Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Leeds United (A) League 1 Saturday 22/3/08 . kick off 17.20

Reports and reaction from the 2007-08 season as Walsall finished 12th in League 1
Codsall Saddler
UTS Regular

Re: Leeds United (A) League 1 Saturday 22/3/08 . kick off 17.20

Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:08 pm

Looks like the bubble has well and truly burst. We seemed unable to keep control of the ball and find one of our own players. Second goal summed that up. We seemed overawed by it all and looked anything but a play-off team. They were better than us all over the park.

Pedestrian in midfield and toothless up front.

Monday is an absolutely must win game.

TofDover
UTS Regular

Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:20 pm

Too many old legs, Roper to slow too basic to bad he is in the team, good servant in the past but not up to speed .Mooney should have scored did little else appart from running around,good wing work when we tried ,poor final ball even from the free kicks we had . and gentlemen that is the first time this year I have been able to see Walsall not to imprest with this game I wish I could have seen some of their good ones but I still think we will make the play offs, Leeds attacking pace was excelent

sid swifty
Glitterati

Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:23 pm

Watched the match...and was very disappointed to say the least...i would have rather lost 6-0 and had a go rather than do what DD is good at.....playing bland defensive football hoping for a sneak goal.....just like last season really....not even one shot on target in 90 mins.....no wonder they are struggling to get 5,000 gates....i wont be going aqgain for a while....nothing to do with the results....everything to do with DDs tactics.

futuresobright

Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:37 pm

Bath Saddler wrote -DD during the WM interview certainly seems to play us down as a club - comparing us to the likes of Leyton Orient - I mean how long has it been since they were in the Championship? I also detest this plucky/punching above our weight stuff - which in terms of our history is not the case at all. It's probably self-serving and in his own interests to say it ["have'nt I done a great job" etc.] but its wearing pretty thin with me.

Spot on. Over the last TEN years our average position in the league has been higher than it was before kick off today. The truth is that Mr Touchy is taking us backwards. He continues to sell or ignore the talent he inherited prefering instead his own deadbeats. It will be interesting to hear the positive spin the happy clappers put on his latest signings - Ndau, Betsy, Moore and Holmes. I mean Holmes is the best of the bunch but he is so slow and easily shrugged off the ball that it is clear he will continue to drop through the leagues for a while yet. As for Dobson and Mooney...I think the time has come on Monday to let Mr Touchy be in no doubt that he has outstayed his welcome.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:42 pm

futuresobright wrote:The truth is that Mr Touchy is taking us backwards. He continues to sell or ignore the talent he inherited prefering instead his own deadbeats. It will be interesting to hear the positive spin the happy clappers put on his latest signings - N'dour, Betsy, Moore and Holmes. I mean Holmes is the best of the bunch but he is so slow and easily shrugged off the ball that it is clear he will continue to drop through the leagues for a while yet. As for Dobson and Mooney...I think the time has come on Monday to let Mr Touchy be in no doubt that he has outstayed his welcome.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

moaning saddler
Glitterati

Location: Taking Back Control - Bescot Market or a Single Market? Decisions, decisions...

Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:47 pm

Just back from the game and relaxing in our luxury waterfront apartment (Copyright Cheesebag).

Thought we were well and truly found out today. Leeds were nothing like the threat that Forest had in attack, but simply had to wait until the inevitable defensive error(s) from the once impregnable Saddlers.

How Betsy was allowed to stay on the pitch for the whole game is baffling. Truly an inept, gutless performance.

Dobson did what Dobson does. Breaks up play effectively, then seems to become blind to anything going on around him. The gift pass that he teed up for Leeds winning goal was an accident waiting to happen.

Mooney - too slow and wasted the best chance of the game. To be fair to him, the support for him was generally woeful.

Wrack - great servant to the club but the last few weeks seem to have been a step too far for him. The way he weakly gave away possession to end what had been the Saddlers best spell of the game seemed to sum up the exhaustion of his Walsall career perfectly.

Roper - what you see is what you get. Beckford is a class act, and eats journeymen defenders (which is what Roper has become) for breakfast.

Sonko - dfficult to comment since I did not see much of him, particularly in an attacking sense.

Gerrard, Ince, Weston - the usual decent performances that we have come to expect.

Holmes - our sole attacking threat. Our only period of attacking intent coincided with Holmes stepping up a couple of gears in the second half.

Boertin - OK but does not look confident venturing over the half way line.

Very disappointed tonight to have been so comprehensively outfought.The wheels look to be coming off, and it isn't difficult to pinpoint the cause.

