Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Reserves v. Port Vale 31/3/08

Reports and reaction from the 2007-08 season as Walsall finished 12th in League 1
Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Reserves v. Port Vale 31/3/08

Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:52 pm

Port Fail 4 0 Walsall
(played at Fail Park)

Attendance:- not announced

Walsall (4-4-2)
Rene Gilmartin

Darren Wrack (Daryl Westlake, 45 min.)
Manny Smith (Capt.)
Aaron Brown
Netan Sansara

Edrissa Sonko
David McDermott
Alessane N'Dour (Charlton Davies, 75 min.)
Alex Nicholls (Troy Deeney, 45 min.)

Kevin Betsy
Stefan Moore

Unused Substitutes:-
Hassan Bacchus
Harry Harris

Manager:- Jimmy Mullen

Referee:- Uriah Rennie!!!!

Goal Log:-
15th min. - 1-0 - Ex-Dingle Keith Lowe headed in following a right wing corner.
25th min. - 2-0 - an excellent cross-shot from Joe Cardle put the home side further ahead
76th min. - 3-0 - Cardle scored his second of the night with a penalty (conceded by Brown for a trip) which was nearly saved by Gilmartin
85th min. - 4-0 - Ross Davidson cut through a static Saddlers' defence for a fine goal

Comments (jointly from our two UTS correspondents, Pedagogue and North Staffs Saddler):-
Considering that 8 of the Saddlers' starting line-up would consider themselves to be "in the frame" for first team selection, this was a very insipid performance from what was, on paper at least, a very strong team. We never looked like scoring apart from a header from Brown that went over the bar, following a corner-kick. In the second half, Nicholls came off, McDermott went wide left, Betsy wide right and Deeney took over a striker's rôle. Moore's contribution (we blinked and nearly missed it) was summed up when his 61st minute penalty-kick was comfortably saved by Vale 'keeper, Chris Martin. The overall team performance was a little better - but only a little.
Mr. Rennie had to be the centre of attention, awarding 2 penalties - both very harsh decisions.
Aaron Brown - looked to have ability but was, not surprisingly, rather "ring rusty". The season will be over by the time he is match fit. We must have signed him for next season!

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Re: Reserves v. Port Vale 31/3/08

Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:30 pm

Christ Almighty! Good job we've used this season to 'consolidate' in League One. :roll:

What an awful result.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:14 pm

Jesus christ. That is a pretty strong line up to get stuffed so easily. Did vale have a strong line up, or was it a bunch of kids who took us to peices ?

You sure Mullen was managing the team, and not Tommy Coakley ? :shock:

northern_saddler

Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:10 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:Jesus christ. That is a pretty strong line up to get stuffed so easily. Did vale have a strong line up, or was it a bunch of kids who took us to peices ?

You sure Mullen was managing the team, and not Tommy Coakley ? :shock:

Or even Stevie Wonder :mrgreen:

retired

Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:17 am

What another disaster

Other than Smith and Sansara the reseverves were the 1st team players . A disgrace Money only does what RM tells him so must assume that RM wanted to look at what he has got nothing. Play the youth and the real reserves.

Twitters

Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:03 pm

Vale fan here.

Thought your two centre backs looked abysmal and never got to grips with our strikers. In saying that though Kevin Betsy gave our left back a torrid time and caused no end of problems. He really impressed me. Stefan Moore though, whoever came up with the idea of giving him a contract wants the sack! He was awful when he was on loan at Vale last season and hasn't got any better with you it seems!

North Staffs Saddler
UTS Regular

Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:47 pm

Twitters wrote:Vale fan here.

Thought your two centre backs looked abysmal and never got to grips with our strikers. In saying that though Kevin Betsy gave our left back a torrid time and caused no end of problems. He really impressed me. Stefan Moore though, whoever came up with the idea of giving him a contract wants the sack! He was awful when he was on loan at Vale last season and hasn't got any better with you it seems!

See match report re our centre backs, however I cannot believe you were watching Kevin Betsy, some of the team played with different numbers to those printed in the programme. However you are right about Moore, missing a penalty was about the only thing that he did all night :roll:

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:05 pm

Indeed - N'Dour, Sonko, McDermott, Betsy and Moore decided to swap numbers from those on the teamsheet.

N'Dour wore10 instead of 6
Sonko 8 instead of 7
McDermott 6 instead of 8
Betsy 7 instead of 9
Moore 9 instead of 10

Betsy DID play wide right in the second half but played down the middle with Moore in the first half.
Moore did miss the penalty - and yes, he was dreadful

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:26 pm

So it was Sonko who took their left back to the cleaners then, not Betsy?

cec_the_saddler

Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:36 am

I think I'm even more disappointed now about the Brown signing. Next season, for crying out loud...

Clearly JB does not want promotion. After such a promising season. what a waste........Thanks JB, I'm a big fan of yours but have let us down big time.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:09 pm

cec_the_saddler wrote:Clearly JB does not want promotion. After such a promising season. what a waste........Thanks JB, I'm a big fan of yours but have let us down big time.

I think you should start a thread about this, in case other posters feel the same way.

:twisted:

North Staffs Saddler
UTS Regular

Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:21 pm

cec_the_saddler wrote:I think I'm even more disappointed now about the Brown signing. Next season, for crying out loud...

Clearly JB does not want promotion. After such a promising season. what a waste........Thanks JB, I'm a big fan of yours but have let us down big time.

JB did not sign Brown or Moore or Betsy or N'Dire, Miracle Man did. JB only gave him the go-ahead :roll:

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:08 am

Thought your two centre backs looked abysmal and never got to grips with our strikers. In saying that though Kevin Betsy gave our left back a torrid time and caused no end of problems. He really impressed me.

Excellent news, he's found his level. Now lets leave him there.

North Staffs Saddler
UTS Regular

Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:54 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:

Thought your two centre backs looked abysmal and never got to grips with our strikers. In saying that though Kevin Betsy gave our left back a torrid time and caused no end of problems. He really impressed me.

Did you not read above MMF, he had got the wrong player. Agree with your comment though

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:12 am

North Staffs Saddler wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:

Did you not read above MMF, he had got the wrong player. Agree with your comment though

Yes, but it was too good an opportunity not to make the point. :D

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:16 am

Thought your two centre backs looked abysmal and never got to grips with our strikers. I

Oh no, There is 'no one better than Mannie Smith at the moment so we don't need to bring anyone else in'. I think this pretty much sums it up.

Return to 2007-08 Season