Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Luton Town (A) League 1 Saturday 1/3/08.

Reports and reaction from the 2007-08 season as Walsall finished 12th in League 1
Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Re: Luton Town (A) League 1 Saturday 1/3/08.

Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:26 am

I can't take this anymore. When are we going to keep clean sheets? We should never have sold Dann and Fox, it's ruined our season.

And up front? Why the hell hasn't Bonser spent some money to bring someone in who could make a difference.

Pathetic. No ambition, we'll never do anything in this league if we can't even compete with the likes of Forest, Leeds, Carlisle, all with smaller crowds than us. I'm gonna start gewin to Wolves.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:28 am

Wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:Oooh how interesting, Michael Dobson in the mercury given star man.......hmmmmmm

:mrgreen:

Funny that because anyone who was there, which I don't believe you were, will tell you that when Dobson came on we sat deeper and invited pressure, as we did last season and on the other occasions he's played this season.

Before he came on we hadn't been brilliant but the ball had mostly been in their half, not after he came on. He did the simple things well as he often does...apart from passing, but it's the overall picture that some of us can see that means he's not good enough at this level and will be released at the end of the season.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:29 am

Willy Nilly wrote:The Lewon fans were certainly quite amusing. Seemed more concerned about getting that rugby ball back than lifting their team to get back into a game they were only 1-0 down in. :?

To be fair Dave. I don't blame them. They're like Walsall fans have been at times. Ignore the inevitable and have fun in the process.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:32 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:
Wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:Oooh how interesting, Michael Dobson in the mercury given star man.......hmmmmmm

Funny that because anyone who was there, which I don't believe you were, will tell you that when Dobson came on we sat deeper and invited pressure, as we did last season and on the other occasions he's played this season.

Before he came on we hadn't been brilliant but the ball had mostly been in their half, not after he came on. He did the simple things well as he often does...apart from passing, but it's the overall picture that some of us can see that means he's not good enough at this level and will be released at the end of the season.

A comment only posted for yourself, and what did you do? Bitey McBitey.

It was only a an observation from a media source which is unbiased of course. Percie also agreed with it, and so have others I had spoken to. Its only your opinion that he was 'poor' or such, the opinion of the person in the merecury matters more I guess.

:D

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:33 am

Bernie wrote:
sid swifty wrote:This board is dieing on its feet 19 posts on a match day and 4 of those were predictions.....considering how well we are doing the site isnt very busy is it...it should be full of lively debate on match days surely.

Since I stopped posting, there has been nothing worth reading. :)

It must be difficult for you to find something to fault DD for now Bernie, so we understand you not having a lot to post about.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:34 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:
Bernie wrote:
sid swifty wrote:This board is dieing on its feet 19 posts on a match day and 4 of those were predictions.....considering how well we are doing the site isnt very busy is it...it should be full of lively debate on match days surely.

Since I stopped posting, there has been nothing worth reading. :)

It must be difficult for you to find something to fault DD for now Bernie, so we understand you not having a lot to post about.

I agree.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:39 am

Wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:

It was only a an observation from a media source which is unbiased of course. Percie also agreed with it, and so have others I had spoken to. Its only your opinion that he was 'poor' or such, the opinion of the person in the merecury matters more I guess.

Yep, I purposely bit because

Percie was kissing his bum as soon as he came on, which coincided with us defending deep. I guess Percie's and the Mercury's opinions are the only one's that count. Media source unbaised? You don't know journalism very well! Let me get this right, the people you have spoken to are right but others aren't? Even the ones who always offer balanced opinions and comments like Registered Saddler above? If anyone who went to the match can disagree with my comment that Dobson did the simple things well but the team didn't look as effective after he was introduced because we were more defensive and invited pressure then I'd like someone to argue that point.

The same point I made all last season, when Dobson plays we are more defensive.

PS - Why are you making quotes up? Where did I say he was 'poor'?

