Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

A.F.C Bournemouth (H) League 1 Saturday 19/4/08.

Reports and reaction from the 2007-08 season as Walsall finished 12th in League 1
Cueball
UTS Regular

Re: A.F.C Bournemouth (H) League 1 Saturday 19/4/08.

Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:38 pm

Worst performance of the season. To think Bournemouth are most likely going to get relegated with a team that absolutely murdered us. Still, JB is going to bank-roll us next season, so nothing to worry about. :roll:

We might like to raid Bournemouth for that Joe Kuffour who I thought was a handfull today. Amazing isn't it? A team going down had a strikeforce far, far better than ours.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:42 pm

Cueball wrote:We might like to raid Bournemouth for that Joe Kuffour who I thought was a handfull today. Amazing isn't it? A team going down had a strikeforce far, far better than ours.

I still think we signed Bedeau instead of Kuffour from Torquay by accident. :lol:

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:30 pm

Ive been saying to my brother lately, we need a player like Jo Kuffour.

Puts ball in net, makes your team look alot better than it is.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:09 am

We will get relegated next season. Absolute dross.

Bonser out.

Can't say anymore, too angry.

UTS Legend

Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:10 am

bangsection wrote:
HKSaddler wrote:
Guest wrote:That's this year's 'Hong Kong Saddlers Promotion Party' off then :cry:

Seems to be. Have to be a bog standard end of season drink then.

Why don't you have an 'Unparalleled Period of Financial Stability, Identifying External Revenue Streams and Living Within Our Means Party'?

Catchy :)

UTS Legend

Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:17 am

bangsection wrote:
HKSaddler wrote:
Guest wrote:That's this year's 'Hong Kong Saddlers Promotion Party' off then :cry:

Why don't you have an 'Unparalleled Period of Financial Stability, Identifying External Revenue Streams and Living Within Our Means Party'?

Actually, I think you may have hit on something there. That's the sort of thing that just might increase our fan base in HK.

The Premiership won't stand a chance.

HKSaddler
the "fececious" one

Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:18 am

Guest wrote:
bangsection wrote:
HKSaddler wrote:

Actually, I think you may have hit on something there. That's the sort of thing that just might increase our fan base in HK.

The Premiership won't stand a chance.

As I said, a bog standard end of season drink. :mrgreen:

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:28 am

So sad that the season has disintegrated like this, when it had so much promise. Really sad...

ToeJoe Jnr
UTS Regular

Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:32 am

My biggest concern for next season is that I can't really see a foundation from which we are building on. Our defense has started leaking goals, our midfield is slower than the local old people homes relay team and we have a non-existant forward line!! That is one major re-build for the Summer, getting the right players in and forming some kind of team spirit. I miss the last game of the season due to holiday, and normally I wouldn't entertain this idea but after yesterday's performance, the knoledge of this made me quielty contnet as I sat through that dire display! Oh well, season ticket renewed for next season, so fresh hopes and optimisim for 2008/09!

Oh and finally TAXI for Mooney......close the door on the way out fella. :x

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:53 am

ToeJoe Jnr wrote:My biggest concern for next season is that I can't really see a foundation from which we are building on. Our defense has started leaking goals, our midfield is slower than the local old people homes relay team and we have a non-existant forward line!! That is one major re-build for the Summer, getting the right players in and forming some kind of team spirit. I miss the last game of the season due to holiday, and normally I wouldn't entertain this idea but after yesterday's performance, the knoledge of this made me quielty contnet as I sat through that dire display! Oh well, season ticket renewed for next season, so fresh hopes and optimisim for 2008/09!

According to the Mercury he is on his way to Spain today to check out an opportunity and "although nothing is decided for next season, he definately wont be signing a new contract at Walsall" (probably as one wont be offered!)

