Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

AFC Bournemouth (H) - League - 12th March 2005

Reports and reaction from the 2004-05 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

AFC Bournemouth (H) - League - 12th March 2005

Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:14 pm

Match preview now on line. I've gone for a win, as they have loads of problems.

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:15 pm

a bit like ourselves Neil, 1-1.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:14 pm

I'm praying for a win, any win, half a goal to nil will do.

COME ON YOU SADDLERS!!!

Saddler Jim
UTS Regular

Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:06 pm

A must win game to take some of the pressure off,Saddlers to win 3-1

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:40 am

I predict an 8-0 win to the Saddlers. Hat tricks to Aranalde and Osborn and a brace for Mark Wright. The surprise return of Jimmy Walker in goal will see us keep a clean sheet comfortably, though he'll go on to miss a penalty in first half stoppage time.

I'm NEVER wrong about these things.

kneejercksaddler

Sat Mar 12, 2005 4:54 pm

Looking forward to going Grimsby & Boston next season? I'm not :cry:

Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:21 pm

usual story then. we dow finish matchs of, miss 2 many chances az well. fink coleman shud have dun better on there 2nd goal, thats y merse wanted a new goalie. now u all know y, yet sum ov u still slagged him off 4 it.

this yr as been so crap, we am now worried about goin down.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:01 pm

Mark Wright

Man of the Match

Mark Wright

Man of the Match

Mark

Wright

???????????? :shock: :?: :?: :?: :?:

I dispair

Giza

Another Defeat

Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:02 pm

Oh dear another defeat see us only seven points off the relegation zone. This is how i rated the players today.

Coleman 8/10 Did the simple stuff well and made some confidence boosting saves early on.
Wright 5/10 Sponsors man of the match!!!! One of his poorest games lately, poor crossing and defending.
Aranadle 6/10 Steady, had one shot go narrowly wide late on.
Roper 7/10 Ok performance, made some important blocks struggled a bit with the aerial prowess of Fletcher.
Emblem 7/10 Also did ok, B'mouth front two didn't really cause many problems
Standing 7/10 Started well with his run which set up Fryatt's 9 sec strike, gradually got weaker as the game went on subbed 10 min into 2nd half. Played in the merson role behind front two.
Osborn 7/10 Did well covering the back four, gave away the free kick for O'conner to score
Wrack 7/10 Worked hard, sometimes i think he is the only one who wants to play for Walsall!!!
K Taylor 7/10 Also tried hard today. Subbed along with Standing
Leitao 6/10 Poor again, he is really struggling of late. Works hard but we need him as a striker to score goals.
Fryatt 7/10 Scored Walsall's fastest ever goal after 9 seconds. Worked Moss on a trio of occasions. UNluck not to score more.

Surman 6/10 Came on in Mid, Hit the bar with a delicate chip 8min from time.
D Taylor 5//10 Poor, lightweight.
Atieno 6/10 Brought on to play as a 3 upfront, did well looked hungry and worked Moss with a great header

I still feel that we are not scouting for players again this week players who could have done a job for us are going to teams who i feel are crap.

Walsall Supporter

Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:11 pm

Back from the match, after a super opening goal, and what I thought was an attacking 20 mins, where bournemouth didn't get out of their own half for long, we failed to double our lead, some superb saves by their goalie, on another day perhaps they would of gone in, two chances hit the post, and cross bar, talk about the luck going against us.
Second half, different story, thought Bournemouth were the better team, and they got the 3 points.
Mark Wright man of the match ??? Who were the sponsors? His parents ??
My mate and I were pondering who the MOTM would of been, no one really shone today. (Fryatt for the goal? or Dean Coleman for a good show on his home debut?)
I wont be renewing my season ticket, sorry folks, dont want to watch Division Two football next season (Old Div 3) and if we dont pull our socks up that is where we will be.

Dave Gittins
Glitterati

Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:19 pm

Giza

I have to disagree with the fact it was our fastest ever goal. I was at Fellows Park in the late 70's and saw Terry Austin score in 7 seconds - I think it was against Hereford if memory serves me correctly.

On to todays performance - excellent start and for the first 20 minutes or so we looked the better team. As we have done so many times though we let Bournemouth back into the game and they controlled the second half . Standing started well and faded - lack of fitness? Osborn, I felt, didn't do too much wrong apart from conceding the free kick so I felt that he was probably taken off do to his underlying injury.

Dean Coleman did enough to show that he has got the makings of a good keeper, he didn't do too much wrong today. Give him a couple of years and he should mature into a steady keeper.

I really must question the sponsors man of the match - Mark Wright?!!! Apart from a couple of half decent crosses he struggled to get into the match and I was less than impressed with him to put it mildly.

I must close by saying thank you to Geoff Whiting who took pity on me with my leg in plaster and took me to the match - cheers Geoff.

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:23 pm

Oh Dear, Oh Dear!

