Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Hatlepool United (H) League 1 Saturday 3/5/08

Reports and reaction from the 2007-08 season as Walsall finished 12th in League 1
Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Re: Hartlepool United (H) League 1 Saturday 3/5/08

Sat May 03, 2008 6:47 pm

Pedagogue wrote:
Wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:Well done to the lads with the huge banner. The message was right, shame it wont do anything, but it could alert people to the pension fund.

We were rubbish bar 20 minutes which was some of the best football seen this season. Dobson was awesome.

Daz - I think that you've misspelled 'awful'. Dobson scored a cracking goal and that was the beginning, middle and end of his contribution to the match. When the Monkey-Hangers were all over us, for most of the second half, Dobson and Bradley (a young man desperately in need of a break from football) were nowhere to be seen.

I agree with the comments, above, about Mooney - ridiculous to give him MotM - pure (misplaced) sentiment. Promising to see that we finished with 4 teenagers on the pitch (Smith, Taundry, Demontagnac and Craddock) while Gerrard, Bradley and Nicholls are not much older.

Agreed re-Dobson. His goal was a good one, created by Mooney - who also had a great 15 minutes. MOTM is always going to go to whoever the sponsors want their photo with - so is usually gonna be wrong!

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Re: Hatlepool United (H) League 1 Saturday 3/5/08

Sat May 03, 2008 6:51 pm

Plastic Hawk wrote:First up, the guard of honour and man of the match awards for Mooney were a disgrace. The bloke's the living embodiment of what's gone wrong at this club in the past 4 months. The sooner his cancerous influence is out of the dressing room the better for the team.

I disagree. We're talking about someone who has played over 700 matches in England over the course of his career, during which he has been a top player and a top pro for the mostpart. As I said yesterday on another thread, it's just convenient to use Mooney as a scapegoat. He's been surrounded by players who aren't good enough or months now and at 37 years of age, is probably justified in not treating every Walsall game like a cup final. Plenty of players have struggled since January, but Mooney gets slated because he's old and isn't fast.

As for the game, I would agree with Metfan that Dobson was excellent. He plays like he wants to win every week. Not the most gifted of players, but doesn't give the opposition an easy ride. Anyone who has ever played football to a half-decent standard will realise that every side needs someone like him. Those who don't understand the game won't see the way he wins the ball and passes it simple. It was just a shame that Mark "already in Mallorca" Bradley gave him no support whatsoever. Just to add, we only saw an end product from either of our wingers twice for the whole course of the game - that's not good enough either.

Smith was excellent. I think he should be given a new contract. He bases a lot of his defending on allowing his pace to get him in positions where he can make recovery challenges like Micah Richards does, but that's fine because pace isn't something particularly evident amongst League One strikers. Was just as dominant in the air as Gerrard, which was nice to see.

Taundry helped me to decide whether he's a defender or a midfielder today. Both goals came as a result of him not being tight enough to his man and he gets beaten both in the air and on the floor too often. He could probably do a better job on the right, but he generally doesn't do the basics well enough at the back.

Betsy gave another encouraging account of himself and I think he's someone we should look to sign for next season if possible. His mobility up front keeps defenders on their toes and makes space for others to use. Dobson's goal came as a result of that.
Just to add, the fact that we ended the game with a 17 year old who hasn't even played for the reserves yet on the pitch shows how far backwards we've moved. I'm not knocking the lad, but he looked like a rabbit caught in the headlights when he came on.

That game was a summary of our season. Half decent at times in the first half, but just plain weak in the second.

Salop Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat May 03, 2008 7:15 pm

Plastic Hawk wrote:First up, the guard of honour and man of the match awards for Mooney were a disgrace. The bloke's the living embodiment of what's gone wrong at this club in the past 4 months. The sooner his cancerous influence is out of the dressing room the better for the team.

There's only one living embodiment of what's gone wrong at this club, and it ain't Mooney, it's the cancerous influence that goes by the name of Bonser. The sooner his wretched carcass is hauled out of the stadium the better for everyone. (Except for his merry band of apologists of course)

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Sat May 03, 2008 7:58 pm

Wow, some Walsall fans realy hate our top scorer don't they?? Without his goals we might well have been relegated this season.

