Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Swansea City (A) League 1 Tuesday 12/2/08.

Reports and reaction from the 2007-08 season as Walsall finished 12th in League 1
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Re: Swansea City (A) League 1 Tuesday 12/2/08.

Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:10 pm

MMF isn't arrogant, and I don't believe he's ever been arrogant. British people simply don't like those who are right, in a similar way that they don't like winners.

I should know... I get it all the time. :wink:

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:12 pm

4143 wrote:MMF isn't arrogant, and I don't believe he's ever been arrogant. British people simply don't like those who are right, in a similar way that they don't like winners.

Loser.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:15 pm

tinned wrote:
4143 wrote:MMF isn't arrogant, and I don't believe he's ever been arrogant. British people simply don't like those who are right, in a similar way that they don't like winners.

Loser.

Case in point. :mrgreen:

Chomper
UTS Veteran

Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:18 pm

Did N'dour come on tonight?

Not heard much in the way of a performance (being in sunny Nottingham). Did we give it a go?

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:19 pm

4143 wrote:
tinned wrote:

Loser.

Case in point. :mrgreen:

:lol:

sack

Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:13 am

well not bad, daft as it sounds with the result we played well, defensive and unadventurous but if it had worked i.e. we'd got a draw i and most would have said it was a master plan. They were just too good, in fact they are very very good, every player on there team looked a cut above, and thats most in this league not just us. Just a mention for Gerrard and Roper, they were ace, there goal can't be blamed on either of them, and they wouldn't have at all if Sonko had closed down a bit quicker. Just one thing why did mooney not play, is it coincidence that today the birmingham ran a story were Scott Dan says mooney told him to go to coventry?, well probably but there it is. well done saddlers it nearly so nearly worked.

Edited - no text speak please - see AUPs - Mod

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:33 am

ws4saddler wrote:MMF, I dont know you and perhaps I will never Know you but the last few days you have talked a lot of sense. It is up to the rest of the fans to take note of your rational views. Well done.

Why have you binned the Purple Stand Pigeon alter-ego for this one, MMF? :roll:

I liked the pigeon's avatar. :(

:D

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:01 am

Last night was about what we expected, wasn't it?

First of all, they were the best side I've seen at this level for quite a while, and in Bodde, have a midfielder who really can simply run a game. Granted, we made it easy for them at times as our inexperience and naivety showed, but Martinez has them playing some great football worthy of the Championship.

For the first 45, we defended well and generally frustrated them, despite them having a lot of the ball. Deeney had a decent chance which he seemed to rush and Ince made one decent save with his feet. There were patches when we had chances to hit them on the break, but Nicholls and Deeney just didn't have any kind of cutting edge. Nicholls really didn't do a lot to be honest and spent most of his time on the pitch chasing shadows. Whilst Deeney looks far from confident in front of goal, he offers us the option of playing the ball to his feet and keeps things simple. He's not a suitable player to have up front on his own though.
Our best play going forward came when we gave the ball to Holmes, simply because he kept the ball rather than trying something too ambitious, leaving us to defend a rapid counter-attack. Taundry did alright with the ball too, as did Sonko (when he didn't dilly-dally with it) but both just looked too lightweight.

Their goal came fairly early in the second half and was the cruelest of punishments for us persistently giving Bodde the time and space to do what he wanted with the ball. He'd looked a threat from that sort of range in the first half. Only a few minutes before, we had arguably our best chance of the game when Deeney got the ball to his feet on the edge of the box, turned and had a great shot tipped over by their 'keeper.

Betsy isn't an improvement on what we already have from what I've seen. Considering his experience and the fact that he appears much more of a physical presence than any of our other midfielders, seeing him lack the balls to go into a 50-50 challenge was a disappointment.
I'm used to seeing right sided midfielders with no bottle at Walsall though, so I can just about cope. :wink:

Ishmel came on and made a bit of a difference because he had the pace to scare their defenders. His chance was a better one than I think most people thought. It was also a lesson in how you should shoot across the goalkeeper when in such a position, rather than hitting the side netting at the near post. Hopefully he'll learn.
N'Dour also looked alright when he came on. Having seen him play 25 minutes or so now, I wonder why he didn't start last night for his physical presence alone because we certainly lacked that last night.

