Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Reserves v. Shrewsbury Town 24/4/08

Reports and reaction from the 2007-08 season as Walsall finished 12th in League 1
Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Reserves v. Shrewsbury Town 24/4/08

Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:51 pm

Saddlers 2 3 Sloppies
(played at the Bonks's)

Attendance:- 123

Walsall
Rene Gilmartin

Richard Davies
Aaron Brown
Tom Schwarz
Netan Sansara

David McDermott
Charlton Davies
Darren Wrack (Capt.) (Hassan Bacchus, 66 min.)
Ishmel Demontagnac (James Travis, 76 min.)

Harry Harris (Cameron Jones, 80 min.)
Chris Hanna

Unused Substitutes
Daryl Westlake
Tom Cox (gk)

Manager:- Jimmy Mullen (assisted by Eric McManus)

Goal Log:-
15th min. - 0-1 - James Constable (who else?) turned Brown "inside out" before shooting past Gilmartin.
41st min. - 1-1 - Brown turned from villain to hero when he rose to head home McDermott's left-wing corner.
69th min. - 2-1 - After a number of near misses, Ishy finally got on the scoresheet, thanks to a dreadful blunder by Jasbir Singh in the Sloppies' goal.
82nd min. - 2-2 - Constable grabbed his second when he cut in from the right and drove the ball home past an unsighted Gilmartin.
88th min. - 2-3 - Asa Hall scored a fine individual goal to clinch the points for the visitors.

Sinners' List
12th min. - Ishy cautioned for unsporting behaviour - his first (and totally innocuous) foul. Very poor refereeing decision.
52nd min. - Sloppies' left-back, James Meredith, cautioned for unsporting behaviour (foul).

Comments:-
Fairly even first half, reflected in the score. Interesting tactical switch after 66 minutes when Bacchus came on - Brown moved up to centre-forward, alongside Ishy. We should have wrapped the game up in the second half but, of course, Constable had other ideas! He was a constant threat but it was only a reserve match. Nevertheless, he was much better than anything we have (and I include the post-Christmas version of Mooney in that comparison).
Last edited by Pedagogue on Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OldPenkSaddler
UTS Veteran

Re: Reserves v. Shrewsbury Town 24/4/08

Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:57 pm

TBH I thought the overall standard was quite shocking. With the exception of Charlton Davies we may as well release the whole lot as they'll never make regular first team footballers in a million years.

Brown can go back to Reading right now, to be turned inside out by Constable aint a good sign.

I thought Asa Hall scored their first goal. Both he and Constable seemed quite useful.

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:01 pm

OldPenkSaddler wrote:Brown can go back to Reading right now, to be turned inside out by Constable aint a good sign.

Ahh, Brown. A great DD signing. Know's he's made another almighty balls up so pretends it was as a sort of very early pre-season trial. If it wasn't for the fact of Lyall, Ciderwahtsit, Canaerio etc then I might believe it.

Brown, sort of sums up the signing record of DD.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:10 pm

OldPenkSaddler wrote:I thought Asa Hall scored their first goal. Both he and Constable seemed quite useful.

It was definitely Constable. Horace, the p.a. announcer, got it wrong. To be fair, it was at the ASBO-2-GO Stand end, so he probably couldn't see!

Duke
Site Addict

Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:25 am

Constable bagged a brace :shock: MMF will love it. :wink:

Exile
Jobsworth

Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:52 am

Duke wrote:Constable bagged a brace :shock: MMF will love it. :wink:

It was only the reserves. :wink:

Exile
Jobsworth

Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:53 am

PS - Nice avatar, Pedagogue. :wink:

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:23 am

Exile wrote:PS - Nice avatar, Pedagogue. :wink:

Yes, isn't it! Can't think where I got it from! :wink:

retired

Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:35 pm

Both the davies lads were head and shoulders above the rest are they related

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:49 pm

tinned wrote:
OldPenkSaddler wrote:Brown can go back to Reading right now, to be turned inside out by Constable aint a good sign.

Ahh, Brown. A great DD signing. Know's he's made another almighty balls up so pretends it was as a sort of very early pre-season trial. If it wasn't for the fact of Lyall, Ciderwahtsit, Canaerio etc then I might believe it.

