Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Carlisle United (A) League 1 Saturday 2/2/08

Reports and reaction from the 2007-08 season as Walsall finished 12th in League 1
Mozza_saddler

Re: Carlisle United (A) League 1 Saturday 2/2/08

Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:59 pm

Always going to be an extremely tough game with or withou fox/dann, so i dont think it is fair to be saying how we miss them just yet..

Redordead
UTS Veteran

Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:02 pm

Oh well, had to lose sooner or later, lets see how long before we get the first "wouldn't have lost if we hadn't sold Dann" post

georgies best

Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:03 pm

ok so we have lost, first one since october! nothing to do with ex players.
it had got to come sooner or later.
but so have forest and leeds,
we are still in there
keep the faith
UTS forever

cyclothymic
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:03 pm

Will be interesting to here from those that were there - the live reports I was reading had us as the better team with many chances to score not put away

cal wfc fan
UTS Regular

Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:05 pm

Yeah Dann was suspended a couple of games ago, and we didn't do too bad then did we? think this defeat just might be coincidence.

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:05 pm

you only have to look at Carlisle's home record to know this was alway going to be a tough game with or without Scott Dann.
disappointed but by no means disheartened , with Leeds and Forest losing not to much damage done although Doncaster won at Millwall . we are now 5th bring on the Glovers .

Goose277
Glitterati

Location: One morning I shot an elephant in my pyjamas. How he got in my pyjamas, I don't know

Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:11 pm

georgies best wrote:ok so we have lost, first one since october! nothing to do with ex players.
it had got to come sooner or later.
but so have forest and leeds,
we are still in there
keep the faith
UTS forever

I think you've got the wrong board mate. I'm sure positive comments aren't allowed on here :D

sack

Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:16 pm

and so it begins, it's nothing to do with the quality we have lost my ars,

georgies best

Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:21 pm

yes and so it does begin........
walsall fan here, ready to stand up and be counted
worse times have been known,
stop taking the piss and get on with what we do best
supporting WFC whatever and whoever
i repeat
WFC forever

Canuck
UTS Regular

Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:25 pm

KJC wrote:
northern_saddler wrote:looks like the run is over !!!

never mind..... See it as a chance to start another one. :)

That has to be about the happy-clapperest comment I've ever heard.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:26 pm

georgies best wrote:yes and so it does begin........
stop taking the pee and get on with what we do best
i repeat
WFC forever

And that makes you better than the rest of us for being realistic? Not blind faith as so many seem to adhere to. I am absolutely gutted we have lost today, I think we have the best manager we have ever seen at Walsall. But... I think we have majorly cocked up our season through poor management, does that make me less of a supporter? No, it does not.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:26 pm

Pedagogue wrote:
gray wrote:
Whitti Steve wrote:Why isn't Scott Dann in the team? Did I miss something?

I can't work out if this is a joke or not.

Woooossshhh!

Can't believe I went out and missed my cue to WOOOSSSHHH :mrgreen:

sack

Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:30 pm

of course its not just because we have lost Scott, its because we have lost Scott dan fox and ricketts, and done nothing in the window, thats y the results are and will start to change, but go on just you keep on right in there defending the club, even if the edivence suggests your rong.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:32 pm

Sounds like we did OK against a good team. All good runs come to an end, no shame in it being at Carlisle. You only have to look at forest and Leeds to see that good teams lose occassionally. If DD and the team can win next week and start another run that will be a real test of character.

UTS

EDIT - must point out though, that I am a happy clapper and am blind!

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:47 pm

sack wrote:of course its not just because we have lost Scott, its because we have lost Scott dan fox and ricketts, and done nothing in the window, thats y the results are and will start to change, but go on just you keep on right in there defending the club, even if the edivence suggests your rong.

Have'nt we taken Betsy on loan? Or did I miss something?

gerryhatrick
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:55 pm

Oh well, never mind.

Dann and Fox (booked), kept their unbeaten run
with a clean sheet.

They'll still be our boys.

exiledsaddler

Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:02 pm

Quite scary that King Crimson predicted the result exactly.

Also, nice Smiths reference earlier cyclo. Personally, I haven't had a dream for a long time

PT
Site Addict

Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:40 pm

Wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:
i repeat
WFC forever

And that makes you better than the rest of us for being realistic? Not blind faith as so many seem to adhere to. I am absolutely gutted we have lost today, I think we have the best manager we have ever seen at Walsall. But... I think we have majorly cocked up our season through poor management, does that make me less of a supporter? No, it does not.

Thing is though folk like Sack (who threatened to "sod off" earlier this season following the Swansea defeat) who were cock-sure that we'd be relegated by now because DD had lost the plot, the club had no ambition, the usual stuff seem now to be defining a "cocked up season" as not reaching the play-offs. Some people's definition of "realistic", it seems can change dramatically over just a few months.

I'm so proud of what we've achieved this year whether we finish 4th (still very possible) or 12th and nights like Doncaster and Oldham and forest at home will live long in the memory.

As a group of fans we seem to find a negative passion far easier to articulate than we do a positive one. It's like our emotional compass struggles with success, but when we have a few bad days, as these have been, we find magnetic doom with aplomb and roll out some of our favourite lines - tearing me season ticket up, 20/30/50 years but won't be gewin again, that's it for me this season, worst day in my life as a supporter - it takes me back to the RIP comments when Graydon was sacked. It's like a tumultuous orgasmic relief when we can revert to where we're safe and take on the personae of the perpetual victims. Some folk must have been screaming "the whole lot's a bleedin shambles and I won't be gewin again" in their sleep since October as they have found no out-let to "spend" their bile at the football. Their missus waking them up stroking their head saying "you're having that dream again love - it's OK - they'll lose soon"

Sounds as though we played well today but just lacked a clinical edge to our play.
Well done to the lads on the magnificent run and what is still a fantastic season.

