Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Carlisle United (A) League 1 Saturday 2/2/08

Reports and reaction from the 2007-08 season as Walsall finished 12th in League 1
King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Re: Carlisle United (A) League 1 Saturday 2/2/08

Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:59 pm

Tarka wrote:
King Crimson wrote:
King Crimson on Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:01 pm wrote:2-1 to them. Holmes to score for us, proving how great the transfer window has been. :?

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Just checking I've got me Lotto numbers sorted for later!

Burn the witch!!

Whatever it was has worn off.

Two Lotto numbers. No prize.

Thanks for the report from Carlisle too, Old Penk. Much appreciated.

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:07 pm

Got back about 30 mins ago but might have been earlier if we hadn't been held up by traffic trying to exit the football ground, if you thought Walsall was bad then our tortuous exit route via some back gardens was worse if not interesting :shock:

Excellent performance today from the majority of the players and very unlucky to lose. There is no doubt that we are a very good team with a number of outstanding players and promising players. First mention must go to Roper who was my man of the match closely followed by Holmes who had his best game so far scoring our goal and providing a stream of crosses into the box. Betsy made an excellent debut, his control and accurate passing at times cut Carlisle to pieces, very promising. Man for man the only player I might have swapped would have been Mark Bridge Wilkinson for the ponderous Wrack who's days are surely numbered losing the ball when in possession a number of times more crucially leading upto their equaliser when he dwelt on the ball just outside their penalty area and was robbed which led to a breakaway for the penalty when Boertin handled[ball driven against his arm] not given by the referee but signalled by the linesman who was futher away :roll:
It was a pity that Troy Deeney spoilt his display with the miss of the season, eclipsing Wracks miss last week, by succeeding to side foot the ball from 6 yards right at the defender standing on the line, an incredible miss :oops: had that gone in there is no doubt we would have won comfortably but despite our dominance Clayton Ince managed to fluff a relatively simple header which he let slip under his body and rolled into the net. He had a poor game, missing crosses, not collecting the ball cleanly and on more than two occasions throwing the ball to the opposition.
It is clear that we missed Michael Ricketts or any other striker who could have put away our chances, Mooney, although occassionally active, looked a little off the pace and he could certainly do with a few more games to get gack to his best.

I cannot understand why Carlisle are near the top, I certainly wasn't impressed by them.

That's all for now folks, time to top up the wine glass.

dinkydotsaddler
UTS Regular

Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:14 pm

But we know he wants Ricketts and has done since the summer. I'm as gutted as anyone about Dann leaving, but give Money a bit of a break. The question I posed in my previous post was over the availability of any striker who would have improved us significantly over the transfer window. I didn't see any.

I have no problem with Money, I actually feel alittle sorry for him, he appears to be towing the JB line. I do not want us to sign just anybody, but Ricketts was never a certainty and although I totally rate him he is injured and is not helping us in the striker saga. We should have brought in a striker and now with the money from Dann and Fox there really is no excuse. There must be a striker worth signing, other clubs are doing it!

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:22 pm

dinkydotsaddler wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:
dinkydotsaddler wrote:
BathSaddler wrote:
sack wrote:of course its not just because we have lost Scott, its because we have lost Scott dan fox and ricketts, and done nothing in the window, thats y the results are and will start to change, but go on just you keep on right in there defending the club, even if the edivence suggests your rong.

Have'nt we taken Betsy on loan? Or did I miss something?

Oh well there's the answer to all our problems. A winger when we need a striker. I don't doubt he is a good player but we need a bloody striker!!!!

I agree but in all fairness, Money has said (and rightly so) that we won't waste cash on players unless they'll improve us. Ricketts will improve us when fit, but we can't sign him until he proves his fitness.
Other than the strikers who were signed for pretty big money in the transfer window such as Murray moving to Brighton and Elding to Leeds, I saw nobody else who I would have been pleased with if we signed them.

Money also said he wouldn't be selling players in the window - and oh look what happened. I don't want to just sign anybody - that's the joy of being a small club we have to be extra careful when spending what little money we have. But that is not an excuse for not strengthening where necessary and possible.

Find me a quote where DD said categorically that we wouldn't be selling anyone then. One that doesn't have "unless they offer silly money" attached.

