Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Swindon Town (A) League 1 23.02.08

Reports and reaction from the 2007-08 season as Walsall finished 12th in League 1
Zece_WFC
UTS Regular

Re: Swindon Town (A) League 1 23.02.08

Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:52 pm

Get in!!!!

:lol:

Norfolk_Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:52 pm

Jolly Johnny wrote:
Norfolk_Saddler wrote:Bradley stretchered off. Bad tackle, which uncle Mick described as "a borederline red card".

Hope it's not as bad as Eduardo's earlier on. :? :(

Celebrate 2000 posts with a win! Like it.
:lol:

Goose277
Glitterati

Location: One morning I shot an elephant in my pyjamas. How he got in my pyjamas, I don't know

Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:53 pm

Pleased for the lad, he's been playing well lately. Great result

:D :D :D :D

Thanks for the updates Norfolk, top notch as per usual.

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:55 pm

Cracking result. Yet another clean sheet too.

How anyone can criticise Ince is beyond me.

Walsall Supporter

Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:59 pm

Brilliant win away, well done the lads!!

Mike T.
UTS Veteran

Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:04 pm

Superb!! Now I am sure we wont be relegated this year :wink: Just when you think the lack of depth in the squad is going to catch up with us Dickie and the lads prove me wrong again :oops: Where might we end up if we ever sign those 2 extra players.

tape66
UTS Legend

Location: Solid steel visor riveted across his eyes, Iron staples close his jaws so no one hears his cries.

Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:05 pm

Superb result. Well done Walsall, onwards and upwards.

Zece_WFC
UTS Regular

Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:07 pm

Passed the 50 points mark aswell....... We are staying up say we are staying up! :lol:

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:12 pm

Superb result . brilliant performance .
well done lads , well done DD :D

UP THE SADDLERS

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:13 pm

Good result, just need all the others at the top to start losing! Leeds are dropping nicely :mrgreen:

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:24 pm

Fantastic result. Bet nobody predicted that.

Up to 5th in table 52 pts

Another match out the way

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:25 pm

Great result

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:37 pm

Absolutely fantastic result. I'd said I thought we were going to have to start scoring more goals just hours before we came away with a 3-0. Sounds like we played some decent stuff going forward and were able to bring on fresh legs to see the result through.
Lee Holmes is a real threat whenever he plays and it sounds like Betsy had an impressive game too. Our recently depleted defence kept a clean sheet, which is obviously pleasing away from home.

Oh yeah..........and we're now safe from relegation for sure. :D

North Staffs Saddler
UTS Regular

Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:14 pm

Jorge14 wrote:Cracking result. Yet another clean sheet too.

Or Roper :?

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:33 pm

Didnt expect that in a month of Sundays! What a result, probably reuslt of the season so far- especially considering our form of late.

Its obvious the break did us well, two players in before next weekend and bring on those play-offs! :wink:

Well done DD and the boys.

jeffsmate
UTS Veteran

Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:38 pm

Asps wrote:Fantastic result. Bet nobody predicted that.

Up to 5th in table 52 pts

Another match out the way

Actually, Big Baz 1 predicted it.

bangsection
Site Addict

Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:39 pm

Has DD been on WM yet or are they all too busy with their pocket calculators trying to work out whether Wolves can still win the title?

Sounds like a 'best performance since I've been at the club' type of post-match interview to me. We've had a few of those this season. Fantastic result. :D

Gaz the Train
UTS Veteran

Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:46 pm

Tremendous result, put a smile on my face that did after a bad week.

That ones for you Grandad, hope you saw it from up there, Rest in Peace and God bless, i'm gonna miss you

UTS

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:55 pm

Sounds like a fabulous win. I'm delighted. I really think we're on a roll now. Two recent narrow defeats at the hands of two of the teams above us but we can really do something now those two are out of the way.

Bring on dirty Leeds!

Come on you Saddlers! :D

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:25 pm

Great result, great performance. Can't ask any more than to go away from home against a top half team and absolutely play them off the park. It could easily have been much more than 3-0. I've absolutely no idea why Mooney's first minute goal was given offside - he looked to come from at least a yard behind the defender - and we could have been further ahead by half time even without that.