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:58 am

Whitti Steve wrote:
ToeJoe Jnr wrote:My biggest concern for next season is that I can't really see a foundation from which we are building on. Our defense has started leaking goals, our midfield is slower than the local old people homes relay team and we have a non-existant forward line!! That is one major re-build for the Summer, getting the right players in and forming some kind of team spirit. I miss the last game of the season due to holiday, and normally I wouldn't entertain this idea but after yesterday's performance, the knoledge of this made me quielty contnet as I sat through that dire display! Oh well, season ticket renewed for next season, so fresh hopes and optimisim for 2008/09!

According to the Mercury he is on his way to Spain today to check out an opportunity and "although nothing is decided for next season, he definately wont be signing a new contract at Walsall" (probably as one wont be offered!)

I can exclusivly confirm that he is my new pool (and swim up bar) cleaner.

retired

Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:31 am

I mooney is going and it seems he is it will be interesting to see what he has to say about the club management beccause it wont matter that he needs a " reference" from the club if he is not playing any more. Perhaps we will get to know why there is despair in the dressing room who caused it. Why are some 1st team players recently signed training with the youth team??? does this say the youth team are the future of walsall or is JB that uninterested or is RM a man who is very opininated about his own worth.

Burnside
UTS Regular

Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:10 pm

At least we didn't have to put up David "the water carrier" "most inefective footballer" McDermott carrying the ball around yesterday. Good ability on the ball, zero impact potential.

Where was Ish ? injured / suspended or left out.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:28 am

Port Vale got relegated, and looking at their team sheet, our team aint better than theirs.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:31 am

Another home game, another dismal dismal performance.

Where do I start?

Maybe with the starting line up. Betsy out wide, yet Deeney up front? Oh come on. Our only tactic is to boot the ball up in the hope Mooney gets a flick on, so why have we got our fastest and therefore most likely player to get on the end of a flick-on, out wide? The same player who's started to look dangerous the last 3 games - out wide? Yet playing the player who looked really quite good on the right wing earlier in the season yet couldn't hit a cows backside with a banjo - upfront? Why?

Finally DD sees this and moves Deeney out right, and Betsy upfront. Deeney gets a knock and comes off, and despite having a ready-made right winger on the bench in the form of Nicholls, we decide to bring a central midfielder on [who incidently should have started in place of the atrocious Dobson who i'll come to later] for a right winger, giving us a midfield of 1 left winger, and 3 central midfielders. It was no surprise therefor that we suddenly became dreadfully lopsided. Money told Weston to get forward, but as anyone who knows anything about football could have told you, he was immediately out of position because he was so far forward, with no cover. Despite this strange 3-1-4-2 formation, we still couldn't keep the ball to save our lives. Anyone who watched MOTD2's analysis of Newcasltes different tactics this season under Allardyce and Keegan will have seen our tactics almost exactly, Allardyces plan was to boot the ball up, they couldn't keep the ball - and look what happened to him! Now look at them, they keep the ball, they pass and move, pass and move, open up spaces and get the ball in to the box and shock horror they actually shoot.

Our attacking was simply dreadful, we're so slow and ponderous going forward its untrue. Our crossing was abysmal - and thats being kind. How many corners didn't even beat the first man? Thats simple stuff. Really simple stuff.

And Dobson ... Oh Dear Oh Dear Oh Dear. How on earth this chap ever made it as a football player is beyond me - I suppose it gives me hope though, 'cos if he can make it, then so can I. He was worse than useless. By that, I mean we could have literally had no one instead of him, and we'd have been better off. He can't run, his passes only just reach their target, he can't tackle, he turns slower that the Titantic and his positional/footballing brain is non-existant - At one point, we were under pressure coming back towards our own goal, and instead of giving an option, he simply ran away from the ball, with his back to the play :shock:

We need to get back to basics, we can barely pass, we dont create chances, when we go forward, we simply dont have a clue - it actually looks like they literally dont know what to do. We all know DD is defensive, but I swear they dont even practice attacking in training, I mean the way we attack is nothing short of utter dross. Every time we get the oppurtunity to cross, we wait, and wait, and wait, and then finally get it in. Going through the middle, we are relying on a defender messing up somehow, and we betide any walsall player who wins a 50:50! Even when theres two Walsall players on one Bournemouth player, the Bournemouth player came out with the ball more often than not. Thats simply and utterly disgraceful. Any decent manager would be going absolutely mental at that. Yet DD just sits quietly. We all know DD is moody, I just wonder whether he's just as pissed off as the rest of us at the events of January, 'cos he clearly doesn't give a damn any more. Why should we?

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:07 am

As an aside, it is worth noting that the home attendance against Bournemouth [4,065] was the second lowest Saturday turnout this season, at a time when theoretically we still had an outside chance of the Play offs. I think the number of people willing to turn up in what has been a so called "season to be proud of" says it all.

Worrying times ahead.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:14 am

BathSaddler wrote:As an aside, it is worth noting that the home attendance against Bournemouth [4,065] was the second lowest Saturday turnout this season, at a time when theoretically we still had an outside chance of the Play offs. I think the number of people willing to turn up in what has been a so called "season to be proud of" says it all.

Worrying times ahead.

The attendance was announced as 4530 on Saturday. While that's still not very good, it's 10% higher than 4065 (although 4065 was closer to how many I thought were actually there).

Having said that, I'm sure the announced attendance on Tuesday night was 4500, it's now showing everywhere as 5200 (and there were nowhere near that many - I thought that the 4500 was an exaggeration)... :?

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:17 am

Plastic Hawk wrote:The attendance was announced as 4530 on Saturday. While that's still not very good, it's 10% higher than 4065 (although 4065 was closer to how many I thought were actually there).

Having said that, I'm sure the announced attendance on Tuesday night was 4500, it's now showing everywhere as 5200 (and there were nowhere near that many - I thought that the 4500 was an exaggeration)... :?

Typical - we're so well run as a club we're trying to make up for everyone else's tax scams by pretending there's more people in the ground not less. No wonder etc..... :D

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:40 am

Read what I've said, PH. The 'home' attendance was 4,065, with the additional 465 coming from Bournemouth. That extra 10% were away fans.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:53 am

BathSaddler wrote:Read what I've said, PH. The 'home' attendance was 4,065, with the additional 465 coming from Bournemouth. That extra 10% were away fans.

I think the same home fixture in our play off victory season the attendance was 7160ish.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:25 pm

I blame the credit crunch and global warming. People are worried about spending money (especially Jeff) and dont want to leave their houses for fear of flooding, sunburn and of course bird flu.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:16 pm

BathSaddler wrote:Read what I've said, PH. The 'home' attendance was 4,065, with the additional 465 coming from Bournemouth. That extra 10% were away fans.

Apologies - I only skimmed through it! I was really looking for somewhere to ask about the "growth" of the crowd from Tuesday night. No way was there 5200 there!

Four Oaks Saddler
UTS Veteran

Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:45 pm

Plastic Hawk wrote:

Apologies - I only skimmed through it! I was really looking for somewhere to ask about the "growth" of the crowd from Tuesday night. No way was there 5200 there!

I was listening to commentary on Five Live the other day, and it was suggested that Arsenal take their attendances on tickets sold rather than the number of people actually going through the turnstiles.

I'm not sure if this is a common practice, but maybe this could account for such 'discrepancies'. :?:

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:16 pm

philthesaddler wrote:Another home game, another dismal dismal performance.

Where do I start?

Maybe with the starting line up. Betsy out wide, yet Deeney up front? Oh come on. Our only tactic is to boot the ball up in the hope Mooney gets a flick on, so why have we got our fastest and therefore most likely player to get on the end of a flick-on, out wide? The same player who's started to look dangerous the last 3 games - out wide? Yet playing the player who looked really quite good on the right wing earlier in the season yet couldn't hit a cows backside with a banjo - upfront? Why?

