Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Brighton And Hove Albion (H) League1 Tuesday 11/3/08.

Reports and reaction from the 2007-08 season as Walsall finished 12th in League 1
latviancheese
Site Addict

Re: Brighton And Hove Albion (H) League1 Tuesday 11/3/08.

Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:30 pm

pastsodull wrote:
tinned wrote:
What, spending the majority of the interview repeating the fact that he (a) doesn't understand why the fans don't make a noise and (b} is at a loss to what he can do to change that?????

Still don't see how that means he was blaming the fans for the result, as latvian was challenging. Just as you suggest some people are quick to go 'La La La', some are quick enough to get to a keyboard and blame DD for climate change as soon as they hear he said he drove home last night. A moment to stop and think goes a long way.

DD has limited hair therefore the sun reflects off his smooth head and contributes to global warming. Money Out before the River Severn ends up in your living room.

:lol: :lol:

futuresobright

Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:56 pm

Thankfully, an increasing number of posters on UTS are finally recognising the malignant effect Mr Touchy is having on our team and its reputation. It really is pathetic. Having sold two more of the jewels he inherited, he swoops for Betsy, Ndau and Moore! This takes his number of hopeless signings to 23 (24 including Money). I look forward to the day he sells on one of the players he has brought to the club. And as for preferring Moore, Betsy, Hughes, Sonko, McDermott, Deeney, Mooney etc to Ishy…genius.
The sad thing is, while he thinks he is being ‘hard’ during interviews it is increasingly clear that the media treat him, and by association the club, as a joke. No wonder crowds are falling and even interest in this site is diminishing. A bad smell is festering over the Banks’ stadium …time to clear away the source.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:57 pm

futuresobright wrote:Thankfully, an increasing number of posters on UTS are finally recognising the malignant effect Mr Touchy is having on our team and its reputation. It really is pathetic. Having sold two more of the jewels he inherited, he swoops for Betsy, Ndau and Moore! This takes his number of hopeless signings to 23 (24 including Money). I look forward to the day he sells on one of the players he has brought to the club. And as for preferring Moore, Betsy, Hughes, Sonko, McDermott, Deeney, Mooney etc to Ishy…genius.
The sad thing is, while he thinks he is being ‘hard’ during interviews it is increasingly clear that the media treat him, and by association the club, as a joke. No wonder crowds are falling and even interest in this site is diminishing. A bad smell is festering over the Banks’ stadium …time to clear away the source.

:mrgreen: ****

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:26 am

futuresobright wrote:Thankfully, an increasing number of posters on UTS are finally recognising the malignant effect Mr Touchy is having on our team and its reputation. It really is pathetic. Having sold two more of the jewels he inherited, he swoops for Betsy, Ndau and Moore! This takes his number of hopeless signings to 23 (24 including Money). I look forward to the day he sells on one of the players he has brought to the club. And as for preferring Moore, Betsy, Hughes, Sonko, McDermott, Deeney, Mooney etc to Ishy…genius.

Time to clear YOU out, you bloody moron!

cal wfc fan
UTS Regular

Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:31 am

Isn't it past your bed-time?

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:34 am

Quality - was waiting for notbernie to show up again!

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:45 am

We were really poor in all areas for the second game in a row, and I can't remember that happening before under Money. Interestingly, the opposition had a totally different approach - on Saturday Northampton simply played better football, passing it around and making a mockery of our long ball game. Tonight, Brighton were happy to sit back and hit us on the break, and they did it to great effect. Two different approaches, but both successful.

What's worrying is that we were poor in all the key areas. Ince made a howler for the first goal, not too sure what happened for the second; the centre backs did some things well, but Roper and Gerrard just don't seem to operate well together; we were just overrun in central midfield, as Brighton were very narrow and our wingers (while they did reasonably well going forward, in the first half at least) didn't come inside to help out the exposed Wrack and Bradley; and up front, we had one player who I can't remember having a shot, or passing the ball to one of his teammates on a single occasion (he makes Cederqvist look like Adebayor) and another who tried hard, but for whom nothing came off.

We miss Dann. We miss Ricketts. Heck, we're missing Sonko. But even beyond that, confidence looks non-existent (I can't work out why it should be, given how well we've done). Knowing us we'll go and turn over Forest and Leeds - I hope we do - but reinforcements are needed to bolster things in central defence, midfield and attack.

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:54 am

My thoughts on the game . some of our build up play was good at times but the final killer ball was woeful , Mooney did a lot of running huffng and puffing , shaking his fists at the crowd but did very little else . Moore looked exactly what he is a player who hasn't played for months . Betsy was by far our best forward player , Holmes got some decent balls across but to no avail , the back 4 was stready enough the more i see of Ince the less i want to see him in goal next season .
In midfield Wrack and Bradley were left chasing shadows the latter looks totally knackerd . i did see a slight improvement when Taundry came on .

