Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Northampton Town Part 4 (H) League 1 Saturday 8/3/08

Reports and reaction from the 2007-08 season as Walsall finished 12th in League 1
deanonev69
Glitterati

Re: Northampton Town Part 4 (H) League 1 Saturday 8/3/08

Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:35 pm

Very, very disappointed with todays performance. Admittedly, i didn't see us at Luton but did go to Swindon, what i considered to be a very good performance. So to see what i saw today, with more or less the same starting line up come as something as a shock.

There were so many not on form-Bradley, Roper, Wrack, Mooney. The only player i thought came out of it with any kind of credit was Weston who gave a good quality battling defensive performance. After a bright showing at Swindon, thought Besty was poor and always seemed to want to beat the player a second time for good measure.

Plus, as i have said elsewhere, THERE WAS NO PIGGING MILD!!!!! :evil:

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:50 pm

Cobblers weren't bad, scored first and defended well.

On to Brighton.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:53 pm

Pedagogue wrote:When Millwall released Akinfenwa, in January, I said that we could worse than sign him on a short-term contract to do the same sort of job that a less-talented Trevor Benjamin did so effectively for us, last season. This suggestion was scoffed at by a number of posters on here but I wonder what they think now? He has played against us several times, over the last few seasons, for Torquay, Swansea, Millwall and now Northampton. Each time, we have failed to contain him and Roper must dread the sight of him! He looks as if he will score more (6 in 5 games, now, for the Cobblers) than Stefan Moore, although the latter still needs some more games before final judgement is passed.

Today was just typical Walsall - build up our hopes with two excellent away wins, attract an above-average crowd and turn in a load of excrement like that. I can't see too many of today's first-time fans being attracted back by that sort of performance. Gerrard deserved his MotM award and Weston and Boertien were o.k. Ince at fault with the first goal, caught in no-man's land, and guilty of wasting possession with two stupid long kicks, with the following wind, straight to their 'keeper. Roper never really dominated his Nemesis, Akinfenwa. Midfield was outfought, outclassed and outplayed - a rare off-day for Bradley but it also showed up Wrack's shortcomings. Holmes showed his class, at times, but Betsy and Moore did nothing while Mooney had an absolute 'mare, missing six chances. However, to his credit, he at least kept trying to score. I am struggling to recall any other Walsall player troubling their 'keeper.

I am afraid that, today, the Money-Mullen duo was out-thought, tactically. Northampton have clearly learned a lot more about us than we have about them, in our 3 previous meetings.

I agree its typical walsall. However i need to make a point about Akinfenwa. If he's that good why do teams keep releasing him? He is just another marvin robinson, scores a few in the first few games then seems to drift off.

Although, i think we need an impact signing like that so maybe your right.

By the sounds of it The balls holmes were whipping in, if we had a target man we'd of won about 7 nil. Shame mooney cant head a ball really.

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:13 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:Wrack did alright ............. He always wanted the ball and generally kept posession.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

I must have got off the M6 at the wrong junction and gone to the wrong ground.

I saw a no. 7 playing today and there was only one word for him.

CLUELESS

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:21 pm

latviancheese wrote:Shame mooney cant head a ball really.

Seriously??
In fairness, he had a decent header clawed off the line by their 'keeper in the last minute.

Deano_Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:56 pm

Very poor performance today. Mooney really frustrated me today, every chance he had he just couldn't take it & his work rate wasn't up to any kind of level it normally is.
Bradley & Wrack imo were both absolutely clueless today & i thought it worked better when Taundry came on in the 2nd half.
Moore doesn't look as if he can be bothered, just jogged around the pitch.
But as people have said before, we are still in 1 of those playoff places so we really need to pick up the 3 points on tuesday then build on from that again.

dinkydotsaddler
UTS Regular

Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:14 pm

I can forgive Ince and Mooney cos they are two good reasons that we are 5th now. Roper had a shocker, I wonder if he and Wrack are just coming to the end - a shame cos I like them both mostly. Betsy was OK, didn't think Holmes was great. I thought Deeney looked good when he came on but a bit difficult to tell in that shorter time. I didn't really get the first substitution - why take replace Moore with Taundry - we were losing. Why didn't he bring Deeney or Nicholls on in replacement? Surely it makes more sense to give Mooney another striker to play alongside would give us more of a chance (although today I am not so sure). I thought the defense today had an awful game, Gerrard was good (as usual) but other than that they looked dodgy most of the time. Roper seemed to get almost everything wrong - he didn't stand a chance against Akinfenwa, but the DD should have seen that and attempted to do something about it. I trully hope that we take the points on Tuesday and we manage to maintain our place in the play-offs.