Fans were generally excellent today, and the stewards were a cut above the Forest lot. Although why they allowed the Leeds Creche to sit so close to the away fans was a mystery.

The result apart, it was a real pleasure to go to Elland Road today. A real football city, even if they have an unhealthy obsession with the 15 point "loss".
Last edited by moaning saddler on Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:49 pm

That was a horror show, an unmitigated disaster.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:10 pm

I again point out, that we lost 3 KEY players, and never replaced them, as Cheesebag has said. And thats the reason beyond doubt for our slump. We haven't got the craft or class to climb back up into those positions now. we need 3 players NOW.

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:21 pm

My first game since Oldham and that was very disappointing. Thought we were poor and absolutely anonymous in the first half, with Leeds marginally better than us. We were better in second half but that wouldn't have been hard.Apart from that brief spell around Mooney's dreadful miss, when we did apply some pressure, I thought we didnt really look like scoring.
Can't say I was impressed with anyone. Betsy was poor. We seemed incapable of producing a final telling creative ball even when we had some possession in the final third of the pitch.
Thought the support from the fans was excellent throughout the game. Couldn't believe how quiet the Leeds fans were though. God knows what there are like when they are losing.

Travelling back to the city centre on the bus I heard a Leeds fan say. ''I must admit I was expecting more from Walsall than that'' and I'm afraid I agree with him.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:24 pm

Not one shot on target. Not good enough. Leeds were by far the better team. Kilkenny, Prutton, Beckford, Freedman etc. were a class above.

Monday is vitally important.

Atomic Rooster
UTS Veteran

Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:58 pm

I won't say monday is a must win game but somehow we have got to stay within 3 points of the play offs with 4 games to go with 3 at home we can go for it then

Burnside
UTS Regular

Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:15 pm

Hmmm would have agreed with some of the above before i got home and just rewatched, and fast forwarded elements of the game.

Last time we played Leeds we had Fox - Quality, Dann - Quality, Sweeney - Quality, plus Mooney and Bradley at the top of their games. Add to that Good form of Wrack and Deeney at that time.

In my opinion, only Gerrard and Weston are at the same level now, but we have replaced Sweeney with equal quality but all in all through departures and form we are worse off.

Thats football. The saving grace is that on paper, we only have two challengers in tranmere and southend. and the majority of games are at home.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:28 pm

futuresobright wrote:Bath Saddler wrote -DD during the WM interview certainly seems to play us down as a club - comparing us to the likes of Leyton Orient - I mean how long has it been since they were in the Championship? I also detest this plucky/punching above our weight stuff - which in terms of our history is not the case at all. It's probably self-serving and in his own interests to say it ["have'nt I done a great job" etc.] but its wearing pretty thin with me.

Spot on. Over the last TEN years our average position in the league has been higher than it was before kick off today. The truth is that Mr Touchy is taking us backwards. He continues to sell or ignore the talent he inherited prefering instead his own deadbeats. It will be interesting to hear the positive spin the happy clappers put on his latest signings - Ndau, Betsy, Moore and Holmes. I mean Holmes is the best of the bunch but he is so slow and easily shrugged off the ball that it is clear he will continue to drop through the leagues for a while yet. As for Dobson and Mooney...I think the time has come on Monday to let Mr Touchy be in no doubt that he has outstayed his welcome.

Sometimes you just don't know whether to laugh or cry :? .
Last edited by BathSaddler on Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:44 pm

Jesus, here's a chance to show armchair divs about Division 3.
"Well Leeds will get back up there, they're a big club, should turn Walsall over, lower league club etc, etc..."
Yes, thanks for playing exactly to stereotype there.
We made a load of big time charlies look like world-beaters - remember Cheltenham are too much for them!
Yes they played well and deserved to win, but if followed the demeanour shown tonight, I might as well get in my box now and put the lid on "because that's where I'll be at the end of the day."

Ince: Sound

Weston: Sound
Boertien: Limited
Gerrard: Outplayed
Roper: Poor - August 22nd in a normal season under Merson, four yellow cards today possibly.

Holmes: Mixed - superb free kick, but not one good corner as I recall
Sonko: Limited
Dobson: Limited
Wrack: Poor - I only realised today how much Darren Wrack sounds like "square and back"

Betsey: Poor - is he Tony Bedeau in disguise?
Mooney: Poor

Bradley: Average - but will keep Wrack out
Moore: Anonymous

Yet again, it's in midfield where the game is won. Look at Leeds midfield compared to ours, and they have Douglas coming back.
Ultimately, we have a chance to put it all behind us quickly, but three points are there for the taking and we look jaded.
Can Arsene Money do a bit squad rotation and pull off a win??

