Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Bristol Rovers (H) League 1 Tuesday 15/4/08.

Reports and reaction from the 2007-08 season as Walsall finished 12th in League 1
Neuromantic
Site Addict

Re: Bristol Rovers (H) League 1 Tuesday 15/4/08.

Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:18 pm

Ince - Made a couple of good saves

Weston - HOOOOF! not his fault, clearly he has been told to do that.
Gerrard - HOOF!!!!
Smith - HOOF! Lost his man for goal I believe
Taundry - as a left back HOOF!!!! - but went into midfield and was the only one with any sense of purpose.

Holmes - strangely taken off for an over rated cretin.
Dobson - Did ok, but it never an offensive midfielder ever.
N'Dour - Crap
Sonk0 - Cancel his contract.

Mooney - looks tired and below par, not good enough.
Betsy - Caused lots of problems first half but amazingly put to right wing, incredible decision.

Subs:

Deeney - Runs a lot but he is absolute dross, get rid.
McDermott - I was actually impressed with him, made him self available but was ignored for the HOOF!!!
Demontagnac - Did nothing and managed to get booked again, thats about it.

Diabolic performance. Happy clap clap clap.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:20 pm

Exile wrote:Listened to only the second half, admittedly, but Mick (ha, ha, I see the problem now!) said it was very positive. Lots of pressure, plenty of corners, but as I said above, no end product. If there had been we'd have been good for at least the draw.

Honestly Tim, they could have had 3 or 4 second half. One was possibly miss of the season from 3 yards out.

The difference was they had Ricky Lambert (who is quality) and we had Tommy Mooney.

One was brought for £200k who is young and talented, the other is a 36/37 year old veteran. Sums it all up.

wednesburysaddler
Glitterati

Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:21 pm

another shambolic home performance with lets be honest a thread bare tiring squad.
if that line up was playing next year we would be relegation fodder have no fear.
i cant think of anything positive to write apart from congratulating ince on his 100th appearance for us.
wednesburysaddler

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:27 pm

Tonight, it was ALLL in the teams hands, All we had to do was win.

Im sorry but Money should go out, put himself in the stocks, and we can all throw tomatoes at him. my gran could of figured out what was needed tonight.

Rovers are big, physical side, we aint. So what do we do? hoof it. Disgraceful.

Betsy was playing well up front, so we put him on the right, where he does nothing. Mooney should be releaseed tomorow morning, missed a sitter, didnt win fanny all night.

We played well in first half despite losing a goal, w passed it well, and caused problems, but Money tells them to hoof it. WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY ? WHY? WHY? WHY?

BONSER IS NOT TO BLAME HERE, MONEYS TACTICS WERE.

Our promotion hopes went ended with a Troy Deeney dummy to thin air. Release him.
Take the only Ball winner out the middle and bring on a midget who cant run. RELEASE HIM.
Aim far post crosses af a fat paceless old egg. Release him
Taundry was superb, reminds me of dean keates, wants to win.
Gerrard good
Weston Good
Betsy only effectual up front.
Holmes, good but knackered, sign him up.
Ishy, good in spells, was about to run through their defence but the tWonk of a ref pulled it back.
Smith, good, but where was he for their goal?
Dobson, very good today imo. bizzare sub.
N Dour, Too slow, needs to pick up pace, but good passing as usual.

It was all horrible, no fight, no pace, no presence, stupid tactics.

LEEDS LOST, WE LOST. DICKIE F***** UP TONIGHT, NOT BONSER. and dont bother responding to me saying my heads not up Bonsers arse, im peed off too that he didnt invest. But come on, get real.

Well theres a word to sum up my night, cack.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:28 pm

Exile wrote:No points seems like a travesty after what sounds like a great performance.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

wednesburysaddler
Glitterati

Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:31 pm

ive still got the missus rubbing cream in my neck because its so sore from following the ball when we had possession.
i still cant believe how incredibly dire we were and to be honest at home for most the season.
were a very very very average team that couldnt beat an egg if there life depended on it
they should give all their wages to charity tonight an absolute disgrace

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:34 pm

Well there, ladies and gentlemen, is the product of 2 seasons of work of the master tactician that is Richard Money. Best manager we've ever had??????? Anyone that seriously thinks that needs their heads testing.

