Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Leyton Orient (H) League 1 Tuesday 29/1/08.

Reports and reaction from the 2007-08 season as Walsall finished 12th in League 1
Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Re: Leyton Orient (H) League 1 Tuesday 29/1/08.

Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:46 am

McSaddler wrote:Correct me if I am wrong but didn't we do a deal on season tickets the season after we went down from the Championship. Might explain some of the extra bums on seats and dare I whisper it the "Merson" effect.

Going back to the point on attendances, my instinct without looking at the numbers in details is that the higher Championship averages are mainly the result of higher away attendances.

This season is probably most comparable to the first time we went up under Graydon a season where Stoke and Man City replace Leeds and Forest as having excellent away support (not to mention Fulham) we are currently running above that season's average so amongst all the doom and gloom maybe we are doing as well as is to be expected on the attendance front.

No doubt the budget is set in such a way as to anticipate a slump in attendance figures in Jan, if not it should be.

Not sure about the deal on season tickets. Probably would be my guess.

What was the average in the Stoke / Man City season then? We had three 9000+ crowds that season (Man City, Stoke, Oldham) and more than 8,000 against Fulham. This season we've only had one in excess of 7,000 I think (Leeds at 10,000+).

Fair point on Joe Public's January. I misunderstood your meaning there! But it is factored into the average every season.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:50 am

Driving to the match last night from Oxford I was listening to Tony Butler prattling on. He spent at least 75% of his time talking about and taking calls about Villa (who obviously weren't playing last night). The other 25% was taken by Wolves and West Brom fans calling in. Don't know if it is available as pod cast but it would be interesting to do an analysis of it on a day when Villa were the only team in the WM region not to be playing.

Couple this with any coverage of our division in national media being about a pantomime going on in Yorkshire and you have an information vacuum about our club. Furthermore Villa and West Brom are having relatively successful seasons and I would guess they are the main rivals for floating support for the Saddlers.

I used to work with a guy who said that Marketing was a load of rubbish and a waste of time. I took great delight in extracting the urine when he pulled out a box of Nurofen. When I told him he had paid ten times as much as he needed to just to buy a branded product which is exactly the same as a supermarket brand - he didn't believe me, until I showed him the ingredients. Marketing eh?

Geordie, you said "If you fancy a pint do you hum and har about what marketing has been performed?, No you just get your backside down the pub." Can you please explain to me why people in the pub who fancy a pint choose to drink Magners and Ice? It baffles me, but it's marketing.

Lets put it this way someone needs to tell the people of Walsall that this is the best young squad of Walsall players in a generation, get to the Banks's and watch them before they are gone. If the club don't do it no-one will.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:56 am

PJD wrote:Driving to the match last night from Oxford I was listening to Tony Butler prattling on. He spent at least 75% of his time talking about and taking calls about Villa (who obviously weren't playing last night). The other 25% was taken by Wolves and West Brom fans calling in. Don't know if it is available as pod cast but it would be interesting to do an analysis of it on a day when Villa were the only team in the WM region not to be playing.

Couple this with any coverage of our division in national media being about a pantomime going on in Yorkshire and you have an information vacuum about our club. Furthermore Villa and West Brom are having relatively successful seasons and I would guess they are the main rivals for floating support for the Saddlers.

I used to work with a guy who said that Marketing was a load of rubbish and a waste of time. I took great delight in extracting the urine when he pulled out a box of Nurofen. When I told him he had paid ten times as much as he needed to just to buy a branded product which is exactly the same as a supermarket brand - he didn't believe me, until I showed him the ingredients. Marketing eh?

Geordie, you said "If you fancy a pint do you hum and har about what marketing has been performed?, No you just get your backside down the pub." Can you please explain to me why people in the pub who fancy a pint choose to drink Magners and Ice? It baffles me, but it's marketing.

