Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

AFC Bournemouth (H) - League - 12th March 2005

Reports and reaction from the 2004-05 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:50 pm

Match report now on line - kept it thankfully brief.

For whoever asked what went wrong after 20 minutes - that's when they figured out how much freedom Standing was getting and started to get closer to him, so the game began to pass him by and left us woefully short in midfield.

Also, can I have what some of those people ringing WM were on? Mind you, it can't be legal.

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:50 pm

What a load of rubbish that was. Merson's been manager for a year and still hasn't found a way for us to play without him at home.

No shape, no particular tactics, some awful individual displays... a relegation display. In fairness Bournemouth were good but we were just awful and I listened in disbelief to all the calls to WM saying how great we were and how wonderful Merson is.

Coleman did OK but let's face it, if he wasn't 18 everyone would have been on his back for his kicking and occasional hesitation in dealing with things. He did make a couple of decent saves and couldn't be blamed for either goal.

Wright was shocking, as bad as he was earlier in the season (which is saying something). Aranalde made some big mistakes and his positioning was poor at times, but then he was up against a good player in Elliot. Emblen and Roper were OK but where were they for the first goal!? I thought Osborn was excellent in the first half but ruined it by giving that free kick away in a stupid position. Standing was brilliant to set up our goal but he just isn't good enough to play in the "Merson position". Kris Taylor was my MOTM, and Wrack did well too, and seemed to be the only one really driving us on after we went 2-1 down. Up front Fryatt made a pigs ear of a couple of chances again (but he took his goal very well) and Leitao missed his customary one on one and didn't do much else.

From the bench - well, Daryl Taylor was very poor as usual, Surman did next to nothing (but his shot which hit the crossbar was pretty audacious) but Atieno was just about the one really good thing about our performance - I thought he was excellent.

The most depressing thing for me was Mick Halsall having to come down from the stand to keep telling Merson what to do. Our manager really just didn't seem to have a clue.

We're really in big big trouble now. We need three more wins, and fast.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:02 pm

Neil, i think it's a cocktail of Cocordonol, Pro plus, marrijuana and Coca Cola.

i'm glad i was not the only one to be amazed by the calls to wm. This season has exceeded all my expectations in sh!tness, and like may posters have said, it can get a lot worse unless we get our act together and fast.

If you take away the early goal today, what hope does that performance give us?

Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:21 pm

I just can't belive how disloyal some of you lot are. How the hell can you talk about other supporters like that. I think that those who rang WM were spot on. Paul is the man to lead this club.

So why don't some of you lot just stop moaning about things and just support the lads. Maybe then we can help the team and Paul to get the results they deserve. To all those people who continually boo at Bescot, you should hang your heads in shame.

You are a disgrace to this club and could even drive Merson away. JUST GET BEHIND THE LADS!!!

coxanddrummie

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:25 pm

Nice one C&D, very sincere words I'm sure ! :lol: :lol:

Unbiased

Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:34 pm

I think in six months time the positives from this game will be obvious even to those blinded by hostility to Merson. We have the best crop of youngsters this club has seen in 30 years. Merson is doing a magnificent job introducing them to first team football. Mark Wright - man of the match? without question. In my view he is player of the season. To think Colin Lee wanted to get rid of him! Moreover, Merson's ability to loan out players and bring them back at the right time is uncanny. The way Taylor and Atieno played today brought out the goosebumps. Are they exciting prospects? Promotion next season? Yes if Merson is allowed to finish the brilliant project he is masterminding.

Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:47 pm

I really am pissed off with the one sided nature of the stories on the home page. It's the same week in week out. While I sometimes agree with the slant of articles I can't help but think the off Merson and the Club stance on everything is getting tiresome.

Change the record for gods sake.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:01 pm

So come up with a better expalnation as to why we have failed to win any of our last five games and have taken only two points from the last 15, and , in fact, have won 13 competitive games in 46 attempts under Merson. Oh, I forgot - he's learning, isn't he?

Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:02 pm

Apart from Osborne the team played well today and showed real promise. Does anyone seriously doubt that Merson would take us up next season? If he had played today we would have strolled it.
The pleasure the anti-Merson agng get when we lose is pathetic. Buy Sky+ and watch Chelsea or Real Madrid you prats. True Walsall fans love the team and the manager. This season has been so refreshing and enjoyabke compared with what Graydon and Lee served up. Imagine how good Coleman, Atieno, Taylor, Taylor, Williams, Wright and Bennet will be if Merse gets the chance the chance to bring tem further on next year. The future's so bright ...we'll have to wear shades.