SWS1

Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:47 pm

It's almost like a policy - lure a decent crowd with two good away wins, then bladder it at home! :( Never mind. The last time we had a better record away than at home, we got promotion. :D

North Staffs Saddler
UTS Regular

Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:50 pm

Atomic Rooster wrote:As dickie said a bad day at the office i think to many had a off day only gerrard,holmes and taundry when he came can hold there head up today if is any consolation with todays performance is dickie now knows we need a centre half and a creative midfielder not before the deadline before tuesday

Why the bloody hell do people keep talking about the need for a new centre half. As someone has already pointed out on another thread, we have kept four clean sheets in the last six games in which Roper has played well. In any case Ince was to blame for the first goal today. The problem lies up front. Betsy did absolutely nothing and in the two matches that I have seen him play Moore was exactly as described by the QPR fan who posted recently, ineffectual and lazy. Mooney never has been a prolific goalscorer, but his other assets make him worth his place. We need someone who will score regularly, Matty Fryatt on loan anybody?, have we tried to get him, no, we sign Stefan Moore who probably has a worse goalscoring record than Gerard. The midfield could possibly do with strengthening but Bradley will not play that badly again, and Taundry put some bite into it when he came on. Our problem is not in defence, we must have one of the lowest goals against total in the division. :x :x

dinkydotsaddler
UTS Regular

Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:59 pm

People keep saying it cos it's true. Yes our defense has been great this season (so far), however, we need to strengthen our weakened defense, there is no way that losing Fox and Dann can not have had an effect. I fear we are in serious trouble if we get injuries/suspensions. The likes of Roper, Mooney and Wrack are bound to get tired now and we simply have no-one to come in for them.

matt3454

Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:10 am

When never even looked like scoring, relied heavily on holmes who couldnt beat his man. Mooney and Moore rarely had a sniff other than Mooney 2nd half header which he really should have scored.

Moneys substitutions really puzzled me, 1-0 down and taking off Moore for a Taundry, and then taking Boertein off, which ultimatley led to their 2nd goal. Why was Deeney brought on and not Nicholls? At least Nicholls has scored recently, however hard Deeney tries he never looks like scoring, and really frustrating match, one we really needed to win considering we have Forest and Leeds so soon.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:26 am

Ince - Kicking was crap.

Weston - tried to get forward to no avail.
Gerrard - Superb. Motm
Roper - Pub Player
Boertien - See Weston

Betsy - got into good positions but final ball was woeful
Wrack - Pub Player
Bradley - Looked like he was trying to be everywhere at once, meaning he was nowhere.
Holmes - Tried hard to push us forward but had zero help

Moore - Linked it up well nice I thought, strangely substituted.
Mooney - Why was he left on ?

Subs:

Taundary - Showed Wrack what he should be doing.
Deeney - now this substituion infuriated me? why on earth not Alex Nicholls?
Dobson - I thought he looked very assured at right centre half of a back three.

This game was down to the fact we were awful, and that we were awful. Roper was a Pub player, Dont need another centre half? I think we do. His fault for both goals. Midfield was random and so weak it was untrue. Wrack was awful, needs resting or something. Mooney was very, very wasteful. Moore was ok I thought.

Really peed off tonight, need to win those games.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:56 am

Wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:Midfield was random and so weak it was untrue.

