Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Crewe Alexandra (H) League 1 Monday 24/3/08 .Kick Off 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2007-08 season as Walsall finished 12th in League 1
H

Re: Crewe Alexandra (H) League 1 Monday 24/3/08 .Kick Off 3pm

Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:39 pm

tinned wrote:
H wrote:
King Crimson wrote:
Duke wrote:save by the Donkey :D well done Ropes another disappointing result .

roll on Saturday

Game of two halves for the bloke. First half, I thought he'd be lucky to stay on the pitch. Second half he was much improved generally, and I was pleased he got the goal.

Mentions also for Weston (the crowd's choice for MoM), Gerrard (official MoM) and Dobson - all of whom I thought played particularly well.

Our lack of options up front is frightening. Is it three goals now in the last five games? That won't fire us into the play-offs.

We kept going until the end, so credit for that, but with expectations having been raised in January, where there was realistic talk of automatic promotion, a last gasp draw at home against fifth from bottom is hardly ticker-tape parade material.

Don t despair - Stefan Moore may come good yet :D :D :D

Do you reckon Moore will ever play for us again? I certainly hope not. Another (in the increasingly) long line of DD's "Why the hell did we sign him?" players.

I got stick for starting a thread previously criticising DD's signings.

The reason the Play offs are now finished is simple - Fox, Dann and Ricketts out. Moore, N'Dour and Betsy in :D :D

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:42 pm

The only players UI think worthy of mention tonight are Weston (MOTM), Gerrard and Nicholls. Nicholls made a huge difference when he came on.

WHY did DD not make any changes after that Leeds display? I disagree with KC - I thought dobson was pretty awful TBH, in fact everyone bar those mentioned at the beginning were. I would have taken roper off on 25 mins - I would have put big money on him being sent off - fair play to him for staying out of trouble for the second half.

first half was dire, second half was better - except the final third. Not sure where the next goal is coming from, but would pout money on it not being from Besty, Moore or Mooney. We desperately need someone who knows where the goal is.

Crewe were there for the taking, there were pitiful and you can see why they are in that position.

Oh well, there's always next week.

tinned
Site Addict

Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:46 pm

Whitti Steve wrote:The only players UI think worthy of mention tonight are Weston (MOTM), Gerrard and Nicholls. Nicholls made a huge difference when he came on.

WHY did DD not make any changes after that Leeds display? I disagree with KC - I thought dobson was pretty awful TBH, in fact everyone bar those mentioned at the beginning were. I would have taken roper off on 25 mins - I would have put big money on him being sent off - fair play to him for staying out of trouble for the second half.

first half was dire, second half was better - except the final third. Not sure where the next goal is coming from, but would pout money on it not being from Besty, Moore or Mooney. We desperately need someone who knows where the goal is.

Crewe were there for the taking, there were pitiful and you can see why they are in that position.

I can't make my mind up if I'd like to be the constant optimist like you or not. It must have it's advantages, like always thinking things will be okay soon, but sometimes I think it borders on "let's pretend these bad things aren't happening".

Can't decide :wink:

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:49 pm

Shocking performance, and supremely lucky to escape with a point. That isn't my biggest complaint about today, that is directed at Tommy Mooney.

Now, there has been a lot of criticism of the long ball game we played today. Our captain spent most of the first half bawling at the midfield for being useless, and also shouted for Roper and Weston to "just put the f**ker on my head". The players look scared to death of Mooney - he might inspire confidence for the youngsters in the squad, but I can't help but think he is totally counter-productive for the experienced heads. There are no goals in Mooney, he has lost his movement, and only occasionally looks useful in the build up play.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:51 pm

tinned wrote:
Whitti Steve wrote:The only players UI think worthy of mention tonight are Weston (MOTM), Gerrard and Nicholls. Nicholls made a huge difference when he came on.

I can't make my mind up if I'd like to be the constant optimist like you or not. It must have it's advantages, like always thinking things will be okay soon, but sometimes I think it borders on "let's pretend these bad things aren't happening".

Can't decide :wink:

Well - hope this helps (and aptly timed)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1loyjm4SOa0[/youtube]

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:54 pm

What another totally abject performance.

Toothless upfront is a mega-understatement - wheres this exciting strike force gone JB?

Get rid of Betsy, he's terrible, one of the worst loan signings ive ever ever seen, he doesn't try 1 iota, rarely does anything when he gets the ball and can't be arsed to go an win it.

Dobson was once again very poor, Ropes just about made it through 90 minutes and popped up with a goal that we didn't really deserve.

