Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Northampton Town Part 4 (H) League 1 Saturday 8/3/08

Reports and reaction from the 2007-08 season as Walsall finished 12th in League 1
We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Re: Northampton Town Part 4 (H) League 1 Saturday 8/3/08

Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:40 am

claret-cobbler wrote:Walsall 0 2 Norhampton Town FC
Scorers: Akinfenwa, Coke

Att: 6478 (away: 1102)

Temp 11c with slight wind, dry motorway and pitch

Cobblers

Exile
Jobsworth

Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:18 am

Blazing_Saddler wrote:

Cobblers

Mooooooooooooooooo!

Duke
Site Addict

Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:11 am

tinned
Site Addict

Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:09 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:

Cobblers

Nah! It's true.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:46 pm

claret-cobbler

Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:25 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:

Cobblers

Cobblers, Cobblers, Cobblers, COBBLERS, Cobblerz, cobblerz..........

Stuart Gray wherever you maybe you are the pride of our city, you can S**g my wife on the settee if we can win at wemberlee..........

The cobblers........the cobblers..........the cobblers...........the cobblers.........

Duke
Site Addict

Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:04 pm

claret-cobbler wrote:
Blazing_Saddler wrote:

Cobblers

Stuart Gray wherever you maybe you are the pride of our city, you can S**g my wife on the settee if we can win at wemberlee..........

The cobblers........the cobblers..........the cobblers...........the cobblers.........

we are the pride of the midlands
the villa are scum
we hate the wanderers the baggies and brum
we are from walsall we are the best
we are the saddlers so fudge all the rest :D

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:29 pm

claret-cobbler wrote:
Blazing_Saddler wrote:

Cobblers

Looks like he will have to make do with the back of your car

claret-cobbler

Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:38 pm

right, smalltalks over.

BRING ON THE COBBLERS........

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:40 pm

claret-cobbler wrote:right, smalltalks over.

BRING ON THE COBBLERS........

Should be a good game, and ... sorry I can't help but snigger

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:05 pm

BLOODY HELLL

We're On WM!!!!

HKSaddler
the "fececious" one

Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:09 pm

But they aren't streaming it on the web, for contractual reasons.

HKSaddler
the "fececious" one

Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:12 pm

Damn, 0-1

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:13 pm

Roper, Ince. Akinfenwa. :roll:

Norfolk_Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:48 pm

Just logged on to SW.

Wot happened with the goal?

Where's sonko, injured?

PerStener
UTS Veteran

Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:35 pm

2-0 down. Akinfenwa again.

I get irritating on the commentators, they slagging walsall of all the time.
They didn't even know that Betsy use to play as a striker.

Norfolk_Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:40 pm

i know, per. The main commentator is a Wolves fan, which explains a lot really.

They sit in judgement as if they've seen us every game this season. A bit like me, actually......... :roll: :)

Burnside
UTS Regular

Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:41 pm

I thought we had a touch of the big time charlies about us today on the back of two great away wins. We were beaten by a team doing exactly what we've been doing to teams all season.

Northampton were first to every ball, had options everytime they were on the ball, varied the play long and short, played to their strenths and all in all played to their own strenghts.

We looked like we were expecting that ball to come on a bit of string. I think the rawness and hunger of Deeney Nicholls Ishmel would have done us well today but it's easy to say that in hindsight when your established players do not perform.

The second half was a bit more encourage - we are creating chances.

Can't see us turning in that level of performance agaist Brighton, and i'd expect (on past evidence of DD Teams) that we will be well up for the two big away days.

Glitterati

Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:49 pm

A 'bad day at the office' today. Stefan Moore ineffectively jogged his way around the pitch, don't think he broke into a sweat all match. Tommy Mooney today was not the same player as the pre-christmas Tommy Mooney - I hope he isn't going to let the lack of contract offer affect his play.

A very good attendance today but yet again because of the poor performance alot of them are unlikely to be returning anytime soon.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:58 pm

Positives:
1. we are still in the play-offs, with a game in hand on most of the teams just below us
2. we have a chance to bounce straight back against Brighton to get us in the mood for the biggies at Forest/Leeds

that's all i can think of for now

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:25 pm

When Millwall released Akinfenwa, in January, I said that we could worse than sign him on a short-term contract to do the same sort of job that a less-talented Trevor Benjamin did so effectively for us, last season. This suggestion was scoffed at by a number of posters on here but I wonder what they think now? He has played against us several times, over the last few seasons, for Torquay, Swansea, Millwall and now Northampton. Each time, we have failed to contain him and Roper must dread the sight of him! He looks as if he will score more (6 in 5 games, now, for the Cobblers) than Stefan Moore, although the latter still needs some more games before final judgement is passed.

Today was just typical Walsall - build up our hopes with two excellent away wins, attract an above-average crowd and turn in a load of excrement like that. I can't see too many of today's first-time fans being attracted back by that sort of performance. Gerrard deserved his MotM award and Weston and Boertien were o.k. Ince at fault with the first goal, caught in no-man's land, and guilty of wasting possession with two stupid long kicks, with the following wind, straight to their 'keeper. Roper never really dominated his Nemesis, Akinfenwa. Midfield was outfought, outclassed and outplayed - a rare off-day for Bradley but it also showed up Wrack's shortcomings. Holmes showed his class, at times, but Betsy and Moore did nothing while Mooney had an absolute 'mare, missing six chances. However, to his credit, he at least kept trying to score. I am struggling to recall any other Walsall player troubling their 'keeper.

I am afraid that, today, the Money-Mullen duo was out-thought, tactically. Northampton have clearly learned a lot more about us than we have about them, in our 3 previous meetings.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:35 pm

I suppose you learn less when youre victorious. For N'ton I suspect the games were "back to the drawing board" moments.