That performance was Mersonesque. Clueless, pointless "football" (if you're brave enough to label it as football). We were out thought and out played by a bog standard team. The pace of our attacks is snail like, by the time we eventually look to hit the box the opposition defence has had time to get back, tie their shoe laces and oick their noses. The only course of action left to us by then is the big hump upfield in the vain hope it just happens to drop somewhere fortuitous (sp?). Did DD not notice their centre halves dwarfed us? There is no width, no movement no nothing.

Why did it take the announcement of the Leeds score to briefly gee the players into a bit of action? Is making the ply off's not motivation enough?

What exactly does Mooney have to do to get dropped? The bloke is a waste of space (oh sorry, he does roar at the crowd with some skill :roll: ).

We're waiting until next season to make a real push for promotion? Give me a break, we will be nowhere near the top 6 next season.

Some of you need to take the blinkers off and see things for what they are. We've got a manager that has got ONE tactic, if any team counteracts that he's got absolutely NO idea's on how to change things. His signings are dodgy to say the least, the decision not to strengthen in February leaves many questions as to his decision making skills, he constantly comes out with de-motivational drivel about us not deserving to be where we are. If he walked today you wouldn't see me shed one tear.

I'm no massive fan of Bonser but those that choose to solely blame him for this situation are avoiding the truth.

Salop Saddler
UTS Veteran

Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:39 pm

Poor, or should that simply be poo.

Louise
UTS Legend

Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:41 pm

Well after a freezing rainy night sitting in the FTG , the weather reflected the team, wet and miserable.
I didnt think we played well at all - it was dull, uninspiring stuff.
Could have played til midnight and would not have scored - totally toothless up front. Troy Deeney, i cant remember when he scored last?
Mooney did his usual running around but to no avail.I thought Mannie Smith was competent in for Ropes.
Why we bought Mc Dermott on i do not know (i dont think he is league 2 standard player let alone one).
I knew things were desperate when the announcement of Leeds conceding momentarily galvanized the team - for gods sake they should play to win cos they are paid even at this level excessively well and are supposed to be professional.
In truth we didnt deserve to win , and the Leeds result just compounds our self -inflicted misery.
The play offs are gone and I just hope we do some drastic rebuilding in the Summer.

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:42 pm

latviancheese wrote:Tonight, it was ALLL in the teams hands, All we had to do was win.

Im sorry but Money should go out, put himself in the stocks, and we can all throw tomatoes at him. my gran could of figured out what was needed tonight.

Rovers are big, physical side, we aint. So what do we do? hoof it. Disgraceful.

Betsy was playing well up front, so we put him on the right, where he does nothing. Mooney should be releaseed tomorow morning, missed a sitter, didnt win fanny all night.

We played well in first half despite losing a goal, w passed it well, and caused problems, but Money tells them to hoof it. WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY ? WHY? WHY? WHY?

BONSER IS NOT TO BLAME HERE, MONEYS TACTICS WERE.

Our promotion hopes went ended with a Troy Deeney dummy to thin air. Release him.
Take the only Ball winner out the middle and bring on a midget who cant run. RELEASE HIM.
Aim far post crosses af a fat paceless old egg. Release him
Taundry was superb, reminds me of dean keates, wants to win.
Gerrard good
Weston Good
Betsy only effectual up front.
Holmes, good but knackered, sign him up.
Ishy, good in spells, was about to run through their defence but the tWonk of a ref pulled it back.
Smith, good, but where was he for their goal?
Dobson, very good today imo. bizzare sub.
N Dour, Too slow, needs to pick up pace, but good passing as usual.

It was all horrible, no fight, no pace, no presence, stupid tactics.

LEEDS LOST, WE LOST. DICKIE F***** UP TONIGHT, NOT BONSER. and dont bother responding to me saying my heads not up Bonsers backside, im peed off too that he didnt invest. But come on, get real.

Well theres a word to sum up my night, tat.

Pay peanuts, get well intentioned monkeys.

Do their best with the PG Tips, but make a right mess of the Pot Noodle.

Still lets not over-stretch ourselves, there's plenty of extict animals you know, and millions of years left for us to evolve.

More tea anyone?

m&m
Glitterati

Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:43 pm

Totally agree Metfan on the awful performance.Rovers were by far the better side from the kick-off and should of won more comfortably.
On these occasions the finger of blame is usually pointed at the obvious target by the usual suspects.For me and it's only my opinion along with the 5 others I attend with the point of blame for tonight can only go in one direction --our fantastic manager Mr.DD.
Crap team selection,crap substitutions,crap tactics.

