Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Southend United (A) League 1 Saturday 29/3/08

Reports and reaction from the 2007-08 season as Walsall finished 12th in League 1

Re: Southend United (A) League 1 Saturday 29/3/08

Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:15 pm

DD only talks in miracles.... we need one now as this season is ending like it started!!

Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:18 pm

Roper yellow carded again!!

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:21 pm

Still, as results stand, Port Vale will be relegated today.

They were above us in August!

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:23 pm

The way we are playing away from home at the moment reminds me of that defeat at The Hawthorn's under Ray Graydon. No attacking intent whatsoever. No belief that we can achieve anything. We also had an old warhorse up front on his own that day [Brett Angell] :roll:

Times do not change.

sj
Site Addict

Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:27 pm

Bathsaddler-------- But Graydon went the next day, that cant happen, can it? :wink:

Ned_Kelly
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:28 pm

sj wrote:Bathsaddler-------- But Graydon went the next day, that cant happen, can it? :wink:

Doubt it Sj, don't think he's employed by a club at the moment :lol:

Four Oaks Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:29 pm

Holmes off, Diddy Dave on. :shock:

Can only be an injury, i'd have thought.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:31 pm

sj wrote:Bathsaddler-------- But Graydon went the next day, that cant happen, can it? :wink:

No, and I would not want it too. But that performance was one of the low points of being a Saddler. I'm not far off that feeling at the moment. Somehow the combination of JB's funding restrictions and DD's inert negativity has strangled the life out of the spirit of my team. I'm totally p***** o**.
Last edited by BathSaddler on Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:33 pm

Have we had a shot yet?

Four Oaks Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:34 pm

hullsaddler wrote:Have we had a shot yet?

One off-target, according to the Beeb.

sj
Site Addict

Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:34 pm

Bath --- I was at the Albion game on that day. Do you remember that Jorge and Byfield were both on the bench and neither were used. I think I'm correct in saying that.

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:37 pm

It reminds me of 1984 - and I don't mean the book.
A chairman 'ordering' a manager not to get promoted that season.
Of course it wouldn't happen nowadays. :roll:

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:39 pm

sj wrote:Bath --- I was at the Albion game on that day. Do you remember that Jorge and Byfield were both on the bench and neither were used. I think I'm correct in saying that.

I can't recall that, but I'm sure you're right. I remember Carlos Andre more though :roll: .

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:39 pm

sj wrote:Bath --- I was at the Albion game on that day. Do you remember that Jorge and Byfield were both on the bench and neither were used. I think I'm correct in saying that.

Think so.

Jason Roberts got their goal. There was a minute's silence before in the game in memory of Jeff Astle. Roberts had a T-shirt with Astle's piccie on and revealed it as his goal celebration. I remember it like it was yesterday.

Unfortunately. :(

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:41 pm

So we are crap up front again, I think we could have all predicted that before the game, so therefore, why didnt we sign a striker. mental, absolutely mental.

Goose277
Glitterati

Location: One morning I shot an elephant in my pyjamas. How he got in my pyjamas, I don't know

Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:52 pm

Wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:So we are crud up front again, I think we could have all predicted that before the game, so therefore, why didnt we sign a striker. mental, absolutely mental.

Just playing devils advocate but there's always the chance that we tried to sign a striker but couldn't for wharever reason.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:55 pm

Goose277 wrote:
Wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:So we are crud up front again, I think we could have all predicted that before the game, so therefore, why didnt we sign a striker. mental, absolutely mental.

Just playing devils advocate but there's always the chance that we tried to sign a striker but couldn't for wharever reason.

The 'Reason' is because we wont pay for one, and have zero ambition.

well, sorry, we do have some ambition. We want to get Cliff Richard down the Bonser suite.

futuresobright

Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:58 pm

But we did sign a striker.

One of the more intriguing things about this season has been the apparent ability of Richard Money to bring out the best in various waifs and strays. He plucked Lee Holmes out of a trough at Derby, where he was failing to make any real impression on the first team squad, despite their appalling season, and, notably, seems to have got Michael Ricketts playing to something like his potential.

The news, therefore, at the weekend that former Villa youngster Stefan Moore has joined the club on trial is, hopefully, another such signing.

Another classic swoop by Mr Touchy.

ToeJoe Jnr
UTS Regular

Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:00 pm

It will be interesting to hear what Mr Money has to say about his result bearing in mind we have not had a shot on goal and no possession according to WM!!

Its a miracle the team coach turned up?
They have a better economy so should be above us?
We don't deserve to shine Southends boots?

:lol:

Mal
UTS Veteran

Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:03 pm

What rubbish will he spout tonight, a miracle we lost, didn't score, we played well, blah blah blah blah

Dissappointed about how the season is going is an understatement

We HAVE given up, Dicky thinks he is above everyone and only he knows best, is that why he has only survived one season at each club he has managed ?????

