Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Bristol Rovers (H) League 1 Tuesday 15/4/08.

Reports and reaction from the 2007-08 season as Walsall finished 12th in League 1
We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Re: Bristol Rovers (H) League 1 Tuesday 15/4/08.

Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:57 pm

Best manager we have ever had. No wonder we have always been s***

moaning saddler
Glitterati

Location: Taking Back Control - Bescot Market or a Single Market? Decisions, decisions...

Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:08 am

After suffering that feeble exhibition, I've got to agree that the club has managed to engineer itself into a situation where we are now definitely punching above our weight. Not that we even threw any punches tonight.

The Rovers keeper must have had one of his easiest games of the season, such was the complete lack of attacking threat from the Supers.

Ince - did his job well.
Weston - my player of the season. Was due a poor game - had one tonight.
Taundry - not quite ready yet. Needs to be told that it isn't a crime to simply put the ball out of play when trying to defend.
Smith - decent game. Unfortunately, went missing for their goal.
Gerrard - did his job OK.
Sonko - a nothing display yet again.
Dobson - did his usual. Competent until he tries to pass the ball.
N'Dour - not on anyone's wavelength tonight.
Betsy - MOTM. Showed effort and energy.
Mooney - either he is off-form or he is going through the motions. I suspect the latter. Get rid!
Holmes - drifted in and out of the game. Was he fit?
Subs :
Asbo - some very very good things, some so-so things, and the usual booking. Has improved on his mid-season woefulness, to be fair.
Deeney - part of the "dream team" strike force. Lots of effort as usual, not a striker in a million years.
McDermott - surprised to see him. Would have preferred to see Nicholls.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:35 am

Was nicholls on the bench tonight?

If so, Richard Money should kick himself for bringin on a useless Mcdermott instead.

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:42 am

SaigonSaddler wrote:
tinned wrote:
Wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:
Exile wrote:No points seems like a travesty after what sounds like a great performance.

A travesty? where on earth did you get that info from? Not having a go at you mate, but the source.

Oh come on Darren, at least admit the truth. If it wasn't for their keeper pulling out 6 or 7 world class saves then we'd have seen a score more representative of the game.

We looked knackered and not up to the task. Rovers looked OK but solid at the back. The long ball approach made them look first class.

Disappointing.

Exile's quote should be kept forever for amusement value, I know it's not your fault though - so far away and only Mick Kearns for company - but funny in a painful way. The fans were great again, all 4,500 of them

Don't worry - match threads hang around for ever. From what I had to go on from Saddlerworld it was the performance of the season in the second half. Maybe I'll get tinned, Metfan or geordie to phone me up next time. :wink:

Redordead
UTS Veteran

Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:36 am

Is it the final nail in the coffin, Tone?

Dave Gittins
Glitterati

Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:42 am

To be honest I didn't go last night finances being the over-riding factor. From reading what has been posted so I'm glad that I made the decision to stay at home in front of the TV.

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:56 am

Exile wrote:Don't worry - match threads hang around for ever. From what I had to go on from Saddlerworld it was the performance of the season in the second half. Maybe I'll get tinned, Metfan or geordie to phone me up next time. :wink:

Good old Mick! At least we had a nice round number of shots on target (nil).

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:16 am

My thoughts, after a sleepless night dwelling on the tat I was forced to witness at The Banks's (and Joe Longthorne's not on till next month):

Ince: OK. Some good distribution. Made a couple of decent saves.
Weston: OK. Prepared to put his foot in, and fit enough to keep running (which made him special last night)
Gerrard: OK. Tried his best I guess. Looked comical in the 'emergency striker' role at the end.
Taundry: The most right-footed left back I think I've ever seen. Needs must, I guess (with Fox gone and Boertien out), but he cannot provide decent service from that position - a real problem at home. Better when he was moved to the middle.
Sonko: Poor (or 'a disgrace' as the commentator on Sky described him, according to Queen Crimson). Another cross from the right goes unchallenged. Another goal against us. Perhaps someone should have a word?
Dobson: OK. One or two wayward passes (usually because decent, easy options were unavailable), but solid and competitive. He'll do a job, but a match winner, he ain't.
N'Dour: OK. Good touch and passing. Doesn't look fit still. Has the physique to mix it in the middle, but not at match speed - his dwelling on the ball in our penalty area nearly cost us.
Holmes: OK. Decent performance, causing them problems, but some of the service from Taundry was poor and did him no favours.
Betsy: Good. Got behind their back line on a couple of occasions first half. Chased the ball down and forced errors. His game was effectively ended when he was moved to the wing.
Mooney: His sole purpose now appears to flap his arms in encouragement to the Floors2Go Lower. We may as well have Swifty in the No. 10 shirt. As others have said, what does he have to do to be subbed off?
McDermott: Not good enough. Get rid.
Deeney: Maximum effort, zero ability. Chased shadows all the time he was on. Get rid.
Ishmel: Some flashes of talent, and a great cross, and a great corner - but his replacement of Holmes meant he was forced to stay left.

