Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Swindon Town (A) League 1 23.02.08

Reports and reaction from the 2007-08 season as Walsall finished 12th in League 1
King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Re: Swindon Town (A) League 1 23.02.08

Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:48 am

Cheesebag wrote:Great result

I agree. Beginning to believe.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:12 am

WS1 wrote:
Norfolk_Saddler wrote:we sound well on top, and full of running.

Sounds like we're getting the ball out wide, too. Maybe missing last weekend gave us a good rest.

SW just said Gerrard is on 4 yellows, so I'm praying he can walk this afternoons tightrope. Otherwise it will be Mannie Smith/Loan signing in for next week.

Gerrard has five cautions to his name of which he was banned for one game, he must get another five cautions for another ban (apart from a sending off), and I think it is by the end of March that if he has not got to ten cautions that they are wiped off.

I think that the reason for the confusion is that Soccerbase and the like only record Gerrard as having received four yellow cards to date (I remember a bit of confusion at the time he got banned). He must have picked up one pre-season or in a reserve game. Obviously it's beyond WM to actually follow Walsall very closely and remember his ban over Christmas - although if we do go up then they'll suddenly be our biggest fans... :roll:

sack

Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:28 am

grate game, played so well, thanks lads you were spot on.

WS1
UTS Regular

Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:31 am

Plastic Hawk wrote:
WS1 wrote:

Sounds like we're getting the ball out wide, too. Maybe missing last weekend gave us a good rest.

SW just said Gerrard is on 4 yellows, so I'm praying he can walk this afternoons tightrope. Otherwise it will be Mannie Smith/Loan signing in for next week.

Gerrard has five cautions to his name of which he was banned for one game, he must get another five cautions for another ban (apart from a sending off), and I think it is by the end of March that if he has not got to ten cautions that they are wiped off.

I think that the reason for the confusion is that Soccerbase and the like only record Gerrard as having received four yellow cards to date (I remember a bit of confusion at the time he got banned). He must have picked up one pre-season or in a reserve game. Obviously it's beyond WM to actually follow Walsall very closely and remember his ban over Christmas - although if we do go up then they'll suddenly be our biggest fans... :roll:

All of Gerrards cautions are in league and cup games.

OldPenkSaddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:33 am

Another quite excellent performance from the team and tactics from DD.

I was surprised by Betsy as he held the ball up quite well and got other players involved. I still don't think he's the 20 goal a season player we need but he'll do until the end of the season.

I was more interested in the reaction of Lee Holmes when he scored and after the game when he came over to the fans. He seems to be really enjoying himself playing for us and has already developed an affinity with the supporters.

Being able to sign a player of his consistent abilities IMHO is more important to us that the likes of Ricketts. I think there's more chance of this if we can get into the Championship at this attempt.

The squad is looking a little threadbare on the experience front for the run-in and I personally don't think this 93 day rule garbage holds any water. A bit of ambition shown THIS week from the powers that be may make all the difference to our season.

Up The Saddlers.

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:43 am

King Crimson wrote:
Cheesebag wrote:Great result

I agree. Beginning to believe.

believe KC , Make sure you keep the end of May bank holiday weekend free . :D
what really pleased me are the glowing reports on Roper, always knew he wouldn't let us down .

just saw the goals on the championship , what a ball from Bradley for Holmes's second goal ......magic

addo
UTS Veteran

Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:48 am

OldPenkSaddler wrote:Another quite excellent performance from the team and tactics from DD.

I was surprised by Betsy as he held the ball up quite well and got other players involved. I still don't think he's the 20 goal a season player we need but he'll do until the end of the season.

I was more interested in the reaction of Lee Holmes when he scored and after the game when he came over to the fans. He seems to be really enjoying himself playing for us and has already developed an affinity with the supporters.

Being able to sign a player of his consistent abilities IMHO is more important to us that the likes of Ricketts. I think there's more chance of this if we can get into the Championship at this attempt.

The squad is looking a little threadbare on the experience front for the run-in and I personally don't think this 93 day rule garbage holds any water. A bit of ambition shown THIS week from the powers that be may make all the difference to our season.

Up The Saddlers.

It may not be as difficult as we think.

