Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

AFC Bournemouth (H) - League - 12th March 2005

Reports and reaction from the 2004-05 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Sun Mar 13, 2005 2:53 pm

very good c&d just wish i could see the funny side of being 17th in league 1 and league 2 footie is getting closer and closer.

tinned
Site Addict

Sun Mar 13, 2005 4:10 pm

Anonymous wrote:The problem with Walsall FC is not Jeff Bonser, Roy Whalley, Paul Merson, Colin Lee, Simon Osborn, Mark Wright or Zigor Aranalde.

It's moaning fans like Neil Ravenscroft, WFC2UK, Geoff Whiting, CoxandDrummie, Ernest, Dave Roe, Geordie, Phil, ucow, Sheff, Magic Man, Stu and whoever else comes on here day after day to do nothing but moan and argue about the Club.

Of course, all of us coming on here and pretending everything is rosy and going well would realy be the difference, wouldn't it ? At least the fans you noted have the right to air their views because they come on here, quoting their name, and leave their views. They are then open to argument, attack or ridicule. Something that somebody hiding behind a guest log in is safe from. They obviously don't even read the posts properly anyway, they've labelled Ernest has one of the moaners ! I'm mean a happier happy clapper you couldn't find.

Unbiased

Sun Mar 13, 2005 6:19 pm

Some of you amaze me continually missing the strategy behind Merson's actions. I mean am I the only one reading all this business about Ashley Cole thinking - thank God Merse acted decisively and secured Mark Wright for two years before the big boys got whiff of his potential. If, as seems likely Chelsea are giving up on Cole, how long would it be before they were homing in Wrighty. If anyone can name a player whose style of play more closely matches that of Ashley Cole I'd like to read it.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Mar 13, 2005 6:21 pm

:lol:

COX AND DRUMMIE

Sun Mar 13, 2005 6:28 pm

Absolutely spot on my friend. Which is why Merson is so great. With his contacts he was probably aware that Chelsea were on the look out for full backs which is why he quickly signed Wright up for another year.

The fact that he has signed dynamo Broad up for TWO years suggests there were a number of top clubs in the race such as Barcelona, Real Madrid, Inter and AC Milan etc etc. Obviously Broad was aware of such interest too but decided to stay under Merson.

Which is the reason why Merson is here. His ability to attract the games best talent is proved right there. I mean to even attempt to sign a Goalie of the class of Alan Blayney is quite staggering and suggests that if Merson can't get him, who can?

Shad

Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:06 pm

Priceless :D

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:42 pm

I presume that "Guest" who posted at 10.38 am is not C&D, as C&D always adds his name at the end of his "Guest" posts. I therefore also presume that the post is NOT a wind-up in the way that all of C&D's certainly are.

So I think at this point, as I have finally been exposed for my involvement in all that's wrong with Walsall FC, I would like to say "it's a fair cop" and express my sincerest apologies to "Guest" for my role in turning Walsall FC into the sh*te outfit that it was for 65-70 minutes yesterday, at least 48 minutes at Blackpool, countless more minutes recently at home against Wrexham, MK Dons and Bradford, not to mention the whole 90 minutes, plus 1st & 2nd half stoppage times, away at Colchester.

After 47 years of supporting Walsall FC, "Guest" has brought me to my senses, I have seen the light, I can see that it is indeed OUR fault !

So - Neil, WFC2UK, C&D, Ernest (??), Dave, Geordie, Phil, ucow, Sheff, MMF, Stu, please join with me in hanging our heads in shame, I for one am truly and deeply sorry.

Let's make bl**dy sure we do something to improve things at Vale Park next Saturday. Now then Guest, where do you suggest we start ? I could make a suggestion, but somehow I can't see PM letting us pick the team, the formation or the tactics. Bugger, foiled again !

Oh, perhaps just one other suggestion - "Guest", if you're going to criticise others, at least show some decency and be brave enough to stick your name on your posts, or shut your stupid pathetic clap-trap you ar$e!!

:evil: :evil:

Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:34 am

I never once thought that we were going to beat Bournemouth leading up to the game, that is what Paul Mersons management has done to me. Ok for the first 10-15 mins but after that truly woeful. Wright was abysmal - yet again, i wish i could do my job as badly as he does his and get a guaranteed 2 year stay. Why did the manager? take Kris Taylor off who was at least trying to get the team going.

