Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Brighton And Hove Albion (H) League1 Tuesday 11/3/08.

Reports and reaction from the 2007-08 season as Walsall finished 12th in League 1
Biggles
UTS Veteran

Re: Brighton And Hove Albion (H) League1 Tuesday 11/3/08.

Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:44 pm

At least the Diungles lost....

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:50 pm

At least I have an excellent new avatar :twisted:

Carneiro Is Not Leitao.

Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:52 pm

This certainly puts pressure on results against Leeds and Forest, if we get less than 3 points out of them, getting into the play-offs will definately be a challenge. However, we are still fifth and 2 points clear of 7th. At least Ant Gerrard wasn't robbing houses tonight......

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:53 pm

Dreadfully disappointing. Taundry's sending off just caps it all off. Poor crowd too - 4,309 in our position is appalling [whatever the conditions]. I'll be interested to hear comments on the contribution of Stefan Moore - is he what we need?

Two home defeats is not the best way to prepare for the next two tough away games, that's for sure. A test of DD management abilities coming up.
Last edited by BathSaddler on Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:57 pm

Today's bright spot: the failure of the teams around us in the table (Forest, Tranmere, Southend, Leeds) to win. Onwards and upwards (or maybe downwards) at Forest on Saturday. And we always beat them. Don't we?

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:18 pm

Just got in, and im absolutly fuming.

tonight was an absolute joke. The Ref, The weather, the stewards, and the football.
Distinct lack of quality tonight.

How they scored their first ill never know, we score and play some nice football. Then inept goalkeeping cost us, but he should never of got the shot off anyway. They were first to every ball, and were quicker than us. Roper was slow today, good in the air, but he let people get away too often.

Sending off? no way but he should of reacted. If your gonna deck him, deck him properly.

Brightons goalie, he is a joke. theres a word for people like him and involves 4 letters and starts with a C. That goes for the ref aswell. Bottled it and failed to stamp any authority on the game.

I hear people complaiing about Moore, it would help if he had the ball! Mooney was woeful tonight. WOn nothing, ran around alot and gee'd the crowd up i suppose. Im slowly losing faith with Mooney, it pains me to say.

The most entertaining thing tonight was the weather.

And as for the stewards(hate the lot of the jobsworth barstewards), im glad they let him back in, i saw kev flicking the v's a bit but nothing worse than i was doing. All the stewards are bullies, happy to throw a harmless boy out, but if anything actually kicked off they would stand and watch.

Ince- Cant kick, should stick to throwing it. Cost us today, but we didnt desrve anything anyway.
Weston - Superb. Him and Gerrard are quality
Roper - Nuff said.
Gerrard - Quality, nothing got past him, a reccuring theme.
Boertien - guilty of fannying about with the ball when he didnt need too,and went walkabouts sometimes but he was solid enough.

Betsy- Looks good when he runs forward. Err, thats about it to be honest.
Wrack- Solid enough game really. Wish he had some more pace though.
Holmes - If he was a bit stronger he'd be the best left sided player in the league.
Bradley - Bemused to why we took him off, solid and passed around okay.

Mooney- Awful.
Moore - Made to look awful.

Subs

Taundry - Added something different but stupidly got sent off.
Mcdermott - Did he touch the ball?
Deeney - Ran around alot. Thats all he can do.

We lack a cutting edge. Theres this big black man ive heard thats going on a free transfer....

RANT OVER. :mrgreen:

Purple Toucan Saddler

Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:23 pm

IMHO Moore should not be in the starting line up - does little running, no quality when he does get the ball - I would rather have Deeney or Nicholls than Moore any day of the week - least they show passion for the club

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:24 pm

Well, well, well...I hate to say I told you so, but I did - on the 31st January to be precise.

We did not strengthen from a position of strength, and in doing so it has cost us big time, mid table here we come!

Absolutely dreadful today, nothing at all. The whole team was crap bar Weston and Holmes, truly shocking. Where do I begin? Long ball hoof it rubbish.

The bench today summed it up, absolutely bizarre decision to drop Dobson and Nicholls, if I was Nicholls, I'd hand in a transfer request, because if inept PR man gets in above him then beggars belief. 4 20 or so year olds made our outfield options. Deeney who is rubbish, Taundary who is workhorse (FULL BACK - more on this later) McDermott who randomly appears every few months and adds nothing, and Manny Smith - who has hardly played at all. A truly destructive bench with stunning options.

Now it shows how crap the squad is when you have an 18 year old full back coming on as your midfield option. Absolutely bizarre lack of strengthening.