Me? I'd have put Nicholls on for Sonko at half time. I'd have put Ishmel on for Mooney at half time, and rolled the dice. I'd have told Ishmel to stay on-side and play where he liked - no defensive duties at all, just try and get the ball and play. We may have at least gone out with a roar rather than a whimper. Their 'keeper didn't get his gloves dirty all game and,quite frankly, that's a disgrace.

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:22 am

Well you could be upbeat and say no harm done, given that Leeds lost.
But what an opportunity spurned, how many more times will Leeds slip up?

It didn't need to be pretty, we just had to get a result, but that doesn't obligate us to play long ball against a side who eats it.
I've been bemoaning the lack of an authoratative midfielder since Player X signed a new contract, but I have to admit I may have been wrong.
To have no shots on target in such a vital game is absolutely disgraceful. All of the forwards involved last night should be released for that fact alone.
When a on loan winger who's been dozing for ten games comes and outplays all the previous month's forwards in one half, you have to wonder.

For as long as we're still in with a chance of 6th, we keep going, but if we're destined to fail I'd sooner know now.
We could keep going as we are matching Leeds all the way to last game of the season and sneak in, then this game will be a distant memory.
However, it's more likely that we'll know for sure shortly that we'll all be here again next year.
At that point, it's worth just playing Deeney, McDermott or Nicholls up front, or even giving Asbo a go there again. These young lads MAY get better.
Mooney and Moore clearly will not get any better.

Scary. that I wrote this the same time as KC - only on the youngsters do I disagree that they deserve the chance to play again for a contract.
But as it currently stands, every forward except the blameless Nicholls is off.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:02 am

Not so much as a shot on target, absolutely shocking - thanks Dicky Defensive Dosh

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:09 am

Gutless performance. Absolutely gutless.

Who moved the goalposts?

Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:10 am

Not a single ounce of creativity anywhere in the side and none of our forwards (Mooney, Moore, Deeney, Nicholls, Ishy) are anywhere near the standard required to get out of this division. In fact I doubt they would score 15 goals between them in League Two.

Shambolic last night yet I had to endure WM's report of a "stirring second half performance" on the way home. What game were they watching? We were dreadful going forward but this has been the case virtually all season. For a period, we were keeping clean sheet after clean sheet and therefore 1 or even 0 goals were enough to keep a decent unbeaten run going. Now we're left with a virtual make-shift defence, the clean sheets have stopped and we need to score a couple to get the points which isn't going to happen on a regular basis. No chance. We didn't force the Bristol Rovers keeper into anything like a save. Okay, we had a few corners and a bit of pressure but how many times did you actually think to yourself "that was a chance". Never.

I'm afraid that Deeney is never going to be good enough (unless we need someone to constantly place the ball for the opposition goal-kick). I know he's young and still learning and some of his play with his back to goal isn't bad but he is never in a million years going to be a goalscorer. Same could be said for Nicholls. Both look ok in patches 25 yards from goal but they're not going to score regularly. Both would be better playing right-midfield. I'm not just criticising based on last night and this isn't a moan just 'cos our play off hopes are over either.

Surely Bradley, Wrack and even Moore are slightly better options on the bench? I'm not sure of their fitness or injury status but the teams Money has been picking for the last couple of months appear to be totally random. People like Dobson and McDermott aren't seen for months and then all of a sudden they are fairly regularly in the team and players who we built our team around in the unbeaten run (Bradley, Wrack) are sitting in the stand.

Here's to next season. A fairly big clear out please. Money included.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:12 am

Geordiesaddler wrote:Desperate news from what sounded like a really gutsy performance.

Geordie, whoever reported WFCs performance last night as gutsy or unlucky, were massively mistaken. We were awful, from start to finish. We didn't even manage to come close to creating a decent chance. I think mooney came closest, and that went 5 yards wide. Seriously, their keeper might aswell have not turned up - it wouldnt have made a difference - his kit can be worn next weekend it was so pristine after 90 mins.