We really must start playing better at home, it's no good, we can't keep the ball, we're scared to shoot, we get outmuscled and out fought in midfield, not to mention being out thought tactically. Teams come to Bescot and show us how to pass the ball.

What does Richard Money blame this time? The ball boys?

We need a decent striker, a decent ball winning midfield cos Dobson is useless with a capital U, and a centre back because Ropes is a liability. But forget that, we've been completely sold down the river, this season can be written off now.

Thanks Jeff B, Our Saviour.

PT
Site Addict

Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:03 pm

Thought we were poor again today against a pretty poor side.

How he started with the same XI that started on Saturday is beyond me. Some of his loan signings are Merson-esque. Given that JB releasing money for players is like the preverbial rocking horse cack, to waste it on Moore, N'dour and Betsy borders on criminal. Add their three wages, fees etc together and I'm sure we could have got ourselves one player of absolute quality who could have made a difference.

Next week it has to be the kids. Taundry, Bradley, Smith and Nicholls all starting with Deeney and Ishy on the bench.

H

Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:05 pm

Would anyone else agree, that Taundry and Bradley should be the central midfield pairing?

As for a Striker, I like Nicholls. I think Mooney's contribution of backing into the oppositons Centre Back and hoping to win a free kick, is wearing a little thin.... :evil:

tinned
Site Addict

Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:08 pm

H wrote:Would anyone else agree, that Taundry and Bradley should be the central midfield pairing?

As for a Striker, I like Nicholls. I think Mooney's contribution of backing into the oppositons Centre Back and hoping to win a free kick, is wearing a little thin.... :evil:

Yow cor say anything against Mooney. He roars at the crowd when we're bored s****eless (sorry, I mean quiet). He's a hero :roll:

H

Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:10 pm

tinned wrote:
H wrote:Would anyone else agree, that Taundry and Bradley should be the central midfield pairing?

Yow cor say anything against Mooney. He roars at the crowd when we're bored s****eless (sorry, I mean quiet). He's a hero :roll:

Agreed. His ability to back into the oppositons Centre Back hoping to win a free kick AND the effort he puts in shouting at the crowd, are both deservered a new contract immediately :D

Four Oaks Saddler
UTS Veteran

Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:19 pm

I too couldn't believe that changes weren't made before today's game. For me, Wrack, Betsy and Mooney are / have been in need of a kick up the proverbial for some time now.

toffo
UTS Regular

Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:23 pm

125 mile round trip to watch that. No changes after saturday either. :?:
This long ball game is really starting to do my head in. Its okay if your centre forward wins most of them but their centre half was a giant and won nearly everything.

Dobson......... too slow........he tried hard but to play football you have to be able to run.
Eddie..... scared to take his man on, Money tried to give him a lift by putting his arm around him.....seems low on confidence.
Betty.......did more in first ten minutes than he did on saturday but frustratingly no end product.
Mooney .......couple of good efforts but no pace. desperately needs someone to play up front with him.
Wrack..... too slow and predictable.
Holmes.........one of his poorer games............also unable to take on his man.
Defence was Okay apart from the one lapse.Roper did what Roper does but seems to have lost all sense of timing..played like he had the wrong contact lenses in.

Crewe were no great shakes and were there for the taking but our constant long balls were useless.
Midfield had no creativity at all and hardly gave our frontmen a sniff.

Dave Gittins
Glitterati

Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:25 pm

Whitti Steve wrote:WHY did DD not make any changes after that Leeds display?.

Agree totally

Whitti Steve wrote:I disagree with KC - I thought dobson was pretty awful TBH

Sorry Steve, don't agree with that one, Dobson wasn't great but he put in a decent battling display.

Dave Gittins
Glitterati

Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:26 pm

H wrote:
tinned wrote:

Agreed. His ability to back into the oppositons Centre Back hoping to win a free kick AND the effort he puts in shouting at the crowd, are both deservered a new contract immediately :D

:D :D

Dave Gittins
Glitterati

Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:27 pm

H wrote:
tinned wrote:

:D :D

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:27 pm

Thing is we can moan about Mooney all we like, he's a 36 year old journey man striker, and he's our only senior striker - and we're playing him upfront more or less on his own booting balls up to his head. Discounting Betsy and Moore who aren't likely to be with us next season.

Personally I don't rate Deeney as a striker, he's a bustling kind of player, but doesn't seem to have a predators instinct. But at least he tries, which Betsy doesn't.

Our squad went from looking 'threadbare' at the start of Jan to being totally understrength in Feb.