Go on, admit you were wrong about Wright, Constable and now Dobson. I dare you. "Wright isn't good enough for League 2. Neither is Constable, even though both are scoring goals there. Dobson is genius and Wrack isn't, even though Wrack is far more capable than Dobson and has proved it at the higher level which Dobson can't.

sid swifty
Glitterati

Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:09 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:

Percie was kissing his bum as soon as he came on, which coincided with us defending deep. I guess Percie's and the Mercury's opinions are the only one's that count. Media source unbaised? You don't know journalism very well! Let me get this right, the people you have spoken to are right but others aren't? Even the ones who always offer balanced opinions and comments like Registered Saddler above? If anyone who went to the match can disagree with my comment that Dobson did the simple things well but the team didn't look as effective after he was introduced because we were more defensive and invited pressure then I'd like someone to argue that point.

Go on, admit you were wrong about Wright, Constable and now Dobson. I dare you. "Wright isn't good enough for League 2. Neither is Constable, even though both are scoring goals there. Dobson is genius and Wrack isn't, even though Wrack is far more capable than Dobson and has proved it at the higher level which Dobson can't.

"Yep, I purposely bit because"
.....priceless..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Winston Smith
UTS Regular

Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:12 am

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:54 am

sid swifty wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:

To be honest, it's no more ridiculous than Metfan's continuing insistence that every single one of his posts that people disagree with is a fishing expeditions, whereas all the ones that others agree with are examples of his footballing genius. :roll:

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:17 am

sid swifty wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:

Exactly Sid!!

Oh and registered you do not know me at all. Those who do know what I am like, so maybe you need to be informed eh? ;)

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Bernie
UTS Legend

Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:26 pm

I stopped posting when - for a few weeks after the new style board was introduced - all my attempts to post were rejected by the system. Having got out of the habit of posting I have found that I visit the board much less, and do not stay long. I do not seem to be the only one who is much less of a UTS regular.

I suppose that only admin knows the detailed figures for site traffic over the years, but there does appear to have been a big drop in visits to this site.

Assuming the figures for visits to threads are accurate:

In 2005/06 match threads were typically viewed over 20,000 times. The record was over 40,000.

In 2006/07 the average views per match thread appears to be around 10,000. As the season went on this dropped to around 5,000.

This season the average seems to have dropped recently to around 2,500 views per match thread.

It is possible that these figures are not accurate in some way and reflect a different way of counting visits .

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:41 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:

so Hang on, Your saying your opinion matters and Percie's and the Mercury's doesnt? hmmmm. WFC Rob also agrees Dobbo played well and is a useful player to our squad. You cant have it both ways.

Percie
Glitterati

Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:31 pm

Yow'm chatting crap again!

Inviting pressure? I dunno about you but I expect my defensive midfielders to sit slightly deeper than other midfielders, you know, because, well, they'm defending :|. Dobbo came on for a very poor Sonko, who was brought off because he was constantly giving the ball away. That stopped once Dobson came on thus leading to us becoming less over run in midfield, surely sitting deeper and retaining possession invites less pressure than simply giving the ball away?

Yeah! I was bumming him, he deserves to be bummed! He's our clubs only other captain to lift a league title, which quite rightly places him of high regard in Walsall legacy, does it not?

My point is, once you've got it in for someone you have tunnel vision, slightly fickle really, considering the amount of football you watch.

xxx

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:37 pm

Percie wrote:Eggy, yow'm chatting crud again!

Inviting pressure? I dunno about you but I expect my defensive midfielders to sit slightly deeper than other midfielders, you know, because, well, they'm defending :|. Dobbo came on for a very poor Sonko, who was brought off because he was constantly giving the ball away. That stopped once Dobson came on thus leading to us becoming less over run in midfield, surely sitting deeper and retaining possession invites less pressure than simply giving the ball away?

Yeah! I was bumming him, he deserves to be bummed! He's our clubs only other captain to lift a league title, which quite rightly places him of high regard in Walsall legacy, does it not?

My point is, once you've got it in for someone you have tunnel vision, slightly fickle really, considering the amount of football you watch.

xxx

Post of the year! :D

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:41 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:The same point I made all last season, when Dobson plays we are more defensive.