MERSON OUT- he should have gone after the Slough cup defeat. Why are there fans who think we will do better under him next season, where is there optimism coming from?

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:04 am

When I said in the match report that his substitutions were inexplicable on Saturday that was one - unless he got a knock. How could we end up with 4 across the middle, where the best tackler was Wrack!!!???!!! Why was Jorge on the left wing when Surman is a winger?

Zippy
Glitterati

Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:02 am

I've had enough of all this Blayney waffle.

At the end of the day Merse tried to sign him and Blayney for whatever reason e.g. travelling, or did he think Walsall was'nt big enough for him, did not want to come.

So ffs how is that Merse's fault?????

Blayney obviously was'nt interested in coming to us, Merse ain't going to force him. He can't drag him here by the scruff of the neck.

So, Blayney, you can sit on the bench as 3rd choice rotting away.

Walsall are very happy with their local home grown talent and you'd have only been rotting on our bench as 2nd choice.

:!:

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:28 am

But no one has mentioned him on this thread, except for C&Ds excellent wind up!

Stu
UTS Legend

Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:43 am

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:When I said in the match report that his substitutions were inexplicable on Saturday that was one - unless he got a knock. How could we end up with 4 across the middle, where the best tackler was Wrack!!!???!!! Why was Jorge on the left wing when Surman is a winger?

And there was me thinking it was a quite clear 4-3-3 formation with Jorge as a left sided striker...

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:46 am

It might have been, but, by then, all the shape and cohesion had gone from the midfield anyway. One of the things that frustrates me is the fact Merson doesn't seem to realise that, to be able to play, you have to win the ball first, not just pile everyone forward and hope for a moment of brilliance.

tinned
Site Addict

Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:50 pm

Formations ? formations ? I didn't even realise we were bothering with formations in the scond half. I thought we were just running around, chasing the ball in 11 year old schoolboy style.

And Merse, if you're reading this, I will play right back for the next two seasons on HALF what you're paying Wright. I'm totally cack but that doesn't appear to be stumbling block anymore. Just let JB know how much you'll be saving and he'll rubber stamp it in no time.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:43 pm

................and furthermore, Merse, I would like to support Dave by offereing my services at left-back on HALF the money you are paying Aranalde. I, too, am total crap as a player but, as Dave observes, this is clearly not an impediment to employment at Walsall F.C. who are obviously "equal opportunity employers". :D

Now, if we could just persuade Geoff to volunteer as a centre-forward and, perhaps, you, Neil, could play in goal?

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:48 pm

I'm not sure letting us choose the team, formation, tactics etc would change anything, a lot of the problem is down to attitude, fitness and endeavour. The coaching is quite clearly below the mark. I just hope bonser is holding out on this contract for merson for the reasons we all hope.

I mean, Bonser says the only way merson will not be manager is if we get relegated. So does that mean avoiding relegation by the skin of our teeth is acceptable or proof that merson is worthy of the job?

tinned
Site Addict

Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:32 pm

And Sheff has centre half and Stu in goal. Oh, no, sorry, can't have Stu in goal 'cause he's played there regularly and therefore might be a bit good at it. Sorry mate, you're over qualified. That's how the cookie crumbles.

COX AND DRUMMIE

Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:42 pm

Zippy i used the example of Alan Blayney because i feel it is a very important issue. The fact is that one of the so called benefits of originally employing Paul Merson as manager is that it was deemed he could attract players to Walsall football club.

So picture the scene. Old Harry lets Blayney know of the legend Mersons interest. Blayney then digests that information and thinks "Na not for me". So what do you personally take from that Zippy. How then does your view of Merson manifest itself if given a choice on first team football working for a man with the knowledge of charisma that Merson has, he still says no.

Think about that one for a minute and i will answer it for you?

YES YOU GOT IT ZIPPY!!!!. Alan Blayney is the worlds best goalkeeper and to even think of lowering himself to to a club like Walsall was never on the cards anyway. Credit must go to Merson for even trying to a catching machine such as Blayney. Who i may add thus far has turned down the advances of Real Madrid and Barcelona for his services and has only ever accepted an offer ONE other club.

