Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Blackpool - A - League 5th March 2005

Reports and reaction from the 2004-05 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Blackpool - A - League 5th March 2005

Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:35 pm

Preview is now on line. Predictions anyone? (I've gone for a 1 - 0 to us, depite their improved record).

Dave Gittins
Glitterati

Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:23 pm

Normally with away games I tend to fear the worst but I have quite a strong feeling we are going to win this 2 - 0

Stonnall_Saddler

Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:04 pm

were going to win 2-0 and im going to score seven times later on at night if you get me 8)

Surrey Saddler
Glitterati

Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:11 pm

Once again Saddlers World is not working.

kevin
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:49 pm

Sapen............missed.
Snuther pen..............Murf off.
Saved.
Kinnel!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave Gittins
Glitterati

Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:50 pm

Murphy now sent off

Coleman saved the penalty.

Still 0-0

MrC

Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:50 pm

Disgrace 'Fatty' Murphy...

Well done Deano Coleman!!!

Shad

Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:57 pm

Im gutted not to be spending the day in Blackpool- sounds entertaining.........well done Coleman

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:03 pm

DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Megadeth

Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:38 pm

Hope Bonser tears up all contract offers Merson has made because after this shocker of a game Walsall are not safe from relegation. Could it be that the stupid antics of a goalkeeper cost us dear? Murphy should be sent back to WBA - he's done sod all all season. Even if bennett didn't make contact with player for the pen why does Murphy have to get involved? Stupid, and ultimately costly.

Looking at league tabel, results as they stand & games we have left it ain't looking comfortable is it? I just hope Osborn, Wrack & Kinsella are fit soon.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sat Mar 05, 2005 5:12 pm

Match report now on line direct from Balckpool

Sat Mar 05, 2005 5:13 pm

The antics of a goalkeeper certainly cost us dear last season.

Surrey Saddler
Glitterati

Sat Mar 05, 2005 5:26 pm

One thing about today's shambles, we will be able to see how good Coleman is now that murphy has to sit out a 3 match suspension

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:07 pm

Just heard Merson on the radio, short interview in which he stated that the penalty miss turned the game despite us being the better side, he blamed the opposition player for diving for their first penalty and stated that he should be charged by the FA and suspended for 4 or 5 games for cheating, at half time he told the players that the pitch was bobbley and the defence should just get the ball forward so we can play from there, we were the better team in the second half, Coleman played well and that we were now in a dogfight at the bottom. Further when questioned about Colemans inexperience he stated that he would be talking to Bonser about releasing some funds? End of interview. Well I didn't go but obviously we would have won if we had scored the penalty, if the opposition hadn't cheated, if the pitch had been flat and if Blackpool had been the better team.

If only we had a manager.

Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:16 pm

Yet again Merson shows his true colours. He continues his waffle about opposing players diving, something which he can't control and uses that as an excuse for HIS OWN keeper running 30 yards in order to get himself sent off and effectively cost us the game.

A great message to your team that is Paul. Fantastic gestures of self discipline there mate. It just proves what Merson is. A second rate media pundit because he hasn't one idea of how to become a manager.

coxanddrummie

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:24 pm

We might also have won the game if one or two of our players had acted with a bit more professionalism - Joe Murphy especially, but also Mark Wright who threw that chance to the opposition ( HOW MANY MORE TIMES? ) and Julian Bennett.

I'm just remembering what happened to us last season after Wakker lost his head at Millwall and ran 30 yards or more to shove Dennis Wise in the face. What now? Notice the similarity with Murphy's actions today.

Only 7 points off the bottom 4, and just 3 points taken out of the last 15, which included 3 games against below average (Wrexham & Franchise FC) or below strength (Bradford) teams. But PM talks on the radio about other teams being in free-fall, and it seems he hasn't spotted our situation, because that's just what's happening to us as well right now.

Tonight I am feeling VERY VERY angry. Defeat after a decent effort I can take, defeat born of lack of professionalism and downright bl**dy stupidity I find a lot less acceptable. :x :evil:

Dave Gittins
Glitterati

Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:42 pm

I was looking forward to going today but was unable to due to my injury. At least that saved the cost of an expensive trip to see what sounds like an unprofessional display.

All being well, thanks to Geoff, I should be able to see the next match next weekend. At least we can see how good Coleman is - with any luck he will take the chance to prove we can get rid of Murphy (or at least keep him on the bench).

moaning saddler
Glitterati

Location: Taking Back Control - Bescot Market or a Single Market? Decisions, decisions...

Sat Mar 05, 2005 7:26 pm

I'm just remembering what happened to us last season after Wakker lost his head at Millwall and ran 30 yards or more to shove Dennis Wise in the face.

Geoff,

Either you were not at that game or your memory is playing up - the Wise incident was not like that at all. I guess the former.

The 13 points we have achieved from the 14 games we have played since the Blackpool home game is an abysmal record - relegation form in fact. So I totally agree with you on that point.

Burnside
UTS Regular

Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:52 pm

I made the trip up to Blackpool. I haven't seen us out-dominated so much for a very long time. In fact for those first 25-30 minutes I can't remember seeing an opposition team have things there way so much. We just couldn't grab hold of things.

I didn't think their chap handled it from where i was sat. Our stand had a pretty good view of it. I didn't jump and appeal. I thought it caught his shoulder - chest.

