Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Nottingham Forest (A) League 1 Saturday 15/3/08.

Reports and reaction from the 2007-08 season as Walsall finished 12th in League 1
Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Re: Nottingham Forest (A) League 1 Saturday 15/3/08.

Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:20 pm

A good result - though against Forest, a point is the minimum we would expect ;)

Leeds aren't that good. So many teams have been beaten by their "aura" more than their quality. It won't be easy but we're capable of at least a point - we comprehensively outplayed them earlier in the season.

coxy_saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:21 pm

Great point..cheers vale.. :mrgreen:

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:23 pm

Dobbo still has a job to do for us.

Interesting to hear how Ishy played when he came on.

UTS

Maverick
UTS Veteran

Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:39 pm

latviancheese wrote:Dobbo still has a job to do for us.

UTS

Booked in the last minute. :roll:

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:49 pm

Maverick wrote:

UTS

For kicking the ball away, no less. He's just stupid.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:50 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
Maverick wrote:

UTS

For kicking the ball away, no less. He's just stupid.

I missed that? Are you sure?

We rode our luck at times today (esp first half) but overall I think we battled hard enough to deserve a point. I thought Sonko did well, as did Dobbo. Great support today (1500???) from Walsall - and Dicky bowing to us at the end in what looked like an apology to me for recent remarks? Anyway - overall a good day, though I've never known such an inept bunch of stewards in my footballing life.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:59 pm

A great battling point, but we got away with it today. Although we had a good spell just before halftime we barely posed a threat in the second half. Forest's goal came as a result of a combination of a skied Roper clearance and lack of defensive cover down our right - time and again in the second half Weston was left exposed by Sonko. Our equaliser came at the end of our only sustained pressure after the break [well a couple of attacks] - I have no idea what happened but I thought Mooney headed towards goal and their defender got the final touch. Apart from a Gerrard header and a late Bradley [?] header that may have grazed the bar, it was all the home team.

We defended superbly. However, I'm not sure we are strong enough, particularly in the middle [that said, Dobson played well today] and upfront. I'm prepared to say that with the current squad we are not good enough to sustain a challenge for the play offs. A point today does not blind me to the obvious limitations of the team. Forest should have won, they missed several chances, how their number 9 did not hit the target with that free header I'll never know. But I'm so chuffed we managed to continue our unbeaten run against them.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:40 pm

Good performance today and a good result. 1-1 was probably a fair reflection, but it could have been more too as we had an effort cleared off the line and Bradley hit the bar - both at 1-1 - and we had a 4-on-3 break in stoppage time that I thought Gerrard rather wasted by shooting from range (in fairness, I guess Ormerod missed a sitter at 1-0 so Forest probably felt they could've won too, but they barely tested Ince). Basically a classic Walsall away performance, soaking up pressure and then hitting them on the break. Can't ask much more than we got today.

I think it's very, very harsh to blame Roper for the goal. There wasn't much wrong with his clearance - it went into the Forest half and they had a lot of ground to cover to get to the goal. Personally, I thought that the guy who put the cross in was offside when he was played in beyond Weston, so I'll be interested to see that again.

Anyway, a vastly improved performance from everyone and we did well to peg them back after going behind. Bradley, while maybe not back to his best, looked much better in midfield. Having Dobson alongside him making tackles and playing it simple looked to be a big help to him (although I think Wrack was unlucky to miss out on the bench). Mooney was much better up front too and Sonko made a difference coming back. I still think we look very laboured going forwards a lot of the time though. I'd like to see us running at men and driving on towards the goal a lot more - especially Betsy who looks like he has the ability to be a very good player, but for one reason or another (and it could just be confidence) doesn't seem to want to beat his man.

DD waved at us too. As always with an away game, that was the most important thing!! :wink:

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:45 pm

I dont know for sure as I haven't spoken to him since Weds - but Wrack had a niggling injury after Tues - maybe thats why he wasn't on the bench???? I thought Dobson did well (as said earlier) as did Sonko - but as someone else pointed out, it did leave Weston exposed and all their threat seemed to come down that side.

OldPenkSaddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:56 pm

mmm 1-1. Fully deserved point. Well done lads, decent,hard working performance.

