Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Leeds United (A) League 1 Saturday 22/3/08 . kick off 17.20

Reports and reaction from the 2007-08 season as Walsall finished 12th in League 1
sid swifty
Glitterati

Re: Leeds United (A) League 1 Saturday 22/3/08 . kick off 17.20

Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:35 am

addo wrote:
sid swifty wrote:
Duke wrote:Thats not what i said Phil . a manager can be the greatest tactician in the world but if the players don't perform on the day your going to get beat thats what happened at Leeds. to many players just didn't turn up .

There are so many people on here Dave (you included) who nomatter what King dickie says or does cant do any wrong.....now i will admit that i cant stand the bloke personally.....but i would be prepared to go and watch his (our) teams play if they weren't so damned boring....like you Dave ive supported walsall all my life....so we should be singing from the same Hymn book....but i just refuse to keep paying good money out to see DD ruin it with his negative tactics....i would rather sit at home...and i know a lot of people like that....its not success or the lack of it Dave...it boring football...and i am sick of people stating the bloody obvious by saying..."well would you like paul merson back?"...no i wouldn't....but there just has to be a middle way....i stopped going last season...even though i knew i would miss out on them picking the trophy up...i just couldn't stand those performances where even the away fans were saying..."how the hell walsall are above us in the league i will never know".....I started going again at the start of this season....With the "we will play a lot better in this league with better footballing sides" ringing in my ears from the likes of you and Neil Ravenscroft....well its not...DD only knows one way...and thats bore the opposition (and fans) to death....then when they've lost the will to live...hit em on the break.....Rant over.

Tell me Sid - which of our previous successful managers played football any differently ?

Chris Nicholl ? Surely not - defensive in the extreme.

Ray Graydon ? Exactly the same principle. Be strong through the spine with one holding midfielder & attack via the wings.

I can harp back to the days of Buckley and some of the most entertaining football I have ever seen, but -
let's face it - it didn't win us anything .
We won jack through over 25 seasons.

We have still managed almost 20 clean sheets this season.
Let's face it - to be successful you have firstly be hard to beat - which in the main I think we are.

Your dead right addo...must be me....is it too late te get a season ticket for the rest of the season..... :shock: :roll:

Ned_Kelly
UTS Legend

Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:46 am

Plastic Hawk wrote:
Ned_Kelly wrote:
sid swifty wrote:
Duke wrote:Thats not what i said Phil . a manager can be the greatest tactician in the world but if the players don't perform on the day your going to get beat thats what happened at Leeds. to many players just didn't turn up .

There are so many people on here Dave (you included) who nomatter what King dickie says or does cant do any wrong.....now i will admit that i cant stand the bloke personally.....but i would be prepared to go and watch his (our) teams play if they weren't so damned boring....like you Dave ive supported walsall all my life....so we should be singing from the same Hymn book....but i just refuse to keep paying good money out to see DD ruin it with his negative tactics....i would rather sit at home...and i know a lot of people like that....its not success or the lack of it Dave...it boring football...and i am sick of people stating the bloody obvious by saying..."well would you like paul merson back?"...no i wouldn't....but there just has to be a middle way....i stopped going last season...even though i knew i would miss out on them picking the trophy up...i just couldn't stand those performances where even the away fans were saying..."how the hell walsall are above us in the league i will never know".....I started going again at the start of this season....With the "we will play a lot better in this league with better footballing sides" ringing in my ears from the likes of you and Neil Ravenscroft....well its not...DD only knows one way...and thats bore the opposition (and fans) to death....then when they've lost the will to live...hit em on the break.....Rant over.

Sounds about right Sid, i think you'll find the main difference yesterday was the fans, as usual we were very quiet, unlike the Leeds fans who hardly stopped all game and drove their team to victory. I think that kind of home atmosphere is just what DD has been asking for, it made all the difference yesterday

:? :? :?

Was I at a different ground to you then? I thought we made all of the noise up until their second goal, while they were very quiet except for one rendition of Marching on Together just before half time and a few odds and ends in the last ten minutes.