I notice also that people are starting to suggest that the likes of N'Dour, Betsy and Moore are costing us a relatively large amount - a la Madds Timm, which will presumably be their excuse when we don't spend any money strengthening and balancing out the squad in June/July. Last time this happened, we alledgedly wasted around £16k a week on loan players, and that was just Fryatts fee. This time around we've got over a million to 'waste' on wages between jan and june [50k a week]

Dave Gittins
Glitterati

Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:29 pm

This is getting worrying Phil, I can find myself agreeing with you!

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:44 pm

tinned wrote:

Yeah - and it's an easy chant Mooney, Mooney, Mooney :mrgreen: At least he didn't do his "Bowing man" routine as much today. Mooney and the crowd is similar to the worshiping of Merse whenever we got a corner. I think he needs dropping.

Mike T.
UTS Veteran

Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:14 pm

Whitti Steve wrote:
tinned wrote:

Yeah - and it's an easy chant Mooney, Mooney, Mooney :mrgreen: At least he didn't do his "Bowing man" routine as much today. Mooney and the crowd is similar to the worshiping of Merse whenever we got a corner. I think he needs dropping.

I thought he should have been dropped after Saturday :!: I maybe missing something but where was Moore? Was he injured or just dropped completely out of the 16 players. If he didn't get picked today then I see little point in him hanging around because he isn't going to get a contract for next season.

PT
Site Addict

Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:30 pm

.....forgot to say, I thought them commandos at half time were great. Jumping off the FTG - it could catch on.

Graydon48
Glitterati

Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:31 pm

Seems a bit harsh to have a go at N'Dour I thought he did ok when he came on.
Having said that compared with the way the rest of the team played I'd have looked ok if I'd have been brought on.

Dave Gittins
Glitterati

Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:37 pm

Graydon48 wrote:Seems a bit harsh to have a go at N'Dour I thought he did ok when he came on.
Having said that compared with the way the rest of the team played I'd have looked ok if I'd have been brought on.

Personally, I wasn't impressed with N'Dour when he came on. I know he needs time to settle in but he'd better do it quick.

Ned_Kelly
UTS Legend

Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:42 pm

Pedagogue wrote:If anything, all this match highlighted was our pathetic (non-existent?) strike force. Last 6 games:-

v. Northampton - no goals
v. Brighton - centre-back, up for a setpiece
v. Forest - own goal
v. Leeds - no goals
v. Crewe - centre-back, up for a set piece
Total contribution from our strikers and midfield = NIL

Instead of rabbiting on about Roper, let's look at our strikers and midfield players - pathetic. Bradley and Taundry should return to strengthen the midfield but who is going to score? I cannot believe that there isn't a striker at a Premier League or Championship club who wouldn't fancy a run of first team football with us - with an outside chance of a Wembley appearance.

Get someone in urgently, please, Dicky!
(and they had better be an improvement No'Moore, Betty and Dour!)

Fancy you of all people making silly spelling mistakes. Never mind, i corrected them for you :D

Even used teachers favorite correction colour

H

Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:45 pm

Dave Gittins wrote:
Graydon48 wrote:Seems a bit harsh to have a go at N'Dour I thought he did ok when he came on.

Personally, I wasn't impressed with N'Dour when he came on. I know he needs time to settle in but he'd better do it quick.

We cannot judge him if we are honest. All we can go on is DD's opinon - he signed him and he has nt started a single match. And today with Dobson and Wrack in the "engine room" (with all the power of a lawnmower), he still could nt get a start. So if he is nt any better than either of them.......... :?:

moaning saddler
Glitterati

Location: Taking Back Control - Bescot Market or a Single Market? Decisions, decisions...

Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:46 pm

Thought we were worth a point today, which is pretty damning considering this was one of our "easier" games.

Pleased that Betsy was finally put out of his misery and substituted - even if it was exactly 100 minutes after it should have been done.

Dobson - The Crab - did what we all know he can do. Gets involved, breaks up play effectively, and then totally loses his bearings when attempting to pass to one of his own players.
Wrack - ineffective yet again (I'm sad to say).
Sonko - ineffective.
Boertein - fine until he crosses the half-way line.
Gerrard - effective.
Weston - not to his usual standard, but still our best player.
Roper - it has almost got to the point where it is unbearable to watch him when the opposition carry the ball towards our box. Fair play to him - he somehow managed to stay on the pitch and showed Mooney how to attack the ball in the Crewe box.
Holmes - not one of his better games, but was still our most dangerous forward until Nicholls came on.
Ince - not a lot to do really.
Mooney - one of his better recent games, but seemed to disappear for much of the 2nd half.
Deeney - as someone else said, "bustles" well and has great energy. Unfortunately, cannot trap a bag of cement and isn't really a striker of any description.
Nicholls - excellent contribution. Someone with pace who isn't afraid to take defenders on. Not afraid to shoot (even badly).
N'dour - dunno.

