Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Luton Town (A) League 1 Saturday 1/3/08.

Reports and reaction from the 2007-08 season as Walsall finished 12th in League 1
admin
Site Admin

Re: Luton Town (A) League 1 Saturday 1/3/08.

Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:46 pm

If you were sitting behind the goal, you might have said that it was a dreadful miss by Mooney. Luckily, it didn't prove costly as Luton didn't have much of a clue in attack.

Fair point - whisper it quietly but admin was in the directors box.

And all those who have called luton a shithole / dive face life ban from UTS (I'm joking of course, you're 80% right), years of neglect from the Council, plus Vauxhall screwing the town, have left a lot of problems but admin lives here now so things can only get better! All part of a grand master plan - London in my 20s, Luton in my 30s, then Walsall when I hit 40 and take the Saddlers over.

sid swifty
Glitterati

Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:49 pm

Duke wrote:The games that look easy on paper very often turn out to be he toughest . good professional performance by all accounts
with 2 homes games next things are looking good. DD predicted a tough game once again he was right

WEMBLEY HERE WE COME

Have you got a statue of DD in your back yard that you worship Dave.... :lol:

OldPenkSaddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:07 pm

Very poor game.

Poor,but battling performance.

Three points, thank you very much. Its all that matters on days like these.

Up The Saddlers.

Jeremy Busby
UTS Veteran

Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:44 pm

1-0 wins away from home at the business end of the season is what tropies or playoffs are all about. Clean sheet AGAIN is the best part. Well done to DD and the lads

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:58 pm

sid swifty wrote:This board is dieing on its feet 19 posts on a match day and 4 of those were predictions.....considering how well we are doing the site isnt very busy is it...it should be full of lively debate on match days surely.

Since I stopped posting, there has been nothing worth reading. :)

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:20 pm

They say the sign of a good side is one who can win when playing poorly.
Don't get me wrong, we were far from awful, but we looked off colour. We seemed to start really well and then looked really anxious after the goal. This was summed up by the usually ice cool Boertein often rushing on the ball. He wasn't the only one - nobody seemed to be putting their foot on the ball and picking a pass out.
The back four were defensively excellent. I'll single Weston out for a special mention because he was simply superb. With defending like that across the back, we can always be confident that Ince will rarely be troubled by catching practice from the opposition. For all Luton's possession in the second half, Ince wasn't tested at all.
The midfield looked alright, but nothing special. Holmes showed whenever he got the ball that he's got quality, but we didn't play the ball to his feet enough. As has already been said, he defended really well though. Sonko was having a stinker and was rightly taken off before half time. It was a good job we were a goal up early on though because as everyone knows, Dobson doesn't contribute much creative inspiration. He did play really well when he came on though as he was able to do what he does best - win his headers and break up play. Without him on the pitch, I think we might have struggled a bit more.
Betsy had another decent game but has a habit of holding onto the ball for that bit too long. Looked to have a bit of a spark in the first half though which was pleasing to see.

Considering how little time Moore's been at the club, I was impressed with how well he linked up with Mooney. He's also the first striker we've had in a while who literally plays on the shoulder of the last defender. It's frustrating at times because offside decisions often have to be made, but if he gets one of his runs spot on (as he did today for the goal), that's all we need.

A word on Luton...
Considering how many well-known players they have in their side (Perry, McVeigh, Furlong, Spring, Parkin), it's surprising how uninspired they look. It's been a while since I've seen a team who base their play around one player so much. Matthew Spring ran the show for them in the middle of the park. I know it's easy to say, but he's the sort of player I feel we need regardless of the league we find ourselves in next season. He's certainly too good for Luton.

Willy Nilly
UTS Regular

Location: All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear, and disregards the rest.

Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:30 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:They say the sign of a good side is one who can win when playing poorly.
Don't get me wrong, we were far from awful, but we looked off colour. We seemed to start really well and then looked really anxious after the goal. This was summed up by the usually ice cool Boertein often rushing on the ball. He wasn't the only one - nobody seemed to be putting their foot on the ball and picking a pass out.
The back four were defensively excellent. I'll single Weston out for a special mention because he was simply superb. With defending like that across the back, we can always be confident that Ince will rarely be troubled by catching practice from the opposition. For all Luton's possession in the second half, Ince wasn't tested at all.
The midfield looked alright, but nothing special. Holmes showed whenever he got the ball that he's got quality, but we didn't play the ball to his feet enough. As has already been said, he defended really well though. Sonko was having a stinker and was rightly taken off before half time. It was a good job we were a goal up early on though because as everyone knows, Dobson doesn't contribute much creative inspiration. He did play really well when he came on though as he was able to do what he does best - win his headers and break up play. Without him on the pitch, I think we might have struggled a bit more.
Betsy had another decent game but has a habit of holding onto the ball for that bit too long. Looked to have a bit of a spark in the first half though which was pleasing to see.

Considering how little time Moore's been at the club, I was impressed with how well he linked up with Mooney. He's also the first striker we've had in a while who literally plays on the shoulder of the last defender. It's frustrating at times because offside decisions often have to be made, but if he gets one of his runs spot on (as he did today for the goal), that's all we need.

A word on Luton...
Considering how many well-known players they have in their side (Perry, McVeigh, Furlong, Spring, Parkin), it's surprising how uninspired they look. It's been a while since I've seen a team who base their play around one player so much. Matthew Spring ran the show for them in the middle of the park. I know it's easy to say, but he's the sort of player I feel we need regardless of the league we find ourselves in next season. He's certainly too good for Luton.

Cheesebag's your man, then. If you want a Spring, he'll get it. :mrgreen:

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:32 pm

Thought we were always gonna win the game without really getting out of 2nd gear. Loved the Lewon fans reaction to dancing Kev. Very funny. Even they were more interested in an inflatable rugby ball than their team. :mrgreen:

Finally, I managed to park pretty close, it was in the outskirks of islamabad but luckliy my Discovery3 remained unharmed amongst a plethera of 14 year old Toyotas with leopard skin print seat covers. :P

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:33 pm

Willy Nilly wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:They say the sign of a good side is one who can win when playing poorly.

A word on Luton...

Cheesebag's your man, then. If you want a Spring, he'll get it. :mrgreen:

:mrgreen:

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:34 pm

admin wrote:Fair point - whisper it quietly but admin was in the directors box.

You mean you left us online here unsupervised?
:shock:

You didn't even send a neighbour to check up on us. :roll:

Willy Nilly
UTS Regular

Location: All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear, and disregards the rest.

Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:45 pm

The Lewon fans were certainly quite amusing. Seemed more concerned about getting that rugby ball back than lifting their team to get back into a game they were only 1-0 down in. :?

Parking wasn't a problem for us either, even though we had two 7 seaters to get parked. We used MMF's secret place in Lewon. And, being the car park of a club, reasonably priced refreshments were close at hand. Not too bad getting away at the end of the game, either.

Has to be the most bizzarre away end in the league though. Those 'toilets' were once someone's kitchen, in those terraced houses.

At least they'd taken the gas cooker out, though. :mrgreen:

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:49 pm

Willy Nilly wrote:The Lewon fans were certainly quite amusing. Seemed more concerned about getting that rugby ball back than lifting their team to get back into a game they were only 1-0 down in. :?

Parking wasn't a problem for us either, even though we had two 7 seaters to get parked. We used MMF's secret place in Lewon. And, being the car park of a club, reasonably priced refreshments were close at hand. Not too bad getting away at the end of the game, either.

Has to be the most bizzarre away end in the league though. Those 'toilets' were once someone's kitchen, in those terraced houses.

At least they'd taken the gas cooker out, though. :mrgreen:

I'd forgot about the bizarre enterance, hadn't been for over 10 years....Imagine living in that :shock:

mikey

Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:07 pm

stafflers wrote:
mikey66 wrote:Superb result and an excellent start for Stefan Moore. Well done Super Saddlers!! :D :D

I feel a song coming on! :mrgreen:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keLaL0IR2YY[/youtube]

Yep, I can feel another airing of Love Affair coming on (I did play it last home game btw, didn't you notice Gav? :mrgreen: )

I wonder if they'll let us play it at Wembley* when we win there?

*not withstanding the (distinct) possibility of automatic promotion :mrgreen:

sack

Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:13 pm

rubbish team, rubbish ground, rubbish game, but we won, fantastic.

Burnside
UTS Regular

Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:32 pm

I thought we were going to maul them after the first ten minutes but i think the goal settled us down but riled them up a bit.