I've always rated Tommy Mooney ever since I saw him score 2 goals against us for Scarborough when they beat us 4-1 in 93. This season the clapped out 37 year old version that we happened by has scored 12 goals in 40 games, a highly respectable performance. Any player that scores over 200 goals in his career- an equivalent career scoring record to Alan Buckley, deserves nothing other than respect from anyone.

What he said about our club is absolutely spot on also, or course the truth is extremely uncomfortable for many Walsall fans, aw didums.

Good luck Tommy, your only good for half a season at this level obviously, and it was ridiculous of Walsall FC to expect you to carry our entire attack for the whole season. Enjoy Marbella, you are well out of this nut-house, unfortunately some of us are stuck with it for life.

deanonev69
Glitterati

Sat May 03, 2008 8:28 pm

Manny Smith had an excellent game today. Should have been man of the match and would have done wonders for his confidence going into the close season. Instead it was given to the lazy waster out of sentiment.

As for the game, we played well for 20 minutes (and demonstrated that we could have competed for the last two months if we'd been interested) and then stopped playing for the final 70. In the end Hartlepool would probably consider themselves unfortunate to only get a point.

Thank God someone else thought what i thought on the Mooney and Smith front.

Firstly, Mooney-i'm sorry but that was just wrong. So he's played 739 games-sorry are we not the club who didn't play Steve Claridge in a meaningless game against Barnsley which would have given him his 1000th appearance as he didn't figure for the following season??? Sentimental claptrap. :evil:

And sorry-has he done these 739 games for free or something-methinks not somehow. When i retire in how many years it is, i bet i won't get a guard of honour and i know i go into work every day and put a decent shift in-not something that can be said for Mr Mooney whether it be at Walsall or some of the other clubs he's been at where he's tailed off at the end of the season.

This is a bloke who over the past few months has done very little and has taken opportunity of lae to twist knife in and yet we bend over backwards for him today, So far that we even give him man of the match awards which leads me into Manny Smith......

Absolutley awesome today-it was i who stood up and started singing his name after the travesty of the MOTM was given to Mooney (did then launch attack on Mooney however). Been a bit worried by him since he came in as he looked a bit shaky but today was just as good as he was at back end of last season

Deano_Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat May 03, 2008 8:30 pm

Geordiesaddler wrote:Wow, some Walsall fans realy hate our top scorer don't they?? Without his goals we might well have been relegated this season.

I've always rated Tommy Mooney ever since I saw him score 2 goals against us for Scarborough when they beat us 4-1 in 93. This season the clapped out 37 year old version that we happened by has scored 12 goals in 40 games, a highly respectable performance. Any player that scores over 200 goals in his career- an equivalent career scoring record to Alan Buckley, deserves nothing other than respect from anyone.

What he said about our club is absolutely spot on also, or course the truth is extremely uncomfortable for many Walsall fans, aw didums.

Good luck Tommy, your only good for half a season at this level obviously, and it was ridiculous of Walsall FC to expect you to carry our entire attack for the whole season. Enjoy Marbella, you are well out of this nut-house, unfortunately some of us are stuck with it for life.

ive been saying that exact same thing for a few months now, i also think the whole post is spot on.
All the best Tommy.

Salop Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat May 03, 2008 8:43 pm

Deano_Saddler wrote:
Geordiesaddler wrote:Wow, some Walsall fans realy hate our top scorer don't they?? Without his goals we might well have been relegated this season.

ive been saying that exact same thing for a few months now, i also think the whole post is spot on.
All the best Tommy.

Agreed. I find it verging on the insane that some people are seemingly setting the bloke up as the devil incarnate. Why's that? Because he told the truth?, Because he was 37 and did as much as any 37 year old could be expected to do? Because he was the teams top scorer? Remarkable, either that or hilarious.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat May 03, 2008 8:46 pm

BathSaddler wrote:Thank god it's all over, as we predictably end the season in 12th place.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=20146

Yep. Congratulations all the superstars who predicted we'd finish 12th.