I found this page which kind of suggests he could be getable.

http://www.thisisswindontownfc.co.uk/di ... n_town.php

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:29 pm

WS1 wrote:
Plastic Hawk wrote:
WS1 wrote:

So why's he only down for four on Soccerbase, yet missed the (first) Millwall FA Cup game banned? Anyway, no matter which games he's been booked in, the fact remains that he's already served a ban for five yellows and not been booked since - so he's five more away from another ban. :wink:

WS1
UTS Regular

Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:45 pm

Plastic Hawk wrote:
WS1 wrote:
Plastic Hawk wrote:
WS1 wrote:

So why's he only down for four on Soccerbase, yet missed the (first) Millwall FA Cup game banned? Anyway, no matter which games he's been booked in, the fact remains that he's already served a ban for five yellows and not been booked since - so he's five more away from another ban. :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: five more before the end of March and a Ban of two games-- :lol: :lol:

WS1
UTS Regular

Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:52 pm

Gerrard Cautioned against the following teams, Cheltenham Town (h), Brighton & Hove Albion (a), Luton Town (h), Leeds United (h), Port Vale (a).

So I am right and Soccerbase is wrong, taken from my records and the official Walsall programme. 8)

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:09 pm

WS1 wrote:Gerrard Cautioned against the following teams, Cheltenham Town (h), Brighton & Hove Albion (a), Luton Town (h), Leeds United (h), Port Vale (a).

So I am right and Soccerbase is wrong, taken from my records and the official Walsall programme. 8)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Seeing as he got banned I think it was always likely that there was a fifth booking floating around! It does explain WM's confusion though - seeing as they don't bother much with us they'll have got their stats off the net rather than from paying attention during our games. :wink:

He'll have to make a special effort to get five yellows between now and the end of March, so hopefully he's safe from another ban this season. Obviously Roper's miles away too, so with a bit of luck our lack of centre back cover might not be too expensive.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:32 pm

We'll never keep clean sheets after selling Fox and Dann. Roper just aye good enough.

Scoring goals? No chance. We need some strikers and quick. Why don't we break the bank and sign Ricketts and Berbatov on 5 year contracts cos these kids aren't good enough. As for midfield, we can't keep relying on Bradley and Wrack.

Believe.

Gaz the Train
UTS Veteran

Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:53 pm

addo wrote:
OldPenkSaddler wrote:Another quite excellent performance from the team and tactics from DD.

Up The Saddlers.

I'm sure I remember DD hinting that he was the kind of loan signing we were after, someone who could bpossibly be signed up in the summer permanantly

cal wfc fan
UTS Regular

Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:49 am

Did anyone hear the interview on BBC Swindon with the Swindon manager after the match? He said his teams performance wasn't up to standard....and then added "Walsall didn't play well at all either" :shock: :roll: Another case of sour grapes eh?

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:40 am

addo wrote:

Up The Saddlers.

Awful pun in the headline - worthy of this site. Did any of you read the comments afterwards? Hilarious!

Duke
Site Addict

Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:26 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:We'll never keep clean sheets after selling Fox and Dann. Roper just aye good enough.

Scoring goals? No chance. We need some strikers and quick. Why don't we break the bank and sign Ricketts and Berbatov on 5 year contracts cos these kids aren't good enough. As for midfield, we can't keep relying on Bradley and Wrack.

Believe.

:lol: :mrgreen:

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:49 am

cal wfc fan wrote:Did anyone hear the interview on BBC Swindon with the Swindon manager after the match? He said his teams performance wasn't up to standard....and then added "Walsall didn't play well at all either" :shock: :roll: Another case of sour grapes eh?

Yeovil's Russell Slade made similar comments recently and look what has happened to them :wink:

Duke
Site Addict

Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:56 pm

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:21 pm

BathSaddler wrote:
cal wfc fan wrote:Did anyone hear the interview on BBC Swindon with the Swindon manager after the match? He said his teams performance wasn't up to standard....and then added "Walsall didn't play well at all either" :shock: :roll: Another case of sour grapes eh?

Yeovil's Russell Slade made similar comments recently and look what has happened to them :wink:

It was the same all last season. You think they'd learn wouldn't you?

Duke
Site Addict

Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:18 pm

how can you win away 3-0 and not play well :roll:

Previous
Return to 2007-08 Season