Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Nottingham Forest (A) League 1 Saturday 15/3/08.

Reports and reaction from the 2007-08 season as Walsall finished 12th in League 1
Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Re: Nottingham Forest (A) League 1 Saturday 15/3/08.

Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:07 pm

Bitter Tree Hugger wrote:did you actually have a shot

Had you been drinking? Off the top of my head...
Two shots blocked from corners that dropped to us in the first half
Sonko shot from a narrow angle (after the quick throw) which Smith blocked
Weston cross-shot flew all the way across goal, any touch would have taken it in
Bradley (or was it Gerrard?) header, cleared off the line
Bradley header hit the bar
Sonko curling effort just over
Gerrard run and weak shot in the last minute
(Oh, and Roper's bicycle kick, of course!)

Still, not one of those players cost a transfer fee, so it probably doesn't count. How I wish we could afford to spend hundreds of thousands on our strike force. We might muster a few more shots then. Or at least be able to beat teams as bad as Walsall.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:19 pm

Registered Saddler wrote:

Weston cross-shot flew all the way across goal, any touch would have taken it in

Still, not one of those players cost a transfer fee, so it probably doesn't count. How I wish we could afford to spend hundreds of thousands on our strike force. We might muster a few more shots then. Or at least be able to beat teams as bad as Walsall.

Thanks for reminding us, I thought we parked the bus :roll:

Graydon48
Glitterati

Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:12 pm

Bitter Tree Hugger wrote:Very unimpressed with your guys yesterday. Only the fact that we were guano saved you.

Apart from the exceedingly soft goal - did you actually have a shot

Can remember you saying the same thing after we beat you at home.
Now I am starting to understand were your name BITTER Tree Hugger comes from.
You'll never beat the Saddlers !

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:57 pm

Graydon48 wrote:
Bitter Tree Hugger wrote:Very unimpressed with your guys yesterday. Only the fact that we were guano saved you.

Apart from the exceedingly soft goal - did you actually have a shot

Can remember you saying the same thing after we beat you at home.
Now I am starting to understand were your name BITTER Tree Hugger comes from.
You'll never beat the Saddlers !

can we play you every week :lol:

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:37 am

To answer those points about my review.

I thought Mooney did a tremendous job today, covered an enormous amount of ground and did it wisely. He didn't chase everything, just the amount needed to keep Forest's defenders guessing. He reminded me very much of Trevor Benjamin, a player who is far more intelligent than he's given credit for (and that's not just because he lives near me!)

Betsey did go on a couple of half-hearted runs, as he had no support, I accept that. He soon tired of that sort of thing though just before half-time. He was marked by four players and had no support. He intelligently played for a foul and got it only for the referee to wave play on. However, we were a five man midfield and were over-run particularly on our right. If he is the wide right player, I maintain that part of his job is to provide assistance in that area which he didn't and Sonko ended up there instead.

As for Sonko, I think back to the Doncaster game, where he got some fearful stick. I remarked that he's a good player making the wrong decisions and that was part of his adapting to the English game. I think that has been borne out, but I made my remarks in the light of a number of supporters around me who were quick to blame him. Sonko does have that touch of international class that is required in matches like this. It doesn't always come off, but a lot of the time his clever touches linked play up very well behind Mooney, a role that was vital. DD obviously has confidence in him now, by asking him to shore up the right hand side.

McDermott and Deeney did have little time to make an impact and I accept that my comments appeared negative. McDermott did do some chasing and got in the wall - that is true - and to be honest, they were the best two things he could have done in the time. Deeney was fair rather than average. He did what was required and that was fair enough, again in the wide right position that I'm not sure suits him best. I apologise to the substitutes if appeared rather harsh on them.

I think that Forest ran out of steam alarmingly. They looked such a good side early on and ought to have had the game out of sight. It's therefore very odd that they became so disheartened that they hadn't wrapped it up, rather than thinking they were so in control that their chance would come. They looked so nervous and under such a weight of expectation, it really gave me some hope for the Leeds match. Doncaster and us could really be in a great position as our supposed betters may combust in spectacular fashion.

The best things about today, were Roper's attempted overhead kick, Ormerod treading on the ball and getting home just after 6.00 - earliest time ever!

Willy Nilly
UTS Regular

Location: All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear, and disregards the rest.

Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:00 am

leics_saddler wrote:To answer those points about my review.

I thought Mooney did a tremendous job today, covered an enormous amount of ground and did it wisely. He didn't chase everything, just the amount needed to keep Forest's defenders guessing. He reminded me very much of Trevor Benjamin, a player who is far more intelligent than he's given credit for (and that's not just because he lives near me!)

Betsey did go on a couple of half-hearted runs, as he had no support, I accept that. He soon tired of that sort of thing though just before half-time. He was marked by four players and had no support. He intelligently played for a foul and got it only for the referee to wave play on. However, we were a five man midfield and were over-run particularly on our right. If he is the wide right player, I maintain that part of his job is to provide assistance in that area which he didn't and Sonko ended up there instead.