Check this out....... http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sarcasm

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:55 am

Ned_Kelly wrote:
Plastic Hawk wrote:
Ned_Kelly wrote:
sid swifty wrote:

Sounds about right Sid, i think you'll find the main difference yesterday was the fans, as usual we were very quiet, unlike the Leeds fans who hardly stopped all game and drove their team to victory. I think that kind of home atmosphere is just what DD has been asking for, it made all the difference yesterday

:? :? :?

Was I at a different ground to you then? I thought we made all of the noise up until their second goal, while they were very quiet except for one rendition of Marching on Together just before half time and a few odds and ends in the last ten minutes.

Check this out....... http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sarcasm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Bit early in the day for me to work out things like that!! :wink:

addo
UTS Veteran

Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:56 am

sid swifty wrote:
addo wrote:
sid swifty wrote:

Tell me Sid - which of our previous successful managers played football any differently ?

Ray Graydon ? Exactly the same principle. Be strong through the spine with one holding midfielder & attack via the wings.

I can harp back to the days of Buckley and some of the most entertaining football I have ever seen, but -

Let's face it - to be successful you have firstly be hard to beat - which in the main I think we are.

Your dead right addo...must be me....is it too late te get a season ticket for the rest of the season..... :shock: :roll:

So then -- are you saying that you have a problem with DD's tactics ? Or generally tactics that are proven to be effective though --admittedly - not the most entertaining?

I'd also be interested to know which real life team you believe play with these tactics

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:58 am

Pretty woeful performance from the Saddlers. One attempt on goal in 90 minutes, playing one up front, defensive errors, looking like a pub team.

And all this from pushing for automatic promotion in January.

Thanks Jeff B, our saviour.

Ned_Kelly
UTS Legend

Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:02 pm

Plastic Hawk wrote:
Bit early in the day for me to work out things like that!! :wink:

Don't worry won't be long before everyone catches up, inc DD "can you here us dickie dosh" :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

sid swifty
Glitterati

Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:32 pm

addo wrote:
sid swifty wrote:
addo wrote:
sid swifty wrote:

So then -- are you saying that you have a problem with DD's tactics ? Or generally tactics that are proven to be effective though --admittedly - not the most entertaining?

I'd also be interested to know which real life team you believe play with these tactics

"EFFECTIVE" not what i'm looking for...effective with a bit of flair and the odd bit of excitement....thats what i'm looking for.

moaning saddler
Glitterati

Location: Taking Back Control - Bescot Market or a Single Market? Decisions, decisions...

Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:24 pm

Well, as "Match" threads go, this one has been exceptionally BORING - the Dicky Dosh of all Match threads. :(

Pedro
UTS Legend

Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:49 pm

Shocking that all I have to say

OldPenkSaddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:34 pm

Watched the game from sunnier climes with a beer in my hand before my late flight home.Took a lot of stick from some of the Dingles that were also on the plane as I travelled back in my red Banks's top. :oops:

Belge hit the nail on the head, it was men against boys.

We have no class players at all in the side that can compete at the level that Leeds are capable of. Promotion would definitely be a season too early for us although I strongly agree with Metfan that we lost our chance to strengthen in the January transfer window when the dream was still on.

Things have become quite clear over the past few weeks. We can't play the 4-5-1 (or was it 4-3-3?) effectively against quality players. Wrack and Dobson were made to look stupid yesterday by a decent player like Prutton. Their lack of pace and willingness to support the one front man meant we were never likely to score. DD has brought in some inferior players like Moore and Betsy and the invisible N'Dour when it would have been better to stick with Nicholls, Deeney and Bradley (when fit) if he was aware that JB would not be releasing funds for better quality players. I'd rather they were played and given an extended run in readiness for next season.

Both Roper's and Mooney's legs have gone and they do not warrant a place in the starting line up. If we don't beat Crewe tomorrow it is essential we give the likes of Smith, Bradley, Deeney and Nicholls a run in the side for the last few games.

The spine of the team looks very weak now and we desperately need another central defender,quality central midfielder and a goalscorer to push for promotion next year. Let's hope JB doesn't want all of the transfer fee money and is prepared to release some of it to acquire quality players.

I predict we'll beat Crewe 7-0 tomorrow with a Deeney hat-trick. Up The Saddlers.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:37 pm

OldPenkSaddler wrote:Watched the game from sunnier climes with a beer in my hand before my late flight home.