That was what cost us. Generally speaking, I think we've done well over the course of the season so far in midfield, but we just don't have someone in there who can get hold of the ball in the middle of the park and make things happen. I sung his praises last week because in a struggling side he impressed me, but Matthew Spring is exactly the sort of midfielder we need. We struggle to cope unless both Bradley and Wrack are on top of their games. Given that Wrack's best years are probably behind him and Bradley still shows instances of naivety as a result of his inexperience, we can't expect both to play well in every game. I'd like to see us bring someone else in to play there.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:08 am

WFC_Rob wrote:

Seriously??
In fairness, he had a decent header clawed off the line by their 'keeper in the last minute.

I meant, yes course he can head a ball, but he doesnt win them, and he cant jump to save his life. He doesnt need to the way he plays, defenders bounce of him cause hes built like a brick poohouse.

Im just sayin Holmes balls into the box would of been more effective if we had a header of the ball in the box. Ricketts springs to mind.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:27 am

latviancheese wrote:I'm just saying Holmes's balls into the box would have been more effective if we had a header of the ball in the box. Ricketts springs to mind.

Ricketts is even worse in the air than Mooney!

However, I do agree with the thrust of your argument. We definitely lack a dominant, aggressive header of the ball, in attack.

cancol

Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:32 am

Some credit must go to Northampton, their formation which appeared to be a rigid 4-5-1 worked very well and in the first half they targetted Roper as the weak link with their big centre forward playing on his shoulder, Roper couldn't deal with him at all.
We were out numbered in midfield, which meant that when we gained posession our options were limited.
Neither of our wide players had the beating of their opposite numbers and that meant that we were losing posession very easily.
All in all we were out thought in tactics and out fought on the pitch.
A very sad day at the office.

we had a dingle fan with us and his closing comment was that 'it was like watching the w888es but not so bad cos it was cheaper'

Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:56 am

We could hold a full inquisition on this one but we couldnt hit a barn door from 6 yards today - we dont need to look any further do we?

I thought that if only one of the chances that fell to TM went in, we would of gone on to steal a draw..... at this stage of the season though after too many draws already this wouldnt of been good enough.

Looking at the table all our immediate challengers for the play off births above and below us have hit double figures in their number of home wins already - we are at best 4 wins off this pace - doesnt tell all the story I know!!

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:25 am

Missed the game ,spent the day celebrating my anniversary with the Duchess , obviously bitterly disappointed will the result but its not time to man the lifeboats just yet.
The pressure is on for Brighton i'll be there giving my all one thing we know from DD's time here we can get results when they are needed on tuesday we need one.

PT
Site Addict

Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:44 am

Really disppointing. Akinfenwa, was their Ricketts today, strong, powerful and clinical.

I agree with the comment above about Mooney playing with his ar5e in his hands. He seems to thrive on people saying stuff like "he's still running in the 90th minute like a 20 year old", well yesterday in minutes 1-80 he ran about like a 90 year old and just wasn't up for it. He came to life when it seemed a Mooney goal would be a consolation goal.

Still, we've only got three days of sulking, so we all have to be up again for Tuesday.

Chomper
UTS Veteran

Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:57 am

Disappointing performance yesterday but that's all it was - an off day.

I'm hoping we'll bounce back on Tuesday and things will look more rosey. It's certainly looking like our Home form will determine whether we'll make the play-offs or not. Away from home, we seem better set up to play.

sid swifty
Glitterati

Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:16 pm

Dont panic guys....we would have settled for a mid-table season before the season started....we've no right being that high up anyway so if we don't do it this season then i am sure we will next season.....keep the faith... :wink: ....(And i will say it before anyone else...."and this from a bloke who doesn't go and watch very often")... :twisted:

Ned_Kelly
UTS Legend

Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:20 pm

latviancheese wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:

Seriously??

I meant, yes course he can head a ball, but he doesnt win them, and he cant jump to save his life. He doesnt need to the way he plays, defenders bounce of him cause hes built like a brick poohouse.

Im just sayin Holmes balls into the box would of been more effective if we had a header of the ball in the box. Ricketts springs to mind.

Pity he out injured for rest of season. Next !