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:51 pm

It's a real shame Taundry has been suspended for the last three games. I'll not put up the white flag yet - let's see what he offers on his return.

Other than that, a rather ordinary result against a very ordinary side. Pretty grim.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:32 pm

Jorge14 wrote:Our captain spent most of the first half bawling at the midfield for being useless, and also shouted for Roper and Weston to "just put the f**ker on my head".

They did that at least twice, and he missed one and fired another straight at the 'keeper. He should maybe look a little closer to home if he wants to know where our goal drought has come from.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:14 pm

Mooney was alright today, although my opinion of him still hasnt improved. Missed a chance i could of scored with one leg and an eye missing.

Roper looked dodgy despite scoring. Gerrard wont be at walsall much longer and weston was good.

However, I think we should just tell Kevin Betsy to f**k off back to whereever he came from right now. He is just mark wright in disguise. Woeful, he only runs sideways not forwards.

Deeney came on and won alot, but just aint good enough. Nicholls was class when he came on i have to admit. N dour was decent but needs to be quicker and get used to the pace of england.

Imho, if we'd of had ricketts/(insert other decent striker here), we'd of won that game 3 or 4 nil.

Deano_Saddler
UTS Veteran

Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:05 pm

Ince - made a few good saves when he needed to, had no chance of stopping their goal.
Weston - same as he is every week.
Gerrard - same as Weston
Roper - was a bit shaky in the 1st half and was lucky not to be sent off but improved in the 2nd half and got us the goal.
Boertien - was ok but a bit sloppy at times.
Sonko - was he playing?
Wrack - was he playing?
Dobson - was ok in the 1st half but disappeared in the 2nd.
Holmes - made good runs and threatened at times. I think the only goal cross he did all game was for the goal.
Betsy - Rubbish
Mooney - Much better than recent games. Just needs a goal to get a bit of confidence back. Deeney helped him a lot when he came on and i think he should partner Mooney EVERY game.

N'Dour - seemed dodgy at times, hard to judge.
Deeney & Nicholls - changed the game around completely, we looked very likely when they came on & we created more chances.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:38 pm

Very, very poor again. Crewe were there for the taking, but we never looked likely to score and the last minute equalizer doesn't do much for us except paper over the cracks to a degree. Five men across midfield and yet that area of the pitch was like a black hole, with Crewe first to every ball in the centre of the park. Unforgivable. Half the team don't look interested any more and that's a massive contrast from the middle of the season when everyone was pulling for one another and we were far better than the sum of our parts. That was what gave us the edge over so many of our rivals - and without it we won't be winning many games between now and the end of the season. The relentless talking down of our chances by the management can't have helped with that. If the players know that they've achieved the primary goal for this season (survival) and that the manager makes it obvious that he thinks making the play-offs is out of the question then what incentive do they have to perform?

The only time we looked to have enough desire to win the game was the five minutes between bringing on Deeney and Nicholls and the Crewe goal. Maybe the two of them don't have the quality of the players that they replaced, but at least they give us some enthusiasm and that counts for something. If the senior pros haven't got the appetite for the game anymore and DD doesn't think we'll make the play-offs then surely we ought to play the players we expect to still be at the club next season for the remaining games. That means out with the likes of Wrack, Mooney, Roper and the loanees and in with Deeney, Nicholls, Smith, Taundry and any other kids who might have a part to play next year.

Also, we played late on Saturday and yet made no changes despite a poor result and less than 48 hours recovery time. Surely Bradley should have played on Saturday (and if he wasn't fit enough he shouldn't be going on international duty) and other changes should've been made for today.

Whatever the rights and wrongs of the financial side of things, the manager and his coaching staff can have absolutely no excuses for sending out such a woefully demotivated side for the last five games. We've barely won a 50-50 in the middle of the park since we played Swindon and that's absolutely nothing to do with the quality of players brought in or not - the players who are here have shown that they can compete in many games this season and a lot of them have let themselves down badly in the last three weeks - and DD has let them get away with it game in, game out. He's not as good a manager as he thinks he is for letting them get away with coasting when we were in the play-off hunt.

PreviousNext
Return to 2007-08 Season