I predict we'll beat Crewe 7-0 tomorrow with a Deeney hat-trick. Up The Saddlers.

Stopped off in the 'duty-free', as well, I see, OPS :mrgreen:

beckford09

Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:06 pm

ST Holder in the North stand (opposite end to you).

We played well yesterday, better than we have for most games this season. Thought we controlled possession, created good chances and should have won by more. Your players didn't seem interested - unwilling to fight and played long ball alot.

No doubt you'll regard Mooney's miss, it was at the far end so you'll know better than me quite how bad it was, as a major turning point in the game. It was probably the only time you penetrated our questionable defense.

Leaving your place last December, one or two of your fans were questioning beckford and no doubt there are posts on here. He's been out of form and not scoring since Christmas But he did show why he's the best player in the division.

bournemouthsaddler wrote:would really like to win this one. Always hated Leeds ever since they wrecked Bournemouth on that bank holiday weekend.

we made £1 million worth of improvements.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:27 am

Wont be the first time he's done it. But beckford made roper look a complete Tard.

Was Wrack playing?

:?

Winston Smith
UTS Regular

Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:09 am

[quote="OldPenkSaddler"]

DD has brought in some inferior players like Moore and Betsy (quote]

That has to be the understatement of the season.

tinned
Site Addict

Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:43 am

Whitti Steve wrote:
Wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:What? Your telling me we didn't invest when we were in a strong position, oh.....and we didn't re-invest when we lost 3 KEY players? And people are surprised by our end of season slump, I along with many others forecast this. So so so disappointing and disheartening. The club showed its ambition for this season on January 31st.

Change the record Daz - i'ts getting boring, time has moved on.

So an old truth is no longer a truth then? :?

It may not be palatable but it's still true.

Barring a major revival the play off dream looks an increasingly long way off. Where are the goals coming from? Where is the drive in midfield? Where is the strength in defence?

Where are your cocky remarks about not missing Dann & Fox now MMF?

I can't see for the life of me why the hell DD has brought in Moore & Betsy. Just two more attacking signings that DD has totally screwed up (to add to the ever growing list).

Sadders
UTS Legend

Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:18 pm

sid swifty wrote:

I can see your point...im not sure about others - but i go to watch walsall football club because i love them...winning and playing beautiful attractive football...is an add on that is seen as a bonus...the aim off the game is winning...are you sure your loyalties lie in the correct place...not to be patronising or rude just giving my opinon.

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:57 pm

Are you two related....is there any way we can persuade you to use sentences...instead of randomnly inserting... every few words...like you're having....a brainstorm...because...it's doing my head in...trying to read it

sid swifty
Glitterati

Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:02 am

Exile wrote:Are you two related....is there any way we can persuade you to use sentences...instead of randomnly inserting... every few words...like you're having....a brainstorm...because...it's doing my head in...trying to read it

.....................sorry.................... :lol:

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:53 pm

beckford09 wrote:ST Holder in the North stand (opposite end to you).

We played well yesterday, better than we have for most games this season. Thought we controlled possession, created good chances and should have won by more. Your players didn't seem interested - unwilling to fight and played long ball alot.

No doubt you'll regard Mooney's miss, it was at the far end so you'll know better than me quite how bad it was, as a major turning point in the game. It was probably the only time you penetrated our questionable defense.

Leaving your place last December, one or two of your fans were questioning beckford and no doubt there are posts on here. He's been out of form and not scoring since Christmas But he did show why he's the best player in the division.

bournemouthsaddler wrote:would really like to win this one. Always hated Leeds ever since they wrecked Bournemouth on that bank holiday weekend.

we made £1 million worth of improvements.

Maynard is easily as good as Beckford. Hes not that special, he was just being marked by beckford.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:50 pm

tinned wrote:
Whitti Steve wrote:
Wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:What? Your telling me we didn't invest when we were in a strong position, oh.....and we didn't re-invest when we lost 3 KEY players? And people are surprised by our end of season slump, I along with many others forecast this. So so so disappointing and disheartening. The club showed its ambition for this season on January 31st.