8) 8) 8)

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun May 04, 2008 8:36 am

The one thing I think the game showed was that Mullen ain't got a clue. Second half, Danny Wilson told one of his big men to stand on Taundry and they just hit diagonal balls in the air to him, where he beat the hobbit at left back time and time again. Taundry, therefore, had a torrid second half (both goals, by the way were scored by the man he should have been marking, yet the bloke in front of me said eh should have got MoM) and we were totally under the cosh. Why he didn't bring on N'Dour at left back (where he played for the Bagladies) and switched Taundry to midfield in place of the completely ineffective Bradley, is beyond me. A disappointing end to a very disappointing season - even though I predicted 12th.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sun May 04, 2008 8:57 am

Well, for once, I actually agree with you 100%, Neil! :D I felt sorry for Taundry, being played out of position but, to put a positive spin on it, at least the experience will do him no harm. Indeed, it may do him some good. In fairness to the bloke in front of you, Neil, Taundry DID show many good points in his play as well although, as you say, he was at fault, to a large degree, with both goals (as he has been on more than one occasion recently).

Our midfield was truly awful. Ishy showed promise in occasional flashes but Dobson (his goal apart), Bradley and Nicholls were dire. Bradley has been but a shadow of his former self, recently. It is a measure of the lack of depth in our squad that it has not been possible to take him out of the firing line in the first team and he has been rushed back too soon, after injury, in the past.

The central midfield duo of Dobson and Bradley went AWOL in the second half and, as you say, Taundry should have been pushed into midfield and N'Dour brought on at left-back. I'm not sure that Wrack was much of an improvement on Bradley but at least it let him get on for what I expect to be his farewell appearance in a Walsall shirt.

Ned_Kelly
UTS Legend

Sun May 04, 2008 8:59 am

King Crimson wrote:
BathSaddler wrote:Thank god it's all over, as we predictably end the season in 12th place.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=20146

Yep. Congratulations all the superstars who predicted we'd finish 12th.

8) 8) 8)

Well done Mr Brown for that delightfull last minute equaliser. Made my prediction just about come true. :D :D

However, Big baz is now going to have to fork out for his on meal and booze :lol: :lol: :lol:

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun May 04, 2008 9:00 am

Taundry did, indeed, show some good touches. Unfortunately, they were going forward, rather than defending! As a defender of Dobbo normally, he did not have a good game at all (although it was a superb goal - and he played the pass of the day down the wing for Nicholls), managing to even lose a couple of 50/50s - something he never, ever, normally does. I couldn't understand, on his last few performances why Bradley started ahead of N'Dour anyway - he looks very tired.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Sun May 04, 2008 9:04 am

A quick note on the attendance. We probably cleared near £100,000 less than we would if we had been in play off contention.

Add this to the £150,000 plus we would make from a home leg play off semi, not to mention the final should we get there and you could knock at least £250,000 - £300,000 off the value of the January sales.

What great business.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sun May 04, 2008 9:06 am

PJD wrote:A quick note on the attendance. We probably cleared near £100,000 less than we would if we had been in play off contention.

Add this to the £150,000 plus we would make from a home leg play off semi, not to mention the final should we get there and you could knock at least £250,000 - £300,000 off the value of the January sales.

What great business.

Yes - and still people come on here saying that Bonser is a good businessman!!! Doh!!

Ned_Kelly
UTS Legend

Sun May 04, 2008 9:23 am

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:Taundry did, indeed, show some good touches. Unfortunately, they were going forward, rather than defending! As a defender of Dobbo normally, he did not have a good game at all (although it was a superb goal - and he played the pass of the day down the wing for Nicholls), managing to even lose a couple of 50/50s - something he never, ever, normally does. I couldn't understand, on his last few performances why Bradley started ahead of N'Dour anyway - he looks very tired.

Didn't realise he had a go. Ropers mrs used to have a couple but i've never sold any to Dobbo

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Sun May 04, 2008 9:45 am

PJD wrote:A quick note on the attendance. We probably cleared near £100,000 less than we would if we had been in play off contention.

What great business.

:? :? :?

you're not going to convince me that we'd have got over 10,000 for that game even if we'd have been in contention for the play-offs! :wink:

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sun May 04, 2008 10:56 am

Plastic Hawk wrote:

What great business.

you're not going to convince me that we'd have got over 10,000 for that game even if we'd have been in contention for the play-offs! :wink:

Tv money?

