Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

A.F.C Bournemouth (H) League 1 Saturday 19/4/08.

Reports and reaction from the 2007-08 season as Walsall finished 12th in League 1
UTS Legend

Re: A.F.C Bournemouth (H) League 1 Saturday 19/4/08.

Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:16 pm

That's this year's 'Hong Kong Saddlers Promotion Party' off then :cry:

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:22 pm

latviancheese wrote:
BathSaddler wrote:
latviancheese wrote:Cant even beat bournemouth at home, Awful, truely awful. So glad i didnt do today, id be frothing at the mouth.

Do you not look at the current form tables? Bournemouth have won the last five and beat Bristol Rovers fairly comfortably last week. Did you really expect us to turn them over easily when you consider how consistently crud we have been recently?

Did i say that?

The point i was making is,to go up, you gotta be able to beat Bournemouth at home. More to the point, win at home in general.

You did imply that we should expect to beat Bournemouth. At present, I would not trust us to beat Stafford Rangers.

stefano123
UTS Regular

Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:23 pm

latviancheese wrote:
BathSaddler wrote:
latviancheese wrote:Cant even beat bournemouth at home, Awful, truely awful. So glad i didnt do today, id be frothing at the mouth.

Do you not look at the current form tables? Bournemouth have won the last five and beat Bristol Rovers fairly comfortably last week. Did you really expect us to turn them over easily when you consider how consistently crud we have been recently?

Did i say that?

The point i was making is,to go up, you gotta be able to beat Bournemouth at home. More to the point, win at home in general.

spot on. over the season we haven't deserved to go up full stop. Will never forgive Fox and Dann for deserting us or Bonser for not making more money available... bitter and gutted at the moment

tape66
UTS Legend

Location: Solid steel visor riveted across his eyes, Iron staples close his jaws so no one hears his cries.

Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:28 pm

Looking forward to the first match report.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:32 pm

stefano123 wrote:
latviancheese wrote:
BathSaddler wrote:

Did i say that?

spot on. over the season we haven't deserved to go up full stop. Will never forgive Fox and Dann for deserting us or Bonser for not making more money available... bitter and gutted at the moment

I'm bitter and gutted too, and for the first time in my life I'm questioning why I support this club [that's 35 years of being a Saddler]. I truly detest the owner and his outlook on life - people like that have very little imagination, and usually only know the cost of everything and the value of nothing.

However, I cannot blame Dann and Fox for wishing to better themselves. I mean, why hang around with us? A club who seems to be more interested in booking the Syd Lawrence Orchestra in the B***** Suite than running as a moderately ambitious football club.

wednesburysaddler
Glitterati

Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:37 pm

think the last home match may be a bit vocal for the unlove of a certain chairman!!!!!

HKSaddler
the "fececious" one

Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:41 pm

Guest wrote:That's this year's 'Hong Kong Saddlers Promotion Party' off then :cry:

Seems to be. Have to be a bog standard end of season drink then.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:48 pm

Load of Pants

bangsection
Site Addict

Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:55 pm

HKSaddler wrote:
Guest wrote:That's this year's 'Hong Kong Saddlers Promotion Party' off then :cry:

Seems to be. Have to be a bog standard end of season drink then.

Why don't you have an 'Unparalleled Period of Financial Stability, Identifying External Revenue Streams and Living Within Our Means Party'?

Louise
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:56 pm

Well just listened to Dickies comments on WM - he said the Performance today was 'Totally unacceptable to play like that at home, and I have let the players know that.'
He was asked about Mooneys comments midweek just said you will have to ask Mooney but then did say 'Its been a real effort since the 2 players left for Coventry and demotivation does hit the dressing room' so he obviously concurs with
Mooneys comments.

Like Dickie i too feel v low tonight after sitting through that match - but the play offs have gone now so we have to try and finish as well as we can to achieve a decent final position.
The summer will require rebuilding and im confident after listening to DD that he will be the man to be there to do the job.
Whether he will get the Boards backing and the money required as we all know is another matter completely....

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:02 pm

stefano123 wrote:Will never forgive Fox and Dann for deserting us

What a joke.

Playing in front of twice the fans, for three times the money, a division up (at least at the moment), and such a hit that they're England Under-21 players. Yeah, how stupid they were.

The real world - ever heard of it?

Anyway, enough of this.

About the game: Tat

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:09 pm

I have to say that this capitulation was expected, given the Cherries' recent run of form and our deciding not to compete in the promotion race, this year. Bournemouth were good value for their win but, to be fair, unlike the Bristol Rovers match, we did actually have some shots on target (4 in the first half and 2 in the second)!!!!!! DD has just been on BBC Radio Dingle admitting that the performance was unacceptable and that he is feeling as low now as he has at any time in his two years at the club. Too many of the young players, whom he would like to have "wrapped in cotton wool" have had to play and they have now "hit the wall" (his words, not mine).