Lets put it this way someone needs to tell the people of Walsall that this is the best young squad of Walsall players in a generation, get to the Banks's and watch them before they are gone. If the club don't do it no-one will.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Strongbow. In a bottle.

aaaae
Site Addict

Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:59 am

Oh yes about the game - would like to know DD's reasons for starting Sonko in the middle rather than Bradley. I'd have stuck Eddie out wide right and played Deeney up font - which in the absence of Rickets I think this our best team.

Agree with most comments about the game. Just think our youngsters can be a bit slow of thought at times, which I guess will come with experience. There were a couple of times in the 1st half when Mooney tried to play Nicholls in, but he got beaten to the ball by the defender because he didn't see the pass Mooney was about to make. Same with Ishy when he came on.

As an aside why can't Sonko shoot straight, everything he hits has wicked slice on it. Maybe his legs are too weak to hit through the ball. :lol:

Overall a good performance though, as everyone has said just lacking that cutting edge. If Wrack had put his chance away we might have won by 3 or 4.

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:02 am

I thought we played really well last night without ever quite threatening enough to score the winning goal. Interesting to note that our exciting attacking play is either i) down the flanks or ii) based on long balls for the forwards to chase. We rarely use the midfield, as other teams do. Not a criticism, just an observation.

Player by player;

Ince - didn't have much to do. Was shaky on a couple of crosses again though. May have a sterner test on Saturday.
Weston - absolutely superb again
Boertien - class, that's the only word for it. Fox should have stayed and learnt off him. MOTM by a mile in my opinion
Dann - excellent at the back. He is prone to the odd blunder though, usually down to trying to play too much football when sometimes the big hoof is required. He's young, he'll learn this as he goes along
Gerrard - excellent display
Deeney - sheer hard work and effort mixed with a little skill. He's clearly learning off Mooney.
Holmes - first half looked very dangerous with some lovely crosses knocked in. 2nd half faded out a bit but still does a good job of marking his man
Sonko - an excellent display I thought. I'd go as far as to say one of the best midfield displays we've seen this season in a Walsall shirt
Wrack - the usual. Chases around, plays 5 yard square or backwards passes (hence rarely loses the ball/fails to find a man as someone else pointed out). I prefer him to be the holding midfielder these days but he did make some good runs forward in the 2nd half in particular. Missed an absolute sitter, our one decent chance of the night.
Nicholls - in and out of the game. I don't think he has the speed of thought that is required over short distances. What he does have is bags of pace so if he gets a run at his man, he'll quite often beat him. Thought he was taken off just when he was coming into the game more.
Mooney - a superb influence on the team. Looked short of match practice last night (he is!!) but still worked his socks off and showed a fair bit of class

Taundry - not sure about this "midfield" thing. He looked a bit lost at times. Unfortunately though, he's not going to get a chance at right back for now so he'll, I'm sure, adapt to other roles.
Bradley - looked good when he came on. He's awkward and, for a little lad, he's very strong on the ball
Demontagnac - well read the "Ishmel" thread!! How he can watch Deeney and Nicholls running themselves into the ground and then come on and be like that is beyond me. I KNOW he can win us points but I wonder whether his poor attitude is just not worth having around the club anymore. Disgusting.

We quite obviously missed the skill and guile of someone like Ricketts. That may have made the difference. But at the end of the day, it was probably more important not to lose last night so it can be seen as a good result. It kept Orient below us, got us another point...and we have to trust that Mr Money will bring in the necessary striker to help us to push on.

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:07 am

PJD wrote:I used to work with a guy who said that Marketing was a load of rubbish and a waste of time. I took great delight in extracting the urine when he pulled out a box of Nurofen. When I told him he had paid ten times as much as he needed to just to buy a branded product which is exactly the same as a supermarket brand - he didn't believe me, until I showed him the ingredients. Marketing eh?