Thought everyone at the back did well. Boertin seemed below bar was to keen to hoof it more than usual.

I'm concerned at the lack of defensive cover that Betsy and Holmes give us as opposed to Sweeney and Deeney who were rock solid defensivly. Then again they give us the edge going forward.

Betsy looked our brightest attacking outlet today he aint short of confidence and had a few stormng runs, but none as good as Weston who nearly went all the way George Weah style.

Moore looks like he will be a good signing. You don't get Deeneys energy, or the raw speed of Nicholls, but you do get the finesse (spell?) or Ricketts and a striker who is like shyte of a shovel over 10-15 yards both in the head and on the deck.

Onwards and upwards. Well done Dicky and the lads.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:47 pm

I was just glad to get back in Walsall; Luton is the single worst place I've been so far on my travels. Horrible, horrible place!

As for the game, you can expect not to dominate possession when you go away to a lowly, scrapping side. We did seem to give it away too easily through the center though. Good job Luton couldn't have scored, even if we played until midnight!

Willy Nilly
UTS Regular

Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:54 pm

4143 wrote:I was just glad to get back in Walsall; Luton is the single worst place I've been so far on my travels. Horrible, horrible place!

As for the game, you can expect not to dominate possession when you go away to a lowly, scrapping side. We did seem to give it away too easily through the center though. Good job Luton couldn't have scored, even if we played until midnight!

Center ?? :?

And your address is now; Bentley, USA ?? :mrgreen:

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:57 pm

When you're touch-typing 500 words a minute, you can expect the odd typo. :P

PT
Site Addict

Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:52 pm

Not a great game but a great result.

Thought we held it together well in the face of a very big and physical side. We missed Bradley because without somebody who can put his foot on the ball and use it, Holmes & Betsy don't get any service. Gerrard was my MOTM - immense and played a part in the goal.

Good noisy following today. After two great away wins it's over to the home form for two games. I really hope the town starts to get behind DD and his team.

Finally, car parking in Luton - you need to go into Sainsbury's car park, find the attendant, offer a donation to "charity" (£5 does it) and he will give you a little ticket that excludes you from the "max stay 2hrs, no football parking blah,blah,blah" - handy little boozer next to it as well. Useless info now and I really really hope we don't need to use that knowledge again at all soon.

Long day - happy day.

UTS

Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:00 am

My first and probably last trip to Lewon.....

My word this place was shocking.... as their never been a better case for a purpose ground being built out of town. Shocking town, shocking admission prices, shocking facillities, shocking parking, shocking seating (I know how battery chickens feel now with no leg room), shocking fans (more interested in a blow-up rugby ball and dancing kev).... all in all a though a great result and a great Road out of Luwon.....

Oh and if you take your Father and Nephew next time and have a pre-match walk about in hope of suitable fodder from a Firkins or Greggs mixing it with the locals then dream on..... this place is more like market day in Kandahar and to think it even has its own airport!!!

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:39 am

sid swifty wrote:
Duke wrote:The games that look easy on paper very often turn out to be he toughest . good professional performance by all accounts
with 2 homes games next things are looking good. DD predicted a tough game once again he was right

WEMBLEY HERE WE COME

not quite Sid , but unlike some i find it very hard to knock the man. :wink:

sid swifty
Glitterati

Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:31 am

Duke wrote:
sid swifty wrote:

WEMBLEY HERE WE COME

not quite Sid , but unlike some i find it very hard to knock the man. :wink:

There's a difference between knocking him and nursing a semi everytime his name is mentioned Dave..... :lol: (just kidding mate).

Fish
UTS Veteran

Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:54 pm

1966 wrote:My first and probably last trip to Lewon.....

My word this place was shocking.... as their never been a better case for a purpose ground being built out of town. Shocking town, shocking admission prices, shocking facillities, shocking parking, shocking seating (I know how battery chickens feel now with no leg room), shocking fans (more interested in a blow-up rugby ball and dancing kev).... all in all a though a great result and a great Road out of Luwon.....

Oh and if you take your Father and Nephew next time and have a pre-match walk about in hope of suitable fodder from a Firkins or Greggs mixing it with the locals then dream on..... this place is more like market day in Kandahar and to think it even has its own airport!!!

