Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Reserves v. Leicester City 26/2/08

Reports and reaction from the 2007-08 season as Walsall finished 12th in League 1
Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Reserves v. Leicester City 26/2/08

Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:07 am

As the club has so kindly brought the kick-off forward from 7-00 p.m. to 2-00 p.m. (Thanks, Roy!), I will now not be able to go to the game, owing to the necessity of earning some money. Could anyone who does go please post the details on this thread? Thanks.

Duke
Site Addict

Re: Reserves v. Leicester City 26/2/08

Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:13 am

Leicester could field a couple of useful stikers Barry Hayles and Matt Fryatt . a good work out for Manny Smith.

Mike T.
UTS Veteran

Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:42 am

I think there might be a bit of interest in a striker hopefully appearing for us this afternoon :)

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:44 am

Mike T. wrote:I think there might be a bit of interest in a striker hopefully appearing for us this afternoon :)

Don't be coy - spill the beans!

Duke
Site Addict

Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:11 pm

Mike T. wrote:I think there might be a bit of interest in a striker hopefully appearing for us this afternoon :)

Player X :D

retired

Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:18 pm

Am going to the match today but am wondering what is going to happen to our former youth players and present youth players when they seem unable to get a agame in the reserves. we now have a squad of 1 st team players that dont get games and that means even those on the fringe do not get a game which cannot be good for their confidence or progress. I know this is a great position for the club to be in but I hope Richard Money realises that those who are in the youth and those of the fringe macca smith davies hanna need to know that they are part of the Walsall set up if not now perhaps in the future.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:24 pm

retired wrote:Am going to the match today but am wondering what is going to happen to our former youth players and present youth players when they seem unable to get a agame in the reserves. we now have a squad of 1 st team players that dont get games and that means even those on the fringe do not get a game which cannot be good for their confidence or progress. I know this is a great position for the club to be in but I hope Richard Money realises that those who are in the youth and those of the fringe macca smith davies hanna need to know that they are part of the Walsall set up if not now perhaps in the future.

That's nonsense. Smith's captain of the reserve side and the last line-up was: Bossu, Davies, Smith (c), Schwarz, Sansara, McDermott, Dobson, N'Dour (Schwarz), Demontagnac, Hanna (Ravenhill), Harris (Jones). Unused subs: Bacchus, Davies. How many of those are first team players who can't get a game or even over the age of 21? Three maybe (four if you count Ishmel, although he's the same age as most of the rest)? All of the players that you mentioned started the game, and the one before it, and the one before that. I bet that they all start today too.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:13 pm

retired wrote:Am going to the match today but am wondering what is going to happen to our former youth players and present youth players when they seem unable to get a agame in the reserves. we now have a squad of 1 st team players that dont get games and that means even those on the fringe do not get a game which cannot be good for their confidence or progress. I know this is a great position for the club to be in but I hope Richard Money realises that those who are in the youth and those of the fringe macca smith davies hanna need to know that they are part of the Walsall set up if not now perhaps in the future.

Yadda yadda yadda. More rubbish from your keyboard.

If you don't realise that the youth players currently at the club have the best chance of any period to progress under a Walsall manager then you may as well give up your moaning about everything to do with WFC and support James McKeown at Peterborough. Oh, hang on they kicked him out didn't they?

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:16 pm

James McKeown moved to Peterborough allegedly in search of first-team football. Obviously, he was just in search of money and the long contract that we sensibly didn't offer him. For while James has seen his football ambitions reach the lofty heights of Kettering and Worcester, Posh have spent huge money on bringing in a new young first-team keeper. And Walsall have given first-team starts to young players Dann, Fox, Gerrard, Bradley, Deeney, Demontagnac, Nicholls and Taundry. Two of those have earned big-money moves to the Championship. Today's reserve team includes four of those players, along with fellow kids Smith, Sensara and McDermott. Retired's tiresome argument that Richard Money does not give suitable opportunities to young players deserves nothing but contempt.

retired

Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:23 pm

Ruffled your feathers again

Mcweun does not come into this stop harping on the past good luck to him where ever he is

what I was saying is this time last year the youth were playing in the reserves does not appear to be the same this year as I said before nice position for walsall to be in but feel concernred for the others. No one is moaning abot Richard Money and I am beginning to wonder whther you pair run his fan club or is it in your nature to be pedantic and unable to let any others make comments....

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:29 pm

retired wrote:Ruffled your feathers again

Mcweun does not come into this stop harping on the past good luck to him where ever he is

what I was saying is this time last year the youth were playing in the reserves does not appear to be the same this year as I said before nice position for walsall to be in but feel concernred for the others. No one is moaning abot Richard Money and I am beginning to wonder whther you pair run his fan club or is it in your nature to be pedantic and unable to let any others make comments....

The youth who were in the reserves this time last year are mostly in the first team this time round (Deeney, Nicholls, Taundry, Bradley). Other than that, the four players you picked out for special mention as missing out on their chances in the reserves have all played in each of the reserve games in 2008. Exactly which players do you feel are missing out on a chance to play reserve team football? Gilmartin's about the only one I'd be worried for.

