it looks like he's got a footalling brain. When Merse had the ball he was making runs, finding space. Meron was putting the ball into the space
knowing that Robinson was expecting the ball. Today lads there was real movement up-front. We were the better team and we looked dangerous in attack.

King of the bongo hit me when I come :D

THIS IS SJ I FORGOT TO LOG IN.

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:37 pm

Of the away games I have been at it was definitely the best performance.I thought we were really unlucky not to come away with 3 points ( as some Bradford fans commented on walk back to station).Thought merson had a vg game (though perhaps should have taken himself off in last few minutes as he looked prettty tired).His ball through for the goal was sublime & Robinson took it really well.If he carries on like this then he is an excellent addition to the squad.
We seemed to have lots of movement up front & should have gone on to score more.Great pity about that chance,when Robinson & Standing seemed to get a bit in each others way,as a goal looked certain.Considering Roper went off without an obvious replacement I thought we adapted & it was gutting to give away what looked like a really scrappy equaliser,especially as i thought that they were never going to score.
We must take the positives from this performance .Looking forward to them carrying on like this at Sheff wed on boxing day

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:52 pm

Now that was better... :D Nice passing, we actually ATTACKED away from home :?: Marvelous Marv looked quite promising, fast aware and strong.

A big up to the pompom girls, especially the "large one" :lol: Brightened up my day. :wink:

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Sat Dec 11, 2004 9:01 pm

the lads played really well. Bar the result I think thats the best away performance for a few years. We passed the ball around and actually attacked more than the home team.

Murphy- kicking was poor and didnt have much to do.

Wright- Probably his best game in a walsall shirt, attacked and defended well and got the majority of crosses over.

Bennett & Ropes- Solid but i think Ropes was the pick of the two.

Zigor- I thought he did better when he went as a centre back.

Standing- MOTM for me tiredless running against his old club.

Kinsella- Played the simple ball and got in a few decent tackles

Wrack- 100% from him again.

Merson- Always plays outstanding passes but he frustrates you sometimes when he doesnt find a man considering hes in a dangerous position.

Leitao- 100% from him but he missed 3 good chances.

Fryatt- Didnt do much in 10 mins

Robinson- MARVelous finish decent debut he held the ball up well and out ran the defence.

Praise for the fans today. Not many there but san from first to last whistle.
Continue like this lads and a play-off place will be ours.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Sat Dec 11, 2004 9:14 pm

Must agree about the fans, Well done, disappointed by the "quiet" home fans, they only came to life when they scored. Liked the "You only sing when you're drawing" song? And the Bin Laden song? but don't think we should go there!!!!! :oops:

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sat Dec 11, 2004 9:24 pm

Very pleasing performance today, probably the best away performance this season.

We defended strongly, were workmanlike yet creative in midfield and we took a chance! Yay! Jorge should have had 1 or 2 but at least he worked harder than in recent weeks.

They often come in for stick but I must say I though Wright and Zigor did very well today. Roper was good before going off, hope its not serious. Bennett, same as ever.

Standing was clearly up for it against his old team and was very involved, my man of the match. Wrack was dissapointingly quiet but got more involved towards the end. Kinsella is getting better as each game passes. Osborn even did ok but still had to have his obigatory pass direct to the opposition even when under no pressure.

Jorge and Robinson did well. Robinson certanly added a different dimension to our attacking play. Got around a lot but was offside too often and needs to improve his first touch. Got into good positions though and with the right service could score a lot. Took his goal very well after getting into space and asking for the ball from Merson, he got it and finished well.

We worked hard and defended well depsite all the changes with the injuries. If we can add this resilience to all our away performances we could still do something yet this season.

Salop Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Dec 11, 2004 9:42 pm

Agree with the above. A really pleasing performance and we're beginning to look a half (and I repeat a half) decenct side on the back of todays game.

Stu
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 11, 2004 10:15 pm

Quite interesting to see the contrasting views on Robinson with the fans and the live commentary pair.

They both said they weren't particularly impressed by Robinson, poor first touch, gave away needless free kicks and led to our attacks breaking down with his constant straying offside.

In fact, Mick Kearns did say "Robinson has been Bradford's best defender so far" at one point during the match.

I'm not judging either way as I couldn't be there, but the views are interesting.

Salop Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Dec 11, 2004 10:21 pm

Stu, I think the point made by MK was a valid one, Robinson does need to be a little more aware of the oppositions defensive line. Salop Jnr made the point that he was trying to do a 'Henry' by playing a yard or two behind the last man, clearly, if that is the case he needs to wise up because Henry he isn't!!! But he took his chance well in fairness to him.
Last edited by Salop Saddler on Sat Dec 11, 2004 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Dec 11, 2004 10:28 pm

That's more than I expected before the game, and now I feel we ought to have more. Greedy b'stard, me. Well done the Saddlers, and sounds like we adapted well as a side to the changes forced on us. How serious are the two injuries?

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:08 am

Excellent performance, really enjoyed it until we got mugged at the end.
This type of game shows how much this division is there for the taking, fifth top??

Missed chances cost us again, but apart from who plays up front I think the rest of the team just about picks itself now. Just a shame the Roper injury meant we had to re-shuffle. Robinson looks raw but definitely gives us another option. A player like him on the end of Merson's seemingly endless stream of through balls will be a handfull for most teams.

For the first time this season I can see logic and method in the selection and the way we play, and as with Stockport there was decent work rate and battling quality throughout the team. An absolute must we beat Blackpool next week to keep this going, it will be so frustrating if we don't.

Stonnall_Saddler

Sun Dec 12, 2004 2:33 pm

unlucky lads

saddlersmad

micheal standing M.O.M

Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:58 pm

for me micheal standing was sensational against his old club, clearly up for it against his old club and proved a point to bradford!

Previous
Return to 2004-05 Season