As for Sonko, I think back to the Doncaster game, where he got some fearful stick. I remarked that he's a good player making the wrong decisions and that was part of his adapting to the English game. I think that has been borne out, but I made my remarks in the light of a number of supporters around me who were quick to blame him. Sonko does have that touch of international class that is required in matches like this. It doesn't always come off, but a lot of the time his clever touches linked play up very well behind Mooney, a role that was vital. DD obviously has confidence in him now, by asking him to shore up the right hand side.

McDermott and Deeney did have little time to make an impact and I accept that my comments appeared negative. McDermott did do some chasing and got in the wall - that is true - and to be honest, they were the best two things he could have done in the time. Deeney was fair rather than average. He did what was required and that was fair enough, again in the wide right position that I'm not sure suits him best. I apologise to the substitutes if appeared rather harsh on them.

I think that Forest ran out of steam alarmingly. They looked such a good side early on and ought to have had the game out of sight. It's therefore very odd that they became so disheartened that they hadn't wrapped it up, rather than thinking they were so in control that their chance would come. They looked so nervous and under such a weight of expectation, it really gave me some hope for the Leeds match. Doncaster and us could really be in a great position as our supposed betters may combust in spectacular fashion.

The best things about today, were Roper's attempted overhead kick, Ormerod treading on the ball and getting home just after 6.00 - earliest time ever!

Did you watch their game against Carlisle> (think it was Monday before last :?: ).

That game was very similar, with Forest overrunning the Carlisle midfield for the first 10-15 minutes and then fading for the rest of the game after not getting the early goal. Carlisle scored with about 20 minutes left. Game over.

I made the point to OldPenkSadddler after the first few minutes on Saturday, that if we could hold out fot those first 15 minutes or so we'd get something out of the game, and that's pretty much what happenend, except we weren't quite as good as Carlisle were.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:14 pm

Admittedly I wasn't at the game, but I've just watched the highlights on Virgin media and regardless of how much possession I'm told they had, we had as many, if not more clear cut chances than them. You're always going to be up against it at Forest, especially with Tyson's pace up front, but it's encouraging to see that we had a few decent chances and were by no means lucky to get a draw as I think most Forest fans seem to think.

It's also encouraging to see the midfield look half decent again.

Bitter Tree Hugger
Notts

Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:02 pm

Source http://www.saddlers.premiumtv.co.uk/pag ... 28,00.html
Forest Walsall
Goals : 1 1
Possession : 66% 34%
Shots On Target : 5 1
Shots Off Target : 5 2
Corners : 10 5
Fouls : 8 13
Most Fouls : Morgan (2) Demontagnac (3)
Yellow Cards : 0 2
Red Cards : 0 0

Scorers :
Ormerod 49

Wilson 54 (og)

So, had you been drinking :roll:

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:04 pm

Those highlights flattered us a little. It was a match of three thirds, believe me the first wasn't much of a contest and we came off worst in the second.
And just as I was about to press 'return', so appears "66/34", reinforcing my assessment.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:06 pm

Bitter Tree Hugger wrote:Source http://www.saddlers.premiumtv.co.uk/pag ... 28,00.html
Forest Walsall
Goals : 1 1
Possession : 66% 34%
Corners : 10 5
Fouls : 8 13
Most Fouls : Morgan (2) Demontagnac (3)
Yellow Cards : 0 2
Red Cards : 0 0

Scorers :
Ormerod 49

Wilson 54 (og)

So, had you been drinking :roll:

At least we beat you for 'most fouls' - and Ishmel was only brought on in the second half. Your lot need a trip to 'Nancy School'. :wink:

Bitter Tree Hugger
Notts

Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:28 pm

Hey guys, I don't doubt for one second we were poo - I said as much earlier in the week and throughout the season. I merely commented that I wasn't overly impressed by your guys.

You watch us beat Northampton Friday night to save Clueless's bacon once again

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:42 pm

Bitter Tree Hugger wrote:Hey guys, I don't doubt for one second we were poo - I said as much earlier in the week and throughout the season. I merely commented that I wasn't overly impressed by your guys.

Northampton were decent at our place, and obviously their win against Swansea was impressive. It won't be an easy result - as I'm sure you appreciate.

And re: my point above - anything short of two straight red cards, and your lads aren't committed enough for the 'business end' of the season.

Bitter Tree Hugger
Notts

Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:48 pm

King Crimson wrote:
Bitter Tree Hugger wrote:Hey guys, I don't doubt for one second we were poo - I said as much earlier in the week and throughout the season. I merely commented that I wasn't overly impressed by your guys.

Northampton were decent at our place, and obviously their win against Swansea was impressive. It won't be an easy result - as I'm sure you appreciate.