Maybe I wil get slaughtered but the BS coming from his mouth has finally made me snap, why loan Brown and not play him ??? why not get a striker, why not get a central midfielder, why why why

A very upset, dissalussioned, and let down loyal supporter !

larryhaggler

Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:04 pm

Not even a shot on target. Leeds was enough for me, today sounds very similar. 2 points from possible 18 and very very few goals.
Jeffin disgrace. But what's that i hear ...... that wonderful businessman is getting 'his' money back. Yes, quite, our 'saviour'.
The sooner he goes the better.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:07 pm

I cannot understand why everyone is moaning. I know we had no shots or possession but apart from that we did extremely well from start to finish, especially when you consider the quality of the team and the size of the club we were up against. Really we should be grateful that they let us on the same pitch as them, we have no right to expect to come to places like this and have a shot. It was a great experience for the players playing in a stadium like this, and one which they hardly deserve because we are not in the same class as them :roll:

Still at least our Lord, Saviour and Master is getting his dosh back. Blood sucking leach

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:11 pm

Bonser OUT,

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:12 pm

I'll be interested to hear from those who have gone about the performance, but it did not sound great. I said we would lose 1-0 because it was all so predictable, but boy does it hurt tonight. The club have let the fans down badly. There is no disgrace in losing to Southend, but like Leeds only the week before, it is the manner of the defeat that is so depressing. Negative in the extreme, and no strength in depth whatsoever. I can only imagine the reaction of the loyal 200 when McDermott replaced Holmes at a moment when we were supposedly 'chasing the game'.

If you do not as a club want to do the best you can, then what is the point? We were, against all expectations, in a great position, but the owner obviously does not want us to even get to the play offs, with DD apparently doing his bidding. The way we have thrown in the towel this season is truly pathetic. I for one will not be going to a home game for the rest of the season. I'm not giving our excuse for an owner my money.

I'm off for pint :( .

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:14 pm

BathSaddler wrote:I'll be interested to hear from those who have gone about the performance, but it did not sound great. I said we would lose 1-0 because it was all so predictable, but boy does it hurt tonight. The club have let the fans down badly. There is no disgrace in losing to Southend, but like Leeds only the week before, it is the manner of the defeat that is so depressing. Negative in the extreme, and no strength in depth whatsoever. I can only imagine the reaction of the loyal 200 when McDermott replaced Holmes at a moment when we were supposedly 'chasing the game'.

If you do not as a club want to do the best you can, then what is the point? We were, against all expectations, in a great position, but the owner obviously does not want us to even get to the play offs, with DD apparently doing his bidding. The way we have thrown in the towel this season is truly pathetic. I for one will not be going to a home game for the rest of the season. I'm not giving our excuse for an owner my money.

I'm off for pint :( .

Think I'll join you, it's your round :D

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:14 pm

Never mind, we will finish where DD expected us to. Outside the play-offs, us and Orient were only there to gatecrash it- well for a time anyway.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:16 pm

I am just livid, disullusioned and HEARTBROKEN.

And I bet that is the view of anyone who follows Walsall Football Club, the rest must follow the Bonser suite F.C.

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:20 pm

Wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:I am just livid, disullusioned and HEARTBROKEN.

And I bet that is the view of anyone who follows Walsall Football Club, the rest must follow the Bonser suite F.C.

The worrying thing is looking forward to next season, what have we got???

We have got to totally revamp this side AGAIN. We certainly need a centre back, central midfielder, right midfielder, left midfielder, a two strikers. But I suppose we will get to see more from our fantastic youth.

Its not even funny anymore.

Mal
UTS Veteran

Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:28 pm

If people can't see this has been a downward slide since Xmas and having the funds through other sources to do something about in in Jan and actually taking the cheap option with Little Brittain, Stefan Less and ..... oh yeah how could I forget Kevin Badsy, (Lee Holmes is excluded). Oh no suprise there then !

Now our 'miracle' man Money who spots a decent player 1 - 10 then great but any joker could do that.

Having had on paper one of best period in terms of clean sheets, results and actually winning a title which I was in tears at Swindon, the football is crap, the PR is crap, the ramblings from Money are crap and Bonsor makes a public statement in the E&S saying he will take 'his slice' of the sale money just to rub salt in the wound.

This season has proven once and for all to ALL fans that regardless of what money is bought into the club the playing side never changes. The money from Fox & Dann was NOT I repeat NOT in any financial budget bcause unless you can predict the future you would not know that money would come in thus it is a bonus, where does it go ???? suprise suprise

A season ticket holder spitting more and more blood this evening

retired

Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:39 pm

I am so glad I go to the resereves matches . They have more fire in them. RM is an arrogant manager who is unable to motivate his team but I still think he is an excellent coach but not a manager.

He talks to his players like he owns them he will not renegotiate contracts till he is ready has he not learnt from last year . Pleyers will not wait they need to secure their futures

very dissapointed.

PreviousNext
Return to 2007-08 Season