Up The Saddlers (for ever)

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:44 pm

Just heard that we played pretty well today and were more than unlucky to lose. Bearing in mind they'd won their last 8 home games going into this one, we were always going to be up against it.
Questions over Ince for their winner, but given the save he made in the first half, it's fair to say that these things even themselves out. Deeney's would have scored had he put the ball anywhere else across the goal rather than straight at the man on the line. One of those days I guess.
We need a striker first and foremost. Hopefully Ricketts will sort himself out sooner rather than later.

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:51 pm

[quote="Whitti Steve"]Sounds like we did OK against a good team. All good runs come to an end, no shame in it being at Carlisle. You only have to look at forest and Leeds to see that good teams lose occassionally. If DD and the team can win next week and start another run that will be a real test of character.

UTS

EDIT - must point out though, that I am a happy clapper and am blind![/quote]

But you can ski as well?
:lol:

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:59 pm

Asps wrote:
Whitti Steve wrote:Sounds like we did OK against a good team. All good runs come to an end, no shame in it being at Carlisle. You only have to look at forest and Leeds to see that good teams lose occassionally. If DD and the team can win next week and start another run that will be a real test of character.

UTS

EDIT - must point out though, that I am a happy clapper and am blind![/quote]

But you can ski as well?
:lol:

You will soon find out - I wil get some practice in (in a weeks time :mrgreen: ) then show you how great I am later this month!

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:09 pm

King Crimson on Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:01 pm wrote:2-1 to them. Holmes to score for us, proving how great the transfer window has been. :?

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Just checking I've got me Lotto numbers sorted for later!

dinkydotsaddler
UTS Regular

Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:12 pm

Wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:
i repeat
WFC forever

Hear hear Wedsnesbury Saddler!! Stand up and be counted!

Tarka
UTS Regular

Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:12 pm

King Crimson wrote:
King Crimson on Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:01 pm wrote:2-1 to them. Holmes to score for us, proving how great the transfer window has been. :?

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Just checking I've got me Lotto numbers sorted for later!

Burn the witch!!

dinkydotsaddler
UTS Regular

Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:16 pm

sack wrote:of course its not just because we have lost Scott, its because we have lost Scott dan fox and ricketts, and done nothing in the window, thats y the results are and will start to change, but go on just you keep on right in there defending the club, even if the edivence suggests your rong.

Spot on sack - too many important players out and none brought in in the positions we need (ie, striker and Dann replacements). It is only one game and a tough one but to me it is the tip of the iceberg. I hope I'm wrong.

dinkydotsaddler
UTS Regular

Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:22 pm

BathSaddler wrote:

Oh well there's the answer to all our problems. A winger when we need a striker. I don't doubt he is a good player but we need a bloody striker!!!!

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:32 pm

dinkydotsaddler wrote:
BathSaddler wrote:

Oh well there's the answer to all our problems. A winger when we need a striker. I don't doubt he is a good player but we need a bloody striker!!!!

I agree but in all fairness, Money has said (and rightly so) that we won't waste cash on players unless they'll improve us. Ricketts will improve us when fit, but we can't sign him until he proves his fitness.
Other than the strikers who were signed for pretty big money in the transfer window such as Murray moving to Brighton and Elding to Leeds, I saw nobody else who I would have been pleased with if we signed them.

dinkydotsaddler
UTS Regular

Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:41 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
dinkydotsaddler wrote:
BathSaddler wrote:

I agree but in all fairness, Money has said (and rightly so) that we won't waste cash on players unless they'll improve us. Ricketts will improve us when fit, but we can't sign him until he proves his fitness.
Other than the strikers who were signed for pretty big money in the transfer window such as Murray moving to Brighton and Elding to Leeds, I saw nobody else who I would have been pleased with if we signed them.

Money also said he wouldn't be selling players in the window - and oh look what happened. I don't want to just sign anybody - that's the joy of being a small club we have to be extra careful when spending what little money we have. But that is not an excuse for not strengthening where necessary and possible.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:51 pm

dinkydotsaddler wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:
dinkydotsaddler wrote:
BathSaddler wrote:

Money also said he wouldn't be selling players in the window - and oh look what happened. I don't want to just sign anybody - that's the joy of being a small club we have to be extra careful when spending what little money we have. But that is not an excuse for not strengthening where necessary and possible.

But we know he wants Ricketts and has done since the summer. I'm as gutted as anyone about Dann leaving, but give Money a bit of a break. The question I posed in my previous post was over the availability of any striker who would have improved us significantly over the transfer window. I didn't see any.

OldPenkSaddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:47 pm

We played quite well again but looked toothless up front despite creating some shooting opportunities.

Ince threw a hard earned point away for us. Tried to find Holmes with a throw out but he was already covered, the ball came straight back into the box and he then dived over the header towards goal. Very poor but its his first real clanger this season.

Roper gave his usual solid performance but defence didn't seem quite as compact as normal

Betsy made no impression at all but its early days.

It was bloody cold, but the support for the team was magnificent once again.

PreviousNext
Return to 2007-08 Season