You can make as many comments as you like, but while they are full of inaccuracies I will continue to point them out for you.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:50 pm

retired wrote:last year the youth were playing in the reserves. (It) does not appear to be the same this year

Top reserve apps (subs) this year
Bertrand Bossu 13
Richard Taundry 13
Manny Smith 13
Netan Sansara 12
David McDermott 12
Alex Nicholls 12
Charlton Davies 10 (1)

Troy Deeney 10
Joao Batista Mawete 10
Chris Hanna 4 (6)
Ian Roper 8
Harry Harris 3 (5)
I've highlighted the youth team products for you.

retired

Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:53 pm

Am going to the game now

Our youth team of last year were playing reserve football last year and as you have said some have now stepped up but for the like of Smith davies hanna sansara macca etc they are still playing reserve football so where does that leave the present day youth team.I am aware that RM is managing a football team and not a creche I was passing comments nothing more nothing less.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:04 pm

retired wrote:Am going to the game now

Our youth team of last year were playing reserve football last year and as you have said some have now stepped up but for the like of Smith davies hanna sansara macca etc they are still playing reserve football so where does that leave the present day youth team.I am aware that RM is managing a football team and not a creche I was passing comments nothing more nothing less.

Sounded more like criticisms than comments. Anyhow, the five you mention are still young and still a big part of the reserves. They are obviously foremost in RM's plans but they aren't ready for the first team yet, clearly. They are not blocking the progress of the present day youth team, who have the u-18 matches in which to prove themselves before being offered a pro deal or released. I think you need to realise that RM is not just 'managing a football team' but looking after the long-term future of the club. If you need evidence of that then I will point you in the direction of Mark Bradley, Richard Taundry, Alex Nicholls and Troy Deeney.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:31 pm

retired wrote:Ruffled your feathers again

Not at all. I'm just happy to point out how uninformed and ridiculous your comments are. I don't know why I bother though, it's obvious to everyone.

retired wrote:Mcweun does not come into this stop harping on the past good luck to him where ever he is

He does come into it because it was you who was trying to use McKeown as a way to criticise the club like you always do. He's in the past and is doing nothing because Money was quite right to let him go because he wasn't good enough even though you were suggesting he should be in the first team squad!

If you're going to constantly criticise the club at least think about your poorly constructed arguments first.

Kiansmom
Site Addict

Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:10 pm

Was hoping to go to this, but son number is ill AGAIN :(

concretehippo

Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:42 pm

For the record, Money has said he will only play the youth team in reserve games because he doesn't want to risk anyone who might be needed in the first team picking up an injury.

This includes Bossu who can't get into the first team while Clayton is in such fine form and can't play in the reserve games because he might get injured.

This will be the case as long as we have a chance of making the play-offs.

PH, when was that last reserve game played? As the above was correct as of the last week in January.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:43 pm

Kiansmom wrote:Was hoping to go to this, but son number is ill AGAIN :(

Pot noodles aint healthy.

Mike T.
UTS Veteran

Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:58 pm

concretehippo wrote:For the record, Money has said he will only play the youth team in reserve games because he doesn't want to risk anyone who might be needed in the first team picking up an injury.

This includes Bossu who can't get into the first team while Clayton is in such fine form and can't play in the reserve games because he might get injured.

PH, when was that last reserve game played? As the above was correct as of the last week in January.

The last reserve game was played in half term week against Huddersfield (we won 2-1 see the thread) - and Bossu played in goal so I dont quite understand your comment above.

Bossu played this afternoon as we lost 1-0 to what looks to be a strong Leicester side as recorded on the official site. We lost to a late goal 2 minutes from time after Ishy missed a first half penalty.

Bossu's name features prominently in the report as does Stefan Moore's - but without an overall comment as to the latter's performance or likelihood of winning a contract.

TofDover
UTS Regular

Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:38 pm

I thought L Moore would be playing, I must have got my wires crossed :?:

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:13 pm

TofDover wrote:I thought L Moore would be playing, I must have got my wires crossed :?:

Why would Albion let their £3.5m signing play in our reserves? :wink:

concretehippo

Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:19 pm

Mike T. wrote:
concretehippo wrote:For the record, Money has said he will only play the youth team in reserve games because he doesn't want to risk anyone who might be needed in the first team picking up an injury.

The last reserve game was played in half term week against Huddersfield (we won 2-1 see the thread) - and Bossu played in goal so I dont quite understand your comment above.

Bossu played this afternoon as we lost 1-0 to what looks to be a strong Leicester side as recorded on the official site. We lost to a late goal 2 minutes from time after Ishy missed a first half penalty.

Bossu's name features prominently in the report as does Stefan Moore's - but without an overall comment as to the latter's performance or likelihood of winning a contract.

Interesting, must have changed tac as that is what was decided in January according to Bertrand.

Mike T.
UTS Veteran

Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:57 pm

TofDover wrote:I thought L Moore would be playing, I must have got my wires crossed :?:

Is that meant to be a wind-up/wooosh :?:

TofDover
UTS Regular

Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:37 pm

Sky sports mentioned it yesterday

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:26 am

Jim McDonald

Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:52 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
Kiansmom wrote:Was hoping to go to this, but son number is ill AGAIN :(

Pot noodles aint healthy.

Jim Mc :D onal :shock: Here.

What is this pot noodle you talk of ? Never heard of it. I eat Betty's hot pot every night of the week so I do, and it never did me any harm.

Return to 2007-08 Season