Change the record Daz - i'ts getting boring, time has moved on.

So an old truth is no longer a truth then? :?

It may not be palatable but it's still true.

Barring a major revival the play off dream looks an increasingly long way off. Where are the goals coming from? Where is the drive in midfield? Where is the strength in defence?

Where are your cocky remarks about not missing Dann & Fox now MMF?

Sorry for very late reply, they are here.

We didn't miss Dann and Fox against Carlisle, we missed Ricketts to take the chances that would have won the game. We didn't miss Fox against Swindon, our best performance of the season, 3-0, we didn't miss Dann and Fox at Forest. We didn't even miss them at Leeds, we missed a striker to score goals. We missed a midfield to get hold of the ball. Funny, how yet again Roper gets mentioned on this thread but it was Gerrard who was made to look like a "donkey" for the one goal and Dobson Mr distribution who's pathetic attempt at a pass (which followed his hoofing all game) that cost us, that and lazy Mooney's one golden opportunity to put us level when we were on top. Beckford was skinning everyone because he has pace, exactly the player that makes a difference up front. Dann isn't pace so wouldn't have fared much better.

We have one of those players with pace in Ishmel but he's not given the chance. Again, DD's choice to bring in Moore, Betsy, etc etc. We didn't need them as cover we had Nicholls, Deeney and Ishmel as cover who have proven that if used sparingly they are good enough.

Moore + Betsy + N'Dour + Brown = 1 very good striker that would have made the difference and have us sitting in a play off place still. Constantine went to Oldham. Akinfenwa went to Northampton, etc etc. Those of us who attend most games will tell you we've been crying out for a striker since Ricketts left. That was the difference and has been the one thing that has cost us because Mooney goals' were always going to dry up like they always do when he's got the fans on side before Xmas then gives up when he's bulletproof. I was telling you that months ago. Have a look through the threads.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:14 pm

Are you going to win your bet about Mooney's goals then MMF? (It's so long since he last scored that I've forgotten how many he's actually on so far.) :wink:

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:07 am

Plastic Hawk wrote:Are you going to win your bet about Mooney's goals then MMF? (It's so long since he last scored that I've forgotten how many he's actually on so far.) :wink:

That's why I said 15 goals and not 20. He should have easily reached 15 by now. He had enough easy chances against Northampton to get to that figure.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:21 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:
Plastic Hawk wrote:Are you going to win your bet about Mooney's goals then MMF? (It's so long since he last scored that I've forgotten how many he's actually on so far.) :wink:

That's why I said 15 goals and not 20. He should have easily reached 15 by now. He had enough easy chances against Northampton to get to that figure.

I can't actually remember whether you had him to get to 15 or not to get them!! :oops: :oops:

He's still on 10 isn't he? Although as you say, he's definitely had the chances to get to 15, but it looks very unlikely that he will do now.
Last edited by Plastic Hawk on Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:28 am

Plastic Hawk wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:

I can't actually remember whether you had him to get to 15 or not!! :oops: :oops:

He's still on 10 isn't he? Although as you say, he's definitely had the chances to get to 15, but it looks very unlikely that he will do now.

Especially with his sulky head on.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:58 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
Plastic Hawk wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:

I can't actually remember whether you had him to get to 15 or not!! :oops: :oops:

Especially with his sulky head on.

Even when presented with a free hit from the spot? :wink:

beckford09

Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:39 am

Burnside wrote:Second half we gave as good as we got and the i think performances agaist run of the mill league one sides will see us in to the play offs.

oops

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:54 pm

Do my eyes deceive me but is that an exceptionally thin naked person on the bottom left of your avatar beckford?

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:22 pm

Cully wrote:Do my eyes deceive me but is that an exceptionally thin naked person on the bottom left of your avatar beckford?

:shock:

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:47 pm

King Crimson wrote:
Cully wrote:Do my eyes deceive me but is that an exceptionally thin naked person on the bottom left of your avatar beckford?

:shock:

Bet you thought you'd clinched the hatrick over the last two weeks. When are you going to Butlins?

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:05 am

Cully wrote:When are you going to Butlins?

Why? Are you a 'welcomer' Red Coat?

PreviousNext
Return to 2007-08 Season