Wendy Mumford
UTS Veteran

Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:28 pm

Cully wrote:Got back about 30 mins ago but might have been earlier if we hadn't been held up by traffic trying to exit the football ground, if you thought Walsall was bad then our tortuous exit route via some back gardens was worse if not interesting :shock:

Excellent performance today from the majority of the players and very unlucky to lose. There is no doubt that we are a very good team with a number of outstanding players and promising players. First mention must go to Roper who was my man of the match closely followed by Holmes who had his best game so far scoring our goal and providing a stream of crosses into the box. Betsy made an excellent debut, his control and accurate passing at times cut Carlisle to pieces, very promising. Man for man the only player I might have swapped would have been Mark Bridge Wilkinson for the ponderous Wrack who's days are surely numbered losing the ball when in possession a number of times more crucially leading upto their equaliser when he dwelt on the ball just outside their penalty area and was robbed which led to a breakaway for the penalty when Boertin handled[ball driven against his arm] not given by the referee but signalled by the linesman who was futher away :roll:
It was a pity that Troy Deeney spoilt his display with the miss of the season, eclipsing Wracks miss last week, by succeeding to side foot the ball from 6 yards right at the defender standing on the line, an incredible miss :oops: had that gone in there is no doubt we would have won comfortably but despite our dominance Clayton Ince managed to fluff a relatively simple header which he let slip under his body and rolled into the net. He had a poor game, missing crosses, not collecting the ball cleanly and on more than two occasions throwing the ball to the opposition.
It is clear that we missed Michael Ricketts or any other striker who could have put away our chances, Mooney, although occassionally active, looked a little off the pace and he could certainly do with a few more games to get gack to his best.

I cannot understand why Carlisle are near the top, I certainly wasn't impressed by them.

That's all for now folks, time to top up the wine glass.

I love ginger hair!!!

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:28 pm

Plastic Hawk wrote:Find me a quote where DD said categorically that we wouldn't be selling anyone then. One that doesn't have "unless they offer silly money" attached.

According to the club, Coventry's first offer didn't meet our valuation of Dann. The next day their offer did. Hardly the stuff of 'We couldn't believe our ears when we heard what they were prepared to pay!' is it? Any bid will be incrementally linked to the previous one. Not sure how this can be classed as 'silly money' by anyone, PH.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:45 pm

King Crimson wrote:
Plastic Hawk wrote:Find me a quote where DD said categorically that we wouldn't be selling anyone then. One that doesn't have "unless they offer silly money" attached.

According to the club, Coventry's first offer didn't meet our valuation of Dann. The next day their offer did. Hardly the stuff of 'We couldn't believe our ears when we heard what they were prepared to pay!' is it? Any bid will be incrementally linked to the previous one. Not sure how this can be classed as 'silly money' by anyone, PH.

That's difficult to say either way without knowing what the final bid actually was! :wink:

In the summer or early in January a follow-up bid is likely to be incremental to the first one. I'm not sure that's necessarily the case on deadline day though. Personally, I think £1m would fall into the "silly money" category if that is the actual fee.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:02 pm

Thanks to all those who were there, I'm sure you made your voices heard and gave our battling team great support. We are still in the play-off places and nicely above Leeds who spent as much on deadline day as we got in for Dann. The loss of Ricketts is taking its toll - although I'm hopeful that even if we haven't got a new striker in by next Saturday we'll still have enough to defeat Yeovil. We have the wherewithal to bring in that front man we need, and if we do then I'm extremely confident of making the top six.

I'm also looking forward to the contribution of Holmes over the next few months. Among all the self-flagellation over the fact that 'we never spend any money' and 'we didn't sign anyone in the transfer window', it seems to have gone un-noticed that we've brought in a lad from a Premier League club. From what I've seen so far, he looks a real class act. Someone of his ilk up front and we'll be ok.

Jane

Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:07 pm

I know most probably don't care but does any one know why Ziggy didn't play?

Leonard

Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:10 am

Jane wrote:I know most probably don't care but does any one know why Ziggy didn't play?

He's a Starman.... :shock:

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:31 am

Jane wrote:I know most probably don't care but does any one know why Ziggy didn't play?

According to some Carlisle fans, Ziggy has suffered a loss of form, recently, and was dropped.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:51 am

Pedagogue wrote:

According to some Carlisle fans, Ziggy has suffered a loss of form, recently, and was dropped.

The Man Who Fell to Earth? :idea:

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:53 am

Plastic Hawk wrote:Personally, I think £1m would fall into the "silly money" category if that is the actual fee.

That's where we will have to agree to differ. A player of his ability and age, AND the fact we cannot replace with anything but loanees and out of contract players. "Meeting our valuation of the player" may be one thing, "silly money" it ain't.

addo
UTS Veteran

Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:38 am

There are some decent match photos here............

http://www.mark-fuller.co.uk/carlisle_u ... l2008.html

KJC
UTS Legend

Location: Not 'staying away' as any kind of protest. I've just found something better to do on a Saturday.

Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:34 am

PT wrote:
Wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:And that makes you better than the rest of us for being realistic? Not blind faith as so many seem to adhere to. I am absolutely gutted we have lost today, I think we have the best manager we have ever seen at Walsall. But... I think we have majorly cocked up our season through poor management, does that make me less of a supporter? No, it does not.