Unbiased

Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:07 pm

Neil - Luck is a fickle mistress. Wisdom reflects on the the evidence of the past and the omens its shadow prefigures. Those who wish Walsall well will see the signs of hope writ large and clear.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:12 pm

Oh I see, another Osborn hater. Strange how midfield lost it completely after he went off today. Good job Mark Wright and Daryl Taylor were so much better than him today!

My. my, how much better I am enjoying my football at Bescot these days, 3 points from 4 home games in Division 2, compared to promotion at Cardiff under Graydon or twice thrashing the Baggies in Division One.

Exciting ? Today ? I'd better get my heart tablets out to cope with it!

:evil:

Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:27 pm

Indeed he is learning Neil because the only thing that went against us today was the result. I don't blame the lads or Paul for that matter (lol, can't believe i just said blame and Paul in one sentence) I blame the referee. Many times today i felt his turban got in the way and ruined the concentration of the lads. That said it was still a great performance.

Coleman - Really thrived off the backing of his manager before the game
Wright - Justified man of the match. Reads the game superbly. Natural Premier right back
Aranalde - Natural defender. Superb distribution. Crosses are sublime
Roper - So comfy in possession. Beckenbaur esq in his distribution
Emblen - So quick on the turn. Never looks flustered.
Osborne - Great engine, so fit and always box to box
Wrack - Sheer quality
Taylor - Should have replaced Keane at Man U. Thank god for Burton Albion
Standing - Sublime skill in a free role, better than Gascoigne in his prime, not quite Merson yet though.
Fryatt - So busy second half
Leitoa - Energy efficient player. Rarely chases lost causes in order to use lethal pace and finishing when it matters.

A quick word also for the sub Daryl Taylor. Never in my life have i seen a player with such a great first touch. The future is bright, the future is Joe Broad who maestro Merson is holding back as the best kept secret in football. WE HAVE HIM FOR TWO YEARS, YIPEEEEEE.

COXANDDRUMMIE (the future is so bright people - FOR fudge SAKE BACK THE LADS!!!

BEACON SADDLER

Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:43 pm

the only way we will be wearing shades is to stop the reflection off row upon row of empty sets!
in the words of sheff
MERSON OUT NOW

redalways

Good, the indifferent and the Bad

Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:02 pm

The Good:

Kris Taylor - why did he go off whilst leitao stayed on in midfield, KT with one leg, double vision and a groin strain would do more than Leitao
Atieno - Some strength up front, bye bye boosy Jorge
Coleman - Nothing much to do, but he held his nerve
Osborn - no doubt his injury is forcing him off each week, but now starts well
Fryatt getting chances, despite being alone up front

The Indifferent

Emblen and Roper - did not do much wrong, but did you look at their immaculate posture, like a pair of Mersons. We need a coach to get everyone really fit
Zigor - OK, but glad he is rumoured to be going in the summer
Standing - ten or more years ago he would be a winger. He needs someone to give him the ball so that he can run with it - just like he did in the first 9 seconds - he is no Merson or Osborn

The Bad

Wrack - last year, I used to think he was the one really working in midfield, but he has lost his bottle. Every pass he makes is the easy one, five yards sideways or backwards

Wright - Feel sorry for him because he is playing out of position. Should be playing in front of an orthodox full back if anywhere. However I do not see him creating much or scoring anything.

Leitao - Works hard as usual - what a joke! He is meant to be a striker - when does he ever look like scoring? How much effective work does he do in the opponents penalty box? Our inability to turn good early midfield play into goals, is why we are not winning matches.He has got to go.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:13 am

Can't believe someone has the nerve to blame the ref today - he is one of the best we have had in a long time at Bescot. My interpretation of the game is as follows, and is similar to most others;

Good first 20 mins - great move for the goal. Good posession too.... then the rest of the game can be summed up in one word - Frustrating.

The main culprits for todays poor result were Wright & Emblen. Together they made so many mistakes and gave the ball away it was unbelievable. The only thing I would say for them is, that they did keep trying, and didn't hide from posession (perhaps they should have!). The one bright point I got from today was Colemans performance and that Atieneo (spely wrongly?) looked sharp when he came one - and came close twice with headers. I can't quite believe that I will still be spending over £623 on season tickets within the next week or two.

tinned
Site Addict

Re: Good, the indifferent and the Bad

Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:43 am

redalways wrote:Wright - Feel sorry for him because he is playing out of position. Should be playing in front of an orthodox full back if anywhere. However I do not see him creating much or scoring anything

I agree, he is out of position, he's on a football pitch. Two year contract ? Well come on Merse, give me one as well then.