Finally DD sees this and moves Deeney out right, and Betsy upfront. Deeney gets a knock and comes off, and despite having a ready-made right winger on the bench in the form of Nicholls, we decide to bring a central midfielder on [who incidently should have started in place of the atrocious Dobson who i'll come to later] for a right winger, giving us a midfield of 1 left winger, and 3 central midfielders. It was no surprise therefor that we suddenly became dreadfully lopsided. Money told Weston to get forward, but as anyone who knows anything about football could have told you, he was immediately out of position because he was so far forward, with no cover. Despite this strange 3-1-4-2 formation, we still couldn't keep the ball to save our lives. Anyone who watched MOTD2's analysis of Newcasltes different tactics this season under Allardyce and Keegan will have seen our tactics almost exactly, Allardyces plan was to boot the ball up, they couldn't keep the ball - and look what happened to him! Now look at them, they keep the ball, they pass and move, pass and move, open up spaces and get the ball in to the box and shock horror they actually shoot.

Our attacking was simply dreadful, we're so slow and ponderous going forward its untrue. Our crossing was abysmal - and thats being kind. How many corners didn't even beat the first man? Thats simple stuff. Really simple stuff.

And Dobson ... Oh Dear Oh Dear Oh Dear. How on earth this chap ever made it as a football player is beyond me - I suppose it gives me hope though, 'cos if he can make it, then so can I. He was worse than useless. By that, I mean we could have literally had no one instead of him, and we'd have been better off. He can't run, his passes only just reach their target, he can't tackle, he turns slower that the Titantic and his positional/footballing brain is non-existant - At one point, we were under pressure coming back towards our own goal, and instead of giving an option, he simply ran away from the ball, with his back to the play :shock:

We need to get back to basics, we can barely pass, we dont create chances, when we go forward, we simply dont have a clue - it actually looks like they literally dont know what to do. We all know DD is defensive, but I swear they dont even practice attacking in training, I mean the way we attack is nothing short of utter sh!te. Every time we get the oppurtunity to cross, we wait, and wait, and wait, and then finally get it in. Going through the middle, we are relying on a defender messing up somehow, and we betide any walsall player who wins a 50:50! Even when theres two Walsall players on one Bournemouth player, the Bournemouth player came out with the ball more often than not. Thats simply and utterly disgraceful. Any decent manager would be going absolutely mental at that. Yet DD just sits quietly. We all know DD is moody, I just wonder whether he's just as pead off as the rest of us at the events of January, 'cos he clearly doesn't give a f*ck any more. Why should we?

Not to bad overall then ?

Duke
Site Addict

Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:39 pm

Wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:We will get relegated next season. Absolute dross.

Bonser out.

come on lets keep things in prospective , do you honestly think we'll start next season with the same squad we have now.
off course we are all disappointed to have missed out on the play offs . every Walsall fan with any sense would have accepted a top 10 finish at the start on the season what important now is to build on this season successful return to league 1.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:13 pm

Plastic Hawk wrote:

No worries, PH, easy done. With regard to the Bristol Rovers crowd, the local paper down here gave the attendance as 4,500, with BBC Bristol stating the same during the second half commentary. I therefore have no idea where the 5,200 came from.

tinned
Site Addict

Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:16 pm

Duke wrote:
Wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:We will get relegated next season. Absolute dross.

Bonser out.

come on lets keep things in prospective , do you honestly think we'll start next season with the same squad we have now.
off course we are all disappointed to have missed out on the play offs . every Walsall fan with any sense would have accepted a top 10 finish at the start on the season what important now is to build on this season successful return to league 1.

Correct, but you seem to be forgetting the few months where we were in the top 5, and looked comfortable. That was until our wonderful saviour decided to forgoe a real crack at promotion and took his wedge on some stupid gamble of promotion next season.

Previous
Return to 2007-08 Season