Our passing was woeful, defence was like the key stone cops, no cohesion whatsoever. The midfield did exactly the same as saturday, inept, weak and one dimensional. Our strikers were pathetic, Mooney and Moore can both sod off if they are going to play like that. oooh but wait, we have Deeney to come on and terrorize defences! They have must have been crapping themselves in fear. we have absolutely nothing in terms of depth in our squad, we all said this in January, February and now March.

Ince - Drop him. 1/10

Boertien - wasted so many passes. 5/10
Gerrard - how on earth was he Motm? all because he did one good tackle, his positioning was awful. 5/10
Roper - Get rid, absolutely dreadful. 'Clean sheet' again was up to his usual tricks, crap distribution and to cap it off got turned twice for BOTH goals. Akinfenwa did well against him, oh sorry that was Glenn Murray My mistake! :roll: 1/10
Weston - put effort in and tried to play football. 7/10

Holmes - tried all night to get crosses in and take us forward.7/10
Wrack - Useless, hides behind players and offers nothing. 3/10
Bradley - Was rubbish, needs a break to refresh or at least get a good partner in for him. 5/10
Betsy - Thought he did well, tried his best. all you can ask. looked good in central positions funnily enough. 6/10

Mooney - was a waste of space. 4/10
Moore- Didnt do anything. 4/10

Subs:

Deeney - woeful, looks about as dangerous as a thimble of jelly. shocking. adds nothing. 2/10
Taundary - Feel sorry for him, told to play in a position that is not is own. tries hard. 6/10
McDermott - sorry, he actually played? 2/10

Yet again, we are up to our old tricks again of only bringing in players when we reach crisis point, not 3 weeks before which would have avoided this. our squad is paper thin and struggling. we need a centre half, midfielder and a pacy striker. Im afraid I think we have blown it now if we dont sign some players, some experienced heads. Not some random STM signing, some quality.

I am beyond gutted tonight.

The club summed up its ambition the night we sold Scott Dann.

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:24 pm

Richard Money "We won the title and are now competing for the play-offs and still no murmur from the fans, I must look at myself in what I've got to do. We need to get to work together rather than just one" :roll: :roll:

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:25 pm

All our fault according to Money again! Nothing to do with the long ball rubbish we're watching then Richard? Prat!

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:30 pm

tinned wrote:All our fault according to Money again! Nothing to do with the long ball rubbish we're watching then Richard? Prat!

I dont want to turn this into another Money v the fans thread and I have utmost respect for Dickie but my god that interview was ridiculous. He has yet again fell for the bait WM fed to him. DD, JUST SHUT UP! Let John Mullen or someone else hold these press conferences.

His tactics tonight was woeful, his decision to keep the same X1 that put that kind of performance on Saturday and his loyalty to certain players (Roper, Betsy and Mooney) are top reasons we find ourselves in this rut.

We are still 5th, but dont know how long for, that queue for the play-offs is getting bigger.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:32 pm

Well, in the Excuse & Dingle, DD promised that we would not get a performance as bad as last Saturday. He was right. It was even worse! :evil: What a dire performance. The team somehow seems bereft of self-confidence; no-one wants the ball; certain players hide; we are back to playing "League Two Hoofball". This was successful in League Two but merely shows our lack of ideas in League One. Is this lack of confidence due to playing at home? I admit I can't understand why we appear to have forgotten the good football that we were playing until recently. What a time to "bottle it"!

Ince had little to do but made a complete pig's ear of their first goal. What was he doing? Awful goalkeeping. Weston and Boertien were sound defensively but resorted to the hoofball approach, particularly Weston. Gerrard once again deservedly MotM and Roper had a sound game - apart from their first goal when Forster left him for dead (Ince should still have made a straightforward save, though). Midfield no better than Saturday. Wrack was his usual strolling self - a slightly more skilful version of Dobson. Bradley looks woefully out of sorts - in need of a rest from 1st team football. Holmes was, once again, our only attacking threat but as for Betsy - what a waste of a loan signing - a totally gutless, uninterested performance. I'd rather see Nicholls or Deeney there, gaining experience. I could say exactly the same about Stefan Moore who is living down to the reputation given him by the QPR fans. I expected him to be "rusty" at first but I did expect to see progress and improvement. Sadly it was not there. Mooney - even worse than last Saturday, although the service to him was poor. If he thinks that sort of performance will earn him a new contract, he must be puddled! :shock: Deeney and McDermott made little improvement when they came on but as for Taundry - he needs his a**e kicking! To retaliate, right in front of the referee, who had given the free-kick to us (and subsequently cautioned the Brighton player) was an act of unbelievable stupidity. What an idiot! I hope DD lays the law down to him. He will now miss the Forest, Leeds and Crewe games, just when we need him. He ought to be in our starting line-up but he has dealt a blow to our play-off chances.