;)

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun May 04, 2008 11:06 am

On yesterday's showing PLEASE can we not have Mullen as manager?* I don't know what others think, but to me he just seemed oblivious to the fact that we were increasingly failing to compete. Nicholls faded so, so badly second half - we were crying out for a 'freshening up' by about 55 minutes. Mullen just seemed paralysed. Taundry too needed to go second half. Why not shove Betsy out right, bringing Craddock on up front (if we had to keep Mooney on for sentiment). Why not bring N'Dour on for either Bradley or Taundry? Wrack's inclusion was all about sentiment in my view.

*This does not consititute the start of a Mullen Out campaign, but I feel we could do much better.

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Sun May 04, 2008 12:14 pm

How embarrassing it was to be associated with Walsall FC yesterday.

Idiotic fans singing Richard Money's name. He walked away from us, and he spent alot of time criticising the Walsall fans. But what was most ridiculous was the chants of Dicky Dosh's Barmy Army from the exact same people who were slagging him and the side off for most of the period since January.

And then there was the 'protest'. As ineffectual as anything Walsall fans "protesting" ever do. The directors seemed to be having a good laugh at it, anyway.

And then there was the guard of honour for Mooney, and the singing of his name. I don't care what people think of the owner or what has gone on since January, but when an employee slags off the club weekly for the best part of two months he shouldn't be captain, he shouldn't be playing, and he most certainly shouldn't be getting a standing ovation and a guard of honour when, on the bench and in the stand, we have two guys with 750 appearences for Walsall Football Club (not at countless other clubs like Mooney) who have most likely played their final games for the club. I appreciate what Tommy Mooney has done in English football, he is a "true pro", but his significance in the annals of Walsall Football Club will be nothing more than a footnote.

And I agree about the calls for Mullen not to get the job. Why on earth would we even be considering a guy who has managed the likes of Colwyn Bay, Hednesford and someone random in Ireland and who looks like and dresses like he has just come off the golf course? Nice guy, and a good influence - keep him on the staff, but do not in any way give him the manager's job.

saddlerken
Site Addict

Sun May 04, 2008 12:34 pm

Fantastic post Jorge, nice one mate

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun May 04, 2008 2:25 pm

Did Bradley touched the ball?

We played awesome, for 5 minutes. Craddock showed a few nice touches and his nerves got to him and he had an air shot. Taundry was the best player of a few, Ince was dodgy again, Gerrard and weston slid as usual, and Smith is improving. Mooney was alright when he got the chance of some flick ons but faded after a record 15 minutes.

Yesterday made me be ashamed to be a walsall fan, and i felt sick. Yes we can all have a protest at Bonser, but 90 minutes of nothing but Bonser songs shows something. Didnt have the decency to sing many walsall songs, ive the players a bit of praise, except for an ant gerrard song and a fickle attempt at Wednesbury road. It really anoyed me.

And the morons on the pitch at the end, a end of season lap may mean nothin to you but i wanted to give Wrack a round of applause, and a give a clap to the players cause mostly theyve given their all. Fair enough you had your say with your banner but did you really have to spend 25 minutes on the pitch, everyone else had the sense to leave after a bit.

I always go to the first game of the season, but you know what, screw it. I doubt ill come back at all next season. Yesterday really got to me. It got to me more than anything bonser has done, and thats wrong. Im ashamed of our own fans.

EDIT:just read jorges post, spot on jorge. Spot on my friend.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Sun May 04, 2008 2:45 pm

Plastic Hawk wrote:

What great business.

Maybe - but if we did have a successful play off campaign, how much extra revenue would we have made? Let's include higher attendances at the last half dozen home games as well.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun May 04, 2008 3:01 pm

latviancheese wrote:Taundry was the best player of a few

:shock: :shock:
Both goals came as a result of a ball over from right to left, which he failed to deal with. That's 3 goals we've conceded in 2 games down our left side. He's a good player, but most definitely not a left back. He should have been taken off early in the second half and replaced by N'Dour.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun May 04, 2008 3:52 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:

Both goals came as a result of a ball over from right to left, which he failed to deal with. That's 3 goals we've conceded in 2 games down our left side. He's a good player, but most definitely not a left back. He should have been taken off early in the second half and replaced by N'Dour.