Sonko --awful in the rain.
N'Dour --ditto
Dobson --Why was he playing in an attacking midfield role?
MC'Dermott --Never giong to make it.Where did he come from tonight? Next season Kiddy,season after Rushall.

Why not Bradley and Nicholls tonight?

Sorry DD I don't like you,the way you approach the game,your attitude and arrogance.

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:44 pm

Wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:
Exile wrote:No points seems like a travesty after what sounds like a great performance.

A travesty? where on earth did you get that info from? Not having a go at you mate, but the source.

Oh come on Darren, at least admit the truth. If it wasn't for their keeper pulling out 6 or 7 world class saves then we'd have seen a score more representative of the game.

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:54 pm

The game was described on SaddlersWorld as, and I quote: "one of the best seen at Bescot this season" and MK then added "and if only we had played like this more often at home, we would have gained more points".

Must admit, at one point I got so excited, I nearly checked my online bank account, which remarkably after a month abstaining from this madness is still in credit and I get paid again on Friday!!!!

I might even have enough for a holiday this summer, I hear Cyprus is lovely.

Failing that I might opt for a UK coastal break in my spare room, and take out a pension fund.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:56 pm

tinned wrote:
Wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:

A travesty? where on earth did you get that info from? Not having a go at you mate, but the source.

Oh come on Darren, at least admit the truth. If it wasn't for their keeper pulling out 6 or 7 world class saves then we'd have seen a score more representative of the game.

We looked knackered and not up to the task. Rovers looked OK but solid at the back. The long ball approach made them look first class.

Disappointing.

Exile's quote should be kept forever for amusement value, I know it's not your fault though - so far away and only Mick Kearns for company - but funny in a painful way. The fans were great again, all 4,500 of them.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:57 pm

Geordiesaddler wrote:The game was described on SaddlersWorld as, and I quote: "one of the best seen at Bescot this season" and MK then added "and if only we had played like this more often at home, we would have gained more points".

Must admit, at one point I got so excited, I nearly checked my online bank account, which remarkably after a month abstaining from this madness is still in credit and I get paid again on Friday!!!!

Failing that I might opt for a UK coastal break in my spare room, and take out a pension fund.

Honestly Geordie, Im sure no one wold disagree that was one of the most disgusting pieces of 'football' all season. Complete rubbish.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:57 pm

Just seen an advert on the UTS top bar for 'blocked drain Walsall'. Sounds about right.

LancsSaddler
UTS Regular

Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:00 pm

not too dissapointed because i knew this would happen anyway. i could see leeds losing and then us ballsing it up aswell.....

just a few comments on players, based on this game and the season so far....
ince: i just cant have any confidence in the guy, i know hes got a decent record with us but he just scares me every time he gets the ball.
weston: solid (as for most of the season)
gerrard: he always has problems against strikers who are good in the air as hes not dominant enough like an inform roper or, dare i say it, dann. he hardly won a header all night!
smith: looks to have promise. seemed to be at fault for their goal but it is his first game this season.
taundry: dont want to judge him as not a left back in a million years

holmes: looks tired, seems to have forgoten how to beat his man. created a few things 1st half though.
sonko: not really in the game, as for quite a few games this season....
dobson: solid game, broke up their play and played it simple. thats his job, did it it well as normal.
N'dour: classy 1st half, looked totally shattered 2nd half. he could hardly kick the ball!

betsy: our best player whilst upfront, had to work for 2 players.
mooney: i could write an essay on how inefectual he was and has been for the last 10 games. should be dropped, although quite who will replace him....

deeney: works hard but no end product, still much better than mooney at the moment.
ishy: did quite well when we bothered to give him the ball. the ref did him no favours. has looked more interested the last few games after being awful midseason.
mcdermmot: looks good on the ball, but far too weak at the moment.

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:02 pm

LancsSaddler wrote:mooney: i could write an essay on how inefectual he was and has been for the last 10 games. should be dropped, although quite who will replace him....

There's no one to replace him because the great tactical magician decided we didn't need strengthening there and we could adequately cope. Clueless idiot!