Kiansmom
Site Addict

Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:25 pm

My Brother-in-law was part of the match sponsor party yesterday, When asked who they though was motm he said "swifty" sums it up I reckon from the reports on here, Unfortunately I was unable to go although I could have had a free ticket and meal :cry:

Chomper
UTS Veteran

Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:49 pm

Atomic Rooster wrote:As dickie said a bad day at the office i think to many had a off day only gerrard,holmes and taundry when he came can hold there head up today if is any consolation with todays performance is dickie now knows we need a centre half and a creative midfielder not before the deadline before tuesday

Actually I thought Deeney did okay when he came on as well. Certainly more than Moore did.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:54 pm

Disappointed by the result, and thought we could have done more than that. Put it down as one of those blips, but it'll make for a nervous end to the season if we're buckling under pressure from clubs whose aspirations and expectations are no higher than our own.

If we're going to talk about the conditions as well as their tactics, though, we'd best buck our ideas up for Tuesday which could be atrocious. About time we made the weather work for us.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:11 am

A very simplistic view is that we've sold a terrific centre half and not replaced him at all, and we've lost Ricketts and bought Moore in.

Two of the reasons we'd got so high in the league, our excellent defence and our experienced classy strikers, have been dismantled. Mooney looked disinterested, Ricketts is gone, Fox and Dann have been sold. Is it any wonder we struggle at home?

Will
UTS Regular

Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:44 am

Thought we were pretty mediocre Saturday - nobody performed particularly badly, just lots of players not playing well. Started fairly brightly with a few chances which didn't come off. Roper was having a 'mare early on though and was badly at fault for the first. Continued to look ropey but settled down to his plodding reliable self after a while (definitely need a replacement ASAP - not good enough at this level - or not match fit/sharp). All credit to Northampton, I thought they came to the game a lot more up for it, more committed, more energetic, better organised and superior to us in all areas. Akinfenwa (?) while not being a brilliant player had a great game, put himself about, intimidated and got what he deserved.
We didn't really start playing until about 60 minutes in, after which we looked okay but it was too little too late.
Good reality check for the fans and players though - we're overperforming this season and it's a much better season than we could've expected. Saturday reminds us that we're not that great after all. We've got some great results but often through hard graft and luck - and hard work catches up with players in the long run, especially if they're young lads. Glass is still half full though. Hopefully we've had a kick up the jacksy and will do better in the next few games. Always seem to do okay against Forest and might rise to the occasion for Leeds. Still in with a playoff shout.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:08 pm

philthesaddler wrote:A very simplistic view is that we've sold a terrific centre half and not replaced him at all, and we've lost Ricketts and bought Moore in.

Two of the reasons we'd got so high in the league, our excellent defence and our experienced classy strikers, have been dismantled. Mooney looked disinterested, Ricketts is gone, Fox and Dann have been sold. Is it any wonder we struggle at home?

I'll agree with parts of that Phil.

On the defence, I know that Roper has been solid and put in a good shift - and away from home that's about all you want from your centre halves. Chances are that the home team will have more possession and you need centre halves who can deal with incoming balls and clear the lines. With the exception of yesterday, Roper has been doing this well.

I made the point when Dann left that I thought we'd miss him more when we had the ball than when we didn't. We have lost some of our fluency and our ability to acually play the ball from the back, or across the back line. Away from home, it doesn't really figure, but it does at The Banks's.

Bradley and Wrack were off form, and again in my view the lack of a simple ball from the back makes it harder for them to become involved in a meaningful way.

Disappointed with the result, but I agree with others in that Tuesday represents the ideal opportunity to get back on the horse and put it behind us. Maybe a case for a couple of changes in the starting eleven?

dinkydotsaddler
UTS Regular

Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:33 pm

sid swifty wrote:Dont panic guys....we would have settled for a mid-table season before the season started....we've no right being that high up anyway so if we don't do it this season then i am sure we will next season.....keep the faith... :wink: ....(And i will say it before anyone else...."and this from a bloke who doesn't go and watch very often")... :twisted:

Taking the p*** I hope!!!!

Chomper
UTS Veteran

Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:16 pm

I think the treatment of Bradley has been a bit unfair from some. This was his first game back after an ankle injury that hadn't properly cleared up for the past 2 months. I wouldn't say he was off form, more that he's not match fit (or even fit) yet.

PreviousNext
Return to 2007-08 Season