As for Moneys tactics - atrocious. Their number 6 [dont know his name] was easily the biggest centre half I've seen this season, about 6ft 3 and built like a brick doodoo house, so what did we do ALL NIGHT? Whack the ball up long. That number 6 took pleasure in winning every header.

We were truly truly awful. In 16 years of watching WFC I can honestly say that was one of the worst performances I've ever ever seen. Even under Merson we could must attempts on goal - with Money, we're trying to win games without scoring goals - and that really is a miracle. He sets his stall out to draw 0-0. Even before we knew the score at Huddersfield last night was a huge chance to gain ground on Leeds, who playing away in a local derby, were by no means guarunteed a win, let alone a point. Even when Bathurst announced that Leeds were 1 nil down we still couldn't muster a shot.

And all those people saying we played well in the last 20 mins!? What were they on? We had loads of possession because Rovers put 11 men behind the ball and were playing a 5-5-0 formation.

Disgraceful performance, I didnt get to hear what Money said after the final whistle, but I'd be interested to know what he said, fricking idiot, how the hell can you win games if you dont even trouble the keeper once.

Oh, and another tacticaly master stroke was to, for some reason, play N'Dour and Dobson in reversed roles. All this season and last we've seen Dobson at his strongest as a defensive midfielder - the player who broke up the play and sweeped up, and last week we saw N'Dour as an attacking midfielder, using his presence and passing range to cause trouble - last night, Money swapped them round - N'Dour barely got out of his own half he was playing so deep, and Dobson was pushing forward. What a masterstroke Dickie. :roll:

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:24 am

I have to agree with the sensible majority here - this defeat, regardless of the rights and wrongs of the transfer policy in January, can be directly attributed to the manager. I've pretty much defended him 100% until last night. The lack of tactical nous was appalling.

All of the danger up front was being created by Betsy who showed he is a top-class striker at this level. His running off the ball, his pace, his skill and his effort made him a real threat. Very unlucky not to score in the 1st half. So what does Mr Money do? Puts him onto the right wing!! :roll: He did some useful things there but got little service and was a shadow of the player he'd been in the first half.

As for our other "striker"!!! As someone said, we might as well play Swifty. A pathetic effort by a player who seems content to pick up his wages and do nothing for the rest of the season.

Midfield - we have ONE midfielder capable of putting his foot in and winning a ball, and that's Dobson. So what did Mr Money do? Took him off and replaced him with a 4 foot midget who will NEVER make a footballer in my opinion. From that moment on, we had no-one in midfield capable of tackling, until Mr Money then switched N'Dour and Taundry, a move which perhaps could have been made much earlier. Additionally, WHY play Dobson as the forward midfield player and N'Dour defensively. Dobson isn't quick enough or creative enough for that role. He's a very solid defensive midfielder. Baffling.

Player by player;

Ince - one great save, again I wonder about the goal..............
Weston - not his fault he had to hoof. The options weren't there from Sonko etc. Good game I thought
Taundry - cannot understand any criticism of him really. He's a young, very gifted footballer who looks streets ahead of players like Deeney, Nicholls, Demontagnac etc in terms of development. He's still learning, and needs to learn quickly that sometimes you DO hoof into touch rather than trying to play football. But his desire, skill and competitiveness make him a great asset and, after Betsy, my MOTM
Gerrard - solid but beaten in the air every time last night
Smith - started very nervously, but grew in stature as the game went on. At fault for the goal.Not convinced he has what it takes yet but there's certainly some promise
Sonko - waste of space. Poor marking and no pressure on the player who crossed for the goal
Holmes - ok at times, wanted the ball at least, seems to have lost the ability to beat a man
Dobson - did the defensive part of his job well. Always does. Passing was poorer than usual.
N'Doue - 1st half showed some good skill and strength. 2nd half wasn't in it at all. Which makes it even more strange that it was Dobson who was taken off!
Betsy - superb, great running off the ball, great effort and commitment, a fair bit of skill, lots of pace. A real handful for the Rovers defence. Expect to see Money play him at left-back next match :roll:
Mooney - too angry still to communicate just how poor he was

Subs
Demontagnac - one run stopped by the ref, otherwise ineffectual. Still problems with his temperament. Other refs COULD have sent him off for that retaliation. I do wonder just how many "last chances" he gets. Yes he can win a game, but I see very little evidence that he is "growing up" as Mr Money suggested earlier this week.
Deeney - some effort, no skill, no end product. Face it, he's not going to make it. Good honest lad who can make a career for himself in the higher part of non-league football
McDermott - why?????? I just cannot see what he's got. I can with most other youngsters, even Deeney. But this lad? Pace? No. Strength? No. Skill? Not that I've seen. Passing ability? Not based on games I've seen. Tackling? Not a chance. So what can he do? Reserve-watchers - can you enlighten me?

