Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Reserves v Huddersfield Town (13/02/08)

Reports and reaction from the 2007-08 season as Walsall finished 12th in League 1
Mike T.
UTS Veteran

Reserves v Huddersfield Town (13/02/08)

Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:52 am

Blimey I have beaten Duke :!: :lol: Its half term week and I am planning to be there with Liam. Will post short report upon my return. Guess team will include Bossu, Dobbo and Ishy - then the youth team??

Brum

Re: Reserves v Huddersfield Town (13/02/08)

Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:53 pm

won 2-1, goals from dobson (deflected drive from edge of area) and ishmel (free kick, top corner).

players of note:

mannie smith - i never thought he looked comfortable last year when he had his chance in the first team, looks bigger, stronger and more confident, captaining the reserves. i'd feel safe with him if called upon

ishy - nothing new, lots of tricks, direct running, fouled a lot, lashed out a bit, swore at the ref a lot etc etc

sansara - well, lots of big things expected of him but i dont think he's ready yet

n'dour - not in the game much at all

dobson - got forward for his goal but didnt command midfield against a poor huddersfield team

bossu - commanded his area, made a great save, no chance with the goal

overall though, a decent win. we've got a very young reserve side and lots of pace going forward, although apart from a superb free kick, huddersfield didnt threaten

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:02 pm

Walsall 2 1 Huddersfield Town
(played at Bescot Stadium)

Attendance:- Not announced (free admission!) but about 120 to 130

Walsall (4-4-2)
Bertrand Bossu

Charlton Davies
Manny Smith (capt.)
Tom Schwarz
Netan Sansara

David McDermott
Michael Dobson
Alessane N'Dour (Dan Schwarz, 67 min.)
Ishmel Demontagnac

Chris Hanna (Dexter Ravenhill, 86 min.)
Harry Harris (Cameron Jones, 72 min.)

Unused substitutes:-
Hassan Bacchus
Richard Davies

Managers:- Jimmy Mullen & Eric McManus (DD and STM were also watching)

Goal log:-
48 min. - a shot from Dobson, straight at the 'keeper, from just inside the penalty area, goes between the 'keeper's legs, into the net!
70 min. - a superbly struck free-kick, from 25 yards out, from Demontagnac, flies into the top right-hand corner.
80 min. - an equally-superbly struck free-kick, by Joe Skarz, reduces the arrears.

Sinners' List:-
78 min. - Sansara cautioned (unsporting behaviour - foul on Kamara). The ensuing free-kick led to the Terriers' goal.
90+2 min. - Demontagnac cautioned (unsporting behaviour - foul on Tom Clarke).

Comments:-
Not the most inspiring game ever seen at Bescot, with the Saddlers deserving the three points.
Defence:- apart from an unpunished 20th minute blunder, Bossu was generally in command and produced a couple of outstanding saves in the second half. Back four coped well. Sansara had his hands full with with Huddersfield's only real threat, right-winger, Malvin Kamara, but he generally dealt well with him - apart, of course, from the late foul which led to his caution and their goal!
Midfield:- in the centre, Dobson and N'Dour did little wrong but, then again, actually did very little! On the flanks, McDermott was his usual busy self while Ishy was his usual frustrating self, ranging from the sublime to the annoying.
Attack:- Harris and Hanna are not out-and-out central strikers and it showed but, in fairness to both lads, the quality of service to them was, with the odd exception, poor. Hanna missed a glorious chance in the 39th minute, when put clear by McDermott and, in the 53rd minute, Harris was equally culpable of missing a 1 v.1. Harris did atone for his miss by sending ASBO Ishy clear, in 63rd minute, with the best pass of the match but Ishy made it 3 missed chances (by the team) with only the goalkeeper to beat.
Most of the team are out of contract, this summer, and they need to impress the watching Dicky Dosh if they want a new offer.

Mike T.
UTS Veteran

Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:24 pm

Yep - cant argue with any of the above. Mannie looked composed on the ball and commanding at the back, perhaps not so effective at right back following the second half switch (but Charlton Davies looked better in midfield than at right back). The Schwarz brothers looked promising but I hoped for more from Alessane N'Dour.

