Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Southend United (A) League 1 Saturday 29/3/08

Reports and reaction from the 2007-08 season as Walsall finished 12th in League 1
BathSaddler
Site Addict

Re: Southend United (A) League 1 Saturday 29/3/08

Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:52 pm

This is about as damning as it gets. A Southend view...

http://www.longpier.blogspot.com

otherbournemouthsaddler
UTS Regular

Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:03 pm

BathSaddler wrote:This is about as damning as it gets. A Southend view...

Hey its not all bad!
According to his report their keeper made a save! Oh happy days!

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:12 pm

Mal wrote:If people can't see this has been a downward slide since Xmas and having the funds through other sources to do something about in in Jan and actually taking the cheap option with Little Brittain, Stefan Less and ..... oh yeah how could I forget Kevin Badsy, (Lee Holmes is excluded). Oh no suprise there then !

Now our 'miracle' man Money who spots a decent player 1 - 10 then great but any joker could do that.

Having had on paper one of best period in terms of clean sheets, results and actually winning a title which I was in tears at Swindon, the football is crud, the PR is crud, the ramblings from Money are crud and Bonsor makes a public statement in the E&S saying he will take 'his slice' of the sale money just to rub salt in the wound.

This season has proven once and for all to ALL fans that regardless of what money is bought into the club the playing side never changes. The money from Fox & Dann was NOT I repeat NOT in any financial budget bcause unless you can predict the future you would not know that money would come in thus it is a bonus, where does it go ???? suprise suprise

A season ticket holder spitting more and more blood this evening

Absolutely. But then the JB way is that we are an entertainment venue first and a football club second. Please note, I use the word 'entertainment' advisedly :wink: .

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:24 pm

BathSaddler wrote:
Mal wrote:If people can't see this has been a downward slide since Xmas and having the funds through other sources to do something about in in Jan and actually taking the cheap option with Little Brittain, Stefan Less and ..... oh yeah how could I forget Kevin Badsy, (Lee Holmes is excluded). Oh no suprise there then !

Now our 'miracle' man Money who spots a decent player 1 - 10 then great but any joker could do that.

Having had on paper one of best period in terms of clean sheets, results and actually winning a title which I was in tears at Swindon, the football is crud, the PR is crud, the ramblings from Money are crud and Bonsor makes a public statement in the E&S saying he will take 'his slice' of the sale money just to rub salt in the wound.

This season has proven once and for all to ALL fans that regardless of what money is bought into the club the playing side never changes. The money from Fox & Dann was NOT I repeat NOT in any financial budget bcause unless you can predict the future you would not know that money would come in thus it is a bonus, where does it go ???? suprise suprise

Absolutely. But then the JB way is that we are an entertainment venue first and a football club second. Please note, I use the word 'entertainment' advisedly :wink: .

I thought you'd gone for a pint Bath!! I have just been waiting in the pub for you to get the beer in. Typical when it's your round :D

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:28 pm

belgiansaddler wrote:
BathSaddler wrote:

I thought you'd gone for a pint Bath!! I have just been waiting in the pub for you to get the beer in. Typical when it's your round :D

Maybe next time, bs :) .
Last edited by BathSaddler on Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:39 pm

otherbournemouthsaddler wrote:
BathSaddler wrote:This is about as damning as it gets. A Southend view...

Hey its not all bad!
According to his report their keeper made a save! Oh happy days!

Is that the 36 year old 'keeper we'll have to replace within the next couple of years? :?

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:50 pm

Next season worries me, We'll need to bring in some good players in the summer.

we need a new midfield, some strikers and a defender.

Oh dear.

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:01 pm

latviancheese wrote:Next season worries me, We'll need to bring in some good players in the summer.

Oh dear.

We won't do that surely?

We'll make do with the usual end of July/early August scrap heap dredge signings that we end up with every year.