Which is fine because that's exactly what we needed to be.

You've got to take a look at each individual scenario. Scoring after 4 minutes on Saturday was awkward bearing in mind our opposition, who had no choice but to throw everything at us. Sonko had done nothing but get muscled off the ball twice by Spring during his time on the pitch and was correctly replaced. Dobson isn't technically gifted as a footballer, but we need results, not gleaming individual performances. He came on and did what was required - won his headers during the aerial bombardment and generally made life that bit less comfortable for them in the middle of the park.
The 1-0 win and the fact that Ince wasn't really tested suggests that Money got his tactics spot on.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:04 pm

Are you all unable to read? Where did I say Dobson played badly? I'm saying he's not as good as Wrack. Exactly what I was saying last season when all the people defending Dobson above were saying Wrack was past it.

Job done.

Percie
Glitterati

Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:15 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:Are you all unable to read? Where did I say Dobson played badly? I'm saying he's not as good as Wrack. Exactly what I was saying last season when all the people defending Dobson above were saying Wrack was past it.

Job done.

Well, Humpty Dumpty. I for one have never clamined Wrack was "past it." In fact, I quite like Wrack, he's got a bit of an engine nower days, I dunno where he got it from though lol.

I can't seem to find anywhere in my post that I said you refered to Dobson playing badly either? I think its completely unfair to compare Wrack and Dobson anyway, they are different sort of midfielders. It's like comparing Michael Carrick and Paul Scholes, completely different sorts of players!

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:18 pm

Percie wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:Are you all unable to read? Where did I say Dobson played badly? I'm saying he's not as good as Wrack. Exactly what I was saying last season when all the people defending Dobson above were saying Wrack was past it.

Job done.

Well, Humpty Dumpty. I for one have never clamined Wrack was "past it." In fact, I quite like Wrack, he's got a bit of an engine nower days, I dunno where he got it from though lol.

I can't seem to find anywhere in my post that I said you refered to Dobson playing badly either? I think its completely unfair to compare Wrack and Dobson anyway, they are different sort of midfielders. It's like comparing Michael Carrick and Paul Scholes, completely different sorts of players!

Percie, the new voice of reason.

Well said sir.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:21 pm

Bernie wrote:I stopped posting when - for a few weeks after the new style board was introduced - all my attempts to post were rejected by the system. Having got out of the habit of posting I have found that I visit the board much less, and do not stay long. I do not seem to be the only one who is much less of a UTS regular.

I suppose that only admin knows the detailed figures for site traffic over the years, but there does appear to have been a big drop in visits to this site.

In 2005/06 match threads were typically viewed over 20,000 times. The record was over 40,000.

In 2006/07 the average views per match thread appears to be around 10,000. As the season went on this dropped to around 5,000.

This season the average seems to have dropped recently to around 2,500 views per match thread.

It is possible that these figures are not accurate in some way and reflect a different way of counting visits .

Glad to hear from you, Bernie - and with a taste of the stats you revel in. :wink:

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:57 pm

King Crimson wrote:
Bernie wrote:I stopped posting when - for a few weeks after the new style board was introduced - all my attempts to post were rejected by the system. Having got out of the habit of posting I have found that I visit the board much less, and do not stay long. I do not seem to be the only one who is much less of a UTS regular.

Glad to hear from you, Bernie - and with a taste of the stats you revel in. :wink:

You mean NOTFACTS!

Bernie, views aren't counted on a uniue visitor basis, and accrue over the years as they're reviewed by people, so the older the thread, the more views.

A better way of checking the site's popularity would be to check the number of posts on each season's match forum.

2004/2005 season - 1679 posts
2005/2006 season - 5605 posts
2006/2007 season - 9239 posts
2007/2008 season - 9204 posts for season to dte.

Impressive growth!

Bernie
UTS Legend

Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:39 pm

I wonder what proportion of views of a match thread happen months after the matches have been played. Surely the vast majority are going to occur in the days around the fixture, and relatively few will be made months later.