And re: my point above - anything short of two straight red cards, and your lads aren't committed enough for the 'business end' of the season.
Watch Clueless throw a sickie on Friday - he is about to be subjected to abuse from both sets of fans

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:50 pm

Bitter Tree Hugger wrote:Watch Clueless throw a sickie on Friday - he is about to be subjected to abuse from both sets of fans

Like the stewards on Saturday? :D

Bitter Tree Hugger
Notts

Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:23 pm

King Crimson wrote:
Bitter Tree Hugger wrote:Watch Clueless throw a sickie on Friday - he is about to be subjected to abuse from both sets of fans

Like the stewards on Saturday? :D
Yep.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:28 pm

I can see where you're coming from, BTH. It WAS a great battling performance from us, but I think the result papers over the cracks somewhat. We are clearly lacking strength in depth in key areas.

Dobson did play well on Saturday but it really was his kind of game, a 'rolled up sleeves' kind of situation where you can get stuck in. Playing the likes of Crewe/Bournemouth and Hartlepool at home in the next few weeks, he is'nt going to be creative enough in the middle for 90 minutes. I'm not sure Wrack is the answer either, particularly if Bradley is off his game, although he did improve substantially second half.

Ditto: playing one upfront at Forest in a stifling operation is very different to doing the same against the above opponents at home when three points are very much the priority and/or we have to chase the game. Let's face it - we are short in terms of both creativity in midfield and potency upfront. I'm not sure Betsy is the answer in a forward role as an alternative, and I'm not too hopeful of Stefan Moore, if I'm honest.

On reflection, I'm still pleased with the point but I really do think we are going to be short of the play-offs unless we bolster the squad in midfield/forward areas. The good news is we are still in the PO zone. The bad news is we are now only 3 points clear of 12th place.

As for Forest - I think there is a lot of pressure on them, and I'm not sure they have the character to deliver. They should have beaten us on Saturday. However, I would say PO's at best for them.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:13 pm

Bitter Tree Hugger wrote:Forest Walsall

So do you remember now that we did have a shot? Three in fact, according to those stats. Although it was obviously more than that. It seemed a deliberately obtuse comment to make, considering we actually hit the bar and had one headed off the line in the second half. The Virgin Media highlights should jog your memory.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:44 pm

So do you remember now that we did have a shot? Three in fact, according to those stats. Although it was obviously more than that. It seemed a deliberately obtuse comment to make, considering we actually hit the bar and had one headed off the line in the second half. The Virgin Media highlights should jog your memory.

Every week when I look at the match stats on the OS, I'm sure that they're made up! Either that or I'm going to watch an altogether different game from the guy who puts them together.

Bitter Tree Hugger
Notts

Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:48 pm

It was an off the cuff flippant comment, and when you consider that your goal was an own goal then no - you didn't have a shot on target - according to the stats.

And don't blame me for the stats, they are off your website ( and ours )

Bitter Tree Hugger
Notts

Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:50 pm

BathSaddler wrote:As for Forest - I think there is a lot of pressure on them, and I'm not sure they have the character to deliver. They should have beaten us on Saturday. However, I would say PO's at best for them.
You'll get no complaints from me on that score

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:58 pm

Bitter Tree Hugger wrote:

It was an off the cuff flippant comment, and when you consider that your goal was an own goal then no - you didn't have a shot on target - according to the stats.

And don't blame me for the stats, they are off your website ( and ours )

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I think that the shot on target we had was the Gerrard header cleared off the line and not the goal (I'm not sure that's even one of the shots off target!!). I'm not blaming you for the stats, I'm blaming PTV. They're always rubbish. :wink:

Willy Nilly
UTS Regular

Location: All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear, and disregards the rest.

Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:07 pm

Only one 'stat' that really matters, anyway. :mrgreen:

Counted more than one 'shot' on target anyway. :wink:

And anyone reckon Mooney meant for that one to go in off the defender??

http://www.football.virginmedia.com/page/walsallvideo/

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:49 pm

Bitter Tree Hugger wrote:
BathSaddler wrote:As for Forest - I think there is a lot of pressure on them, and I'm not sure they have the character to deliver. They should have beaten us on Saturday. However, I would say PO's at best for them.
You'll get no complaints from me on that score

Steady now. I said PO's at best, and nothing about actually winning them :wink:

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:29 pm

No one ever is. I'm not exaggerating when I say there must have been 15+ managers/sets of opposing fans that said we were poor last season on our way to winning the title but as we said to them, it's what happens at either end of the pitch that counts and we're pretty good at that.

Bitter Tree Hugger
Notts

Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:24 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:

No one ever is. I'm not exaggerating when I say there must have been 15+ managers/sets of opposing fans that said we were poor last season on our way to winning the title but as we said to them, it's what happens at either end of the pitch that counts and we're pretty good at that.
Only wish we were, I could accept crap footy if it actually got us somewhere

Previous
Return to 2007-08 Season