Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Northampton Town Part 4 (H) League 1 Saturday 8/3/08

Reports and reaction from the 2007-08 season as Walsall finished 12th in League 1
Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Re: Northampton Town Part 4 (H) League 1 Saturday 8/3/08

Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:51 pm

A very rare occurance under Money, when so many players have off days. I expect it to stay as a rare occurence. A game to write off then move onto the next one. A loss we could have done without but on the peversely positive side a timely kick up the behind just when it's needed most.

S**t happens, you scrape it off your shoe then carry on.

PS - I did say Roper always struggles with Akinfenwa, as did others. This should have been recognised by those in charge before the match and changes made accordingly.

PPS - I also did say that last year that Mooney will fade in the second half of the season once he's done his badge kissing and scored goals in the first of the season to get hero worship status and a new contract for next season. Well the contract isn't there Mr Mooney and won't be until you sort yourself out.

Duke
Site Addict

Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:08 pm

saw the goals for the first time tonight , many point the finger at Roper for the first , but what on earth was Ince doing so far off his line :?

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:14 pm

Duke wrote:saw the goals for the first time tonight , many point the finger at Roper for the first , but what on earth was Ince doing so far off his line :?

No mans land a bit. Can't take away the good finish though and the fact that none of our defenders could handle Akinfenwa. He's one of those players unfortunately. If he was a foot taller Ropes wouldn't have a problem as he'll beat anyone aerially but his body strength is difficult to deal with. Gerrard didn't fare much better when he tried. If Holmes hadn't been trying to take on 10 men every time he got the ball and kept losing it and all of Bradley and Wrack's passes hadn't gone to the opposition then the defence wouldn't have been under so much pressure from akinfenwa. And it Mooney had his interested head on then we'd have won 4-2!

Just one of them days. They often occur when in front of a big, expectant crowd. It's WFC's way of saying we're happy with 5,000 fans. :lol:

tinned
Site Addict

Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:18 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:A loss we could have done without but on the peversely positive side a timely kick up the behind just when it's needed most.

That's what I've been trying to console my self with all weekend. If it's the gentle reminder that re-ignites our season then it may have done more good than harm. We'll see.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:19 pm

Duke wrote:............ many point the finger at Roper for the first , but what on earth was Ince doing so far off his line :?

Agreed, Duke. If anything, I would say that Ince was even more at fault than Roper - awful goalkeeping!

Duke
Site Addict

Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:25 pm

Pedagogue wrote:
Duke wrote:............ many point the finger at Roper for the first , but what on earth was Ince doing so far off his line :?

Agreed, Duke. If anything, I would say that Ince was even more at fault than Roper - awful goalkeeping!

you were spot on with your prediction that Akinfenwa would cause us problems , he's a big awkward so and so.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:47 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:
booster cogburn wrote:We are sounding a bit too cocky for my liking.
We should win this one but by all accounts Northampton have improved immensely from that awful hoof-it pub team we played 3 times earlier in the season. A scraped, ugly 1-0 will do me but I wouldn't be too surprised if we dropped points.

This time we can have no excuses for a sub-6k crowd either. First home game for a month, we've been winning, and no other local league teams in action.

I agree. It won't be easy at all. I fancy us more in the tough away games because we rise to the challenge. It's in games like these where we're expected to win that we haven't always done so. Northampton are doing well recently and are chasing a play off spot themselves, and Akinfenwa is one of the few players Roper struggles to cope with unfortunately.
No excuses for the sub 6k crowd but I think it's unlikely. Hope its a good one though, everyone needs to start getting down there to support the team to a play off place at least.

I don't wish to be arrogant.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:50 am

claret-cobbler wrote:Walsall 0 2 Norhampton Town FC
Scorers: Akinfenwa, Coke

Att: 6478 (away: 1102)

Temp 11c with slight wind, dry motorway and pitch

Close but no cigar, just 3 points instead. :|

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:59 am

Pedagogue wrote:

Well now, I'm going to go the other way and defend Ince on this one.

The ball was hoofed long.....Roper was chasing back towards his own goal. Ince saw this and moved off his line anticipating a situation where Roper would be looking to head it back to him.

If Ince had stayed on his line and Roper had headed back, Akinfenwa would have nipped in and got the ball and everyone would be moaning about Ince staying on his line.

The part of the plan that went wrong was that Roper was pushed/outmuscled by Akinfenwa, leaving Ince stranded. It STILL left the striker with a fair bit to do, but he did it in style.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:16 pm

ShropsSaddler wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:

Well now, I'm going to go the other way and defend Ince on this one.

The ball was hoofed long.....Roper was chasing back towards his own goal. Ince saw this and moved off his line anticipating a situation where Roper would be looking to head it back to him.

If Ince had stayed on his line and Roper had headed back, Akinfenwa would have nipped in and got the ball and everyone would be moaning about Ince staying on his line.

The part of the plan that went wrong was that Roper was pushed/outmuscled by Akinfenwa, leaving Ince stranded. It STILL left the striker with a fair bit to do, but he did it in style.

I think they were both pretty much equally at fault to be honest. Roper was never really likely to be able to head the ball back to Ince from that area of the pitch with Akinfenwa pressuring him, so Ince should have stayed back to make it a tough chance even if Roper did lose the tussle. If Roper had headed the ball back then I wouldn't have moaned at Ince, but at Roper for trying to be clever when a more basic header away from goal was all that was needed. However, none of that should have mattered really. Roper should just have dealt with what was really a bread-and-butter punt up the pitch.

Previous
Return to 2007-08 Season