All in all very disappointing all te good work from Swindon and Luton wasted , at least other results went our way keeping us in a place off place .

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:09 am

All I'm saying is that Roper has made a big contribution towards our last 2 matches. :x

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:35 am

Bristol Fan wrote: Ince made a howler for the first goal,

Did he? Honest question. The Brighton player shot and then I heard another distinct noise which I took to be a deflection off a defender? Sitting to the side, it was impossible to tell, but Ince seemed to have gone down for the ball in one position and it scooted to the side of him. I sort of presumed it had deflected there and it was certainly hit well enough to have left little time for adjustment.

If there was no deflection, then it was a clear mistake.

The second goal, I think, was just one of those things. From what I could see, the Brighton player tried to head it across goal and it hit Boertien and went in. In the circumstances, I think it would have been an exceptional save by Ince to keep it out.

Mind you, talking of exceptional saves, their keeper made a world-class one from Moore in the first half. When was the last time Ince made one? I used to notice the same about Walker. You could tell when he wasn;t on top of his game - nothing *obvious* wrong but those exceptional saves which keep us in games just don't happen.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:44 am

God, we were awful again last night. Second to every ball over the pitch and just didn't look interested in competing with Brighton. Very similar to what happened against Northampton and to have that happen twice in a row against mid-table sides when we're chasing promotion is just not on. I said on another thread yesterday that we don't have the right to expect promotion, but as long as everyone's trying their hardest to do their best then we have to be happy. Well, I just don't see that as being the case last night. We've won so many games over the last 18 months by grinding away, doing the hard yards to stay in games and then taking our chances to grab the three points. We've had a taste of our own medicine twice over the last few days - and it'll happen time and time again if we don't get back to outworking the opposition.

I can see the point DD was making about our chances and having more of the ball than Brighton - but if anything that just frustrates me more. They weren't as good as us (or even as Northampton), but their commitment and desire to win more than made up for it, just as we know it can do from our own results. I don't think that we did anywhere near enough as the home side to win that game, so we can't have any complaints about losing it.

Hardly anyone played well, but some players need a proper kick up the backside, starting with the captain. If Mooney's not interested then he ought to just **** off right now. All he's doing at the moment is trying fancy flicks for the highlight reel his agent's sending round to other clubs and gurning at the crowd in an effort to convince us that he's Mr 100% and start singing his name. Well, Tommy, it's not working. We can all tell that you're not trying and the scouts who come to see you are going to realise just how much you're giving the ball away and just how little effort you're making to win it back.

What's the point of Stefan Moore? I was led to believe (despite my scepticism about his goalscoring record) that he's offer us pace up front that we don't otherwise have. Well, I'm sorry, but I just don't see him having any pace at all. And seeing as he doesn't get involved in link up play and he's not going to win any headers then I don't get what he offers us. We looked far better with the genuinely quick Betsy up front at Swindon.

Roper was poor, but maybe not as poor as some are making out. The first goal he was turned too easily, but someone in the midfield should have picked up the second ball from Murray's knock down (foul?) well before it became an issue (Bradley didn't look interested in tracking back quickly enough all night, is this a confidence thing? - he needs a spell out of the side) and - of course - Ince should've saved it. The second goal he dived in on the half way line, but only after Brighton had won a series of headers and 50/50's - just as they did all night. We do need another centre back, but the problems over the last two games have run far deeper than Roper not being Scott Dann.

As I say, Bradley was poor again and needs a rest, but Wrack once again didn't step up. I don't expect him to drive us forward and get goals these days, but in that role he needs to put his tackles in and make and receive simple passes. He's just not doing that and is back to the hiding of early in the season. It's understandable (if unacceptable) for a young player to go missing when the going gets tough, but for a senior pro like Wrack (who's been captain on occasion this season) it's totally unforgivable. Let's have Dobson in on Saturday and let Wrack start thinking about a new club for next season.

Speaking of Wrack not driving us forward, we're just not direct enough when we go forward. Not in terms of pumping long balls into the box, but by not driving in at the goal when we're four on four going forwards. So many times Holmes, Betsy or Moore would pick up the ball with just the defenders ahead of them and instead of running fast towards the goal and trying to commit a defender or two they'd drift slowly out towards the wing, make a couple of casual passes between each other or lay it back into the congested midfield. All of this time the Brighton midfield was regrouping and getting in behind the ball. By the time we finally did actually look to create a chance they were set up to repel us. We need to show a bit more urgency going forwards. Do we want to win games or not?