Nice to see DD come across to acknowledge and bow to us. Well done to him.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:10 pm

The best bit about today was..... Mr Ellison giving me a piggy back :mrgreen: I bet his back will be aching later :lol:

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:25 pm

Very happy with a point at Notts Forest. Hope for more against dirty Leeds. Well done the lads.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:58 pm

Plastic Hawk wrote:Good performance today and a good result. 1-1 was probably a fair reflection, but it could have been more too as we had an effort cleared off the line and Bradley hit the bar - both at 1-1 - and we had a 4-on-3 break in stoppage time that I thought Gerrard rather wasted by shooting from range (in fairness, I guess Ormerod missed a sitter at 1-0 so Forest probably felt they could've won too, but they barely tested Ince). Basically a classic Walsall away performance, soaking up pressure and then hitting them on the break. Can't ask much more than we got today.

I think it's very, very harsh to blame Roper for the goal. There wasn't much wrong with his clearance - it went into the Forest half and they had a lot of ground to cover to get to the goal. Personally, I thought that the guy who put the cross in was offside when he was played in beyond Weston, so I'll be interested to see that again.

Anyway, a vastly improved performance from everyone and we did well to peg them back after going behind. Bradley, while maybe not back to his best, looked much better in midfield. Having Dobson alongside him making tackles and playing it simple looked to be a big help to him (although I think Wrack was unlucky to miss out on the bench). Mooney was much better up front too and Sonko made a difference coming back. I still think we look very laboured going forwards a lot of the time though. I'd like to see us running at men and driving on towards the goal a lot more - especially Betsy who looks like he has the ability to be a very good player, but for one reason or another (and it could just be confidence) doesn't seem to want to beat his man.

DD waved at us too. As always with an away game, that was the most important thing!! :wink:

Agree with all that. Dobson played his part very well today. It was a game that was perfectly suited to his strengths. I though Mooney was much better today - looked really fired up and, as a lone striker, couldn't try those fancy but infuriating flicks to a strike partner. Instead he had to keep it simple: either hold the ball or pass it - and he generally did that well. Thought Ishmel did quite well when he came on. Forest are a team who try and play football, and will give you a yard or two on the ball. Ishmel thrives in these situations. He played in a great corner and another good cross. Weston and Gerrard good. Roper and Bradley much improved.

We rode our luck at times, but worked hard against Agogo, Ormorod, Holt and Tyson. I still think Clingan is one of the best players in the division.

Finally, a mention for Ince. A couple of great saves, plus some really good 'takes' from corners, crosses etc. Really good stuff from the big man.

Perhaps we're in for a good season. Ormorod's miss, immediately after their first goal, would probably have seen them out of sight, and we may have been on for a drubbing. Instead, 2 minutes later and we're level, other results go our way (by and large) and we remain in the top six. Perhaps that's the moment our season hangs upon - here's hoping!

Nice to see RM acknowlegde what was truly terrific support, in the face of predictable but still shocking stuff from the stewards who were a cause rather than solution to any crowd problems today. When will they learn?

Just realised I wrote "Finally..." and then made three more points. What the hell. Great point boys. Good team effort, including something of a rapprochment between RM and supporters. Nice day.

Willy Nilly
UTS Regular

Location: All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear, and disregards the rest.

Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:12 pm

Whitti Steve wrote:We rode our luck at times today (esp first half) but overall I think we battled hard enough to deserve a point. I thought Sonko did well, as did Dobbo. Great support today (1500???) from Walsall - and Dicky bowing to us at the end in what looked like an apology to me for recent remarks? Anyway - overall a good day, though I've never known such an inept bunch of stewards in my footballing life.

Your first visit to Forest then? :D

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:18 pm

Willy Nilly wrote:
Whitti Steve wrote:We rode our luck at times today (esp first half) but overall I think we battled hard enough to deserve a point. I thought Sonko did well, as did Dobbo. Great support today (1500???) from Walsall - and Dicky bowing to us at the end in what looked like an apology to me for recent remarks? Anyway - overall a good day, though I've never known such an inept bunch of stewards in my footballing life.

Your first visit to Forest then? :D

No - but it's been a while

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:31 pm

Special mentions to: Dobbo + Ince (for us), Tyson + Clingan (for them). 1-1 fair result. Battled hard. You'll never beat the Saddlers. Three points next week please.