Was N dour on the bench?

I agree he aint no left back, but at least he looked hungry.

MrsWS3

Sun May 04, 2008 6:09 pm

latviancheese wrote:Did Bradley touched the ball?

We played awesome, for 5 minutes. Craddock showed a few nice touches and his nerves got to him and he had an air shot. Taundry was the best player of a few, Ince was dodgy again, Gerrard and weston slid as usual, and Smith is improving. Mooney was alright when he got the chance of some flick ons but faded after a record 15 minutes.

Yesterday made me be ashamed to be a walsall fan, and i felt sick. Yes we can all have a protest at Bonser, but 90 minutes of nothing but Bonser songs shows something. Didnt have the decency to sing many walsall songs, ive the players a bit of praise, except for an ant gerrard song and a fickle attempt at Wednesbury road. It really anoyed me.

And the morons on the pitch at the end, a end of season lap may mean nothin to you but i wanted to give Wrack a round of applause, and a give a clap to the players cause mostly theyve given their all. Fair enough you had your say with your banner but did you really have to spend 25 minutes on the pitch, everyone else had the sense to leave after a bit.

I always go to the first game of the season, but you know what, screw it. I doubt ill come back at all next season. Yesterday really got to me. It got to me more than anything bonser has done, and thats wrong. Im ashamed of our own fans.

EDIT:just read jorges post, spot on jorge. Spot on my friend.

exactly how I feel :(

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Mon May 05, 2008 7:29 am

latviancheese wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:

Was N dour on the bench?

I'm sorry, but he was badly at fault with both goals - and was, remember, the marker when Bristol Rovers scored and, indeed, for the first Northampton Town goal. Mullen should have moved him.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Mon May 05, 2008 8:35 am

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
latviancheese wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:

Was N dour on the bench?

I'm sorry, but he was badly at fault with both goals - and was, remember, the marker when Bristol Rovers scored and, indeed, for the first Northampton Town goal. Mullen should have moved him.

I agree. Its that sort of nonsense that can seriously damage a developing player who clearly has something decent to offer us. He CANNOT play left back because he cannot do anything with his left foot except stand on it. Too many more occasions like that and we'll be wondering where his form has gone, his confidence, and why he can't get a game. Play him in the midfield (its not like we're overflowing with options there).

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon May 05, 2008 8:54 am

The game pretty much summed up the season. Promised a lot for a while, faded in the end, and at the end of the day it didn't matter much to anyone did it ? :evil:

The singing of Richard Money's name was quite amusing, and as half hearted as when he was actually here anyway. Quite what the point of it was I'm not sure, as he walked away, he wasn't sacked.

As for the Bonser banner, fair play if thats how people feel then I have no problem with it, Was a terrible attempt at a banner though, is that the best that they could come up with ? One small problem, Bonser wasn't even there to see it, he probably has more sense than us suckers.

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Mon May 05, 2008 9:14 am

Can I just say, and this isn't just some cheap shot at Bonser, but I think its both disgusting, and really quite astounding that at this important time he isn't hands on trying to get the present shambles put right ASAP. Not at the game?? What on earth's that all about? He's the club chairman and should be at EVERY game representing the club, barring circimstances that involve death or acts of God.

DD was appointed before the end of the season and that prompt appointment played a big part in our success the following season, pre-season training started in May if I remember rightly.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon May 05, 2008 9:25 am

Geordiesaddler wrote:Can I just say, and this isn't just some cheap shot at Bonser, but I think its both disgusting, and really quite astounding that at this important time he isn't hands on trying to get the present shambles put right ASAP. Not at the game?? What on earth's that all about? He's the club chairman and should be at EVERY game representing the club, barring circimstances that involve death or acts of God.

DD was appointed before the end of the season and that prompt appointment played a big part in our success the following season, pre-season training started in May if I remember rightly.

He didn't make it to Nott's County last season, which I found astounding. As a Walsall fan, there was no where in the world I would rather have been than there that day. Obviously he feels differently. Ok so he isn't a Walsall fan, but after 20 years at a club, you would think there would be some emotion there somewhere.

PreviousNext
Return to 2007-08 Season