The distribution from both fullbacks was very poor last night. Weston had clearly been beaten by their fans jeers and to be honest, had his worst game since about September. Boertein also seemed to struggle in that department, but probably defended better.

It was just another 90 minutes of evidence in favour of us bringing in at least 2 more players on loan. In fairness to Roper, he had a good game and made one particularly good challenge to stop Scotland, who was kept fairly quiet throughout. We need at least one more striker with experience and possible another midfielder, although it'll be interesting to see how N'Dour settles.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:03 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
Norfolk_Saddler wrote:Can't believe you think there are instances when MMF may not be right.

MMF is always right.

(right cheek bulging due to tongue being wedged firmly inside it)

[arrogant mode to keep the readers happy]Correct. And I will be proven right again when Constable scores enough goals to prove that I was right in saying we should have kept him until the end of the season at least, and Mark Wright has already proved that

If only Walsall fans realised how much damage they do to our young players confidence then we might achieve something. Wright is the same player as last season but he has the backing of fans giving him confidence to do what he was always capable of. He doesn't have hundreds of people willing him to fail and getting on his back when he does.[/arrogant mode]

It must be so hard, on a fair wage, doing something that most men dream of doing and you get a big of grief because you are useless.
Every player has a good season now and again.
Of course, if he had any intelligence whatsoever, he would go out and prove the people willing him to fail wrong.

Dynamo Zuffle
UTS Legend

Location: In the white room with black curtains near the station.

Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:15 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:Last night was about what we expected, wasn't it?

First of all, they were the best side I've seen at this level for quite a while, and in Bodde, have a midfielder who really can simply run a game. Granted, we made it easy for them at times as our inexperience and naivety showed, but Martinez has them playing some great football worthy of the Championship.

For the first 45, we defended well and generally frustrated them, despite them having a lot of the ball. Deeney had a decent chance which he seemed to rush and Ince made one decent save with his feet. There were patches when we had chances to hit them on the break, but Nicholls and Deeney just didn't have any kind of cutting edge. Nicholls really didn't do a lot to be honest and spent most of his time on the pitch chasing shadows. Whilst Deeney looks far from confident in front of goal, he offers us the option of playing the ball to his feet and keeps things simple. He's not a suitable player to have up front on his own though.
Our best play going forward came when we gave the ball to Holmes, simply because he kept the ball rather than trying something too ambitious, leaving us to defend a rapid counter-attack. Taundry did alright with the ball too, as did Sonko (when he didn't dilly-dally with it) but both just looked too lightweight.

Their goal came fairly early in the second half and was the cruelest of punishments for us persistently giving Bodde the time and space to do what he wanted with the ball. He'd looked a threat from that sort of range in the first half. Only a few minutes before, we had arguably our best chance of the game when Deeney got the ball to his feet on the edge of the box, turned and had a great shot tipped over by their 'keeper.

Betsy isn't an improvement on what we already have from what I've seen. Considering his experience and the fact that he appears much more of a physical presence than any of our other midfielders, seeing him lack the balls to go into a 50-50 challenge was a disappointment.
I'm used to seeing right sided midfielders with no bottle at Walsall though, so I can just about cope. :wink:

Ishmel came on and made a bit of a difference because he had the pace to scare their defenders. His chance was a better one than I think most people thought. It was also a lesson in how you should shoot across the goalkeeper when in such a position, rather than hitting the side netting at the near post. Hopefully he'll learn.
N'Dour also looked alright when he came on. Having seen him play 25 minutes or so now, I wonder why he didn't start last night for his physical presence alone because we certainly lacked that last night.

The distribution from both fullbacks was very poor last night. Weston had clearly been beaten by their fans jeers and to be honest, had his worst game since about September. Boertein also seemed to struggle in that department, but probably defended better.

It was just another 90 minutes of evidence in favour of us bringing in at least 2 more players on loan. In fairness to Roper, he had a good game and made one particularly good challenge to stop Scotland, who was kept fairly quiet throughout. We need at least one more striker with experience and possible another midfielder, although it'll be interesting to see how N'Dour settles.