Hate to say it but though the supermarket brand does have the same active ingredient, that ingredient is not in the same drug transport base and is untested. It's therefore not the same product. Not exactly, not even close. Examples - Mrs. Exile responds well to Zyrtec, but not the generic equivalant. I am happy with nurofen, but not supermarket ibuprofen. You're messing with your health if you buy generic medicines, as apart from the (copied) active agent, they are completely untested.

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:17 am

ShropsSaddler wrote:I thought we played really well last night without ever quite threatening enough to score the winning goal. Interesting to note that our exciting attacking play is either i) down the flanks or ii) based on long balls for the forwards to chase. We rarely use the midfield, as other teams do. Not a criticism, just an observation.

Player by player;

Ince - didn't have much to do. Was shaky on a couple of crosses again though. May have a sterner test on Saturday.
Weston - absolutely superb again
Boertien - class, that's the only word for it. Fox should have stayed and learnt off him. MOTM by a mile in my opinion
Dann - excellent at the back. He is prone to the odd blunder though, usually down to trying to play too much football when sometimes the big hoof is required. He's young, he'll learn this as he goes along
Gerrard - excellent display
Deeney - sheer hard work and effort mixed with a little skill. He's clearly learning off Mooney.
Holmes - first half looked very dangerous with some lovely crosses knocked in. 2nd half faded out a bit but still does a good job of marking his man
Sonko - an excellent display I thought. I'd go as far as to say one of the best midfield displays we've seen this season in a Walsall shirt
Wrack - the usual. Chases around, plays 5 yard square or backwards passes (hence rarely loses the ball/fails to find a man as someone else pointed out). I prefer him to be the holding midfielder these days but he did make some good runs forward in the 2nd half in particular. Missed an absolute sitter, our one decent chance of the night.
Nicholls - in and out of the game. I don't think he has the speed of thought that is required over short distances. What he does have is bags of pace so if he gets a run at his man, he'll quite often beat him. Thought he was taken off just when he was coming into the game more.
Mooney - a superb influence on the team. Looked short of match practice last night (he is!!) but still worked his socks off and showed a fair bit of class

Taundry - not sure about this "midfield" thing. He looked a bit lost at times. Unfortunately though, he's not going to get a chance at right back for now so he'll, I'm sure, adapt to other roles.
Bradley - looked good when he came on. He's awkward and, for a little lad, he's very strong on the ball
Demontagnac - well read the "Ishmel" thread!! How he can watch Deeney and Nicholls running themselves into the ground and then come on and be like that is beyond me. I KNOW he can win us points but I wonder whether his poor attitude is just not worth having around the club anymore. Disgusting.

We quite obviously missed the skill and guile of someone like Ricketts. That may have made the difference. But at the end of the day, it was probably more important not to lose last night so it can be seen as a good result. It kept Orient below us, got us another point...and we have to trust that Mr Money will bring in the necessary striker to help us to push on.

thank goodness some one noticed the super display from Sonko , and the quality of Boertien

Cueball
UTS Regular

Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:30 am

PJD wrote:Driving to the match last night from Oxford I was listening to Tony Butler prattling on. He spent at least 75% of his time talking about and taking calls about Villa (who obviously weren't playing last night). The other 25% was taken by Wolves and West Brom fans calling in. Don't know if it is available as pod cast but it would be interesting to do an analysis of it on a day when Villa were the only team in the WM region not to be playing.

Great post. The marketing from the club is non-existent. I picked up the E&S the other day and did see a quarter page ad from Walsall in it - for a Sportsman's evening in the Bonsor Suite! Being a season-ticket holder I believe I should be getting regular direct mail (or junk mail if you prefer!) trying to get me to buy new merchandise / recommend a friend / etc. But have they even heard of relationship marketing??

However, I do also agree with Geordie. The support is rubbish and for those that do attend, well, I don't know why some bother. Most people don't want to get behind the team and actually try to generate an atmosphere. It's quite depressing really, because this young team really do deserve much better support.

priestley_saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:37 am

Exile wrote:
PJD wrote:I used to work with a guy who said that Marketing was a load of rubbish and a waste of time. I took great delight in extracting the urine when he pulled out a box of Nurofen. When I told him he had paid ten times as much as he needed to just to buy a branded product which is exactly the same as a supermarket brand - he didn't believe me, until I showed him the ingredients. Marketing eh?