It's difficult to single out anyone for special praise as they were all excellent, but I thought that Bradley coming back into the middle of the park made a massive difference. He really gets about the park, and links up the play much better than Sonko does when he plays there (although Eddie's a winger really - and had a decent game out there today). Roper was also very good at the back. Obviously we still need to bring in cover, but if he can keep that up (and if Gerrard's distribution is consistently as good as it was today) then we won't miss Dann. Betsy's pace made a big difference up front - really stretched the game and meant that we created more chances than we have done all season. Certainly makes the arrival of Moore (who will hopefully be a better finisher than Betsy) intriguing.

Bit of a shame that Southend won, but with Orient losing and Tranmere drawing that's another place higher up the table and another point clear of 7th place. With the promised reinforcements hopefully arriving this week then we're still looking very good for that play-off place - especially as we've already played seven of the eight games against the four teams above us (only Forest away to go).

Maverick
UTS Veteran

Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:43 pm

Graet performance,Great win.

One minor downside,I backed Mooney to score the 1st goal at a healthy 7-1 ........ :evil:

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:48 pm

North Staffs Saddler wrote:
Jorge14 wrote:Cracking result. Yet another clean sheet too.

Or Roper :?

I'll hold my hands up and say that the big man has proved me wrong. I thought we might falter on the back of Dann going out and Ropes taking his place but he has scarcely but a foot wrong since returning to the team. Sounds like a fantastic performance today - if we can follow it up with another next week then we'll be right back in with a shot at second place behind Swansea.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:10 pm

Brillant day , Brillant game and a brillant results. Had a nice pint in the air balloon again today, brought back some top memories from nine months ago. Betsy was excellent today even if the end product wasnt there, wrack i thought was off colour again, bradley worked hard and gives the midfield so much more mobility, however his injury looked serious, you could see him rolling around for ages, with his hed lifting up asif he was really in a lot of pain.. not good news. Mooney looked tired but still worked hard, the abck 4 was excellent, namely gerrard who produced a goal saving tackle in the first half, ince was good and always looked in control, made one good late save of a volley,sonko was good but not brillant... oh and holmesy... by far the best player on the pitch, a cultured left food, pace,and an eye for goal, something perfect for this league. 2nd place tonight doesn't look so far away.

Decent atmosphere again today, not the best but not bad for the 500ish who travelled, im looking forward to kenilworht next week , the city ground and elland road in a few weeks to come..

Imo

UTS.

Graydon48
Glitterati

Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:14 pm

That was a fantastic performance today, best I've seen us play all season.
Had my doubts when DD keeps saying he's happy with the squad we have but today to me confirmed we really are promotion contenders.
This was a big win in the way we played and also puts paid to Swindon's chances of catching us.
One downside Bradley's injury, anybody heard how he is ? how their player only got a Yellow for that challenge is a disgrace and then their fans booing as he was stretchered off was also disgraceful..
Apart from that a good afternoon despite 2 confusing encounters with the MagicRoundabout.

Surrey Saddler
Glitterati

Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:49 pm

A great result for the lads today. And, I rather suspect we won 4 -0. After no more than 30 seconds, Mooney got on the end of a cross from the right and headed the ball into the back of the net, only for the linesman to flag for off side. From where all the Saddlers fans were sitting it was difficult to object - but more on that later. Then, no more than ten or so minutes later we got a free kick in a promising position. But, as Andy Smith and me agreed, we never score off set pieces. Not until Lee Holmes became a Saddler, though. He stepped up and buried it like Beckham into the far corner of the net giving the keeper no chance. We were all over Swindon for the first 20 minutes and could have gone further ahead. It then got a bit scrappy for the rest of the half with rather too much head tennis.
We needed a second and soon in the second half we got one, courtesy of that man (man of the match without a doubt) Lee Holmes. He was through, the shot rebounded off the keeper, and Holmes was on hand to slot it home.
Everyone played well. The back four were solid and Ropes did a splendid job - his usual reliable self. Mooney ran his socks off as ever and linked up nicely with Betsty.
But back to the linesman. In the second half I was level with a number of so called off sides and all I can say is that the guy needs to visit a good optician.
It was a pity and the only black spot on an excellent day when Bradley went off with what looked like a bad injury.
We got a third in the last few minutes - another rebound of the keeper to round off a superb afternoon.
Up the Saddlers

deanonev69
Glitterati

Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:31 pm

Just got back now-damn trains and a stop at Cardiff Central was eventful-don't believe it when people say how footbal fans should take a look at rugby fans-bunch of @rses!