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:30 am

It's not really rocket science either - if you stick three big blokes up front as we did for the last 15-20 minutes, and then proceed to just hoof the ball up to them, then unless you use your midfield players to make runs behind them there's just no point. The chance of a striker managing to out-jump a 6'4" centre back, take the ball under control and have time to pick out a teammate are nil - all he's going to do is stand an outside chance of flicking the ball over his head for someone to run on to. And a few times, we managed that - only to see Ishmel dawdling about somewhere near the dugout, perhaps occasionally giving a cursory glace towards the game in progress around him, and Taundry and McDermott about 80 yards behind the ball. So what's the point?

Who moved the goalposts?

Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:32 am

Must say that I was fairly impressed with Bristol Rovers (albeit against a damn awful side) but they had a good mix of bruising centre-halves, a few players who could put their foot on the ball and a good forward who knew where the goal was.

Looks like Phil and I were typing an almost identical post at the very same time.

benbo85

Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:35 am

so bad last night, wouldn't blame dicky, hands tied! i would however question his use of subs, everyone saying the same thing with regard to nicholls, why didn't he come on? looked obvious. mooney's done, betsy looked more of a threat up front than him last night, sonko so so so bad looking like mark wright of late, dobbo, haha yeah?

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:38 am

very disappointing to say the least more so when i heard Leeds had lost .
A could of subs that baffled me Holmes and Dobson off for Ishy and Mcdermott unless the 2 were carrying knocks , Nicholls should have come on for Sonko who i thought along with Mooney was very very poor .

N'dour's switch to left back didn't come off , he drifted out of the game when Dobson went off. Betsy worked very hard like he's playing for a new contract take note Tommy Mooney.
Last edited by Duke on Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Maverick
UTS Veteran

Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:42 am

The 'knocks' that were being carried by Holmes & Sonko,whilst brave that they tried to carry on,merely exposed our flimsy squad.
Very concerned with the lack of Inventiveness of the 'Midfield'(and I use the term Midfield loosely of course),which resorted the defence to Hoofing.IMO

I know he can't play everyone but I wonder what Alex Nicholls must be thinking,having to sit on the bench watching last night unfold in front of him. :?

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:42 am

benbo85 wrote:wouldn't blame dicky, hands tied!

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

benbo85

Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:43 am

where was bradley last night?

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:47 am

Fox and Dann were there last night, we could have done with them on the pitch not in the Bonser Suite!

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:49 am

benbo85 wrote:where was bradley last night?

i heard he'd got flu , not sure how true it is.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:50 am

SaigonSaddler wrote:
tinned wrote:
Wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:
Exile wrote:No points seems like a travesty after what sounds like a great performance.

A travesty? where on earth did you get that info from? Not having a go at you mate, but the source.

Oh come on Darren, at least admit the truth. If it wasn't for their keeper pulling out 6 or 7 world class saves then we'd have seen a score more representative of the game.

We looked knackered and not up to the task. Rovers looked OK but solid at the back. The long ball approach made them look first class.

Disappointing.

Exile's quote should be kept forever for amusement value, I know it's not your fault though - so far away and only Mick Kearns for company - but funny in a painful way. The fans were great again, all 4,500 of them.

A strangely round number I thought. Do we think there was a fair number fewer than that, but the club didn't have the guts to own up to it?

priestley_saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:51 am

The morning after the night before.

When I heard the teams announced there wasn't really anything I disagreed with. Smith in for Roper but other than that the same side that won at Cheltenham seemed to make sense. But the players let DD down and he didn't know how to change it. Rovers were average, we were rubbish. The reason people can't remember any shots on target is because there were none; and there weren't many off target either.

Sonko was rightly taken off at half time, but why Deeney came on I have no idea. Betsy was our best player in the first half playing as a striker, so we obviously moved him to the right. Nicholls to play on the right wing, or Ishmel to come on and Holmes to switch right. Either of those would surely have been better options.