There first penalty was just one of those things. They were a cunning team and they tricked us and the Ref.

Murphy acted like a complete Idiot. I wonder if while with Tranmere he popped in to see Rod McDonald for lessons on how to conduct yourself on the field. Hot Rod was a scouser wasn't he. Murphy had no need to run about doing that. Mr Leitao and Roper were also lucky not to be seeing Red. I was also mystified as to why none of the Blackpool players booked.

Credit to Coleman for stepping up to the plate. His save then collection from the corner were superb. I've seen him in the Reserves and he was never convinced me that he will make it in the first team. It looks like i may be wrong.

I liked the look of Coleman today. 9 out 10 keepers in his position would have gone through the motions It's my first game, I'm in a no win situation. He won't get many games tougher than that. Some might say that it's experiances like that one that will help build his charecter as a goalkeeper. I think the opposite. Today it revealed his charecter. It's one i think could benefit our club.

Bye, Bye Joe Murphy. You let us all down today.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:17 pm

amazed no one has oicked up on the fact yet that a certain mr keigan parker kicked this all off. Joe 'Cheesebuger' Murphy is a complete waste of space for doing what he did, send him back , no excuses for that, but i cant help but feel that if it wasnt for that dirty cheating scumbag who incidentally went down like a sacl of tatas for the second goal kicked this all off.

I could not believe the performance. Mark wright was oustanding again, showing his true nature as a premiership right back (!),
Emblem looked very slow today, standing was so-so, kris taylor battled, and surman had a fe wnice touches but all ineffective. Jorge for me today even though played out of position looked half soaked, fryatt had zero service and support. All in all can only be described as a very poor and worrying performance. Theres only one stu.

UTS

Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:22 pm

Oh Ernest Ernest Ernest, ever the optimist. I notice you have lined yer scapegoat up in Murphy too. Anyone but good old Paul eh?

As for you're opinions of Coleman. Lets get it into perspective here. You say he hasn't convinced you in the games you have seen him and then say you could be wrong because he saved a penalty. Come on matey, if you know about the game like you say you do you will be aware that an untrained monkey could save a penalty if he dived the right way.

coxanddrummie

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:24 pm

penalties*

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:39 pm

Moaning saddler, am I thinking of a different game then, or a different season?

I was not there at the New Den, but it was shown on TV and I most certainly remember Wakker running quite a way up the pitch (where he had no reason to get involved) and getting into a debate with Wise and the Ref, and it all ended with Wise mouthing off and Wakker shoving a hand in his face, for which he received a red card.

When was this then, if not last season? Not saying you're right or wrong, I'd just like to know. :?

Burnside
UTS Regular

Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:42 pm

Oh Coxy-Coxy.

If Paul Merson had done what Murphy did then I would have had a moan. If you read the board often enough you will know how much I blame Jimmy Walker for us going down last season. His Murphy like behaviour cost us his services for a crucial few weeks.

Read my comments about Coleman on this an the other thread on the main forum. I said his two saves and cross collecting showed me a great deal about the players charecter. This has changed my opinion about him. This was an opinion I had based on a mere 8 or 9 2nd string games and 1 FA Youth Cup Game I have seen over the last 2 years or so.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:01 pm

Poor

Diver keigan chappie started it all off by diving at every opportunity. Wright had a poor game, giving the ball away in a move that led to their first goal. As soon as thier 2nd penalty went in about a quarter of the away following decided to hit the pubs!!!!

And to make matters worse it took 25 minutes to get served at the "Burger bar" only to find they had ran out of burgers just after half time!!!!

Chips were nice in the town though!!!! :roll:

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:35 pm

Only 4 words - MERSON OUT OUT OUT.
There is totally sh!te mangers and then they created Paul Merson.

redalways

Only here for a moan

Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:15 pm

There are a number posting messages who are a disgrace to WFC. They come put of the woodwork after every defeat and moronically chant Merson Out, Merson Out.

OK, he has made mistakes and not every signing has worked out as hoped, but we are starting to get the making of a very good, young squad of players. If the likes of Mason can be signed for the centre of midfield and we cull the rubbish in the squad like Zigor and Jorge, we will be in a good position to challenge for the top spot next year.

It would be nice to sign a good striker. One is certainly needed to play alongside Fryatt. But the budget is tight and will stay so until those who are overpaid have gone and we are in a position to challenge for promotion.

It is good to see Kris Taylor and Fryatt doing so well. Bennett will come again, whilst those on the bench today will have their chances soon. For Merson to learn the art of management whilst playing full time, with his history and the poor state of the squad post Lee, is expecting a great deal. Bonser is right to stick with him, it is just a pity he can not get rid of some of the rubbish pretending to be fans

Surrey Saddler
Glitterati

Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:38 pm

With all this talk about goal keepers, did anyone see the West Ham keeper's dreadful display on Sky. Why is Jimmy Walker not in that team?

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Sun Mar 06, 2005 12:08 am

Because he's made some bad mistakes in the two league games he's been given.

redalways

Walker

Sun Mar 06, 2005 12:13 am

He may have had an off day in his few league matches, but was outstanding when he played in their various cup games. He must be well pi**ed of with Pardew.

Next
Return to 2004-05 Season