Finally, DD. He must have known that his comments were going to get the reaction that they did. I don't think he was actually slagging off the fans (he sounded at a loss to understand the atmosphere at the ground rather than critical of it) and the question was certainly asked with the intention of getting him to say something silly. Of course, he shouldn't have given them a soundbite (although he didn't say all that they accused him of, for example the exchange "are you thinking of walking away?" "No," was reported as "hinting at resignation") but equally we shouldn't bite at WM's rabble rousing either. We all need to pull together between now and the end of the season.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:47 am

ShropsSaddler wrote:
Bristol Fan wrote: Ince made a howler for the first goal,

Did he? Honest question. The Brighton player shot and then I heard another distinct noise which I took to be a deflection off a defender? Sitting to the side, it was impossible to tell, but Ince seemed to have gone down for the ball in one position and it scooted to the side of him. I sort of presumed it had deflected there and it was certainly hit well enough to have left little time for adjustment.

If there was no deflection, then it was a clear mistake.

The second goal, I think, was just one of those things. From what I could see, the Brighton player tried to head it across goal and it hit Boertien and went in. In the circumstances, I think it would have been an exceptional save by Ince to keep it out.

Mind you, talking of exceptional saves, their keeper made a world-class one from Moore in the first half. When was the last time Ince made one? I used to notice the same about Walker. You could tell when he wasn;t on top of his game - nothing *obvious* wrong but those exceptional saves which keep us in games just don't happen.

From directly behind, the ball for the first goal swerved late, possibly as a result of a deflection, possibly as a result of the wind. But Ince wasn't in any kind of position to react to it. He was flat footed and not down low enough to make any kind of adjustment. He'd probably have saved the shot if it hadn't swerved, but I doubt he'd have caught it cleanly despite it being straight at him. If his technique had been good enough he'd have had enough time to react to the movement. I think it was a howler really.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:03 am

Plastic Hawk wrote:but Wrack once again didn't step up. I don't expect him to drive us forward and get goals these days, but in that role he needs to put his tackles in and make and receive simple passes. He's just not doing that and is back to the hiding of early in the season. It's understandable (if unacceptable) for a young player to go missing when the going gets tough, but for a senior pro like Wrack (who's been captain on occasion this season) it's totally unforgivable. Let's have Dobson in on Saturday and let Wrack start thinking about a new club for next season.

See what I meant about getting in a Tom Bennett on loan? :wink: :D

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:28 am

PJD wrote:
Plastic Hawk wrote:but Wrack once again didn't step up. I don't expect him to drive us forward and get goals these days, but in that role he needs to put his tackles in and make and receive simple passes. He's just not doing that and is back to the hiding of early in the season. It's understandable (if unacceptable) for a young player to go missing when the going gets tough, but for a senior pro like Wrack (who's been captain on occasion this season) it's totally unforgivable. Let's have Dobson in on Saturday and let Wrack start thinking about a new club for next season.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I did think that back to yesterday afternoon's discussion as I was writing it. I think we have options in the current squad in that position though (Dobson), so I'd use them and save the loans for a more attacking midfielder and a centre back.

I'm still torn about spending the money this season at all. After the last two games I think out play-off chances are now slightly less than 50% with the current squad though, so I guess we probably are at the point where we do need to invest a little bit of cash to try to get there.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:21 am

Plastic Hawk wrote:
PJD wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I did think that back to yesterday afternoon's discussion as I was writing it. I think we have options in the current squad in that position though (Dobson), so I'd use them and save the loans for a more attacking midfielder and a centre back.

I'm still torn about spending the money this season at all. After the last two games I think out play-off chances are now slightly less than 50% with the current squad though, so I guess we probably are at the point where we do need to invest a little bit of cash to try to get there.

I think that after these two losses it is too late now to do anything which will have any effect this season. The next two games are pivotal and the current squad has to step up to the plate and show what they are made of (which I think they can). It will certainly be interesting anyway.

Greg WP

Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:23 am

Plastic Hawk wrote:
Finally, DD. He must have known that his comments were going to get the reaction that they did. I don't think he was actually slagging off the fans (he sounded at a loss to understand the atmosphere at the ground rather than critical of it) and the question was certainly asked with the intention of getting him to say something silly. Of course, he shouldn't have given them a soundbite (although he didn't say all that they accused him of, for example the exchange "are you thinking of walking away?" "No," was reported as "hinting at resignation") but equally we shouldn't bite at WM's rabble rousing either. We all need to pull together between now and the end of the season.