OldPenkSaddler
UTS Veteran

Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:35 pm

Wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:Well, well, well...I hate to say I told you so, but I did - on the 31st January to be precise.

We did not strengthen from a position of strength, and in doing so it has cost us big time, mid table here we come!

Absolutely dreadful today, nothing at all. The whole team was crud bar Weston and Holmes, truly shocking. Where do I begin? Long ball hoof it rubbish.

Totally agree, Darren. You reap what you sow.

First sign of poor management from DD. There will be a lot of sorting out to do at the end of the season if DD stays.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:35 pm

tinned wrote:All our fault according to Money again! Nothing to do with the long ball rubbish we're watching then Richard? Prat!

DId he say that? NO, you just took it that way.

I agree it was long ball sh** though

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:36 pm

Pedagogue wrote:Well, in the Excuse & Dingle, DD promised that we would not get a performance as bad as last Saturday. He was right. It was even worse! :evil: What a dire performance. The team somehow seems bereft of self-confidence; no-one wants the ball; certain players hide; we are back to playing "League Two Hoofball". This was successful in League Two but merely shows our lack of ideas in League One. Is this lack of confidence due to playing at home? I admit I can't understand why we appear to have forgotten the good football that we were playing until recently. What a time to "bottle it"!

Ince had little to do but made a complete pig's ear of their first goal. What was he doing? Awful goalkeeping. Weston and Boertien were sound defensively but resorted to the hoofball approach, particularly Weston. Gerrard once again deservedly MotM and Roper had a sound game - apart from their first goal when Forster left him for dead (Ince should still have made a straightforward save, though). Midfield no better than Saturday. Wrack was his usual strolling self - a slightly more skilful version of Dobson. Bradley looks woefully out of sorts - in need of a rest from 1st team football. Holmes was, once again, our only attacking threat but as for Betsy - what a waste of a loan signing - a totally gutless, uninterested performance. I'd rather see Nicholls or Deeney there, gaining experience. I could say exactly the same about Stefan Moore who is living down to the reputation given him by the QPR fans. I expected him to be "rusty" at first but I did expect to see progress and improvement. Sadly it was not there. Mooney - even worse than last Saturday, although the service to him was poor. If he thinks that sort of performance will earn him a new contract, he must be puddled! :shock: Deeney and McDermott made little improvement when they came on but as for Taundry - he needs his a**e kicking! To retaliate, right in front of the referee, who had given the free-kick to us (and subsequently cautioned the Brighton player) was an act of unbelievable stupidity. What an idiot! I hope DD lays the law down to him. He will now miss the Forest, Leeds and Crewe games, just when we need him. He ought to be in our starting line-up but he has dealt a blow to our play-off chances.

All very well Bob, but it's blatantly all our fault for not recreating the "Anfield Kop of the 80's" atmosphere. :roll:

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:36 pm

Pedagogue wrote: He ought to be in our starting line-up but he has dealt a blow to our play-off chances.

I can think of other things that have dealt blows to our promotion chances!

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:37 pm

If Taundry had lamped the goalie instead of whoever, id of given him a payrise.

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:38 pm

latviancheese wrote:

DId he say that? NO, you just took it that way.

I agree it was long ball sh** though

90% of his interview was focused on the fans. He hardly mentioned the game, only briefly did he say that he thought the performance was fairly good :shock: Was he watching a game on the TV or something :?

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:39 pm

Wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:
Pedagogue wrote: He ought to be in our starting line-up but he has dealt a blow to our play-off chances.

I can think of other things that have dealt blows to our promotion chances!

Very true, Metfan, but I didn't want to use up too much bandwidth! :D

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:45 pm

Gutted. Went into a meeting at 1-1 when we were sounding pretty comfortable, and come in to find out we went down 2-1 to a freak own-goal, and that apparently Mick Kearns knows nothing about football as we were absolute pants according to the fans above.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:47 pm

What did Money have to say Tinned ? I might get a bit of sense out of you.

The match desperately disappointing to say the least. Not going to go in to great detail, or seem pleased about it like some know it alls already are.

Walsall F.C Greatest team in the weld

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:48 pm

Exile wrote:Gutted. Went into a meeting at 1-1 when we were sounding pretty comfortable, and come in to find out we went down 2-1 to a freak own-goal, and that apparently Mick Kearns knows nothing about football as we were absolute pants according to the fans above.