Burnside
UTS Regular

Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:01 pm

Second half we gave as good as we got and the i think performances agaist run of the mill league one sides will see us in to the play offs.

Agree - Betsy, has a bit of the Tony Bedau about him. Dobson and Roper are doing their best, truth is they aren't top 6 League One Players.

Still think Wrack offers something, as can Sonko and Boertin.

Ince, Gerrard, Weston, Bradley, Holmes and Mooney i believe are the aces in the pack and we need them all on top form.

Nicholls and Deeney let nobody down just after the new year and gave us pace, energy, movement and created chances (missed most but .... did well). We seemed to lack energy and ideas today throw them in i say.

Like to think that DD, PT and JB will pull rabbits out of hats in the next week or so and deliver 2 or 3 players that lift us all and get us playing dynamic, energetic football again.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:30 pm

we were absolutely outclassed. men against boys

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:56 am

King Crimson wrote:Not one shot on target. Not good enough. Leeds were by far the better team. Kilkenny, Prutton, Beckford, Freedman etc. were a class above.

not a lot more can be said KC , very disappointing performance .
there was a little spell in the second half when i thought we might nick a goal which lead to Mooney missing a sitter , other than that we were simply out classed .

sid swifty
Glitterati

Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:06 am

Duke wrote:
King Crimson wrote:Not one shot on target. Not good enough. Leeds were by far the better team. Kilkenny, Prutton, Beckford, Freedman etc. were a class above.

there was a little spell in the second half when i thought we might nick a goal which lead to Mooney missing a sitter , other than that we were simply out classed .

Not one shot on target in 90 mins Dave...thats not out classed mate...thats DDs tactics....too scared to attack in case we let a goal in....it was boring last season but that approach worked against lesser teams...it worked aginst him yesterday....its no good changimg his tactics with 5 mins to go and being 2 goals down....thats why the crowds are not improving...i was sitting with 6 walsall fans watching yesterday,,,they all said (me included) they probably wouldn't even go to the play-off final if we got their if he was going to set his stall out like that....cant see me going again until DD goes.

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:34 am

sid swifty wrote:
Duke wrote:

Not one shot on target in 90 mins Dave...thats not out classed mate...thats DDs tactics....too scared to attack in case we let a goal in....it was boring last season but that approach worked against lesser teams...it worked aginst him yesterday....its no good changimg his tactics with 5 mins to go and being 2 goals down....thats why the crowds are not improving...i was sitting with 6 walsall fans watching yesterday,,,they all said (me included) they probably wouldn't even go to the play-off final if we got their if he was going to set his stall out like that....cant see me going again until DD goes.

no matter what tactics the manager selects if the players don't perform your on a loser . that happened yesterday .
football is all ifs. if Mooney hadn't missed that sitter who knows .
to be honest i'm baffled why Bradley didn't start bearing in mind he'll be missing for mondays game.

sid swifty
Glitterati

Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:38 am

Duke wrote:
sid swifty wrote:
Duke wrote:

no matter what tactics the manager selects if the players don't perform your on a loser . that happened yesterday .
football is all ifs. if Mooney hadn't missed that sitter who knows .
to be honest i'm baffled why Bradley didn't start bearing in mind he'll be missing for mondays game.

well we can get rid of the manager and all the coaching staff then Dave if thats the case.....thats a new angle...Tactics dont matter... :roll:

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:53 am

Thats not what i said Phil . a manager can be the greatest tactician in the world but if the players don't perform on the day your going to get beat thats what happened at Leeds. to many players just didn't turn up .

sid swifty
Glitterati

Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:19 am

Duke wrote:Thats not what i said Phil . a manager can be the greatest tactician in the world but if the players don't perform on the day your going to get beat thats what happened at Leeds. to many players just didn't turn up .