Hate to say it but though the supermarket brand does have the same active ingredient, that ingredient is not in the same drug transport base and is untested. It's therefore not the same product. Not exactly, not even close. Examples - Mrs. Exile responds well to Zyrtec, but not the generic equivalant. I am happy with nurofen, but not supermarket ibuprofen. You're messing with your health if you buy generic medicines, as apart from the (copied) active agent, they are completely untested.

That's just a psychological thing. Because of how well the product is marketed you believe it to be as good as you're told. You think the branded product is better, you really believe it will make you feel more better more quickly than supermarket brands, and as a result it does.

Marketing at its very best :wink:

bangsection
Site Addict

Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:39 am

Geordiesaddler wrote:
Marketing?? what about passion, loyalty, fire in the belly?? Or shall we wait for the goverment and the ad men to tell us when to be excited?

As an ad man, I can confirm that you now all have permission to get excited.

Cueball - how about approaching the club to offer your award-winning creative insight?

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:02 am

Going back to Boertien along with Weston have we ever had 2 better full backs at the club at the same time. i hope DD is working on a new deal for them , they have proved their fitness and quality imo.

priestley_saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:03 am

I actually thought that last night had 0-0 written all over it from quite a way out. Orient came for a draw, and we didn't really have the creativity to break them down. It's games like that where you normally get one real chance to win it, and Wracky put his header wide I was resigned to just the one point.

Still haven't managed back to back league wins on this unbeaten run. I guess we wont know until after Saturday's game how good a point last night was.

aaaae
Site Addict

Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:06 am

Exile wrote:

I defer to the wisdom of my wife who works in the Pharmaceutical industry as a Medical Information Manager within what is known as the "Pain Franchise" (Ouch). Her speciality for years was NSAIDs (Non Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs) such as Ibuprofen, particularly with reference to the heavyweight pain killers used by Arthritis sufferers. I on the other hand, am happy to admit, know nothing!

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:10 am

Duke wrote:Going back to Boertien along with Weston have we ever had 2 better full backs at the club at the same time. i hope DD is working on a new deal for them , they have proved their fitness and quality imo.

Spot on Duke. I'd go as far as to say Boertien is the classiest left back I've ever seen at the club.

As for Weston, certainly one of the best, if not the best, right-back I've seen at Walsall.

Unfortunately Duke, I don't think Boertien HAS proved his fitness. We know he is injury-prone and I think it would be wrong to offer him too long a deal until we've seen that he can play 20-30 consecutive games for the club.

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:28 am

ShropsSaddler wrote:
Duke wrote:Going back to Boertien along with Weston have we ever had 2 better full backs at the club at the same time. i hope DD is working on a new deal for them , they have proved their fitness and quality imo.

Spot on Duke. I'd go as far as to say Boertien is the classiest left back I've ever seen at the club.

As for Weston, certainly one of the best, if not the best, right-back I've seen at Walsall.

Unfortunately Duke, I don't think Boertien HAS proved his fitness. We know he is injury-prone and I think it would be wrong to offer him too long a deal until we've seen that he can play 20-30 consecutive games for the club.

fair comment Shrops . looking back at his career stats Boertien has missed a lot of games.

http://www.saddlers.premiumtv.co.uk/pag ... 53,00.html

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:59 pm

And as a salesman, and one who has worked in the thankless environment on non-league football I would like to add that one of the most potent marketing tools for growing a customer base is word of mouth of existing,satisfied customers. Those of us that do go could do a lot more to promote the club and encourage the waverers, far too many are content to spend their energy whinging about the club which is hardly going to engender a feeling of positivity to those whose attendance could make such a crucial difference to the club's finances and future success.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:21 pm

Geordiesaddler wrote:And as a salesman, and one who has worked in the thankless environment on non-league football I would like to add that one of the most potent marketing tools for growing a customer base is word of mouth of existing,satisfied customers. Those of us that do go could do a lot more to promote the club and encourage the waverers, far too many are content to spend their energy whinging about the club which is hardly going to engender a feeling of positivity to those whose attendance could make such a crucial difference to the club's finances and future success.