Where was the midfield today? They wasnt there attacking nor defending.
Mark Wright Man of the match totally agree he was our most influential player.......NOT

I dont think Coleman did too bad today his kicking was poor but no worse than murphys, i doubt murphy would have been assed to get down and save a couple that coleman made. Fryatt & Darryl Taylor are very selfish and someone needs to tell them its a team game.

Do any of you need your kids looking after on saturday afternoon?, well if you do bring them to Bescot merse will look after them and they might get a game. Welcome to Walsall Football Clubs Nursery! Merse STOP playing these kids they are lacking pace, strength and.......footballing skills.

I said last night a consecutive relegation is looming. If we dont pick nothing up in the next 4 games then we are in the shite. And Jeff do us a favour dont offer Merse another contract

Percie
Glitterati

Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:24 pm

Walsall Supporter wrote:Back from the match, after a super opening goal, and what I thought was an attacking 20 mins, where bournemouth didn't get out of their own half for long, we failed to double our lead, some superb saves by their goalie, on another day perhaps they would of gone in, two chances hit the post, and cross bar, talk about the luck going against us.
Second half, different story, thought Bournemouth were the better team, and they got the 3 points.
My mate and I were pondering who the MOTM would of been, no one really shone today. (Fryatt for the goal? or Dean Coleman for a good show on his home debut?)
I wont be renewing my season ticket, sorry folks, dont want to watch Division Two football next season (Old Div 3) and if we dont pull our socks up that is where we will be.

Through thick and thin, remember?

Walsall Supporter

Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:34 pm

Dear Percie
I have been through Thick and Thin, since Fellow's Park, when Alan Buckley was Player Manager, i was 16 I am now nearly 40, have had so much heart ache and jubilation over the years, but I am afraid enough is enough, I have seen the club I love reduced to a laughing stock, and I just cant keep throwing good money over bad, so as much as Walsall is in my blood and I will be keeping an eye on their progress next season, I will be using the money for other causes.

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:39 pm

Walsall supporter, i like the rest understand your frustrations and i too wont be renewing my season ticket.

Anyone else notice the kid in the lower purple that didnt wear a coat?! He was purple by 5 oclock

Dave Gittins
Glitterati

Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:43 pm

I've lost count of the number of times over the years I have said that enough is enough and I wouldn't go any more - every time though I find myself irresistably drawn back to suffer again and again.

So to those who say they aren't going again - see you next season.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:43 pm

Started well. But after about 15mins we were woeful. Bournemouth were camped in our half for most of the first half, and we had barely any possession.

Second half was even worse. We touched the ball twice before they scored after about 8 mins. We just couldn't keep it beyond two passes.

How anyone can then go on the radio and say we played well is beyond me. We were pretty atrocious, not as bad as blackpool, but we still deserved to be beaten, and that's the bottom line. We played badly, conceded possession, and sat back.

Positives were atieno and coleman, both obviously prospects for next season.

Interesting to see Radio WM's interpretation of the merson situation. From what i head, it sounds like Bonser may be holding out on the contract deal. Maybe Bonser is seeing everything we're seeing? Maybe Bonser can see the woeful performance? I hope so.

Bonser has said that Merson will only leave if we get relegated, now, as this is still a possibility, do we think that is bonser's thinking? ie, not offering him a new contract until our Div2 status is secure? Thoughts?

Dave Gittins
Glitterati

Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:46 pm

Can't argue with you there Phil - Bonser isn't going to offer Merson a contract until he knows what division we are in next season.

Did anyone hear the real happy clapper on WM after the match - apparently we have got a brilliant squad, we were superb today (apart from the fact we lost) and Paul Merson is the next messiah. Anyone going to own up to being that person?

Walsall Supporter

Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:47 pm

Dave,
My mate and I were discussing the possiblity of re newing our tickets at the beginning of the match, due to the fact her son had just renewed his,
but by the end of the match our minds were made up, no way.
My heart can't take anymore stress, and my voice is hoarse from all the shouting, time for my fluffy pink slippers and a cup of coffee. :)

Dave Gittins
Glitterati

Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:49 pm

You won't be able to stay away. It is that long time feeling of optimism that the next match might just be the turning point.

Walsall Supporter

Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:53 pm

I will be there is Spirit, but that is all, I have missed a few matches this season due to one thing or another and I would of usually been suicidal at the thought of missing a match (I have altered holidays to make matches)but hand on heart I wasn't bothered, and that to me was a turning point.

I do hope these feelings change, but I dont know what will make them

dler

Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:55 pm

Walsall Supporter wrote:Back from the match, after a super opening goal, and what I thought was an attacking 20 mins, where bournemouth didn't get out of their own half for long, we failed to double our lead, some superb saves by their goalie, on another day perhaps they would of gone in, two chances hit the post, and cross bar, talk about the luck going against us.

We're already in the old Division Three. We'll be in the old Division Four next season if Merson has anything to do with it. Have we ever had such a clueless manager? OK, yes we have, but he has to be one of our worst. Oh, and before the happy clappers jump on me for "coming out of the woodwork every time we have a bad result", I've been saying this all season. He is the reason we are not challenging for promotion. As I asked in another thread, what gifted player has ever made a good manager? He just can't identify with 'lesser' players to get the best out of them. And as for tactics...LOL, what are they?!