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:02 am

Synopsis: A complete contrast to the away point at MK Dons this time last season, but no less important.
Make no mistake, we got out of jail today with getting a point. The boos from the Forest fans tells its own story. In midfield it looked more like 4v2 than the actual 4v5. Anyway....

Ince: Two outstanding saves early on kept us in it. A little erratic with positioning and kicking it's fair to say but commanded the area superbly in dealing with crosses.

Weston: Outstanding first half, went completely AWOL at the start of the second. Cost us one goal, nearly two. Regained composure after.
Boertien: Fairly tidy
Gerrard: Commanding
Roper: Backed up Gerrard, a good performance, though not back to top form by any means. Covered Weston's AWOL interludes well.

Dobson: Swamped in the first half, took control in the last half hour when Forest ran out of steam.
Sonko: At least tried to be inventive, even if it did look rubbish at times. Showed some nice touches and linked up play well. I think he did well double teaming the Forest left, which I'm sure should be Betsy's job.
Bradley: Anonymous first hour, looked like a boy in a man's game. Totally different in last half hour, unlucky not to score.
Holmes: Took a knock early on but was poor, especially from set pieces.
Betsy: Bone idle.

Mooney: Talismanic.

Demontagnac: Effective, showed nice touches and improved crossing and set pieces 100%. Composed performance by his standards, the booking was harsh really, as the amount of injury time was ridiculous in a match that contained no bad tackle in poor conditions.
Deeney: Average
McDermott: Allowed some tall blokes to mark up from set pieces. Ran around a bit.

RM: He is my PR guru.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:27 am

leics_saddler wrote:Betsy: Bone idle.

Agree with the rest, but I think that's a bit harsh. He was 'in' and 'out' of the game, but put in a good shift at times for me.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:12 am

At first I thought 4 mins extra was a lot, but at 39 seconds per sub, plus 2 goals - it was probably about right.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:25 am

Whitti Steve wrote:At first I thought 4 mins extra was a lot, but at 39 seconds per sub, plus 2 goals - it was probably about right.

Seemed like an eternity to me though. Especially as we conceded two free kicks in really dangerous areas. :(

All was well in the end. :D

Bitter Tree Hugger
Notts

Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:22 am

Very unimpressed with your guys yesterday. Only the fact that we were shite saved you.

Apart from the exceedingly soft goal - did you actually have a shot

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:23 am

Bitter Tree Hugger wrote:Very unimpressed with your guys yesterday.

You should have seen us last week! then you'd understand our euphoria at grabbing a point. :(

sid swifty
Glitterati

Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:31 am

King Crimson wrote:

You should have seen us last week! then you'd understand our euphoria at grabbing a point. :(

And people are baffled as to why attendances are down..... :roll:

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:34 am

Very defensive performance from us, but I didnt expect anything else after two straight defeats.

We should have won the game though, Bradley was unlucky with his header hitting the bar, and someone else had a header cleared off the line.

Roper once again looked a liability, and Gerrard was tremendous.

Roper is clearly the weak link in the defence, and any group of people is only as good as it's weakest member, we need to get someone in to replace him to settle us down a bit at the back.

Bradley looked better yesterday, coming back to fitness. Betsy had a better game that the two previous home games, but still doesnt look like he's playing 110% for the cause.

Stewards were awful as usual, causing more trouble than they prevented.

And I hope DD noted how quiet the City Ground was. Did Colin Calderwood bemoan the lack of atmosphere from a much larger crowd that what we get at Bescot?

It just shows Dicky that with all seater stadia, atmospheres in grounds are now very difficult to sustain, I think we do a pretty decent job at Bescot.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:05 am

philthesaddler wrote:Very defensive performance from us, but I didnt expect anything else after two straight defeats.

We should have won the game though, Bradley was unlucky with his header hitting the bar, and someone else had a header cleared off the line.

Roper once again looked a liability, and Gerrard was tremendous.

Roper is clearly the weak link in the defence, and any group of people is only as good as it's weakest member, we need to get someone in to replace him to settle us down a bit at the back.

Bradley looked better yesterday, coming back to fitness. Betsy had a better game that the two previous home games, but still doesnt look like he's playing 110% for the cause.