There are so many people on here Dave (you included) who nomatter what King dickie says or does cant do any wrong.....now i will admit that i cant stand the bloke personally.....but i would be prepared to go and watch his (our) teams play if they weren't so damned boring....like you Dave ive supported walsall all my life....so we should be singing from the same Hymn book....but i just refuse to keep paying good money out to see DD ruin it with his negative tactics....i would rather sit at home...and i know a lot of people like that....its not success or the lack of it Dave...it boring football...and i am sick of people stating the bloody obvious by saying..."well would you like paul merson back?"...no i wouldn't....but there just has to be a middle way....i stopped going last season...even though i knew i would miss out on them picking the trophy up...i just couldn't stand those performances where even the away fans were saying..."how the hell walsall are above us in the league i will never know".....I started going again at the start of this season....With the "we will play a lot better in this league with better footballing sides" ringing in my ears from the likes of you and Neil Ravenscroft....well its not...DD only knows one way...and thats bore the opposition (and fans) to death....then when they've lost the will to live...hit em on the break.....Rant over.

Ned_Kelly
UTS Legend

Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:29 am

sid swifty wrote:
Duke wrote:Thats not what i said Phil . a manager can be the greatest tactician in the world but if the players don't perform on the day your going to get beat thats what happened at Leeds. to many players just didn't turn up .

There are so many people on here Dave (you included) who nomatter what King dickie says or does cant do any wrong.....now i will admit that i cant stand the bloke personally.....but i would be prepared to go and watch his (our) teams play if they weren't so damned boring....like you Dave ive supported walsall all my life....so we should be singing from the same Hymn book....but i just refuse to keep paying good money out to see DD ruin it with his negative tactics....i would rather sit at home...and i know a lot of people like that....its not success or the lack of it Dave...it boring football...and i am sick of people stating the bloody obvious by saying..."well would you like paul merson back?"...no i wouldn't....but there just has to be a middle way....i stopped going last season...even though i knew i would miss out on them picking the trophy up...i just couldn't stand those performances where even the away fans were saying..."how the hell walsall are above us in the league i will never know".....I started going again at the start of this season....With the "we will play a lot better in this league with better footballing sides" ringing in my ears from the likes of you and Neil Ravenscroft....well its not...DD only knows one way...and thats bore the opposition (and fans) to death....then when they've lost the will to live...hit em on the break.....Rant over.

Sounds about right Sid, i think you'll find the main difference yesterday was the fans, as usual we were very quiet, unlike the Leeds fans who hardly stopped all game and drove their team to victory. I think that kind of home atmosphere is just what DD has been asking for, it made all the difference yesterday

kaneo

Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:35 am

When DD took over ,I remember a fan from New Zeland posting a message basiclay saying when DD was in charge of his team in New Zealand they played the most boring style of football he could remember mainly hoof ball which is not unlike the style we have adopted under DD.

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:00 am

sid swifty wrote:

in that case mate we are not singing from the same Hymn book , as long as there is a WFC i'll support the club and i will always look for the positives and not the negatives . its in my blood its part of me .

sid swifty
Glitterati

Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:05 am

Duke wrote:
sid swifty wrote:

in that case mate we are not singing from the same Hymn book , as long as there is a WFC i'll support the club and i will always look for the positives and not the negatives . its in my blood its part of me .

Shouldn't there be some lip quivering patriotic music playing when we read this post Dave.... :lol: P.S...without people like you Dave...the generals who planned the charge of the light brigade wouldn't have had many men to send into battle.... :wink:
Last edited by sid swifty on Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ned_Kelly
UTS Legend

Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:06 am

Duke wrote:
sid swifty wrote:

I'm positive :D

Were not good enough :(

TofDover
UTS Regular

Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:10 am

If we are useing the wrong tactics and we are boreing lets revert to Mearsons tactics adventurous football and relegation

addo
UTS Veteran

Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:21 am

sid swifty wrote:

Tell me Sid - which of our previous successful managers played football any differently ?

Chris Nicholl ? Surely not - defensive in the extreme.

Ray Graydon ? Exactly the same principle. Be strong through the spine with one holding midfielder & attack via the wings.

I can harp back to the days of Buckley and some of the most entertaining football I have ever seen, but -
let's face it - it didn't win us anything .
We won jack through over 25 seasons.

We have still managed almost 20 clean sheets this season.
Let's face it - to be successful you have firstly be hard to beat - which in the main I think we are.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:28 am

Ned_Kelly wrote:
sid swifty wrote:

Sounds about right Sid, i think you'll find the main difference yesterday was the fans, as usual we were very quiet, unlike the Leeds fans who hardly stopped all game and drove their team to victory. I think that kind of home atmosphere is just what DD has been asking for, it made all the difference yesterday

:? :? :?

Was I at a different ground to you then? I thought we made all of the noise up until their second goal, while they were very quiet except for one rendition of Marching on Together just before half time and a few odds and ends in the last ten minutes.

PreviousNext
Return to 2007-08 Season