Same old same old

Surrey Saddler
Glitterati

Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:33 pm

Well, in a word....they played us off the park. The difference between us and them was just stark. Southend ran around, they made spaces for themselves, their movement was good, they were quicker on the ball than us, they closed us down. I doubt we strung three consecutive passes together in the whole game. All it was, on the rare occasions were got the ball was Mooney calling for it on his head... and as has been so familiar throughout this season an aimless punt upfield was the response. In all fairness the defence played well.. Gerard was good, so was Weston and Boertin. Roper was better than last week but only just. As for the mid field - we didn't have one.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:39 pm

Surrey Saddler wrote:Well, in a word....they played us off the park. The difference between us and them was just stark. Southend ran around, they made spaces for themselves, their movement was good, they were quicker on the ball than us, they closed us down. I doubt we strung three consecutive passes together in the whole game. All it was, on the rare occasions were got the ball was Mooney calling for it on his head... and as has been so familiar throughout this season an aimless punt upfield was the response. In all fairness the defence played well.. Gerard was good, so was Weston and Boertin. Roper was better than last week but only just. As for the mid field - we didn't have one.

Other than that we were OK then ? :D

BTW "they played us off the park" adds up to SIX words ! :?

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:44 pm

Logging on this morning, why am I not surprised that we got played off the park, that we lost, that we had next to no shots or possession?

Bored of it all now.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:50 pm

Exile wrote:Logging on this morning, why am I not surprised that we got played off the park, that we lost, that we had next to no shots or possession?

Bored of it all now.

You'll not be getting a season ticket for next year then Exile? :wink:

Seriously, it's depressing to see us give up so far before the end of the season. Maybe we wouldn't quite have had enough to get over the line and into the play-offs or enough to win them even if we did, but you've got to try. That's all we ask - give it 100% every week.

Atomic Rooster
UTS Veteran

Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:57 pm

latviancheese wrote:Next season worries me, We'll need to bring in some good players in the summer.

Oh dear.

PROBLEM they cost money

OldPenkSaddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:25 pm

It was woeful.

Apart from the last 10 minutes it was a team totally devoid of movement, energy, skill and ability. Couldn't put two passes together. It was just a matter of how many they scored. Luckily Ince made some good saves or else it could have been 4 or 5.

Its a long way to travel to watch that sort of crud.

Only good part of the day (excluding Willy Nilly's cobs :lol: ) was meeting SurreySaddler in the pub.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:32 pm

The match reports from both the media and people who have been to the game are so similar to those we repeatedly heard week after week about our away games under Merson. I know that in general, we've been very good away from home this season, but the fact that posts on here as well as match reports on the radio remind me of Paul Merson speaks volumes in terms of the manner in which our season seems to have collapsed before our eyes.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:48 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:The match reports from both the media and people who have been to the game are so similar to those we repeatedly heard week after week about our away games under Merson. I know that in general, we've been very good away from home this season, but the fact that posts on here as well as match reports on the radio remind me of Paul Merson speaks volumes in terms of the manner in which our season seems to have collapsed before our eyes.

Aye, I agree.

Collapse ay the word. :cry:

Surrey Saddler
Glitterati

Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:24 pm

OldPenkSaddler wrote:It was woeful.

Apart from the last 10 minutes it was a team totally devoid of movement, energy, skill and ability. Couldn't put two passes together. It was just a matter of how many they scored. Luckily Ince made some good saves or else it could have been 4 or 5.

Only good part of the day (excluding Willy Nilly's cobs :lol: ) was meeting SurreySaddler in the pub.

Thank you Old Penk, for those kind words. The only good part of my day was meeting you and the rest of the gang in the pub.......that's not quite true. On the way back my wife spotted a Curry's shop and insisted we stop and buy a new fridge freezer to replace our existing one. It was 2 minutes to six and as we approached the door a bloke emerged and informed us that they close at six. I didn't argue 8)

Graydon48
Glitterati

Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:59 pm

Please don't anyone say it no disgrace to lose to Southend.
It is a disgrace and a total humiliation the way we lost the worse I have seen us since Merson days..
Ps saw Doffer, is he crazy , just a Walsall top and no coat ?

moaning saddler
Glitterati

Location: Taking Back Control - Bescot Market or a Single Market? Decisions, decisions...

Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:14 pm

Worst away performance I've seen since.............last week.

Outclassed and outfought. It was a "miracle" that we managed to stagger in level at half-time. 3-0 would have been a fair reflection of the game at that stage.

In the second half, Southend quickly got their richly-deserved goal and we tried to move up a gear.....into first.

We had perhaps one half-chance all game, when Mooney cleverly flicked the ball into the path of Moore, whose fairly tepid shot was closed down easily.

Can't really complain too much about the defence - they were fairly solid, with Ince in excellent form. Oddly enough, it was Weston who looked well below par today.

Midfield was non-existent. Not one decent performance there. If I'm trying to be charitable, I suppose N'dour did OK. The major diappointment for me was Taundry - he added absolutely zero going forward and his set-pieces were truly appalling.

As for the attack - as has been all too obvious for some time, we just don't have one anymore.

Support was good for the first half. Second half, we spent most of the time watching in stunned silence.

What a criminal waste of an opportunity the last 6 games have been. :cry:

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:41 am

Graydon48 wrote:Please don't anyone say it no disgrace to lose to Southend.
It is a disgrace and a total humiliation the way we lost the worse I have seen us since Merson days..
Ps saw Doffer, is he crazy , just a Walsall top and no coat ?

A strange question. Of course Doffer is crazy, that's why we love him so much. :D

Kiansmom
Site Addict

Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:25 am

OldPenkSaddler wrote:It was woeful.

Glad someone finally mentioned the big man, He was immense today and as Kev said if it wasn't for him the scoreline could have been very different!!

I aint ready to throw the towel in yet, Walsall FC is in my blood and it aint easy to get it out. Of course I'm disappointed but this is WFC what did we all expect?

nice to see you again Surrey and Moll Flanders :mrgreen:

sid swifty
Glitterati

Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:48 am

sj wrote:Bathsaddler-------- But Graydon went the next day, that cant happen, can it? :wink:
We can only hope sj.... :D...having read these and other reports this season...its little wonder the club can only attract 4,500 + gates.....because although you always get a hardcore of fans....its the floating fans that make the difference...there are 2 or 3,000 floating fans out there somewhere (me and my 3 sons included)....but you need more than 1 off target shot in 90 mins (Leeds Utd away) or the terrible performance yesterday (according to this thread) to tempt people back....which is why unless DD changes to a more attack minded team....it doesn't matter how high in the league we get.....people wont pay to watch it....there are lots of things you can spend the same amount of money on and enjoy it more...unless of course you are a die-hard fan (which i used to be myself until Merson came along)...it really makes me smile when i see how some people worship the ground that DD walks on.....the "success at any price" brigade.....when in actual fact....DD...just by the way his teams play (and we were warned by the fans of his previous Aussie club) is probably stopping well over 1,000 fans attending regularly.

retired

Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:19 am

Please give Manny smith a chance he deserves it . As for Taundry he is not a midfielder he does not have the vision to create and cannot pass intelligently. He is more useful in defence where he is strong

In the reserves last year Bradley Daviesand young Davies were brilliant we has a midfield but RD does not want to play these kids together they are part of Mick Halsalls dream team not RM

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:10 pm

retired wrote:Please give Manny smith a chance he deserves it . As for Taundry he is not a midfielder he does not have the vision to create and cannot pass intelligently. He is more useful in defence where he is strong

In the reserves last year Bradley Daviesand young Davies were brilliant we has a midfield but RD does not want to play these kids together they are part of Mick Halsalls dream team not RM

Am i meant to take that post seriously?

Taundray cant pass? he's got one of the best right foots at the club. As for vision, that will come with experiance too.

cal wfc fan
UTS Regular

Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:28 pm

Whitti Steve wrote:
Bristol Fan wrote:So, four midfielders left out - and none of them even on the bench.