Stating that is about as obvious as DD wanting out

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:51 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:What did Money have to say Tinned ? I might get a bit of sense out of you.

The match desperately disappointing to say the least. Not going to go in to great detail, or seem pleased about it like some know it alls already are.

He said the team tried but came out with the wrong result. The ref was the worst we have ever had. Will look at Taundry red card. Doesnt understand why the fans dont make any atmosphere. This result will probably bring us back down to reality. We dont deserve to be in the play-offs when we have spent 50k in two years. The players are doing their bit, the supporters arent. He must think what to do next as the fans dont make any noise.

Blah blah blah :mrgreen:

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:52 pm

YGA Saddler wrote:
Blazing_Saddler wrote:What did Money have to say Tinned ? I might get a bit of sense out of you.

He said the team tried but came out with the wrong result. The ref was the worst we have ever had. Will look at Taundry red card. Doesnt understand why the fans dont make any atmosphere. This result will probably bring us back down to reality. We dont deserve to be in the play-offs when we have spent 50k in two years. The players are doing their bit, the supporters arent. He must think what to do next as the fans dont make any noise.

I cant see how at anypoint he blamed the fans. Some people are just out to get him.

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:52 pm

Pedagogue wrote: we are back to playing "League Two Hoofball".

Wrack was his usual strolling self - a slightly more skilful version of Dobson.

That last statement is SO wrong Ped....and it also explains why we're playing "hoofball" as you call it.

What Dobson offers that Wrack isn't....and indeed what Taundry offered superbly when he came on....is a midfielder who is prepared to play a simple pass, then move and ASK FOR THE BALL BACK.

Every time Wrack had the ball tonight (same on Saturday), he played it square or backwards to someone and then disappeared.

Hence the reason why Gerrard, Weston and Boertien were having to hit long balls - no midfield to pass to. The contrast on Saturday and tonight with the oppostion midfield was astonishing. Their players passed, moved and wanted the ball.

To be fair, it wasn't just Wrack, Bradley was equally as bad. But then I keep hearing how Wrack is a "senior professional" and has "vast experience" and I just see someone who spends as much of the game as possible hiding.

Taundry came on and looked 10 times the player Wrack is. But unfortunately he got himself sent off. Stupid to react of course but the Brighton player did a great acting job and, if the ref was close enough to decide that Taundry reacted, surely he should have seen this as well?

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:57 pm

If the ref was close enough to see Taundry react, how he missed the two Brighton players go for him is beyond me. CLUELESS

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:59 pm

latviancheese wrote:
YGA Saddler wrote:

I cant see how at anypoint he blamed the fans.

What, spending the majority of the interview repeating the fact that he (a) doesn't understand why the fans don't make a noise and (b} is at a loss to what he can do to change that?????

Some people are just out to get him.

Yeah, and some people stick their fingers in their ears and shout "La la la la" everytime DD says something they wish he hadn't.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:06 pm

tinned wrote:
latviancheese wrote:
YGA Saddler wrote:

I cant see how at anypoint he blamed the fans.

What, spending the majority of the interview repeating the fact that he (a) doesn't understand why the fans don't make a noise and (b} is at a loss to what he can do to change that?????

Some people are just out to get him.

Yeah, and some people stick their fingers in their ears and shout "La la la la" everytime DD says something they wish he hadn't.

You arent grasping what im saying, so what if he made a point about the fans, that doesnt say hes blaming them for the result does it :?

And i dont stick my fingers in my ears and say La la la. I think he's a bit silly with the rants he goes off one, im not saying that they are right, i totally agree with if he wants us to sing he should give us something to sing about. Im just sticking up for him here, because your saying he's blaming us, when he clearly wasnt.

saddlerken
Site Addict

Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:20 pm

terrible!

a woeful front 2

a shocking keeper

a centre half way way past his best

we miss that Sonko fella and some quality up front to replace what we once had with Ricketts

as for Money, grow up you complete rectum

pastsodull

Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:25 pm

tinned wrote:

Still don't see how that means he was blaming the fans for the result, as latvian was challenging. Just as you suggest some people are quick to go 'La La La', some are quick enough to get to a keyboard and blame DD for climate change as soon as they hear he said he drove home last night. A moment to stop and think goes a long way.

DD has limited hair therefore the sun reflects off his smooth head and contributes to global warming. Money Out before the River Severn ends up in your living room.

PreviousNext
Return to 2007-08 Season