I agree totally. Last Saturday I sat with 20 seven-year olds and about ten parents at a birthday party at The Banks's. The child concerned was a Villa fan, from a Villa family, but came to my son's party and his folks were so impressed they booked his at WFC as a result. He also comes with my son to football training at The Banks's on a Monday night - in full Walsall kit, with his brother (ditto) and their cousin. They all had a great day and are of an age when they can be 'turned' to the Dark Side that is WFC. It's happened to another of his friends who, through pester power, is now a Mini Red and to take advantage of the free match tickets her Dad has bought a half season ticket. They love it, and I'm convinced he'll buy a full ticket next year.

"I believe the children are our future." - W Houston
:D

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:26 pm

King Crimson wrote:
Geordiesaddler wrote:And as a salesman, and one who has worked in the thankless environment on non-league football I would like to add that one of the most potent marketing tools for growing a customer base is word of mouth of existing,satisfied customers. Those of us that do go could do a lot more to promote the club and encourage the waverers, far too many are content to spend their energy whinging about the club which is hardly going to engender a feeling of positivity to those whose attendance could make such a crucial difference to the club's finances and future success.

I agree totally. Last Saturday I sat with 20 seven-year olds and about ten parents at a birthday party at The Banks's. The child concerned was a Villa fan, from a Villa family, but came to my son's party and his folks were so impressed they booked his at WFC as a result. He also comes with my son to football training at The Banks's on a Monday night - in full Walsall kit, with his brother (ditto) and their cousin. They all had a great day and are of an age when they can be 'turned' to the Dark Side that is WFC. It's happened to another of his friends who, through pester power, is now a Mini Red and to take advantage of the free match tickets her Dad has bought a half season ticket. They love it, and I'm convinced he'll buy a full ticket next year.

"I believe the children are our future." - W Houston

Kids are definitely the answer. But neither the club nor - equally importantly - many of the whingers one here will be prepared to wait fifteen years to see the results. The whingers would consider it a "lack of ambition" because it doesn't involve spending vast sums of money on the off chance of success.

Cueball
UTS Regular

Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:47 pm

bangsection wrote:
Geordiesaddler wrote:
Marketing?? what about passion, loyalty, fire in the belly?? Or shall we wait for the goverment and the ad men to tell us when to be excited?

As an ad man, I can confirm that you now all have permission to get excited.

Cueball - how about approaching the club to offer your award-winning creative insight?

Well I would do, but as an agency I think we might soon be working for the competition... :wink:

m&m
Glitterati

Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:24 pm

Sorry PJD have to go with Geordie on this one.As Magners and ice --seems a bit gay to me.

What about a central tv add though instead of the Easy-Fit one? JB would feature urging the good people of Walsall that their club needs them.Cue rousing music/scantilly clad babes etc...

Use the Fox money for this.What do you think PJD?

aaaae
Site Addict

Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:47 pm

m&m wrote:Sorry PJD have to go with Geordie on this one.As Magners and ice --seems a bit gay to me.

That's my point, people drink M&I even though it's gay because they saw a television campaign full of beautiful Irish people doing just that. Before that they weren't quaffing Strongbow or Woodpecker and Ice. BTW mines a pint of Best.

m&m wrote:What about a central tv add though instead of the Easy-Fit one? JB would feature urging the good people of Walsall that their club needs them.Cue rousing music/scantilly clad babes etc...

Use the Fox money for this.What do you think PJD?