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:16 pm

Pedagogue wrote:When Millwall released Akinfenwa, in January, I said that we could worse than sign him on a short-term contract to do the same sort of job that a less-talented Trevor Benjamin did so effectively for us, last season. This suggestion was scoffed at by a number of posters on here but I wonder what they think now? He has played against us several times, over the last few seasons, for Torquay, Swansea, Millwall and now Northampton. Each time, we have failed to contain him and Roper must dread the sight of him! He looks as if he will score more (6 in 5 games, now, for the Cobblers) than Stefan Moore, although the latter still needs some more games before final judgement is passed.

Today was just typical Walsall - build up our hopes with two excellent away wins, attract an above-average crowd and turn in a load of excrement like that. I can't see too many of today's first-time fans being attracted back by that sort of performance. Gerrard deserved his MotM award and Weston and Boertien were o.k. Ince at fault with the first goal, caught in no-man's land, and guilty of wasting possession with two stupid long kicks, with the following wind, straight to their 'keeper. Roper never really dominated his Nemesis, Akinfenwa. Midfield was outfought, outclassed and outplayed - a rare off-day for Bradley but it also showed up Wrack's shortcomings. Holmes showed his class, at times, but Betsy and Moore did nothing while Mooney had an absolute 'mare, missing six chances. However, to his credit, he at least kept trying to score. I am struggling to recall any other Walsall player troubling their 'keeper.

I am afraid that, today, the Money-Mullen duo was out-thought, tactically. Northampton have clearly learned a lot more about us than we have about them, in our 3 previous meetings.

Absolutely spot on Peddy!! :wink:

tape66
UTS Legend

Location: Solid steel visor riveted across his eyes, Iron staples close his jaws so no one hears his cries.

Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:21 pm

Jolly Johnny wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:When Millwall released Akinfenwa, in January, I said that we could worse than sign him on a short-term contract to do the same sort of job that a less-talented Trevor Benjamin did so effectively for us, last season. This suggestion was scoffed at by a number of posters on here but I wonder what they think now? He has played against us several times, over the last few seasons, for Torquay, Swansea, Millwall and now Northampton. Each time, we have failed to contain him and Roper must dread the sight of him! He looks as if he will score more (6 in 5 games, now, for the Cobblers) than Stefan Moore, although the latter still needs some more games before final judgement is passed.

Absolutely spot on Peddy!! :wink:

I agree.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:45 pm

We were very poor today. Not much more to say really. Hopefully it was just one of those days and we'll bounce back on Tuesday.

Three points against Brighton are essential now and we could really do with winning at least one of the away games over the following two weekends. We're still in the top six, so no need to panic, but a win would've put us 4th and with a nice 5 point cushion to 7th before going to Leeds and Forest. Certainly an opportunity missed today.

I'm with Pedagogue on Akinfenwa. Proven at this level and always a handful. I thought it was a chance missed when we didn't go after him at the time. Moore might well turn out to be a good signing, but I can't help thinking Akinfenwa would have been a much higher percentage move.

Greg WP

Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:54 pm

Sorry to say I thought Mooney played with his ar5e in his hand today, sulking over his contract no doubt. Poor.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:54 pm

A spot-on summary Mr P. Can't add much to that, so I won't. Can't even blame the ref today either! :?

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:59 pm

Everyone has more to say when there's something to moan about (including me) so expect this thread to grow.

We were as poor as we've been since our bad start to the season today. They were the better side from the word go and other than the typical openings you expect as the home team, we created very little in open play.

I don't like to say it, but we're looking like a real one man band at the moment. We seem to give the ball to Holmes and stand back and watch him try to work miracles. To be fair to him, he creates an awful lot and gets through a lot of work, but that's not the way to play if we want to get anywhere come the end of the season.
Bradley had a shocker. I literally don't think I saw him do anything worth mentioning all afternoon. He doesn't seem to play as well in a midfield 4 as he does in a 5 (usually away from home). I actually thought Wrack did alright considering he was playing more or less on his own in there. He always wanted the ball and generally kept posession.
Mooney looked off-colour until the final 5 minutes, when he got himself into a few good positions but was wasteful in front of goal. If you combine that with the fact that Moore basically never got into the game, I still think there's a case to be made for us signing another striker if possible.
Even the usually calm Boertein looked out of sorts, as I thought he did at Luton. I don't wish to put all the blame on one player, but no matter how well or badly he plays individually, the defence seems shaky quite often with Roper at its core.

I thought Taundry came on and added something we were distinctively lacking - drive, a will to win and some urgency. I'd seriously look to play him on Tuesday. Whether he comes in at right back (was Weston injured?), the right side of midfield, or the middle of midfield I'm not sure, but I think we're in need of his attributes at the moment.

There's plenty more to say, and I'm sure others will do just that. Losing today is far from the end of the world, but with 2 away games coming up which are about as tough as they come, we really do need to get it sorted and bag the three points on Tuesday night.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:59 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:

A spot-on summary Mr P. Can't add much to that, so I won't. Can't even blame the ref today either! :?

Although, now you remind me, he was poor. And how he didn't award us a penalty at 1-0 down just before half time when that Northampton defender nearly took Holmes's head off with a flying karate kick I'll never know!! That could've made a difference - although I'd still have backed Northampton to have gone on and got a winner in the second half.

Atomic Rooster
UTS Veteran

Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:34 pm

As dickie said a bad day at the office i think to many had a off day only gerrard,holmes and taundry when he came can hold there head up today if is any consolation with todays performance is dickie now knows we need a centre half and a creative midfielder not before the deadline before tuesday

PreviousNext
Return to 2007-08 Season