Ince - o.k. but not his commanding best - could he have done better on their 1st goal? TV replay may tell us more

Weston - again just about o.k.
Smith - the real encouraging "plus" from this week's two games. He makes a few mistakes but this mini-run in the team will do him the world of good, ready for next season.
Gerrard - my MotM, wholehearted as ever.
Taundry - still a real prospect for the future, at fault for their first goal?

Betsy - why, oh, why does DD insist on playing him on the right wing when he had played so well in the first half, down the middle, against Bristol Rovers?
Dobson - did o.k. within the very, very limited rôle that he can play but a midfielder needs to contribute much, much more.
Bradley - totally anonymous which was not surprising given that he had got off his sickbed to play. Unsurprisingly subbed.
Holmes - easily our best attacker and sponsors' MotM

Deeney - the injury list must surely be the only reason that he gets in. He huffs and puffs and chases a lot but, when all's said and done, there is no substitute for skill and he lacks an awful lot in that department.
Mooney - poor again and the only reason for his selection is the lack of alternatives

Subs:-
Nicholls (for Bradley) - added some pace to our attacks but little else
N'Dour (for Deeney) - barely satisfactory, added very little to our play

While recognising the constraints placed on DD by illness, injury (and sale of players), he must take responsibility for selection, tactics and dealing with the obvious general demotivation in the squad since January. We are so slow and predictable in the build-up play and the team is clearly lacking in self-belief and confidence. No player wants to play a first time ball when passing, crossing or shooting - always taking that extra touch (which invariably leads to loss of possession) - the classic symptoms of lack of self-confidence. Never mind coaching ability - this is the time for DD to show his MANAGERIAL skills by putting things right.

sj
Site Addict

Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:24 pm

I spent most of the second half loooking at the clock. :x

Goose277
Glitterati

Location: One morning I shot an elephant in my pyjamas. How he got in my pyjamas, I don't know

Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:43 pm

I think Pedagogue has summed it up perfectly and for the first time since we played Bristol City at home the last time we were in league 1, I left early :cry:

Terrible performance all round. I feel very dejected tonight.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:47 pm

Twas pants... Looking back its obvious that the lack of use of even a part of the Fox/Dann money is the real reason why we probably just fritter out to about 10th.

Are you telling me that looking at the fixtures with our pre 31st Jan team that home games against Brighton, Northampton, Bristol Rovers and Bournemouth wouldn't have been 3 pointers.

In one way I am really chuffed that we have finished where we have as I was predicting a tough battle at the bottom with our pre season squad yet I can't help but feel cheated with the sale of Fox and Dann, the 8 points or so I feel that we would have got from the above matches would have been the difference between a trip to Wembley or not. :cry:

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:28 pm

Truly, truly dire. What's the point of turning up anymore and I'm not just talking about the fans. Many of us have acknowledged and praised DD for his managerial skill which resulted in promotion as champions last season and then embarking on our long unbeaten run to the fringes of automatic promotion after Christmas. Well we all know what's gone wrong.

No Ricketts, no Dann, no Fox, no replacements, no team spirit, no tactics other than launching the ball 50/70 yards for our 'tallismanic'? old crusty mooney who despite a lot of shirt kissing and fist shaking, only appreciated by the dregs, consistantly fails to produce anything resembling a 'chance'. Dobson, who's only fan would appear to be our resident Dobfan who despite a brain the size of a planet fails to recognise that Dobson is stuck in reverse which would account for his backward challenges and slug like reactions. Our hero, 'there's only one Richard Moaney' appears to be so busy blaming everyone from the fans that turn up week in week out to the 'lack of experience of the young players' should be concentrating on what he is employed to do and that is shut up and manage the team.
I don't blame the players out on the pitch, they can't help being c ra p, old, inexperienced, young or just not good enough for this division I blame Richard Money for not insisting on players honouring their contracts, for not signing adequate replacements, for failing to strengthen the squad, for making comments to the press about how he thinks that the players left behind at the club after the loss of Ricketts, Dann and Fox were good enough and couldn't be bettered by any signings and for backing every thing that Jeff Bonser has told him to say.

In other words, I blame Jeff Bonser for everything. You can't have it both ways Jeff, by all means be our saviour but don't think that the buck stops anywhere else than you. You are the managing director, you make the decisions about finance, budgets and management appointments and you must accept responsibility not only for the position we now find ourselves in but also for the sense of being cheated that most fans are experiencing.