So who can this club be to attract the services of this goalkeeping genius Alan Blayney?

YES ZIPPY YOU GOT IT!!!! IT'S RUSHDEN AND DIAMONDS. HORAY HORAY HORAY

PAUL MERSONS BARMY ARMY, PAUL MERSONS BARMY ARMY

KJC
UTS Legend

Location: Not 'staying away' as any kind of protest. I've just found something better to do on a Saturday.

Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:51 am

Coxy, The kid had only just returned from a spell at Rushden, probably didnt enjoy the experience and doesnt probably fancy rolling his sleeves up and helping us out of this 'mire that we have found ourselves in.

It says alot more about his character than Mersons.

Anyway, its not the first time anyone has refused to go straight back out on loan and it won't be the last

Get over it, cack happens!

Shad

Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:36 pm

Coxy(the man, the myth, the legend) is right on this one. If Merse was brought in to attract quality players to the club then he has failed, if he was brought in to regain Championship/ Div 1 status then he has failed, if he was brought in to bring skill talent & ambition to the club then he has failed.

So lets all go and have a sing and a dance while we plummit furthur down the table

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:46 pm

You can't slag Merson off, no way, he is a really nice boke and a legend. How dare you question his ability.

I mean, bloody hell, I was very critical of Lee and think he deserved to be sacked a lot earlier than he was, but in comparison to Merson he was slaughtered by the fans. If Lee had been in charge this season, getting the same performances and results and sitting in the same position in the table, then Bescot would be a cauldron of noise with thousands baying for his blood. At the moment you only have to say under your breath "Bloody hell Merson, sort it out" and you get half a dozen people sat near you giving you daggers.

It's like a mantra to some fans, "Merson will get it right, Merson will get it right, Merson WILL get it right".

I like Merson, but I love Walsall FC. It's time this experiment was cancelled.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:55 am

There was someone on the official site message board saying we should give him three years, Dave!

KJC
UTS Legend

Location: Not 'staying away' as any kind of protest. I've just found something better to do on a Saturday.

Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:06 am

If that was a dig at me Dave, I was only defending Merson against the crticism of not bringing in Blayney.

He tried and for one reason or another the kid didnt want to come. My guess is that it was because right now he doesnt fancy travelling up here for a one month loan - Not because he feels "i'm not going to Walsall while Paul bloody Merson's in charge" !!

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:16 am

I was agreeing to Shad's last line about people happily clapping along whilst doing their level best to avoid seeing the damn obvious, i.e. we're a little bit cack in a very cack division.

KJC
UTS Legend

Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:21 am

Ok sorry, wrong end of stick...

Dave Roe wrote:i.e. we're a little bit cack in a very cack division.

I'll agree with you there though! :twisted:

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:50 pm

I know its part and parcel of being a fan but sometimes I wanna punch the person that sings Paul Merson's name (im not a violent person, it just annoys me) or clap the players off after such inept performances. The question that I keep asking myself day after day.........

WHY ARE PEOPLE SO PATIENT WITH THIS CURRENT TEAM/STAFF COMPARED TO YEARS GONE BY?

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:07 pm

I always thought that there was a limit on how bad we could be before even the happiest of happy clappers would refuse to clap. Half time, away to Hull, finally made me realise that I was wrong all along and some people WILL clap EVERYTIME regardless of how CRAP we were and how LITTLE passion the players show. Some people at that game were clapping with such gusto that I had to recheck the score to make sure it wasn't us going in 3 - 0 up.

KJC
UTS Legend

Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:28 pm

I dont clap the players off if I think that they dont deserve it.

But you'll never hear me boo ANY Walsall team off the pitch, no matter who's manager.

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:24 pm

We got beaten by a team who were better organised on the day, and who have been better organised all season - they're on the verge of the playoffs, and we're on the verge of the drop. I don't think our league position tells the true tale of the club, apart from that we're a sorry bunch. I do think that we have a squad capable of much better performances, and whilst we don't have premiership players, we do have the makings of a side that should be doing better.

There's no synergy in the Walsall side. None, and that's what's hurting us.

Previous
Return to 2004-05 Season