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:00 pm

Sorensen got sacked for such a dismal season and he got us a bit of dosh! Merse has ruined this club in the year hes been in charge. Merse just go. You are a lovely bloke and a top player but you are a shite manager!

all together now...........

We're going down with Mick and Merse

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:16 pm

I agree with Phil - we started well, looked OK for 15 minutes and it all went tits-up from there.

We were quite atrocious at times, surrendered possession constantly as if it's part of our game plan, watched the opposition taking nearly every loose ball, had no invention going forward, hopeful through balls were constantly over-hit (we don't have greyhounds up front), we couldn't take chances - 1st goal excepted obviously - and for me the defeat was predictable from early on, as even a depleted Bournemouth side were better than us, wanted it more than us, and from fairly early on always looked more likely to score than us.

Coleman was excellent, his kicking became a bit wayward second-half but I though was OK earlier, although the tactic of clearing the ball long upfield to our under-aggressive and lightweight forwards never looked like working as a well organised Bournemouth defence recovered from a shaky start to soak up everything we could muster.

Atieno did very well and, in the short time he had, looked more like scoring than Matty or Jorge, and but for a fine save by Moss he would have been rewarded with an equaliser.

Can't believe some of the fans on the phone-in on WM - praising the team for 100% effort and saying we have some brilliant players and were unlucky to lose. Rose coloured specs I guess, at least that's all I can put it down to. On this performance we still have a long way to go to reach that safety target, and I really don't see where the next win is coming from or why we should have confidence in getting it. This could still go to the wire and I for one won't be confident of survival for at least another fortnight, and only then if we can get an unlikely result at Port Vale and beat Oldham.

Mark Wright man of the match ?? - I can only echo what others have said above. Who on earth came up with this decision, how could they, were they watching the same game, do they know anything about football?

Overall, today's was a deeply deeply disappointing performance and for me perfectly demonstrated how far we've fallen this season, and how far we may still have to fall unless a serious turnaround happens, and quickly!

Finally, nice to meet up with Dave Gittins today - another face to a name - don't forget next game Dave, if you need a lift just let me know - I hate to suffer on my own ! :lol:
Last edited by geoffwhiting on Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stalky

Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:17 pm

Like everyone else, I found today's match to be VERY disappointing. After the unbelievable start, and being on top for the first 20-25 minutes, what happened?

Although we didn't create too many chances, I thought that the midfield looked good. I think that Wrack, Standing and Kris Taylor (although rather lightweight) showed good skill and commitment. I will feel more comfortable when Kinsella is back instead of Osborn. Jorge worked hard, as usual, and Fryatt looked sharp.

Once again it was woeful defending that threw away a game that was there for the winning. Emblen and Wright (how on earth did he get man-of-the-match?) both went for the same ball, leaving Fletcher totally unmarked, for the first goal, and Osborn dived in to give away an unnecessary free kick on the edge of the area for the second.

Apart from those two occasions, the defence protected Coleman pretty well, I thought. He performed more than adequately, but in truth, he didn't have a great deal to do. Nevertheless a competent and confident start for him.

I hope that we have enough points in the bag to make survival possible, but the omens for next year are not promising.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:24 pm

Were todays match sponsors the Womens Insitute by any chance?

We are so easy to play against, I dont think Bournemouth will have had an easier away trip all season. Merson simply has to go at the end of the season.
Last edited by philthesaddler on Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:24 pm

why cant this team finsh other teams off??, one step forward three back. Frustrating and depressing. Im going to have to get pissed again now, christ.
Wasted journey again. :evil:

Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:26 pm

I thought it was an absolutely fantastic performance. Credit must go to good old Merse eh. I mean without him in charge it could have been easily 10 - 0

If only he were on the pitch, it would have been a different story. A hat trick for sure. How you lot can criticise the man after all he has done for this club is beyond me. The man just can't win can he.

I mean where were Walsall before Mersons arrival. His charisma, his genius has overturned this club to make it nearly attractive enough to get that Southampton keeper Blayney. Can you believe that? When in the history of this club could we ever had got a player of that quality. Ok we never got him but my God it was close and it's all thanks to Paul.

He is such a great bloke ain't he Paul. With all his problems he's had, how can one be so chummy and chirpy, always gracing us with his quick wit and his genius. The way he has bought on these youth players amazes me. I mean Mark Wright must be knocking Englands door now especially as Paul has already said he is Premier quality.

Please don't go Paul, we love you!!!!

coxanddrummie

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:27 pm

I don't know about 1 step forward, three back...

I'd say its more like 10 steps backwards.

This time last year, we went to Derby and won. What a difference a year can make.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:29 pm

NEWSFLASH!!

Sven has been sacked. Todays match sponsors have been installed as the England Management team, and Mark Wright has been drafted in to replaced Gary Neville/Glen Johnson.

Next
Return to 2004-05 Season