Did anyone else quite understand Mersons tactic of taking off every midfielder on the pitch ? You'd think, if he was trying to remould the midfield, he would have used Broad to replace one of them wouldn't you ? Afterall he's done enough to warrant another two years of our limited resources.

When are people going to finally put the fact that Merson is a nice bloke to the back of their minds and realise he is taking this club down, way down ?

Unbiased, if wasn't so sure you were taking the p1ss then I would agree with you that next season will be exciting. I mean beating teams like Shrewsbury and Chester week in week out will be soooo exciting.

Dave Gittins
Glitterati

Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:03 am

Dave

Are you sure we could even beat Shrewsbury and Chester? On current form I'm not so sure.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:06 am

Agree with you about the ref's performance, aldridge steve, he was one of the best we've had this season. Apart from the obvious unusual (but welcome) sight of a turbanned Asian referee, he was hardly noticed, which is how a referee should be. I'd describe him as excellent (Leamore, where's my tablets?) :D

In fact I can only recall one bad decision, a corner awarded to Bournemouth late-on, when it was a quite clear goal-kick to us. Oh, and maybe one other - allowing their second goal - clearly a case of cruelty to the ball, hitting it that hard - our players are always so much gentler and fairer with it !

By the way steve, no-one was blaming the ref, that post of Guest's was just a complete wind-up.

Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:38 am

The problem with Walsall FC is not Jeff Bonser, Roy Whalley, Paul Merson, Colin Lee, Simon Osborn, Mark Wright or Zigor Aranalde.

It's moaning fans like Neil Ravenscroft, WFC2UK, Geoff Whiting, CoxandDrummie, Ernest, Dave Roe, Geordie, Phil, ucow, Sheff, Magic Man, Stu and whoever else comes on here day after day to do nothing but moan and argue about the Club.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:19 am

I do love a comedian

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:43 am

Merson hasn't played in the last six games. In those games, we have scored three goals. One of those was created by Merson when he came on as sub. At least going forward, we are a one man team. That man is 37 years old. And people say the future is bright!

Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:52 am

Not wanting to jump on a band wagon or anything, but it has been obvious to me all season.

The formation is crap !

We can just sometimes get away with it when Merson is on form, but it regularly exposes every one of our weaknesses.

As a club we simply cannot pick a formation based around an aging player who will at most only influence 30% of games.

No tough tackling midfield ball winner
Defensively poor full backs.
Powder puff front line.

I dread to see Jorges chance / goal ratio.
If you could take add the number of one-on-ones that Jorge has missed & then subtract the number of goalkeeping mistakes, we we would be top 6.

Some team selections are now beginning to really bug me.

Jorge works hard, & wins headers, but is that enough ?
You can rely on Ian Roper to do that, but would you play him up front every week ?

Oh for proper wingers who can beat a man & cross a ball...........Can I only dream ?
Darryl Taylor started the season so well, but its time to rent out his car parking space I think.

Surman was a real threat early on the left at Blackpool last week. This week he gets just 10 minutes.

Paul Merson.
I like the bloke.
His name will attract players that no-one else would.
I have given him every chance & allowed him this season.

But I am afraid to say its time to shape up or ship out.

saddlerken
Site Addict

Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:53 am

guest, any chance of you not being gutless and signing on to UTS properly? at least the people you slag off dont hide

addo
UTS Veteran

Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:55 am

sorry

that last one was me - i forgot to log on

:oops:

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Mar 13, 2005 1:32 pm

Anonymous wrote:The problem with Walsall FC is not Jeff Bonser, Roy Whalley, Paul Merson, Colin Lee, Simon Osborn, Mark Wright or Zigor Aranalde.

It's moaning fans like Neil Ravenscroft, WFC2UK, Geoff Whiting, CoxandDrummie, Ernest, Dave Roe, Geordie, Phil, ucow, Sheff, Magic Man, Stu and whoever else comes on here day after day to do nothing but moan and argue about the Club.

Either post under a name (or your usual name) or f*** off or are you quite happy to see us getting relegated again? T***

First half we played well I thought, had good possession and passed the ball well, we even created some chances but as has already been mentioned we didn't take them and kill the game off.

Second half we came out a different side and were poor and all the good work we had done was soone undone.

A mention for a few players.

Coleman - Good showing, could have lost by more if it hadn't been for 2/3 good saves. He was confident in coming for crosses and took them cleanly. Muprhy wouldn't have made the saves because as usual he'd have stood there watching. His kicking wasn't brilliant but that was probably nerves as much as anything. To be honest I'd keep him in and tell Murhpy to p1ss off back to the Albion the way he's let us down.