Ishy was Ishy - sublime free kick but horrible tackle in last minute got a deserved booking. Possibly could have had an earlier booking for a swing of arms following a tussle with their defender in the first half BUT did seem to be in control for 99% of the game.

Sansara I thought stuck to his task well against their best player. Very strong in the air and good going forward.

However the highlight for me was Cameron Jones's yellow boots!! - and not a bad 15 minutes or so on the pitch.

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:31 pm

Mike T. wrote:Blimey I have beaten Duke :!: :lol:

I usually leave the reserves match thread to Bob,he's much better at it than me :wink:
good to see Dobson get a full 90 minutes under his belt he needed it.

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:28 pm

I went today, abit of a boring first half, better second half. I sat down in the lower florrs-2-go and much to my suprise some of the first teamers sat down literally. Bradders, Tauns, Nicholls, Deeney and Sonko (with his little boy). I got their autographs aswel.

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:21 pm

Dexter Ravenhill - that's a quality footballer's name! Keep him on!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:45 pm

Pedagogue wrote:Walsall 2 1 Huddersfield Town
(played at Bescot Stadium)

Call yourself a bloody pedagogue? :P

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:01 pm

It will remain the BESCOT STADIUM to a teetotaller like me!

Exile
Jobsworth

Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:44 am

Pedagogue wrote:It will remain the BESCOT STADIUM to an alzheimer's sufferer like me!

Senior moment, sir? :mrgreen:

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:05 am

Just to be pedantic, when you alter my post - shouldn't that be 'Alzheimer's' - with an upper case 'A'? It is, after all, a proper noun, being someone's name. :lol:

Exile
Jobsworth

Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:07 am

Pedagogue wrote:Just to be pedantic, when you alter my post - shouldn't that be 'Alzheimer's' - with an upper case 'A'? It is, after all, a proper noun, being someone's name. :lol:

No - referring to the disease named thereafter the capitalisation of the disease name is thoroughly optional. Not like capitalization, which is never optional. :wink:

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:18 am

Exile wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:Just to be pedantic, when you alter my post - shouldn't that be 'Alzheimer's' - with an upper case 'A'? It is, after all, a proper noun, being someone's name. :lol:

No - referring to the disease named thereafter the capitalisation of the disease name is thoroughly optional. Not like capitalization, which is never optional. :wink:

Shame though. That's why Professor Tonsilitis doesn't get the recognition he deserves. :cry:

:D

Exile
Jobsworth

Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:20 am

King Crimson wrote:
Exile wrote:

Shame though. That's why Professor Tonsilitis doesn't get the recognition he deserves. :cry:

Best move to the pun thread. It's dire here.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:22 am

Exile wrote:
King Crimson wrote:
Exile wrote:

Best move to the pun thread. It's dire here.

Very runny, Exile. :roll:

retired

Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:44 am

Can anyone close to DD ask why Manny Smith and Charlton Davies are not given more of a confidence boost than they appear to being given. Smith certainly deserves a chance and Davies showed yesterday that he can place a ball. I know its a long shot but both appear to be players who perhaps have the potential to do really well if given the chance and Smith has bided his time well.

gerryhatrick
UTS Legend

Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:15 am

King Crimson wrote:
Exile wrote:

The eminent scientist , Dr. Henrik Huping-Koff, missed out on a Nobel Prize
after discovering that masturbation leads to potential blindness.
His half-naked lifeless body was found, by an unfortunate Moderator, in the
chat-room of a poorly attended football clubs fans website.
Nearby, there lay a well thumbed copy of an Anne Summers catalogue and a
rather powerful magnifying glass.
The coroner, having considered the highly emotive condition of the deceased,
declared that death was due to asphyxia and delivered an open verdict.

Exile
Jobsworth

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:40 pm

gerryhatrick wrote: The eminent scientist , Dr. Henrik Huping-Koff, missed out on a Nobel Prize
after discovering that masturbation leads to potential blindness.
His half-naked lifeless body was found, by an unfortunate Moderator, in the
chat-room of a poorly attended football clubs fans website.
Nearby, there lay a well thumbed copy of an Anne Summers catalogue and a
rather powerful magnifying glass.
The coroner, having considered the highly emotive condition of the deceased,
declared that death was due to asphyxia and delivered an open verdict.

Crumbs!

Return to 2007-08 Season