I don't give a toss about Walsall going bust, I'm not bothered about playing in the Conference, I just want, like many of the fans I have known over the past 35 years, some sign of 'madness' from a chairman that is prepared to speculate, waste money, chase a dream, show some ambition, break our 30 year old transfer record, hire a tank of goldfish for £100 a week or just cheat the system like Leeds in order that for once we can stop being little old Walsall.

Mike T.
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:35 pm

Pedagogue's report spot on as usual. The only comment I would take issue with is Ndour. The ONE bit of quality we produced in the match was his pass to set up Betsy for the goal.

We have to have players with movement and making intelligent runs to receive his passes. The current incumbent of the number 9 shirt is just not bothered and is more interested in picking a fight with the opposition keeper.

I would accept Ndour perhaps needs to make the pass quicker but a number of times he looked up to see ......nobody in a white shirt moving at all!!

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:38 pm

Rubbish. Even DD said it was unacceptable, so it must have been truly shocking!

Everyone was poor, so there's no point going through them one by one. However, Captain Fantastic deserves to be singled out for special criticism. If you're going to go on TV to moan about getting a new contract then it's probably a good idea to actually put in some performances that might actually justify one. As an experienced professional the guy should be ashamed of the way he's conducted himself in the final six months of his career - and today summed that up. He spent the entire second half on a personal vendetta against the Bournemouth keeper for the crime of not picking the ball up in order to kill a bit of time when his team were a goal up away from home. Perhaps he'd have picked it up a bit quicker if Captain Marvel had actually been *rsed to go and close him down instead of standing on the half way line bellowing pointless threats about how he was going to decapitate him if he didn't get on with the game.

If Mooney had expended half as much energy on trying to run around as he did on attempting to injure the keeper every time he jumped for the ball then he might actually have made a difference to the game. As it was, we'd have been better off with Swifty up front. W****r.

Now we can't make the play-offs TM should be told never to darken our door again. No need for him to show up at training for the next two weeks and inject any more of the poison he spouted on TV in the week into the minds of our younger players - and there's absolutely no reason to select him for the last two games when we can use them to look at alternatives for next season.

Mike T.
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:48 pm

I agree Plastic. I just cant see the point of continuing to play the w****r. If we still have as many injuries for the final game at home to 'Pool I would rather see the youth team striker play than see another non performance from Mooney.

If I heard correctly the youth team won 2-0 and I believe are top of their league with one game to play. Whoever plays up front must at least be playing with some confidence and would give it a go. Please DD also leave Betsy to play down the middle where he produced our best moments (however few!!) and dont switch him wide right.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:55 pm

Two teams who had suffered major setbacks to their respective campaigns faced eachother today. One had balls, a will to win, guile and a real grit between their teeth in wanting to finish the season on a high. The other looked sorry for themselves and without the mental capacity to focus on anything other than flip flops on the beach in a few weeks time. The team with the best attitude won convincingly.

In all honesty, there isn't really much point running through each andevery player in the side, because I might as well copy and paste what I said after the Bristol Rovers game. At least on Tuesday night we tried to raise the tempo and at least grind some sort of chance and hope out of the game. Today we just capitulated.

Our two biggest threats were always Betsy and Holmes. Two players who aren't contracted to the club and frankly, if they've got any ambition, they won't want to earn a contract with us anyway. Gerrard was his usual fairly solid self along with Weston, however you have to start looking at the recent goals against and wonder if the defence could do better as a unit. Their second goal came as a result of a complete absence of concentration across the back line, which is unforgivable.

Football is supposed to be a dynamic sport. Why were the majority of our players just standing still for most of the time when we were in possession of the ball. Mike T. is spot on to mention N'Dour. The guy has quality, has played at a high standard and was probably just embarassed to have the bll at his feet so many times with no-one to pass to. In the end, he's made to look a mug by having to play an overly ambitious ball, praying a mistake from one of their players turns it into a success. It's simply not good enough.

Good points to take from the game? Our goal was the only ounce of quality we've produced in 180 minutes of football. That's about it. Holmes rightly got the man of the match award but is starting to look like he's had enough and needs a break. Who could blame him - he's been the only outlet from our midfield for 4 months.

This squad needs the biggest amount of surgery as we've seen in recent years. That's probably the issue for another thread though.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:08 pm

I agree with Mike T and Rob about N'dour. I am surprised that Pedagogue (whom I usually agree with about everything) does not see that N'dour has a better first touch, better passing skills and more time on the ball than any of the players in our present squad. I am not surprised that Richard Money does not see this and does not give him much time on the pitch, but Pedagogue is not usually so wrong about a player.