I like the advertising idea although radio advertising gives you far more bang for your buck. It is relatively cheap and our area has lots of commercial radio stations. You could even get Banks's to co-fund it. "Be a part of the Bank's Revolution" etc etc.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:17 pm

Dross game lets be honest. Theyre goalie was clearly a pile of tripe yet we didnt test him enough.

Nichollls does lots of running but is awful once he gets past his man. Demogntagnac was an absolute disgrace last night, couldnt trap a landmine, and if mark wright was lazy, what does that make ishy?

Solid defence, we just need a cutting edge. Holmes was wipping in lovely balls, but no one to stick em in the net, when mooney decided to try and shoot from 25 yards that summed up the night, no one making any runs.

I left feeling very frustrated last night, our need for a striker is urgent. The pitch didnt help but thats no excuse.

Nicholls will be playin for kiddersminster in a year or so. Deeney is a workaholic, but i cant see what he is actually good at other than that.

Ive never been one to moan at DD, infact ive defended him all the way in criticism of the fans, he is justified in moaning at the stay away fans, but if he thinks last night was beautiful, entertaining football, he is deluded.

Over and out.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:03 am

latviancheese wrote:Dross game lets be honest. Theyre goalie was clearly a pile of tripe yet we didnt test him enough.

Nichollls does lots of running but is awful once he gets past his man. Demogntagnac was an absolute disgrace last night, couldnt trap a landmine, and if mark wright was lazy, what does that make ishy?

Solid defence, we just need a cutting edge. Holmes was wipping in lovely balls, but no one to stick em in the net, when mooney decided to try and shoot from 25 yards that summed up the night, no one making any runs.

I left feeling very frustrated last night, our need for a striker is urgent. The pitch didnt help but thats no excuse.

Nicholls will be playin for kiddersminster in a year or so. Deeney is a workaholic, but i cant see what he is actually good at other than that.

Ive never been one to moan at DD, infact ive defended him all the way in criticism of the fans, he is justified in moaning at the stay away fans, but if he thinks last night was beautiful, entertaining football, he is deluded.

Over and out.

But it was. We passed the ball well, mixed it up long and short and used the flanks well, while defending superbly. The only missing ingredient was a finish. Don't make the mistake of thinking that good football is only about goals.

Oh, and to agree with a couple of earlier posts, I think Weston and Boertien have the potential to be the best pair we've ever had at full back and aren't far off now. Both could play at the next level, I'm sure.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:19 pm

oh, our defending is beautifull i must say. And our attacking play is some of the best i have seen, i just dont see the other night as a wonderful entertaining game.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:37 pm

latviancheese wrote:oh, our defending is beautifull i must say. And our attacking play is some of the best i have seen, i just dont see the other night as a wonderful entertaining game.

We did play some good stuff mate. I didn't think it was a great game either. Mainly because there was only one team wanted to play, and try and win the match. The game reminded me a lot of Tranmere and Crewe away. We huffed and puffed, but never really looked like blowing the house down.

Exile
Jobsworth

Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:39 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:We huffed and puffed, but never really looked like blowing the house down.

That'll be because we're not Big Bad Wolves...

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:43 pm

Exile wrote:
Blazing_Saddler wrote:We huffed and puffed, but never really looked like blowing the house down.

Don't! You'll get Big Bazz started.

big baz 1
UTS Legend

Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:41 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
Exile wrote:

8) and its baz with one z not 2

gerryhatrick
UTS Legend

Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:41 pm

big baz 1 wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:
Exile wrote:

Leave it out, mate.

We know that you're the phoney. Why do you feel the need to steal someone elses identity ?

You make me sick. You're nothing but a slimey leech. :evil:

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:59 pm

gerryhatrick wrote:
big baz 1 wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:
Exile wrote:

Leave it out, mate.

We know that you're the phoney. Why do you feel the need to steal someone elses identity ?

You make me sick. You're nothing but a slimey leech. :evil:

PreviousNext
Return to 2007-08 Season