What a thoroughly good performance that was today. Was hopeful of getting a point at best from that today but from first minute to last felt we was in control, right from Mooney's disallowed goal to Nicholl's third. Even when Swindon had some possession, Roper and Gerrard were immense.

Betsy was a totally different player to one i saw against Yeovil and Swansea. Holmes looks quality-sad to say it but don't think we've got any chance of keeping him. Only downside was Bradley's injury-looked solid again today, thought a real good return from injury.

Oh and if those stewards thought we were bad today, just wait until next week vs. Leeds!!! Overzealous or what??

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:40 pm

Surrey Saddler wrote:we never score off set pieces.

Danny Fox has been forgotten already?

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:54 pm

Registered Saddler wrote:
Surrey Saddler wrote:we never score off set pieces.

Danny Fox has been forgotten already?

Who?

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:57 pm

Excellent performance, as convincing an away win as you will ever see. A good first 20 minutes, including a first minute 'goal' by Mooney and a superb Holmes free kick, was followed by a very mediocre second quarter where neither side created anything.

I really expected Swindon to come out at us, but it never materialised. Holmes and Betsy in particular tormented them, and it was no surprise when both of them, along with Bradley, was instrumental in the second. After that, it was a case of keeping our heads. The referee 'bottled it' on a number of occasions, with challenges by a couple of home players in particular resulting only in bookings. How the player that decked Bradley stayed on the pitch I will never know. What disturbed me most was the attitude of the home fans when Bradley was stretchered off - it is customary at such instances for there to be a smattering of respectful applause. From what I could see, there was none. Pretty graceless, if you ask me.

The third was a only a matter of time, Nicholls expertly tapping in when Betsy's shot was smothered.

Interesting to talk to a few Swindon fans on the way back to the station and on the train back to Bath. None of them thought that there was anything wrong with Mooney's header [from where we were it was impossible to know one way or the other, but these were fans who were far better positioned than us to make a judgement]. They are not happy with Malpas, but thought that we were 'solid', played well as a unit and could have won by considerably more. We overheard a few Swindon 'old timers' mutter amongst themselves that "the referee favoured them". Just goes to show how one-eyed all us supporters can be. The truth was he was incompetent for both sides IMO.

Ince - only one real save to make and that was in injury time. Commanded his box well.
Weston - solid
Boertien - Solid
Gerrard - solid, distributed well
Roper - solid, distributed not so well, but did the simple things well
Sonko - had his moments
Wrack - okay, but some of his freekicks left a lot to be desired
Bradley - Got better as the game wore on until fouled out of the game
Holmes - sheer class, will be in Derby's first team in the Championship next season
Betsy - started well and ended well, tends to 'swan about the place' a bit tho, superb first minute cross for Mooney's 'goal'
Mooney - enjoyed winding up the home crowd and inspired his team-mates when necessary, unlucky with the disallowed goal

N'dour - a couple of good touches
Nicholls - excellent, a confident finish
Deeney - solid

Well chuffed tonight. More confident than ever that a play off place is definetly on.

WS1
UTS Regular

Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:39 am

Norfolk_Saddler wrote:we sound well on top, and full of running.

Sounds like we're getting the ball out wide, too. Maybe missing last weekend gave us a good rest.

SW just said Gerrard is on 4 yellows, so I'm praying he can walk this afternoons tightrope. Otherwise it will be Mannie Smith/Loan signing in for next week.

Gerrard has five cautions to his name of which he was banned for one game, he must get another five cautions for another ban (apart from a sending off), and I think it is by the end of March that if he has not got to ten cautions that they are wiped off.

PreviousNext
Return to 2007-08 Season