He DID hint at resignation which is why the reporter picked him up on it with that specific question. "Perhaps its me and if thats the case then we will have to see....' He was set up a treat by WM though and I have no problem with that. The sooner fans realise he has a major problem with our lack of adulaton for him the better IMO. This nonsense could undo our season.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:28 am

Greg WP wrote:
Plastic Hawk wrote:

He DID hint at resignation which is why the reporter picked him up on it with that specific question. "Perhaps its me and if thats the case then we will have to see....' He was set up a treat by WM though and I have no problem with that. The sooner fans realise he has a major problem with our lack of adulaton for him the better IMO. This nonsense could undo our season.

No, his original statement was ambiguous about what he meant with regard to resignation. The reporter gave him the opportunity to clarify and he did. If he'd been intending to hint at resignation he'd have answered the follow-up question more ambiguously too. Sometimes people's meaning isn't clear because they don't phrase what they want to say quite right, not because they're intending to hint at a double meaning. I think that was the case here.

To be honest, I think the reporter thought it was a hint about resignation too, hence the follow-up question. He must have been kicking himself for asking it when DD said "no" as that (should have) killed the story stone dead. Of course, being a bunch of unprofessional jokers, WM still tried to run with it, but it doesn't hold water for me.

gerryhatrick
UTS Legend

Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:14 pm

There's every likelihood that the full interview will be transmitted this evening.

Maybe we should reserve judgement, until we are able to digest the content.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:15 pm

gerryhatrick wrote:There's every likelihood that the full interview will be transmitted this evening.

Maybe we should reserve judgement, until we are able to digest the content.

You've been around long enough to know us better than that! :roll:

:wink:

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:17 pm

Calmed down today, but theres nothing out of the last two games positive.

Roper was awful, Ince wa unsteady, and we have a poor midfeild we miss sonko. We miss ricketts, and Mooney didnt look interested last night.

Bring on forest....

coxy_saddler
UTS Veteran

Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:54 pm

It was frustrating more than anything..Why did mooney keep trying to walk the ball in? Shhot for f1ck sake! Roper..Jesus christ. Holmsy was our best player on the pitch..Some of his crosses was pure quality just no one to get on the end of em! We miss eddi..His presence could of been done with last night. Intresting against forest saturday..

chase saddler

Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:24 pm

IMHO I think we have been found out. With Dann and Fox we had 2 defenders who liked to push forward and were good at it. They supported the midfield, now we have Boertien, who solid though he is, is no Danny Fox going forward, and Roper is no replacement for Dann. With them we built from the back and rarely conceded a goal. The solid nature of the back four inspired confidence in the rest of the team.

Now the midfield are having to operate on their own and lets be honest, as much as I have respect for DD and what he has acheived for us, he has never been blessed with a strong Midfield. We were crying out for a creative midfielder this time last year and we still are. The loss of Mattis and Sweeney who both looked promising obviously didn't help. Yes Holmes is quality but he can't do it on his own.

For me need a Scott Dann replacement, sorry but Ropes isn't the man, and more than ever we need more quality in the midfield.

With regard to last nights perfomance:-

Ince - Part responsible for the first goal. Learn to throw as well as kick

Weston - Quality

Roper- As somebody said, The Titanic has a smaller turning circle. Time to drop him I think.

Gerrard - Quality

Boertien - Solid

Holmes - Quality

Wrack - Tries hard, runs around acheives little.

Bradley - I like Bradley but the last too games have been way off his usual standard.

Betsey - Mmm Tried hard but for me the jury is still out.

Mooney - Looks out of sorts, not the player or motivator we saw earlier in the season.

Moore - May be talented but is bloody lazy. I thought Ricketts could be idle at times but this guy surpasses that big style. Shape up or ship out.

As for the subs Taundry worked hard, and Deeney at least tried more than Moore

DD - Strange team selection I thought. Dobbo came on and played well on Saturday and yet last night he didn't make the bench.

I still think he is on the whole a damn good manager. But when it comes to PR he aint even third rate.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:01 am

I think last night proved we need a dobbo for some bite. Wracky's kicking at the ankles is just comical.

Imho the loss off Dann is clearly being felt. Someone who can put his foot on the ball, and just play a simple pass, instead of a hoof. I never thought id say that about a centre half.

gerryhatrick
UTS Legend

Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:01 am

Blazing_Saddler wrote:A sneaky 1-0 win, with a gritty performance, to be followed by a couple of excellent away performances to shut the moaners up.

Well BS, here we are, four games later and you have to admit, someone wasn't
following your team orders.

Previous
Return to 2007-08 Season