Thing is though folk like Sack (who threatened to "sod off" earlier this season following the Swansea defeat) who were appendage-sure that we'd be relegated by now because DD had lost the plot, the club had no ambition, the usual stuff seem now to be defining a "cocked up season" as not reaching the play-offs. Some people's definition of "realistic", it seems can change dramatically over just a few months.

I'm so proud of what we've achieved this year whether we finish 4th (still very possible) or 12th and nights like Doncaster and Oldham and forest at home will live long in the memory.

As a group of fans we seem to find a negative passion far easier to articulate than we do a positive one. It's like our emotional compass struggles with success, but when we have a few bad days, as these have been, we find magnetic doom with aplomb and roll out some of our favourite lines - tearing me season ticket up, 20/30/50 years but won't be gewin again, that's it for me this season, worst day in my life as a supporter - it takes me back to the RIP comments when Graydon was sacked. It's like a tumultuous orgasmic relief when we can revert to where we're safe and take on the personae of the perpetual victims. Some folk must have been screaming "the whole lot's a bleedin shambles and I won't be gewin again" in their sleep since October as they have found no out-let to "spend" their bile at the football. Their missus waking them up stroking their head saying "you're having that dream again love - it's OK - they'll lose soon"

Sounds as though we played well today but just lacked a clinical edge to our play.
Well done to the lads on the magnificent run and what is still a fantastic season.

Up The Saddlers (for ever)

Agree with every word.

Well summed up, PT.

KJC
UTS Legend

Location: Not 'staying away' as any kind of protest. I've just found something better to do on a Saturday.

Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:34 am

Canuck wrote:
KJC wrote:
northern_saddler wrote:looks like the run is over !!!

never mind..... See it as a chance to start another one. :)

That has to be about the happy-clapperest comment I've ever heard.

Glad to be of service. :wink:

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:53 am

Just seen the penalty decision on ITV, god it was harsh.

1. Looked more ball to hand [anyone see all the none-given handballs last night on MOTD?]

2. Looked marginally outside the area.

So very harsh... and Claytons howler.

Anyway, Ropes will be fine when he's up to fitness, but we desperately need our 'exciting strike force' back, lets just hope Ricketts is on his way back.

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:01 pm

Agreed Phil the penalty descision was very harsh , and the second goal oh dear Ince perhaps he was due one .

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:38 pm

philthesaddler wrote:Anyway, Ropes will be fine when he's up to fitness, but we desperately need our 'exciting strike force' back, lets just hope Ricketts is on his way back.

TBH I hope we're not pinning all our hopes on Ricketts. I would like to think we've got one or two other loanee irons in the fire in case Ricketts messes us about. I'm sure there are clubs who have recruited during January and now have forwards going spare and all we need is someone who is a bit clinical to ensure we don't miss out on the goals that will win us valuable points.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:44 pm

philthesaddler wrote:Just seen the penalty decision on ITV, god it was harsh.

1. Looked more ball to hand [anyone see all the none-given handballs last night on MOTD?]

2. Looked marginally outside the area.

So very harsh... and Claytons howler.

Anyway, Ropes will be fine when he's up to fitness, but we desperately need our 'exciting strike force' back, lets just hope Ricketts is on his way back.

Was harsh - it even looked like he was "trying" for it. He chipped the ball rather tham hitting it hard. Still, I've seen them go either way.

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:40 pm

Just got back from Carlisle this afternoon, after staying over at a mate's house last night (a night out in Carlisle was quite amusing, won't go into it here!!)

Firstly, I'll say well done boys. We played very well, despite losing and certainly deserved something out of the game, it was just the misses that prevented 3 points. I ended up with my mate and his brother and dad in 'the paddock' behind the dugouts and it was interesting to hear what their fans said, particularly as we walked out of the ground. They felt we were the best team to come to Brunton this season and played some very good football at times, particularly in the first 20 mins of the second half. Anyway, onto the game and players.

Ince - up and down game. As others have said, came and flapped at a few, made a mistake but also was brave on occasion and made one fantastic save in the second half from a great shot from their left back (a la Dean Keates against Swindon) that was heading top corner and he dived across and not only saved it but held it too.

Weston - Pretty good and consistent. Some good balls into the box and got more into the game attacking wise second half.

Boertien - Solid but nothing special. Bad luck with the handball as he had turned away, but his hand was up I suppose. Linked well with Holmes at times.

Roper - Had a good game overall I thought. No majors errors, the occasional clumsy clatter, but that's Ian Roper!!

Gerrard - Excellent, Carlisle fans were very impressed with him and how he handled Garner. Won header after header and did well 'on the Dann side'!