How Ironic. Turned inside out by a player dumped to bring in Ciderfest. Best manager we have had for years.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:53 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:
tinned wrote:

How Ironic. Turned inside out by a player dumped to bring in Ciderfest. Best manager we have had for years.

Simple question (but I'll hide it here to avoid four pages of cack from predictable sources), if DD was always planning on leaving at the end of the season (and there's been no specific incident that prompted him to leave this week) then why did he bring Brown in to have a proper look at him for next season (and the noises coming out of the club said that right from the start)?

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:56 pm

Good question. To which like many things involving Richard Money, I don't know the answer.

I Haven't seen Brown play, the post was written more in sarcasm than anything else. He may well be a good player.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:27 pm

Plastic Hawk wrote:
Blazing_Saddler wrote:
tinned wrote:

Simple question (but I'll hide it here to avoid four pages of guano from predictable sources), if DD was always planning on leaving at the end of the season (and there's been no specific incident that prompted him to leave this week) then why did he bring Brown in to have a proper look at him for next season (and the noises coming out of the club said that right from the start)?

Probably for the same reason he bought in most players and was happy to do so in cahoots with STM. Low budget my r's.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:09 pm

retired wrote:Both the Davies lads were head and shoulders above the rest. Are they related?

No but Richard (who played at right-back v. the Sloppies) is the younger brother of Mark who plays for our dear friends, the Dingles.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:53 am

Plastic Hawk wrote:
Blazing_Saddler wrote:
tinned wrote:

Simple question (but I'll hide it here to avoid four pages of guano from predictable sources), if DD was always planning on leaving at the end of the season (and there's been no specific incident that prompted him to leave this week) then why did he bring Brown in to have a proper look at him for next season (and the noises coming out of the club said that right from the start)?

There's a simple answer, I believe. He didn't. Money thought he was coming on trial, form what I was told, only to find out STM had offered a contract.

As for JC, the Sloppie fan here at work says he is, quote, "bloody awful" and non league standard at best.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:36 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
Plastic Hawk wrote:
Blazing_Saddler wrote:
tinned wrote:

There's a simple answer, I believe. He didn't. Money thought he was coming on trial, form what I was told, only to find out STM had offered a contract.

Yeah, that probably covers all the bases! :roll: :roll:

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:03 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:As for JC, the Sloppy fan here at work says he is, quote, "bloody awful" and non league standard at best.

Which really shows how poor our strikers are/have been, this season, as Constable, for all his faults, is still better than any of them!

Think disgruntled Butler, half-season Mooney, Canaryman, Moore (or less), the skill-free zone that is Deeney, greyhound Nicholls, etc. Ricketts added an extra dimension to our attacking play but even he could hardly be described as a prolific scorer.

So what did we do to rectify this goalscoring weakness? Why, - sign a crocked, unfit centre-back who can't get in Reading's reserve team! Jeez, I give up! :evil:

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:05 pm

Pedagogue wrote:
Neil Ravenscroft wrote:As for JC, the Sloppy fan here at work says he is, quote, "bloody awful" and non league standard at best.

Which really shows how poor our strikers are/have been, this season, as Constable, for all his faults, is still better than any of them!

Think disgruntled Butler, half-season Mooney, Canaryman, Moore (or less), the skill-free zone that is Deeney, greyhound Nicholls, etc. Ricketts added an extra dimension to our attacking play but even he could hardly be described as a prolific scorer.

So what did we do to rectify this goalscoring weakness? Why, - sign a crocked, unfit centre-back who can't get in Reading's reserve team! Jeez, I give up! :evil:

So did our manager. :cry:

tinned
Site Addict

Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:54 pm

Pedagogue wrote:

But Bob, he was the best manager have EVER had! :roll:

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:17 pm

tinned wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:

But Bob, he was the best manager have EVER had! :roll:

Are you both suggesting that Money might actually also be responsible for us missing out on the play offs in that he made poor loan signings and our home form was awful?

May I suggest that if our away form was just as bad I'd be happy to blame the usual/easy suspect(s) but we were winning games away. Football is played on grass, pretty much the same size wherever it is doesn't matter. If we had a formula for winning away that should have been used to win at home, which would have seen us in the play offs even allowing for the sale of Dann, Fox and the poor choice in signings that were made afterwards.

Return to 2007-08 Season