Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Gillingham (H) League 1 Saturday 26/1/08.

Reports and reaction from the 2007-08 season as Walsall finished 12th in League 1
Duke
Site Addict

Re: Gillingham (H) League 1 Saturday 26/1/08.

Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:52 am

big baz 1 wrote:It was inces ball to come for ag had a defender to hold off . Ag was expecting ince to come and claim it when ince didnt ag had to deal with it and ag righfully had a go at ince. Ant was calling for ince to come for it.

Agreed Baz, Gerrard had his hand full holding the forward off he did a great job doing just that , he was screaming at Ince to come for the ball .

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:58 pm

Regarding the attendances, it is very disappointing - even with a reasonable following from a club as far away as Gillingham. I think there's several reasons...

- Yes - the people of walsall are apathetic and more should turn up, especially when the club is on such a steady course upwards. BUT I think as much blame can be aportioned to the club for not trying to attract new fans. We know the people of walsall are apathetic, so quite frankly it's up to the club to make them want to come along.

Our football isn't the most attractive or most interesting - and if we weren't winning or drawing I think that would have an affect, but when we're on such good form I'd have thought the majority just care about the result, sod the performance.

Local media don't help, WM are a disgrace in their coverage of Walsall, it's the worst I've ever known it from WM, they pay little or no attention to us, and when they do it's often condescending little old walsall stuff.

Also, I think the Merson era had a massive negative effect on the clubs' support. I think many supporters were put off by Bonsers unbelievable continued support for a muppet and just the whole way the club was run.

Yes people in Walsall are apathetic, but theres still a huge untapped resevoir of people that any marketing expert would love to dig in to, and we should be doing this during this period of sustained success because at the moment we have something to shout about, at the moment a walsall fan is a proud one.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:21 pm

philthesaddler wrote:Regarding the attendances, it is very disappointing - even with a reasonable following from a club as far away as Gillingham. I think there's several reasons...

- Yes - the people of walsall are apathetic and more should turn up, especially when the club is on such a steady course upwards. BUT I think as much blame can be aportioned to the club for not trying to attract new fans. We know the people of walsall are apathetic, so quite frankly it's up to the club to make them want to come along.

Our football isn't the most attractive or most interesting - and if we weren't winning or drawing I think that would have an affect, but when we're on such good form I'd have thought the majority just care about the result, sod the performance.

Local media don't help, WM are a disgrace in their coverage of Walsall, it's the worst I've ever known it from WM, they pay little or no attention to us, and when they do it's often condescending little old walsall stuff.

Also, I think the Merson era had a massive negative effect on the clubs' support. I think many supporters were put off by Bonsers unbelievable continued support for a muppet and just the whole way the club was run.

Yes people in Walsall are apathetic, but theres still a huge untapped resevoir of people that any marketing expert would love to dig in to, and we should be doing this during this period of sustained success because at the moment we have something to shout about, at the moment a walsall fan is a proud one.

Completely agree.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:34 pm

Exile wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:Regarding the attendances, it is very disappointing - even with a reasonable following from a club as far away as Gillingham. I think there's several reasons...

- Yes - the people of Walsall are apathetic and more should turn up, especially when the club is on such a steady course upwards. BUT I think as much blame can be apportioned to the club for not trying to attract new fans. We know the people of Walsall are apathetic, so quite frankly it's up to the club to make them want to come along.

Our football isn't the most attractive or most interesting - and if we weren't winning or drawing I think that would have an effect, but when we're on such good form I'd have thought the majority just care about the result, sod the performance.

Local media don't help, WM are a disgrace in their coverage of Walsall, it's the worst I've ever known it from WM, they pay little or no attention to us, and when they do it's often condescending little old Walsall stuff.

Also, I think the Merson era had a massive negative effect on the clubs' support. I think many supporters were put off by Bonser's unbelievable continued support for a muppet and just the whole way the club was run.

Yes people in Walsall are apathetic, but theres still a huge untapped reservoir of people that any marketing expert would love to dig in to, and we should be doing this during this period of sustained success because at the moment we have something to shout about, at the moment a Walsall fan is a proud one.

Completely agree.

So do I. Roy Wallet is a genuine Saddlers fan and he does his best but the club needs some-one who is good at marketing and P.R. to organise an ongoing concerted campaign to increase our fanbase. It will take a long time, thanks to the presence of our so-called more illustrious neighbours.

Greg WP

Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:35 pm

Not sure about a negative Merson effect. Our support is about 800 off since he left. Personally I think Im starting to agree with DDs inferences that we are just a poor set of fans.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:24 pm

Greg WP wrote:Not sure about a negative Merson effect. Our support is about 800 off since he left. Personally I think Im starting to agree with DDs inferences that we are just a poor set of fans.

I know what you mean, but it's not that "we are a poor set of fans" (and I don't think DD necessarily thinks that). It's the rest of the town that is putting on a poor show: those who are Villa, Wolves and Albion fans.

