Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Reserves v. West Bromwich Albion 8/4/08

Reports and reaction from the 2007-08 season as Walsall finished 12th in League 1
Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Reserves v. West Bromwich Albion 8/4/08

Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:36 pm

Tesco Bagladies 4 3 Saddlers
(played at the Whore Thorns)

Walsall (4-4-2)
Rene Gilmartin

Mark Bradley (Capt.)
Aaron Brown
Tom Schwarz
Netan Sansara

Alex Nicholls
Charlton Davies
David McDermott
Ishmel Demontagnac

Troy Deeney
Stefan Moore

Unused Substitutes:-
Harry Harris
Chris Hanna
Daryl Westlake
Cameron Jones
Tom Cox (gk)

Manager:- Jimmy Mullen
(Baggies' manager was a rather portly-looking Craig Shakespeare)

Goal Log:-
8th min. - 0-1 - James Hancox gifted the ball to Deeney who accepted the gift with great aplomb
21st min. - 1-1 - Brown was just skinned for pace as Shergill McDonald burst through the middle to equalise
29th min. - 2-1 - Ricky Nicholls (ex-St.Thomas More & Walsall Schoolboys player) hooked the ball over Sansara and Gilmartin to put the Baggies ahead (not dissimilar to Ledley's goal for Cardiff, yesterday)
33rd min. - 2-2 - The Saddlers deservedly levelled through Alex Nicholls (no relation to Ricky!) who scored with a cracking shot.
71st min. - 3-2 - Totally against the run of play, Baggies broke away to regain the lead through Lateef Alliyu.
83rd min. - 3-3 - Nice piece of skill and determination from Asbo Ishy to level the scores yet again.
90th min. - 4-3 - A sublime lob over Gilmartin's head by Ricky Nicholls sealed the points for the Baggies.

Comments:-
Good even first half. Albion looked the more composed on the ball but lacked the killer touch in front of goal until they equalised. Deeney missed two sitters and Moore one good chance. We finished the stronger side at the half-time whistle.
The Saddlers resumed the second half in total control, restricting the home side to the occasional foray upfield. However, this time it was their turn to be unable to finish off their attacking moves, Moore and Deeney being the principal culprits. The Albion's 3rd goal rather took the wind out of Walsall's sails and the Albion came back into the game, a bit more. This was a very entertaining game that we should have won. However, a combination of Brown's "rustiness" at one end of the pitch and poor finishing at the other, handed the game to the Baggies.
Defence:- Gilmartin, Schwarz and Sansara were steady without being spectacular; Brown is still way, way short of fitness. Although he improved as the game wore on, he was left for dead for pace by the nippy Albion forwards, every time that they ran at him. Bradley was class (as usual).
Midfield:- Nicholls and Demontagnac were a threat down the flanks and Davies and McDermott worked hard in the middle.
Attack:- Same old problem with Deeney and Moore - just not good enough. Deeney will pressurise defenders but his first touch on the ball is poor and he will not use his left foot at all...... as for Moore - why?

Duke
Site Addict

Re: Reserves v. West Bromwich Albion 8/4/08

Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:48 pm

sounds a very entertaining game Bob , disappointed to hear still improvement from Moore.
how do you reckon young Gilmartin is progressing ?

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:32 pm

Rene was o.k. It would harsh to fault him too much with the Baggies' goals (apart, possibly, from the 3rd). Ricky Nicholls's two strikes were top drawer and would have beaten most 'keepers.

RED 5
UTS Veteran

Location: CHEADLE HULME,CHEADLE ROYAL OR CHEADLE TOWN OR CHEADLE WITH A C

Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:56 am

No Bert again! He wasnt even on the bench saturday? I wonder if he has an injury? :?

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun May 25, 2008 7:43 am

Heard a few bits and bobs about Ricky Nicholls (the Albion lad). Would he benefit from a season in League One? Would we benefit from having him?

Cully
Site Addict

Sun May 25, 2008 7:33 pm

King Crimson wrote:Heard a few bits and bobs about Ricky Nicholls (the Albion lad). Would he benefit from a season in League One? Would we benefit from having him?

I don't know, but he might or might not and we might or might not. I hope that helps :?

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun May 25, 2008 7:50 pm

Cully wrote:
King Crimson wrote:Heard a few bits and bobs about Ricky Nicholls (the Albion lad). Would he benefit from a season in League One? Would we benefit from having him?

I don't know, but he might or might not and we might or might not. I hope that helps :?

I think we have a right to know for sure.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun May 25, 2008 8:20 pm

Exile wrote:
Cully wrote:

I think we have a right to know for sure.

:D

I was actually hoping Pedagogue (on line at the time) may have a view - seeing as an Albion fan I know rates him.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sun May 25, 2008 9:25 pm

King Crimson wrote:I was actually hoping Pedagogue (on line at the time) may have a view - seeing as an Albion fan I know rates him.

Ricky was a much sought-after player when he was a schoolboy (St. Thomas More school). He might benefit from a loan spell with us as would another ex-Walsall schoolboy, Mark Davies, (brother of Richard) from the Dingles. They would both bring some young legs to our midfield, badly lacking (apart from Bradley, pre-Christmas) over the last two seasons. Nicholls's first team chances seem slim at the Bagladies, particularly now that they are back in the Premier League. Similarly, Davies has been hit with injury, last season, and a fresh chance may do him the power of good.

I am sure that both would do US the power of good! :D

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Mon May 26, 2008 5:08 am

Pedagogue wrote:Nicholls's first team chances seem slim at the Bagladies, particularly now that they are back in the Premier League.

I am sure that both would do US the power of good! :D

Cheers. Actually, the conversation began about WBA in the PL. Isn't this the sort of realistic move we should be looking to make to augment our squad?

Return to 2007-08 Season