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:03 pm

Geordiesaddler wrote:The game was described on SaddlersWorld as, and I quote: "one of the best seen at Bescot this season" and MK then added "and if only we had played like this more often at home, we would have gained more points".

Listening in from the Bristol end, and taking into account the obvious bias of any local radio commentary team, I have to say it did not sound great to me. 'Long ball', 'hit and hope' and 'Mooney looking for the foul' were said on quite a few occasions.

NeechezTheSaddler

Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:05 pm

Disappointed, I think that's it for this season. But we should be proud of what the team have achieved this season and who knows maybe going up this season would have been too soon, we have a chance now to give our youngsters another seasons experience which I doubt they would have got in the championship. For the last three games of the season get Mooney out and give Deeney and Nicholls in the team, partly to give them an opportunity to shine and partly because Mooney is complete toss.

It's a credit to the lads this season that we're disappointed to only just miss out on the play-offs. And there's always next season :wink:

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:13 pm

I just caught the end of Mick Kearns's summary on North Staffs Saddler's car radio, after the match. I don't know what Mick was on but I'd like some of it! :shock:

Yet another glorious opportunity thrown away with Leeds losing. I cannot recall a single on-target shot of ours, all game. As all the other posters have said - our tactics were one-dimensional and totally inappropriate against big central defenders and the changes/substitutions were unbelievable - has Dicky lost the plot?

Why was Brown on the bench, tonight? (Indeed, why was Brown signed in the first place - have we so much money that we can subsidise a Premier League club's wage budget?). I assume that Bradley was ill or injured. We certainly missed him.

Man-of-the-match - I can only assume that the sponsors chose Ince as recognition of his 100th appearance - which was a joke. I thought Smith made a promising restart to his career. Sure, he made a couple of mistakes but fewer than his more experienced colleagues.

Again, as so many others have said, our fall from grace over the last two months is down to bad management, particularly the failure to recruit players to remedy the weakness which has been glaringly obvious to all supporters but not to the management, apparently, i.e. the lack of firepower with the over-reliance on a game but ageing has-been and a youngster who is nowhere near good enough (and unlikely ever to be, imho).

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:15 pm

Poor is the only word to describe that. Manny Smith would have been my MOTM - very comfortable, our hosts decided to go for Ince - who did do well, and according to Roy Whalley thats his first ever MOTM at Walsall - therefore I wont begrudge him it!

Terrible game, so bad that we made Bristol Rovers look a class above in the passing department.

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:16 pm

Pedagogue wrote:Again, as so many others have said, our fall from grace over the last two months is down to bad management, particularly the failure to recruit players to remedy the weakness which has been glaringly obvious to all supporters but not to the management, apparently, i.e. the lack of firepower with the over-reliance on a game but ageing has-been and a youngster who is nowhere near good enough (and unlikely ever to be, imho).

And still we're assured by many that we've got the best Walsall manager of all time and we'll mis him when he's gone. :roll:

Cueball
UTS Regular

Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:22 pm

I just can't see how a team supposedly going for the play-offs can't have a single shot on target all game. There was no lack of effort, but sadly a big lack of quality.

I couldn't believe how tired we looked against a team that have been playing catch-up for the last month due to their cup-run. Their forwards had time on the ball, space to whip in some fantastic crosses - everytime we got the ball we were closed down and had no space at all.

Personally, I thought Holmes looked our only attacking threat and I was flabbergasted that he was substituted.

The crowd? 4,500 at home with a chance of the play-offs. I don't think it's just the club who have given up, it looks like a few hundred regulars have as well.

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:30 pm

The team that we had pre-Christmas was undoubtedly good enough to challenge for promotion, and with further improvement of its obvious talent and a few shrewd additions who knows where we could have got had we reached The Championship? We have chosen to strip out 4 of our best players from that team, in addition Mooney (predictably) ran out of steam, Bradley (a mere youth) I presume is injured, or equally understandably out of steam - thats 6 outfield players (effectively) gone, 6 of our best ones! Name me a team anywhere in the world competing at its level that could stand such a ravaging and expect to retain its form????

Whoever you choose to blame, Its footballing suicide.

If anyone wants to read the suicide note, then review any press interview by DD from about Christmas onwards, or alternatively JB's interviews in the E and S or on Radio 5.