The game was lost when Dobson came off for McDermott. The midfield completely went to pot at that point, unfortunately that was more to do with how bad McDermott was as oppose to how good Dobson is. I don't agree that Deeney will never make a striker, I just don't think he benefits from playing alongside Mooney. If Deeney is trying to model his game on Mooney then he can learn off him either in training or by watching Mooney play, but you surely don't play them both together in the same team because they need someone to feed off them. Betsy upfront with Deeney may have proved more fruitful.

Manny Smith did ok, even though you could tell he was lacking first team practice. I didn't think Taundry played to well at left back either, but as he's not a left back its hardly surprising; he improved when he switched with N'Dour. N'Dour himself is proving to be a bit of an enigma in that he goes from the sublime to the ridiculous. He has a great range of passing but he wants so much time on the ball and he's not going to get it. He nearly cost us a goal in the second half and faded out of the game completely at left back.

Congratulations to Clayton on making his 100th appearance, don't think he could be faulted for the goal. Made what looked a real top class save in the 2nd half. Weston and Gerrard weren't as good as normal either, and Holmes looked our only real threat. As I said above, I'd like to see him and Ishy on the two wings. Keep swapping them over and they'll cause full backs all sorts of problems (if either can be bothered to take their man on).

All in all thoroughly disappointing, especially given the Leeds result. Massive chance missed.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:59 am

Wrestled long and hard about whether to go last night or not, in the end I decided rather than dashing after work on a 200 mile drive and spending £20+ I'd go to the gym instead. Looks like a wise decision.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:07 am

priestley_saddler wrote: But the players let DD down and he didn't know how to change it. Rovers were average, we were rubbish. The reason people can't remember any shots on target is because there were none; and there weren't many off target either.

But Moneys the manager, its his job to get them motivated for the game, and to send them out with a the slightest clue of how to break the opposition down. Under Money we are so ponderous going forward, its ridiculous. I've never seen a team so inept at attacking never. We cant shoot, we dont pass and move, we dont create space, crosses are awful. It makes me seriously wonder if we actually practice attacking at all.

I've never been a fan of DD. I asked him to resign earlier in the season, and although that seemed hasty at the time, it was done for the right reasons, because I could see how poor his managerial abilities were. I gave him the benefit of the doubt for the excellent run we went on, but to play Bristol Rovers, an average side, at home, with a chance of getting in to the playoffs, and to produce not a single shot on target, or within 5 yards of the oppostion goal, and to let Bristol Rovers create several really good chances and make our keeper work, its totally and utterly disgraceful. All Im saying is, if I was DD and i'd seen my team put in a performance like that, I'd really question my abilities to manage the team.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:15 am

To expand a bit on "gutless" (although it doesn't really need any elaboration), that was just an awful performance last night. If the players are just going to phone it in then can they let me know in future please? That way I don't have to bother showing up either.

No pace, no creativity, no effort and no ideas isn't the way to win a game of football. We knew that we needed to win today to keep the play-off push going, yet the players didn't show any enthusiasm to do anything about it until the Leeds score was announced over the tannoy 15 minutes from the end - and even then the "anything" was pretty much restricted to waving their arms at one another and at the crowd. Tommy Mooney is an experienced pro and supposed to be the captain of this side (which he knows is inexperienced), he ought to know how to get himself and his team mates up for a big performance in a game like that without needing to hear that Leeds are losing. Absolute disgrace. Anyone who still thinks he has a part to play at the club next season needs their head examining. And any good work he did before Christmas showing Deeney and Nicholls the value of chasing down lost causes and so on has been totally outweighed by his shocking example of not even trying to amble in the general direction of a very alive cause.