A good informative post mate cheers.

cyclothymic
UTS Legend

Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:27 pm

Being right does not make you arrogant MMF

You really must try harder :mrgreen:

deanonev69
Glitterati

Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:31 pm

I went last night in all honesty expecting to lose the game and so in that respect, i should not be disappointed. But if i am honest, i'm still totally gutted, partly because of the fact that i have to put up with the jack scum down here but also because i just don't think we had enough battle and fight. For example, Gerrard i think is one of the loudest players we've got-we gave him the captaincy last night and there was nothing. Although the defence was pretty solid, we didn't defend from the front-really think we missed Bradley for his energy. Also, there was two chances in about 20 seconds in the first half when you just wanted Nicholls to have a pop from the edge of the area.

I know someone said elsewhere that WM had said there was no shame in losing to a side who will be in the Championship next year-last night just made me question if we will. It's being said that we are waiting to get loans in that will stretch through to play offs-we need to strengthen now to ensure we get to them and then start worrying.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:19 pm

deanonev69 wrote:I know someone said elsewhere that WM had said there was no shame in losing to a side who will be in the Championship next year-last night just made me question if we will. It's being said that we are waiting to get loans in that will stretch through to play offs-we need to strengthen now to ensure we get to them and then start worrying.

Don't panic, everything's under control. :D

Seriously, I can see where you're coming from wih your post, but we were stretched to the max with so many absentees from the squad last night. It wasn't so much about a lack of fight - more about a lack of experience in key areas.

Swansea impressed me that much last night that I'd be surprised if they're closer to the bottom of the Championship than the top this time next year. Given the amount of money they've spent, to even look like getting anything from them was a bonus. I don't want that to come across as defeatist or negative, but we have to look at things realistically. There were Championship clubs unable to afford Jason Scotland's wages in the summer, and he wasn't even their best player. They have not far from 3 times the number of fans going to watch them every week compared to us and hence, have the budget to buy their way out of the division.

Purple Stand Pigeon

Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:14 pm

King Crimson wrote:
ws4saddler wrote:MMF, I dont know you and perhaps I will never Know you but the last few days you have talked a lot of sense. It is up to the rest of the fans to take note of your rational views. Well done.

Why have you binned the Purple Stand Pigeon alter-ego for this one, MMF? :roll:

I agree

Jim McDonald

Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:16 pm

Jim Mc :D onal :shock: here

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUb761oGt4g[/youtube]

Catch yourself a pigeon, so it is.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:23 pm

Jim McDonald wrote:Jim Mc :D onal :shock: here

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUb761oGt4g[/youtube]

Catch yourself a pigeon, so it is.

:D ick :shock: astar :mrgreen: ly was a nasty b'star :roll: wasn't he?

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:23 pm

King Crimson wrote:Why have you binned the Purple Stand Pigeon alter-ego, MMF? :roll:

It had to go. Plastic Hawk ate it.

SWS1

Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:54 pm

sack wrote:well not bad, daft as it sounds with the result we played well, defensive and unadventurous but if it had worked i.e. we'd got a draw i and most would have said it was a master plan. They were just too good, in fact they are very very good, every player on there team looked a cut above, and thats most in this league not just us. Just a mention for Gerrard and Roper, they were ace, there goal can't be blamed on either of them, and they wouldn't have at all if Sonko had closed down a bit quicker. Just one thing why did mooney not play, is it coincidence that today the birmingham ran a story were Scott Dan says mooney told him to go to coventry?, well probably but there it is. well done saddlers it nearly so nearly worked.

Edited - no text speak please - see AUPs - Mod

If a young player goes to an experienced pro for advice and it is honestly given, there's no blame in that. I'm sure, if it happened, Mooney simply gave him his honest opinion. There are good arguments for bettering yourself AT THE RIGHT MOMENT (there may be an argument that this was not it, for club or player, but there is the opposite argument, too). It may turn out to be a good move for young Scott and I still think, all in all, it was good business for us: for once, I don't feel we've been ripped off or sold down the river etc although I would, personally, have preferred to keep both players until the end of the season. I'm surprised how well we've done (despite a couple of defeats) since they went.

Previous
Return to 2007-08 Season