Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Stockport (a) - League - 27 November 2004

Reports and reaction from the 2004-05 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
admin
Site Admin

Stockport (a) - League - 27 November 2004

Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:56 pm

By Exile (219.88.182.249) on Saturday, November 27, 2004 - 08:44 pm: Edit

1-0. Discuss.

By Me2 (82.37.32.69) on Saturday, November 27, 2004 - 10:04 pm: Edit

Great result.

By kevin (195.93.34.9) on Saturday, November 27, 2004 - 11:07 pm: Edit

Excellent

By kevin (195.93.34.9) on Saturday, November 27, 2004 - 11:09 pm: Edit

Excellent

By sj (195.93.34.9) on Saturday, November 27, 2004 - 11:36 pm: Edit

I was there Exile, we are still toothless up front. Without a new stiker play-offs are not for us, old chap. And I worry about Roper, don't think he's up to it anymore.

By Ian Gittins (66.15.23.161) on Sunday, November 28, 2004 - 12:35 am: Edit

Yeah. Good result, but it's so frustrating that we have been lacking a consistent 15+ goals per season striker now ever since Junior left. Jorge can't do it anymore, Birch and Fryatt are good in flashes but not the finished article yet. Emblen and Bennett are good at the back, Kinsella and Merson, backed by Standing and Wrack, HAS to be a good midfield at this level, so... where's the last ingredient? Surely Merson must have someone in mind...

By cat3 (203.218.195.142) on Sunday, November 28, 2004 - 12:56 am: Edit

let's keep our heads up and momentum going... YES! Great result, finally we are on the move...

By Geordiesaddler (195.92.168.179) on Sunday, November 28, 2004 - 01:52 pm: Edit

Very poor game to be honest, Stockport were awful.

But a great result and the players worked very hard. Very similar to the last game we won away in fact.

The positives for me were that we looked like a "team", there was method, organisation etc and the players worked for each other and seemed to have a greater awareness of what they were supposed to be doing.

But we are still crying out for pace and width to create from open play.

Still, give me a scrappy Graydonesque, unattractive 1-0 win over so called "entertaining football" any day.

If we beat Orient and Hartlepool then the season is very much alive.

Sorry I missed you SJ, my mates switched from the Royal Oak to the Robert Peel so ended up in there.

Any truth in the rumour that Merson has now been given a contract extension until 2033? That's if he wants to work until he's 65.

By Magic Man Fan (81.156.160.236) on Sunday, November 28, 2004 - 01:56 pm: Edit

I'm pissed off I didn't go now but I think for the teams sake its best I didn't as the only 2 we've won away this season are the only games I've missed.

Those words are just the ones I want to hear Geordie, "method, organisation"

Regardless of how poor the teams were that we've just beaten, its back to back wins which we've needed for a while. Orient and Hartlepool are winnable games and if we can win both the momentum could really see a change in confidence.

By MR D DOFFER (217.137.92.73) on Sunday, November 28, 2004 - 05:41 pm: Edit

Doffer Here,

Totally agree with Magic and Geordie.

We have let 4 go in the last week or so, that"s a drop in the wage bill, the lads seem to be singing from the same hymn sheet and a team belief and spirit seems to be emerging.

Merse can probably afford to bring in 2 decent loan signings and fused with that new found confidence -I really believe the Saddlers have a chance of the Play - offs.

One thing is for sure - will we definately be higher than 15th by the end of the season.

The Optimisic as usual Doffer.

Cheers

By sj (195.93.34.9) on Sunday, November 28, 2004 - 08:37 pm: Edit

Did anyone notice how effective Jorge was when he went into midfield when Merson played with Birch up-front? Jorge made one run cutting through their defence like a knife through butter. Jorge beat two men creating a good opening, I really think he could do a job for us running a defences,and turning them. I hope Merse saw how effective this ploy was. Did anyone else see it?

By Stu (195.92.67.208) on Sunday, November 28, 2004 - 09:41 pm: Edit

Dunno, but thats where I suggested we play him last week. It seems clear to me that he seems most potent when coming from deep and running at folk.

Might be worth experimenting with it at some point, especially if the Merse is injured at some point.

By cully (62.255.32.9) on Sunday, November 28, 2004 - 10:31 pm: Edit

The only thing I noticed about Jorge on Saturday was how ineffective he was as a striker, don't know about midfield but he'd make a better centre half if we must persist with him in the team. Reasonable performance from the team, same inadequate display from the usual suspect in defence. Better not mention him or there will be tears from his loyal fans.
Talking about inadequates, I suppose a number of you that went will have observed the Stockport stewards very 'sensitive and sensible' comic performance enforcing their 'abuse of seats' rule. Misdemeaners by Walsall fans included; putting their feet against the back of an empty seat, not seating on a seat, not sitting on a seat in a proper way, standing up when going to and from their seats and that was just in my immediate vicinity! One young man who was standing near to me was the subject of some ridiculous debate by four stewards as to whether he should sit down, I hope I helped matters when I offered a medical opinion to a senior steward as to the reason for his standing was due to piles. I'm not sure who he was talking to on his radio, perhaps he was seeking a second opinion from the club Doctor! The cheek of it!

By darlo saddler (213.40.67.65) on Sunday, November 28, 2004 - 11:07 pm: Edit

yeah i was there and to be honest it cauld have been 3 or 4.

jorge had one cleard off the line, emblen had a shot what just missed the far post and fryatt missed a sitter.

cauld have been more but still grat result lads keep it up!!!

By papa chango (195.93.34.9) on Sunday, November 28, 2004 - 11:18 pm: Edit

But What about Jorge as a midfield player?

By Selly Saddler (82.36.105.56) on Monday, November 29, 2004 - 03:05 am: Edit

Great result!

couldn't agree more mmf, method and organisation, especially away from home, are the ingredients that will bring us real success this season. wins against orient and hartlepool and we can look foward to a very happy new year!

Hope the last 2 results and subsequent results show that P.M. is learning as a manager. really like the guy, lets stop abusing him for his PAST deamons. Please believe me, anyone who can beat any one of a coke/alcohol/gamblin g addiction has to have such a strong personallity!He has beaten all 3!and any of you twerp who doubt it, look at the facts, drug tests exist in this division too! He would not be able to get away with being off his tits!

As i say with wins in our next 2 fixtures we are on a 4 game winning streak, 3 in the league which will only breed confidence (and with a bit of luck only 4 points off the playoffs!) and this set of players with real confidence has to be a frightening proposition for any team in this league!

C'mon the boys, show this division what we're really about!

By wfc_2uk (62.31.216.147) on Monday, November 29, 2004 - 03:44 pm: Edit

GET IN THERE!

It was my first game ive missed this season due to family commitments but the lads are finally moving in the right direction. A third straight league win against hartlepool week tomorrow and we'll be 3 points off the play-offs. Maybe just maybe the season that we thought was dead is alive again.

COME ON!!

Return to 2004-05 Season