We are, however, a small set of fans.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:30 pm

Plastic Hawk wrote:
Greg WP wrote:Not sure about a negative Merson effect. Our support is about 800 off since he left. Personally I think Im starting to agree with DDs inferences that we are just a poor set of fans.

I know what you mean, but it's not that "we are a poor set of fans" (and I don't think DD necessarily thinks that). It's the rest of the town that is putting on a poor show: those who are Villa, Wolves and Albion fans.

There's plenty of other part time Walsall fans that let us down. There aren't 295,000 Wolves, Villa and Albion fans making up the population.

Greg WP

Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:32 pm

Plastic Hawk wrote:

Yes I agree. I wonder though if there are fans out there who have simply fallen out with DD after his digs at us? Im at a loss to explain why our support is crumbling the way it is.

tinned
Site Addict

Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:35 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
Plastic Hawk wrote:

There's plenty of other part time Walsall fans that let us down. There aren't 295,000 Wolves, Villa and Albion fans making up the population.

You wanna see the amount of Villa fans getting off the train at Bescot. Bloody dozens of 'em, all asking how we got on and looking genuinley pleased when they hear we've won. Still trapse past the Bonks's every other week to get their Premiership "buzz".

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:36 pm

tinned wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:
Plastic Hawk wrote:

You wanna see the amount of Villa fans getting off the train at Bescot. Bloody dozens of 'em, all asking how we got on and looking genuinley pleased when they hear we've won. Still trapse past the Bonks's every other week to get their Premiership "buzz".

Of course there is. But we managed around 7,000+ of our own fans for Leeds, why can't half of those turn up more often?

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:46 pm

The Villa fans can carry on going to Villa, and paying through the nose, to watch a mediocre Premiership team. I'd rather watch repeats of Hetty wainthropp Investigates than that sh**

There is something quite nice about going to an away game, walking in a pub full of Walsall fans, and knowing every single face in there. What ever happens to Walsall FC, the same old faithfull fans will be there, and that is what matters most.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:26 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:I'd rather watch repeats of Hetty wainthropp Investigates

Hyacinth Bucket and Charlie off of Lost teaming up to solve mysteries? Who wouldn't want to watch?

sid swifty
Glitterati

Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:59 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
tinned wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:
Plastic Hawk wrote:

Of course there is. But we managed around 7,000+ of our own fans for Leeds, why can't half of those turn up more often?

Well thats a hard one.... :roll:....maybe Leeds are the biggest club outside the premiership....and Gillingham aren't.... :wink:

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:57 am

Am I the only one who feels that Alex Nicholls is hard done to not starting in front of Deeney? I thought he looked more likely to score in the little time he was on. Puzzles me.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:40 am

Wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:Am I the only one who feels that Alex Nicholls is hard done to not starting in front of Deeney? I thought he looked more likely to score in the little time he was on. Puzzles me.

Yep - it's just you mate... oh, and Alex Nichols :mrgreen:

big baz 1
UTS Legend

Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:14 am

Wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:Am I the only one who feels that Alex Nicholls is hard done to not starting in front of Deeney? I thought he looked more likely to score in the little time he was on. Puzzles me.
I heard you and percie
disscusiing this coming away from the ground after the game.I would say that deeny is good enough for league 1 and so is nicholls, but if i had to choose between the two i would pick deeny. Though he was knackered when the final whistle went he just fell to the floor with exhaustion because he had ran himslef into the ground. Troy had 1 or 2 chances to score himself in the game and the thing is it was not long ago that he was playing non league football and working as a brickie, so to see how far he has come in such a short space of time is great.

Big Bazz

Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:44 am

Walsall will win, 2-1.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:51 am

I just like the fact we have two young strikers, both of whom can be trusted to start up front and neither would let us down.

priestley_saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:11 am

For what its worth I'd have started Nicholls instead of Deeney. Deeney's more of a Mooney type player and before the game I was concerned that they'd be too similar and we may have more success with Nicholls pace.

However, we won the game and Deeney played well which I guess justifies DD's decision.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:32 am

Alex Nicholls may be sharper and perhaps the more promising player but you're looking at it from the wrong angle. Deeney's first touch is far better and he can hold the ball up more and brings others into possession. We keep the ball far better than when Nicholls plays (as he proved with his poor first touch when he came on). All the better teams at any level keep possession whilst waiting for players to get into positions to score. Deeney gives us that and although Nicholls has other qualities he doesn't give us that.

Same with Ricketts. He's not a prolific goalscorer but he brings others into play, which is vital. As long as the other striker in the partnership balances the scoring it works great.

Watch Deeney a bit more closely if you want to know why he's keeping his place in the team.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:49 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:

Alex Nicholls may be sharper and perhaps the more promising player but you're looking at it from the wrong angle. Deeney's first touch is far better and he can hold the ball up more and brings others into possession. We keep the ball far better than when Nicholls plays (as he proved with his poor first touch when he came on). All the better teams at any level keep possession whilst waiting for players to get into positions to score. Deeney gives us that and although Nicholls has other qualities he doesn't give us that.