While we do have as weak a set of forwards at the club as we have ever had in all my time watching Walsall, the real problem today was midfield. They were nowhere to be seen when the back four had the ball - so all our defenders could do time after time was HOOF the ball up the field. For most of our midfield the best option they could find when they had the ball was to pass to one of our back four and then disappear so the poor mug defender would have no option but to show that he is not very good at pin-point sixty yard passes.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:23 pm

N'Dour was the best player other than Holmes IMHO - he didn't do too much wrong.

retired

Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:28 pm

Perhaps now is the time to let some of the youth team and the other 1st year pros who havnt had a chance have a go the likes of sansara harris davies davies and hanna they could nt do worse could they. Give them a go it makes no difference to walsall fc now. Well done Manny

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:36 pm

retired wrote:Perhaps now is the time to let some of the youth team and the other 1st year pros who havnt had a chance have a go the likes of sansara harris davies davies and hanna they could nt do worse could they. Give them a go it makes no difference to walsall fc now. Well done Manny

People keep saying that, but I expect we'll just continue playing the group of players who have been in and around the first 16 for the last few weeks. In fairness, you're limited as to how much you can learn about players when neither side involved has anything to play for.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:38 pm

retired wrote:Perhaps now is the time to let some of the youth team and the other 1st year pros who havnt had a chance have a go the likes of sansara harris davies davies and hanna they could nt do worse could they. Give them a go it makes no difference to walsall fc now. Well done Manny

I agree. Can't do any harm and ought to stand them in good stead for next season.

Nobody who's not going to be around next season should play in either of the last two games. Manny Smith's made the odd mistake in the last two games (not a criticism - all kinds make mistakes), but better he (and the rest of the youngsters) get them out of the way this season and learn the lessons ready for next season.

NeechezTheSaddler

Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:48 pm

I couldn't believe the boos when N'Dour came on and they carried on for every touch until he shut them up with a great through ball for the goal, Sure he doesn't run around like a headless chicken jumping into tackles which pleases most of our fans, but he was the only one in the midfield that would actually want the ball and come deep for the ball and calmy pick out a pass simple or defense splitting. Before he was on the ball just went straight from Smith/Gerrard up to mooney and then back to Bournemouth. Why do we insist on pumping long balls and thousands of crosses when we don't have a player that can head the ball?

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:29 pm

Either side of the "Ricketts period" we have been one of the worst teams in this division. Anyone who seriously thinks we have the will, wit, talent, guts, or testicles to mount a promotion challenge next season without a complete overhaul of the playing side of the club, which itself could only result from a complete rethink of the club's transfer policy - is an idiot.

I love reading what the idiots have to say mind, so over to them to fill the weekend entertainment gap created by the joke that is Walsall FC January-May 2008.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:40 pm

Geordiesaddler wrote:Either side of the "Ricketts period" we have been one of the worst teams in this division. Anyone who seriously thinks we have the will, wit, talent, guts, or testicles to mount a promotion challenge next season without a complete overhaul of the playing side of the club, which itself could only result from a complete rethink of the club's transfer policy - is an idiot.

I love reading what the idiots have to say mind, so over to them to fill the weekend entertainment gap created by the joke that is Walsall FC January-May 2008.

This idiot agrees with your assessment of the need for an overhaul. I don't see why the transfer policy shouldn't change though - it has done in the past... :wink:

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:49 pm

[happy clapper]We're now perfectly set up to make a real tilt at promotion next season[/happy clapper]

Back in the real world. This club is rotten to the core. The chairman doesn't give a shiny ***** as long as we keep bubbling along (oh and writing the monthly cheque). The team is left to rot and we basically have to drag players from their sickbeds to make up the numbers. The manager wouldn't know an attacking/dynamic tactic if his life depended on it.

Promotion next season?????? This club needs a total overhaul from top to bottom if we're going to be safe from relegation next season.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:12 pm

Geordiesaddler wrote:Either side of the "Ricketts period" we have been one of the worst teams in this division. Anyone who seriously thinks we have the will, wit, talent, guts, or testicles to mount a promotion challenge next season without a complete overhaul of the playing side of the club, which itself could only result from a complete rethink of the club's transfer policy - is an idiot.

You are dead right about the "Ricketts Period".

With Ricketts in the side we played 16 and lost 0.

Oddly enough the Ricketts Period was almost exactly the same as the "Dobson Not In The Team Period". There was only one match in which both Ricketts and Dobson were involved.

Dobson has started 20 matches so far this season. Walsall have only won 4 of them, but have lost 11 times with Dobson in the side. During the 18 match unbeaten run Dobson only started two matches (the first two).

PreviousNext
Return to 2007-08 Season