If that is the case then Exile's stats show that while there might be a lot of posts on match threads this season, there are far fewer people actually reading them. So - unless there is some other quirk in the way the views are counted - the figures seem to point to a big decline in readership of the match threads. Certainly the ratio of posts to views has changed from up to nearly 300 views per match thread post for some matches two years ago down to 15 - 20 views per post after some matches last autumn.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:50 pm

Bernie wrote:I wonder what proportion of views of a match thread happen months after the matches have been played. Surely the vast majority are going to occur in the days around the fixture, and relatively few will be made months later.

If that is the case then Exile's stats show that while there might be a lot of posts on match threads this season, there are far fewer people actually reading them.

Do you want to know why that is Bernie? Because a very large proportion of people come to this site to moan, that's why all the busy match threads are when we've lost, or the busiest thread on the board are when we've sold a player etc etc. People revel in it, like you.

When they haven't got anything to moan about they don't post because they've been proven wrong. Even last season when we were winning many, many people were complaining because the football didn't please them even though some of us said that it was a means to getting promotion and we'd see a better standard of football in the higher division.

Guess what? The same people aren't moaning because we're still winning and playing a more attractive game but in a higher division.

You can dress it up how you like but the board is as busy as ever but people only ever go to the effort of writing to be negative. Same as radio phone in shows are always busy when fans moan up to moan about their team losing (or drawing or winning in the case of Wolves fans).

Either that or you are right and there are less people coming onto the site, presumably because hundreds hung themselves when we sold Fox and Dann and they felt they couldn't go on through life without them and having to make do with Ian"clean sheet" Roper.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:38 am

MMF you seem to have misunderstood Exile's point. He has shown that there many more posts on match threads this season than there were two years ago - so your assumption that there are more posts about matches in seasons when we are doing badly is not supported.

On the other hand there are far fewer people reading the posts - two years ago there were usually over 20,000 views of the match thread after each match, with the record reaching 40,000. During that season of many defeats there were 5605 posts on the thread over the whole season.

This season there have already been 9237 posts on the match section of the board, but the average number of visits to each match thread is around 2,000 per match.

If those statistics are correct fewer people bothered to comment on matches when we were having a terrible season two years ago, but very many more people wanted to read what was posted.

Exile
Jobsworth

Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:22 am

Bernie wrote:Fewer people bothered to comment on matches when we were having a terrible season two years ago, but very many more people wanted to read what was posted.

I repeat:

Exile wrote:Bernie, views aren't counted on a unique visitor basis, and accrue over the years as they're reviewed by people, so the older the thread, the more views.

The site's busier than ever - more active users, more hits. Just because you don't bother much any more doesn't mean everyone else is the same.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:34 am

Bernie wrote:MMF you seem to have misunderstood Exile's point. He has shown that there many more posts on match threads this season than there were two years ago - so your assumption that there are more posts about matches in seasons when we are doing badly is not supported.

On the other hand there are far fewer people reading the posts - two years ago there were usually over 20,000 views of the match thread after each match, with the record reaching 40,000. During that season of many defeats there were 5605 posts on the thread over the whole season.

This season there have already been 9237 posts on the match section of the board, but the average number of visits to each match thread is around 2,000 per match.

If those statistics are correct fewer people bothered to comment on matches when we were having a terrible season two years ago, but very many more people wanted to read what was posted.

Keep avoiding the real reasons I mentioned for you not posting. The same reasons for the many others who were posting regularly at the start of the season and aren't posting now. Have a look at the Swansea and Gillingham threads. Lots of names revelling in our results then who have miraculously disappeared. Some returned briefly when Dann anf Fox were sold but now they have seen that a few of us that were predicting it won't affect results have been proven right they have disappeared again.

I guarantee they will suddenly find time and the desire to post when something goes wrong, which it inevitably will supporting any team, something they can't seem to grasp.

Previous
Return to 2007-08 Season