Must be only me who enjoyed K Rd.

I thought that we were outstanding (for 10 mins).

Despite everything I actually liked the ground. It was good to be in one that was unique and had lots of character and not one of the new sterile identikit stadiums (like the Walkers). The low roof in our end made a great atmosphere. I thought their lot were amusing and the ones I spoke to, really friendly, also.

I have to say though that I don't think that I have ever struggled to concentrate so much at a game. Mainly because the footy was p. poor and the banter was better than the game; Kevin was doing his best to get himself arrested..and I counted 6 Easyjet, 3 Ryanair, 1 Monarch, 1 Silverjet and loads of exective jets taking off from Lewon Airpaw.

bangsection
Site Addict

Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:44 pm

Poor game, below average performance but 6 points from two tricky looking away games without conceding a goal is the kind of form most teams would love to be in at this stage of the season. Luton would probably just about have enough to stay up had they not had the 10 point deduction but I agree that they were pretty toothless up front.

Still, we defended very well with Roper my man of the match. The way he dominated Furlong in the air and on the ground was fantastic - especially as Roper had been the victim of a cynical barge from Furlong early on which was clearly calculated to unsettle/intimidate him. But the fifth Beatle is unflappable! We desperately missed Bradley's drive and creativity in the middle of the park - was Sonko actually injured? It felt like more of a tactical switch to me as Luton were starting to boss things in the centre.

I also like Kenilworth Road - if only for the fantastic atmosphere generated under the tin roof. To be fair, Luton know it's not ideal and have been trying to move for years without success. I wonder if Nick Owen will make a new ground a priority when he takes over. They could play in a stadium patterned like one of his famous TV-AM pullovers. And Anne Diamond looks like she knows a thing or two about pies these days, so she could sort out the catering...

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:06 pm

Give me a "sterile" new stadium than a dump like Luton anyday. :roll:

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:50 pm

Oooh how interesting, Michael Dobson in the mercury given star man.......hmmmmmm

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:25 pm

Wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:Oooh how interesting, Michael Dobson in the mercury given star man.......hmmmmmm

Must have got him confused with Mooney and thought he was doing the jobs of two men. Dobson wasn't rubbish but he offered us nothing that Wrack doesn't provide every match, just with some slightly worse passing to boot. Don't really need him in the 16 any more, certainly not if N'Dour is going to feature. The star men yesterday were so clearly Gerrard and Roper that I can only conclude that the Mercury didn't bother sending a reporter to the match.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:39 pm

Wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:Oooh how interesting, Michael Dobson in the mercury given star man.......hmmmmmm

Why so interesting? It's only the opinion of one local journalist who may or may not know anything about football.

Willy Nilly
UTS Regular

Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:41 pm

Registered Saddler wrote:

Must have got him confused with Mooney and thought he was doing the jobs of two men. Dobson wasn't rubbish but he offered us nothing that Wrack doesn't provide every match, just with some slightly worse passing to boot. Don't really need him in the 16 any more, certainly not if N'Dour is going to feature. The star men yesterday were so clearly Gerrard and Roper that I can only conclude that the Mercury didn't bother sending a reporter to the match.

I think that what a lot of people don't see in Dobson, is what they don't want to see.

Agreed, he doesnt spray 40 yard passes around the field, that's not what he's about, but he does add a lot to the team in games like yesterdays. We got the early goal and, as we weren't playing too well in an attacking sense, had to defend that lead.
Only my opinion, of course, but that's what I think Dobson is good at. Didn't we win a championship last season by often defending leads, with M D in midfield, as captain?

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:50 pm

Willy Nilly wrote:I think that what a lot of people don't see in Dobson, is what they don't want to see.

Agreed, he doesnt spray 40 yard passes around the field, that's not what he's about, but he does add a lot to the team in games like yesterdays. We got the early goal and, as we weren't playing too well in an attacking sense, had to defend that lead.
Only my opinion, of course, but that's what I think Dobson is good at. Didn't we win a championship last season by often defending leads, with M D in midfield, as captain?

In League Two. And you didn't hear me complain. In League One, I think Wrack does everything you need Dobson to do, but is better on the ball. Dobson's height was useful last year but you don't get quite so many long-ball teams like Boston now.

PreviousNext
Return to 2007-08 Season