Stewards were awful as usual, causing more trouble than they prevented.

And I hope DD noted how quiet the City Ground was. Did Colin Calderwood bemoan the lack of atmosphere from a much larger crowd that what we get at Bescot?

It just shows Dicky that with all seater stadia, atmospheres in grounds are now very difficult to sustain, I think we do a pretty decent job at Bescot.

Good point, Hulk

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:17 am

Bitter Tree Hugger wrote:Very unimpressed with your guys yesterday. Only the fact that we were guano saved you.

Just the 4 points off you this season then. Where did you get your username from again? :D

Up the Saddlers

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:19 am

Blazing_Saddler wrote:
Bitter Tree Hugger wrote:Very unimpressed with your guys yesterday. Only the fact that we were guano saved you.

Just the 4 points off you this season then. Where did you get your username from again? :D

Up the Saddlers

He likes lemons, sour grapes and sour cream all in a nice large mug of gin and bitter lemon

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:35 am

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:
Blazing_Saddler wrote:

Up the Saddlers

He likes lemons, sour grapes and sour cream all in a nice large mug of gin and bitter lemon

No, I just think that BTH is a cynical realist - rather like us longer-serving Saddlers' fans! :mrgreen:

Bitter Tree Hugger
Notts

Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:52 am

Pedagogue wrote:
Fray Bentos is God! wrote:
Blazing_Saddler wrote:

Up the Saddlers

No, I just think that BTH is a cynical realist
In one !!!

Brum

Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:58 am

sid swifty wrote:
King Crimson wrote:

And people are baffled as to why attendances are down..... :roll:

do you ever write anything positive? we're in play off contention, so why are attendances down?

King Crimson wrote:
leics_saddler wrote:Betsy: Bone idle.

Agree with the rest, but I think that's a bit harsh. He was 'in' and 'out' of the game, but put in a good shift at times for me.

when betsy did burst forward, he had no one in support. mooney wasnt able to get forward and support him at all in the last 25mins. he would have had to produce a solo super goal to make a real impact. i think he should take a look at tyson tho, he could be the same sort of player.

leics_saddler wrote:Synopsis: A complete contrast to the away point at MK Dons this time last season, but no less important.
Make no mistake, we got out of jail today with getting a point. The boos from the Forest fans tells its own story. In midfield it looked more like 4v2 than the actual 4v5. Anyway....

Ince: Two outstanding saves early on kept us in it. A little erratic with positioning and kicking it's fair to say but commanded the area superbly in dealing with crosses.

Weston: Outstanding first half, went completely AWOL at the start of the second. Cost us one goal, nearly two. Regained composure after.
Boertien: Fairly tidy
Gerrard: Commanding
Roper: Backed up Gerrard, a good performance, though not back to top form by any means. Covered Weston's AWOL interludes well.

Dobson: Swamped in the first half, took control in the last half hour when Forest ran out of steam.
Sonko: At least tried to be inventive, even if it did look rubbish at times. Showed some nice touches and linked up play well. I think he did well double teaming the Forest left, which I'm sure should be Betsy's job.
Bradley: Anonymous first hour, looked like a boy in a man's game. Totally different in last half hour, unlucky not to score.
Holmes: Took a knock early on but was poor, especially from set pieces.
Betsy: Bone idle.

Mooney: Talismanic.

Demontagnac: Effective, showed nice touches and improved crossing and set pieces 100%. Composed performance by his standards, the booking was harsh really, as the amount of injury time was ridiculous in a match that contained no bad tackle in poor conditions.
Deeney: Average
McDermott: Allowed some tall blokes to mark up from set pieces. Ran around a bit.

RM: He is my PR guru.

i'd actually disagree a bit:
mooney - didnt do much, didnt even gee up the other players like he used to.
betsy - chased a lot of balls, didnt have support
deeney/mcdermott - didnt have enough time to be judged
sonko - wouldnt say he looked rubbish at all, we've definitely missed him. better int he middle than wide

philthesaddler wrote:Roper once again looked a liability, and Gerrard was tremendous.

he only struggled against the pace of tyson, ormerod (apart from the 2minute spell that included the goal) agogo and holt didnt offer much

PreviousNext
Return to 2007-08 Season