Anyway, man for man:

Ince - did everything that could be expected, no chance on the goal.
Weston - ok, at least committed, summed up the failings of everyone else when he was the only player to try to get ahead of the strikers a couple of times in the last 10 minutes (none of the midfielders seemed to see the urgency).
Taundry - shocking, not his fault, he's not a left back and he's still very young, marginally better in midfield but still poor (benefitted from comparison with McDermott), set piece delivery was utterly awful (first man on every corner), lucky not to get sent off for a kick (was booked), clearly hasn't learned from Brighton.
Gerrard - generally solid at the back, rubbish up front (but can't really be blamed for that).
Smith - at fault for the goal and a couple of other ropy moments, but looks to have promise, didn't he used to be bigger?
Dobson - did ok, why was he taken off?
N'Dour - wants too much time on the ball, generally neat and tidy but no urgency at all, knows he won't be here next year, so does he really care?
Holmes - quiet, peripheral, injured?
Sonko - disgraceful, lucky to stay on as long as he did (half time).
Mooney - disgraceful (see above).
Betsy - bright spot of the first half, so moved to wing (obviously :roll: ) where he was abysmal, someone needs to point him in the right direction and just tell him to run, seems to want to run away from goal have the time, nasty rumour about his contract that is as bad as anything under Merson and makes him near to undroppable.

Deeney - runs around a lot, not much end product, still young.
Ishmel - never really got into the game, partly because the ball was constantly lumped over his head but also because he made no effort to pick up second balls.
McDermott - smaller and weaker than my eight-year-old cousin, probably less good at football too, what's the point?

There's still the basis of a decent team for next year at the club, especially at the back (Ince, Weston, Gerrard, Bradley), but it needs to be seasoned with some experienced players still in their 20s (similar age to Weston and Boertien) in the middle of the park and there's a clear need for two good strikers to score the goals (Nicholls and Deeney are probably fine on the bench).

Some tactics would probably help too.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:19 am

Was there to be seen for all last season too Phil. We won the League, blardy blah. He knows how to organise a team, but if you don't give an attacking threat, then it becomes a whole lot easier to do that. The signings of Benjamin and Harper saved his bacon last season, because promotion was slipping away until then.

I'm not quite sure why he thinks he is such a great manager, I dont see there being a big queue to take him off our hands.

Simon of Sedgley

Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:30 am

priestley_saddler wrote:The morning after the night before.

When I heard the teams announced there wasn't really anything I disagreed with. Smith in for Roper but other than that the same side that won at Cheltenham seemed to make sense. But the players let DD down and he didn't know how to change it. Rovers were average, we were rubbish. The reason people can't remember any shots on target is because there were none; and there weren't many off target either.

Sonko was rightly taken off at half time, but why Deeney came on I have no idea. Betsy was our best player in the first half playing as a striker, so we obviously moved him to the right. Nicholls to play on the right wing, or Ishmel to come on and Holmes to switch right. Either of those would surely have been better options.
The game was lost when Dobson came off for McDermott. The midfield completely went to pot at that point, unfortunately that was more to do with how bad McDermott was as oppose to how good Dobson is. I don't agree that Deeney will never make a striker, I just don't think he benefits from playing alongside Mooney. If Deeney is trying to model his game on Mooney then he can learn off him either in training or by watching Mooney play, but you surely don't play them both together in the same team because they need someone to feed off them. Betsy upfront with Deeney may have proved more fruitful.

Manny Smith did ok, even though you could tell he was lacking first team practice. I didn't think Taundry played to well at left back either, but as he's not a left back its hardly surprising; he improved when he switched with N'Dour. N'Dour himself is proving to be a bit of an enigma in that he goes from the sublime to the ridiculous. He has a great range of passing but he wants so much time on the ball and he's not going to get it. He nearly cost us a goal in the second half and faded out of the game completely at left back.

Congratulations to Clayton on making his 100th appearance, don't think he could be faulted for the goal. Made what looked a real top class save in the 2nd half. Weston and Gerrard weren't as good as normal either, and Holmes looked our only real threat. As I said above, I'd like to see him and Ishy on the two wings. Keep swapping them over and they'll cause full backs all sorts of problems (if either can be bothered to take their man on).

All in all thoroughly disappointing, especially given the Leeds result. Massive chance missed.

Not often I agree but well summarised, didn't anyone see our shot on target Mooney shot bouncing off the keepers chest

Here's My brief appraisal.

Not enough quality in the team, we had the chance to bring them in but decided against it :?:

Created a few good chances for Betsy and Mooney which better strikers would have finished (or got on target at least)

However, it has been a good season for consolidation, promotion would have meant regular beatings, perhaps a year on the youth may be more ready, that is unless they become more than ready and get sold.

As for McDermott, I think it was his interview for a new contract (remember Wayne Thomas), he looked ok (not brilliant but ok, we were chasing the game) but sadly I think he is destined for more non league, than league Two games.

Sadly sometimes size does matter no matter how skillfull you may be.

PreviousNext
Return to 2007-08 Season