Wrack not travelled, dobson and sonko ill I think

Wrack's got that All-stars game today (Sunday), he obviously thought that was more important :roll:

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:01 pm

cal wfc fan wrote:
Whitti Steve wrote:
Bristol Fan wrote:So, four midfielders left out - and none of them even on the bench.

Wrack not travelled, dobson and sonko ill I think

Wrack's got that All-stars game today (Sunday), he obviously thought that was more important :roll:

He wasn;t playing in that - and I'm sure it wasn't his choice to be dropped :roll:

retired

Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:57 pm

Lets hope RM reads this site as will take note of how the fans feel

GIVE SMITH A CHANCE keep Taundry where he should be . he had progressed until he became a journeyman footballer who knows he may be a striker next. He is not a midfielder leave him where he plays best. Someone said he has the best right foot at the club get real we do not need a hoofer we need a striker and an intelligent midfield that have the vision or at least the experience of playing in their designated positions. If we are out of the play offs give the fringe players a go. Give Smith a chance . Let RM listen to the fans.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:22 am

retired wrote:Lets hope RM reads this site as will take note of how the fans feel

GIVE SMITH A CHANCE keep Taundry where he should be . he had progressed until he became a journeyman footballer who knows he may be a striker next. He is not a midfielder leave him where he plays best. Someone said he has the best right foot at the club get real we do not need a hoofer we need a striker and an intelligent midfield that have the vision or at least the experience of playing in their designated positions. If we are out of the play offs give the fringe players a go. Give Smith a chance . Let RM listen to the fans.

Since when does "the best righ foot" mean hoofer? What planet are you on?

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:14 am

*takes bait*

How many times a little earlier in the season did I see '...scored from an excellent cross/ball by Taundry.'
I forget which match it was (might have been Doncaster) once he came on and took set pieces off Wrack the delivery quality improved about a zillion percent.

On another point, I think Roper will look better once there is any sort of midfield in front of him, where the problem clearly lies. You'll probably find Mooney doing a bit more at that point also.

Mr D Doffer

Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:56 am

:( Offer here,

A VERY SAD DAY :(

The only thing that wasn"t embarressing was the score line, never have I watched such a one sided 1-0.
I remember their shot in the 1st half that rattled against the underside of the bar, poor old Clayton was absolutely shell shocked, GOT TO HIS FEET LIKE A BEMUSED AND BATTERED BOXER, head in the air, eyes rolling, "where is that round thing".
To be fair, he had to make far too many saves (coped ok ) and if they had more on target, his head would have been reeling.
He clearly has lost faith in the personnel infront of him and he doesn"t seem half as seure and confident has he was early on in the season

Also, remember Stefan Moore on his backside after a blatant, shocking dive, should have been booked.
What a credit he was to the No 9 shirt, absolute PANTS.
Poor old Ropes, again booked early but too slow for this division, even though effort is still there.

Clarke had Mooney in his pocket all game and why we constantly tried to feed Mooney with a high ball, is beyond me, I doubt if he won one ball in the Air.

Taundry looked ok but soul destroying as a fan to see him put two corners directly into touch, one from the right, one from the left, within a few minutes of each other.

Interesting that very few players turned round to applaud us at the end and not one made it any where near the box, I think Mooney just got past the half way line and made a gesture of good will from afar.

This team, on this performance would struggle in Div 2 and even 60 points seems along way off at present, truthfully.

We ( players & fans ) are totally de-void of confidence and definately have thrown the towel in,
Team spirit, the coldest it has ever been @ absolute zero AND NO DESIRE WHATSOEVER.

There were no plus"s to take from this game, just complete embarressment and what a way to get rid of £22.00 ( entrance fee ).

Guess what, I don"t think it"s going to get any better.

:oops: Offer

PreviousNext
Return to 2007-08 Season