Wright - Awful, and I've defended him a lot. His inability to cross is infuriating as he gets into so many good positions. I can't believe we've given him a 2 year contract and the comfort zone it provides.

Roper - Same old but he did make one excellent pass yesterday!

Emblen - Poor in my opinion. He seems to have games where he is superb or games like he was yesterday. He wasn't helping Coleman either as two or three times he dallied waiting for Coleman when he should have dealt with it as the ball was outside of the box.

Standing - Thought he started excellently but like the team faded in the second half.

Wrack - Was poor and didn't look fully fit yet. I don't see why he started when Surman could have played.

Jorge - Lokked lively for the first time in a while but failed to take a good chance which would have killed the game for us.

Atieno - Thought he was excellent when he came on. Looked busy, was always asking for the ball, played it simple then got in the box looking to receive it back again. Deserved a goal in my opinion and was the only one who looked like getting it towards the end. He wins headers which Jorge doesn't do so I'd play him alongside Fryatt next week.

I said after last week its not looking good and it looks a whole lot worse now. We desperately needed to beat Bournemouth who were missing several players. We can't win away and now we can't win at home.

As Bristol mentioned, we need 3 more wins to be sure of safety after losing yesterday can someone tell me where they're going to come from? We really don't want to be leaving it until the last game of the season against Stockport needed to win to be safe.

My feelings on Merson have changed often this season and have often mirrored Stu's views so I'm keen to know what he know feels. Up until yesterday especially after Bonser has said Merson will be here next season I was of the opinion that we should stick with him until about November time next season and see where we are. Now I really think we need to act NOW before its too late. We can't make the same mistake we did last season and we certainly can't afford to end up in League 2 which as every week passes becomes more likely.

To those who say I'm being negative like the nob I've quoted above then quite frankly I don't care. I don't want to be watching my team in that cack bottom division again. This isn't a knee jerk reaction to another loss, its a view that has been formed by the fact that every time we take a step forward under Merson we take two back.

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Sun Mar 13, 2005 2:18 pm

with Oldham now a six pointer just wondering any chance of stumping up cash for balloons?! and get the atmosphere at Bescot like we did for Sheff Utd & Rotherham, just an idea because we dont want to wait for the last 2 games because I think it would be too late, its obvious that we will lose at Port Fail, so we NEED to win Oldham.

Zippy
Glitterati

Sun Mar 13, 2005 2:28 pm

Talking of atmosphere, I thought we were very quiet yesterday. Especially after taking such an early lead, but apart from an occassional 'Deano' nothing.

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Sun Mar 13, 2005 2:43 pm

Zippy I dont whether its a good thing or a bad thing.
I think walsall fans are being too patient and reserved. This time last season we were calling for Lee's head/bonsers head/slagging off osborn and being very worried about relegation. But NOW when we are on the downward spiral to league 2 footie everyones so quiet and i even saw 4 people clap mark wright off yesterday.

Sun Mar 13, 2005 2:45 pm

I can't believe some of you lot. Have you not read the papers today because Paul Merson has already said we are not going down. Have some faith in the man, he knows what he is saying and doing. All we have to do is sing and support the lads and everything will be ok.

I can't wait for next year to be honest with Merson at the helm. I just dearly hope that Man City don't come in for him because as loyal as Paul is he may be tempted by that position. Who's fault will it be? the fans for not backing him and driving the man away. You are not Walsall supporters because true supporters SUPPORT THIER TEAM, by clapping and singing.

Just look at the overall picture can you please. With the signing of Joe Broad as our midfield dynamo next year, nothing will stop us. If things start well next year Merson may even be able to tempt Alan Blayney here. After all top players are attracted by Merson as manager. I can't believe that im saying Merson is our manager, who would have thought it. I have to pinch myself sometimes.

Sometimes i wake up in the middle of the night and am terrified that it's all just a dream. We love you Paul, you are such a nice man and a legend. Im all emotional now. Altogether now PAUL MERSONS BARMY ARMY PAUL MERSONS BARMY ARMY PAUL MERSONS BARMY ARMY

COXANDDRUMMIE

Sun Mar 13, 2005 2:52 pm

By the way Zippy where do you sit? I was thinking i could link up with you one of the games so we can clap and sing together. That way we can show all these moaners how to support the lads. I agree with you how quiet Bescot is these days.

I bet Merson was so tempted yesterday to bring Broad on to raise the roof. Next year though eh. Oh and the year after. Altogether now PAUL MERSONS BARMY ARMY PAUL MERSONS BARMY ARMY.

COXANDDRUMMIE

PreviousNext
Return to 2004-05 Season