Same with Ricketts. He's not a prolific goalscorer but he brings others into play, which is vital. As long as the other striker in the partnership balances the scoring it works great.

Watch Deeney a bit more closely if you want to know why he's keeping his place in the team.

It's amazing reading comments on this thread and others (and this isn't aimed at anyone in particular) just how few people actually watch anything other than the ball when they go to the match. So much of the good work that several players do when we lose possession (or the abysmal defensive positioning and tracking of one or two) is totally missed.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:06 am

Plastic Hawk wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:

It's amazing reading comments on this thread and others (and this isn't aimed at anyone in particular) just how few people actually watch anything other than the ball when they go to the match. So much of the good work that several players do when we lose possession (or the abysmal defensive positioning and tracking of one or two) is totally missed.

Agree, and it's usually Metfan which is why he rates Dobson.

And he wonders why Mark Wright is playing professional football and not him. CLUELESS. :mrgreen: x x x

Duke
Site Addict

Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:17 am

I thought Deeney was superb on saturday , my man of the match . Full of running brilliant hold up play linked up well with Mooney very promising . a younger version of Mooney you could say. :D

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:18 am

With regard to the terrible attendance on Saturday - here's what I don't understand - our equivalent fixture last year was on the 27/1/07 when we played Boston at home - hardly a big draw - and the previous game was our lack lustre performance at Mansfield and yet we had 5058 for that game - 144 more than on Saturday.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:21 am

Duke wrote:I thought Deeney was superb on saturday , my man of the match . Full of running brilliant hold up play linked up well with Mooney very promising . a younger version of Mooney you could say. :D

Deeney was very good. He just needs to get over his tendency to panic a bit (both when passing and shooting) in the last 20 yards and he'll be an excellent player at this level.

I've no doubt that will come with time (he's always scored goals at other levels), but it may not come until he's had a spell out of the side to reflect on how he's performed. I don't think he should be dropped (for Nicholls - who's a bit head down and much less aware of what's around him - at any rate) at the moment, which means that his first chance for an extended break might be the summer. I'd expect him to be a much bigger goal threat next season.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:23 am

PJD wrote:With regard to the terrible attendance on Saturday - here's what I don't understand - our equivalent fixture last year was on the 27/1/07 when we played Boston at home - hardly a big draw - and the previous game was our lack lustre performance at Mansfield and yet we had 5058 for that game - 144 more than on Saturday.

It's just odd. I don't understand it at all. The only thing I can put it down to is that we have some very shallow casual fans. Last season we got off to a very quick start and were top for most of the season whereas this season we looked rubbish for the first month or so. I can only think that some people wrote off the entire season on the basis of those first few games and haven't yet realized what's happened since. :? :?

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:09 am

Thought it was a well earned three points against a Gill's side we looked half decent except been inept upfront.

I thought Deeney was excellent, his movement and ball control was good and the bloke kepted going even though near the end it was obvious he was completely knackered. Moonster put in a great shift again and the team as a whole worked hard and remained organised. Thought Bradley looked a little quieter than usual, but saying that he has raised his own standards of what we expect from him this season.

The Gills keeper's save from Gerrard was superb, and a minute earlier he did really well to turn away Holmes's shot. Crofts goal for them at the death was mental. Quality shot.

The red Money juggernaught trundles on. :mrgreen:

Greg WP

Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:24 am

We cant dismiss the Villa connection re the gate on Saturday. Three 'fans' that we chat with before the match were at the Villa on Saturday 'sitting in the Holte End with their kids for less than the F2G upper'. Perhaps they were the only three. Good point about Boston . The Gills brought more fans than they did too. :(

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:52 am

Greg WP wrote:We cant dismiss the Villa connection re the gate on Saturday. Three 'fans' that we chat with before the match were at the Villa on Saturday 'sitting in the Holte End with their kids for less than the F2G upper'. Perhaps they were the only three. Good point about Boston . The Gills brought more fans than they did too. :(

This may well be the reason, Villa didn't play at home on the day we played Boston.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:38 pm

Greg WP wrote:We cant dismiss the Villa connection re the gate on Saturday. Three 'fans' that we chat with before the match were at the Villa on Saturday 'sitting in the Holte End with their kids for less than the F2G upper'. Perhaps they were the only three. Good point about Boston . The Gills brought more fans than they did too. :(

It depends though. Kids can get free season tickets at Walsall under a certain age but this doesn't appeal to part time fans.

This is where marketing is key and why it gets mentioned all the time by some of us. If we sent out a leaflet to all potential fans in the area (not just ex season ticket holders) telling them they could come to the game and their young children can get in free/cheap then they might well have snapped up that season ticket offer and not gone to the Villa.

It's quite simple really and is something that will be bought up at the Focus meeting.

PreviousNext
Return to 2007-08 Season