For those still with their fingers in their ears, don't worry, it'll be summer soon and we can all sit, tongues out in anticipation of the "transfer rumour sticky" on here. Before anyone tells me to eff of to the dingles (my nearest dingles are probably Barnsley BTW), I'll be there too, just my tongue might be a bit more "in cheek" this summer.

Salop Saddler
UTS Veteran

Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:49 pm

tinned wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:Again, as so many others have said, our fall from grace over the last two months is down to bad management, particularly the failure to recruit players to remedy the weakness which has been glaringly obvious to all supporters but not to the management, apparently, i.e. the lack of firepower with the over-reliance on a game but ageing has-been and a youngster who is nowhere near good enough (and unlikely ever to be, imho).

And still we're assured by many that we've got the best Walsall manager of all time and we'll mis him when he's gone. :roll:

Yes, you’re absolutely correct, and I’ll put my hands up and admit that I’ve stood by him (or at least not been as critical as some) and the decisions he’s made this season. But the complete lack of tactical nous which accompanied tonight’s effort (I’ll spare it the title of performance, because it wasn’t one) was shocking, utterly and completely shocking.

IF it’s true that he didn’t strengthen this squad in key departments because he was happy with what he’d already got at his disposal, and IF it’s true finance was made available to do this and he declined the offer, then there has to be a huge question mark hanging over his managerial judgement. Of course, this can only be speculation as it only appeared in the press, and it’s been stated on here many times that we must take that with a pinch of salt.

On the other hand (and based upon what I was told this evening) IF it’s true that he was forced to off-load MR for financial reasons, and IF it’s true that he attempted to bring in a fairly decent championship striker AHEAD of the cretin we ended up with from QPR but got knocked back for financial reasons, then that puts a whole different complexion on things.

At the end of the day, and when all’s said and done, RM wont step down, It’ll be down to Bonser to pay him up and show him the door. Perhaps it’s time for the owner to start splashing the Fox and Dann cash on a P45.

southern saddler

Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:15 pm

From what ive seen recently, there is one player we miss more than anyone. No it's not Scotty Dann. Not it's not Danny Fox. It is Michael Ricketts. I never understood the high praise dann was getting this season. Last season yes. This season :? . Danny Fox, yeh good player, but didnt do much this season until Sweeney arrived. Fox and Sweeney down the left, in partlicular against leeds, looked absolutely fantastic. BUT... Michael knew where the goal was. He could put the ball in it. I dont give a flying toss if he is a lazy fool if he scores. Mooney runs all sodding game, he struggles to score from the penalty spot, god knows when his last goal from open play was. Deeney exactly the same. Runs his socks off, but the lad couldnt score in a brothel. The player we miss most is Ricketts, without a shadow of the doubt.

oldburysaddler

Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:28 pm

I have come up with a great idea. Most of you who post on here should form a boyband and appear on Britains Got Talent. Your ability to talk out of your anuses can surely be turned to singing too.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:39 pm

oldburysaddler wrote:I have come up with a great idea. Most of you who post on here should form a boyband and appear on Britains Got Talent. Your ability to talk out of your anuses can surely be turned to singing too.

really? explain yourself then. You think that was a good performance then? :idea:

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:45 pm

Pretty rubbish tonight against a team who are better than their league position suggested.

Unfortunately, we just don't seem able to play when we're a goal behind (Smith's fault for the goal by the way, everyone naming him MOTM). All of a sudden we lump it, throw six men forward - schoolboy stuff. Dreadful. Surely it was obvious where the problems were - primarily that we needed a pacy outlet on the wing to provide Betsy with decent service, since he looked like the only one likely to do anything up front - so what happens, Betsy himself becomes that pacy outlet - and there's nobody up front to pass to. Mooney back to his worst, and I'm sorry but Deeney isn't good enough. Why not bring Nicholls on the right wing? He's looked pretty threatening with his pace whenever he's come on and he's even scored a couple of goals from his brief appearances out wide this season. Don't see the point of having him on the bench if he doesn't come on in a game like that.

And the midfield... oh dear. Sonko was a waste of space, N'Dour is completely hopeless, and when Holmes and Dobson went off (the former presumably because he's still carrying an injury - the latter, completely mystifying why he went off) then all that was ever going to happen was us lumping it forward and it then coming back again.

Spectacularly bad (and entirely avoidable) decisions by the manager cost us dear tonight. We could have been within a whisker of the top six again if he'd got it right.

PreviousNext
Return to 2007-08 Season