Holmes - Excellent. Showed great pace and skinned their full back superbly in the second half. Super left foot - another game where Ishmel should have taken notes on how and when to do the right thing and be affective. Another player to impress the Carlisle fans greatly.

Wrack - okay, but did get caught on occasion as others have said. A little surprised it was him to come off when he did.

Bradley - didn't really get into game, replaced by taundry.

Taundry - Showed just what a combative and excellent player he could be. Chased everything, hassled and closed down players, even up to the 93rd minute. Certainly ahead of Dobson for me now for that role in midfield, purely because he is more mobile, quick and can put a good ball in.

Sonko - Looked more in the game playing in the centre but did not have his shooting boots on today. Missed the target with three good chances, two in the first half and then one in the second half he stuck over the bar from 8 yards which was harder to do than hit the target.

Betsy - thought he did well. Was in and out of the game, but when he was involved showed some skill and good link up, cutting inside well on occasion. DD had to keep telling him to sit deeper and defend when we went 442 with the intro of Deeney second half though!

Mooney - excellent first half, doing everything he does best, not so much in the game second half, although kept chasing and keeping the ball for us to get in the box.

Deeney - okay, chased and tried hard but missed an absolute sitter!

Diddy - not much chance to do anything to be honest.

Overall, we played well, just missed the chances. Carlisle weren't amazing although MB-W came more into the game second half, Dobie looked okay at times and Simon Hackney was their main threat, lots of pace and trickery, sort of their Lee Holmes I guess. We got caught for the 1st goal by them counter attacking very quickly with good pace and suddenly having 4 up against our 3 before we knew it. If we play like that against Yeovil and beyond, creating the chances we did rather than missing 2 or 3 almost certs, then no reason why we can't maintain a playoff place and realise we CAN still do it without Fox and Dann!

Final mention to all those who travelled up and braved the corner of the stand, must of been 300ish there. Good voice at times and kept singing, well done!

UTS!

Red Adair

Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:52 pm

Does anyone know how many Saddlers fans went to the Carlisle game. Mick Kearns said 600 during his commentary but I don't really believe him.

Greg WP

Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:00 pm

Red Adair wrote:Does anyone know how many Saddlers fans went to the Carlisle game. Mick Kearns said 600 during his commentary but I don't really believe him.

Looking at the pics I seriousy doubt 600. No more than 350 IMO.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:05 pm

Jolly Johnny wrote:We played very well, despite losing and certainly deserved something out of the game, it was just the misses that prevented 3 points.

Did she distract Ince when that header came in? :idea:

IGMC :(

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:40 pm

Red Adair wrote:Does anyone know how many Saddlers fans went to the Carlisle game. Mick Kearns said 600 during his commentary but I don't really believe him.

As mentioned in the last paragraph of my post before yours there were probably about 300-350ish there, as Greg WP also thought. Not sure where Mick Kearns got 600 from :shock:

Maybe he had double vision!! :lol:

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:28 pm

Didn't deserve to lose...any chance of nicking Mark Bridge Wilkinson for an undisclosed fee please. :lol:

Duke
Site Addict

Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:22 pm

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:10 pm

Good post Cully. Agree with most of that. We were unlucky on the day. Anyone who was there would have clearly seen that the problems weren't with our defence missing Fox or Dann but were at the other end of the pitch.

One man went to Cov, went to Coventry City, one man and his supersonic sausage dog with a rubber jonny on his nob went to Coventry City.

Two men went to Cov, went to Coventry City, two men, one man and his supersonic sausage dog with a rubber jonny on his nob went to Coventry City.

repeat till bored, or pee too many people off.

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:44 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:Good post Cully. Agree with most of that. We were unlucky on the day. Anyone who was there would have clearly seen that the problems weren't with our defence missing Fox or Dann but were at the other end of the pitch.

Exactamundo! Was pretty much what I summised as well in my match report, which appears to have been written in invisible ink! :roll: :wink:

Last time I write a detailed report for peeps on here after a hungover drive back down the M6 and when I should be working. :x :wink:

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:53 pm

Jolly Johnny wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:Good post Cully. Agree with most of that. We were unlucky on the day. Anyone who was there would have clearly seen that the problems weren't with our defence missing Fox or Dann but were at the other end of the pitch.

Exactamundo! Was pretty much what I summised as well in my match report, which appears to have been written in invisible ink! :roll: :wink:

Last time I write a detailed report for peeps on here after a hungover drive back down the M6 and when I should be working. :x :wink:

Who said that? ;)

I agree with your post too. Next time I shall make two lists on a thread, one for all the people I agree with, and one for all the people on a thread I don't agree with. :P

PreviousNext
Return to 2007-08 Season