Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Gillingham (H) League 1 Saturday 26/1/08.

Reports and reaction from the 2007-08 season as Walsall finished 12th in League 1
dinkydotsaddler
UTS Regular

Re: Gillingham (H) League 1 Saturday 26/1/08.

Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:12 pm

Flemish Saddler wrote:
Flemish Saddler wrote:great results!!!!! well' be certain of a 4th place but could be 3th aswell, all depends on how you english rank it!!! Overhere it's the team with most wins but think overseas it's something to do with the goals

4th it is!! Up the (Flemish) Saddlers!!!!!!! :o

Only whoever has written the report for the 606 website has put us as 5th I can only assume that they started writing before Luton equalised and assumed Leeds has won!!! Ne'er mind it's all good. Good to be above Leeds anyway :D :D :D

sj
Site Addict

Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:14 pm

Mooney came off because his hamstring felt tight, I saw him gesture to the bench. Did anyone else see it? Do you think he will be fir for Tuesday. :(

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:14 pm

Enniskillen wrote:what a pathetic attendance!
4th in league 1 and less then 5000 attend!

And terrible quiet as well with a good chance to go joint 2nd. The people of Walsall don't deserve promotion to the Championship. Small club, small time fans. Thankfully we have a Chairman and board allowing us to spend within our means but still to be able to compete with other clubs because of the commercial activities, and also a good record of generally appointing managers who give us progress...... :mrgreen: :lol: :P :wink: :D

Yes sj he made the hamster wheel signal to the bench.

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:29 pm

sj wrote:Mooney came off because his hamstring felt tight, I saw him gesture to the bench. Did anyone else see it? Do you think he will be fir for Tuesday. :(

hope so sj , i missed the gesture but DD did wave to us in the second half :D
btw , the OS is saying again DD is very hopeful Ricketts will be fit for Orient

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:45 pm

Sadly, it was never going to be a big attendance today, although I thought it would shade 5,000 [and the 4,914 included 359 Gills :roll: ]. We were getting more 'home' supporters last season, even early on.

I'm not sure what the reason is; apathy has always been an issue in Walsall, and not just regarding football. We were getting considerably more in this division after our relegation from the championship, even though, in the main, we were pretty poor most of the time. Okay, I'm sure some of it was the post-championship 'glow' and the very temporary 'Merson effect', but its still strange.

16 league games unbeaten and the best crop of youngsters in many a long year. Where are the other 1,000 or so who would normally be turning out in such circumstances? Instead of 4,500 regulars, we really should be attracting 5,500 home fans give our current league run.

Maybe they can't quite believe what is happening, because I sure don't. We can't seem to buy a league defeat, under any circumstances, at the moment. It's fabulous of course, but I can't dare to think of anything other than consolidation this year, because I simply do not think we are prepared in the short term for anything more. All credit to DD and JM because I'm not sure where it will all end, but I will enjoy it, no matter how incredulous the whole thing seems to be.

UTS

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:49 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:Job done.

Another goal for the struggling Gambian, poor Sun Tan Man cheap signing. As predicted, he's come good.

Very comfortable until Dobson came on and started to do what he's best at, chasing shadows. We lost possession many times for balls he should have won or hesitate too long, including leading up to the goal. Bradley needs resting I agree but only if Dobson is match fit which he clearly isn't. He can get match fit in the reserves instead of playing like that for me.

Deeney was clearly knackered as early as the second half but still kept running. Nicholls first touch wasn't great when he came on but it's an option, especially now Mooney is back and Ricketts will be too.

Two more important games coming up. 4 points would be nice, 6 would be fantastic, 2 would be acceptable in my opinion against sides around us in the table.

Agree with all that. Attendance was poor - but for many it is the tightest time of the year money wise... today would have been an ideal candidate for reducing the admission (they may have done - aint checked). I suspect similar or maybe less on Tues. Shame really because the players and manager deserve better.

priestley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:02 pm

Pleased with the result, but thought it was quite a boring game.

Highlight of the first 20 mins was the handbags between Clayton and Ant, would like to think DD banged their heads together at half time, especially as Ant refused a high five with Clayton after a block a few minutes later.

Great cross from Deeney for the goal, was very impressed with him today. Clearly still room for improvement but does seem to be getting better game on game.

Brilliant move for the 2nd goal and calm finish from Eddy, who not only seems to have his confidence back but also looks like he's put some weight on. I didn't see Tommy's gesture to the bench but DD brought him off as soon as the 2nd goal went in. I assumed he thought the game was up and was just resting him. We did seem a bit light in midfield when Bradley went off and you could tell Dobson wasn't match fit.

Roper was steady but unspectacular, didn't really do enough to give DD a selection headache for Tuesday.

Gillinghams goal was a beauty, you can't defend goals like that.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Memo to Gavin: We were playing Gillingham, not Millwall. :wink:
Last edited by priestley_saddler on Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:07 pm

Whitti Steve wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:Job done.

Another goal for the struggling Gambian, poor Sun Tan Man cheap signing. As predicted, he's come good.

Very comfortable until Dobson came on and started to do what he's best at, chasing shadows. We lost possession many times for balls he should have won or hesitate too long, including leading up to the goal. Bradley needs resting I agree but only if Dobson is match fit which he clearly isn't. He can get match fit in the reserves instead of playing like that for me.

Deeney was clearly knackered as early as the second half but still kept running. Nicholls first touch wasn't great when he came on but it's an option, especially now Mooney is back and Ricketts will be too.

Two more important games coming up. 4 points would be nice, 6 would be fantastic, 2 would be acceptable in my opinion against sides around us in the table.

Agree with all that. Attendance was poor - but for many it is the tightest time of the year money wise... today would have been an ideal candidate for reducing the admission (they may have done - aint checked). I suspect similar or maybe less on Tues. Shame really because the players and manager deserve better.

Was just gonna say a similar thing myself Steve. January is a nasty month for things like paying off Christmas bills, trying to keep to New Year's resolutions about tightening the belt etc etc. Also, maybe people get paid during this coming week so money is tight near the end of the month. I guess Gillingham isn't the most glamorous fixture to jump out on the fixture list either.

For me, after going to 4 games in 2 weeks over Christmas and New Year it has simply been a case of 'having a few weeks off', combined with end of month bills like car tax and TV licence that money is needed for. I'm back on the Walsall Wagon next week though and making the trip to Carlisle!! :wink:

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:08 pm

priestley_saddler wrote: Highlight of the first 20 mins was the handbags between Clayton and Ant, would like to think DD banged their heads together at half time, especially as Ant refused a high five with Clayton after a block a few minutes later

It's happened several times between the two over the last 18 months. They don't get on and are free to give each other stick as soon as they get the chance. There's nothing wrong with that in my opinion. It gives us a laugh and shows that they care about winning, same as Adebayor and Bendtner for Arsenal the other night.

They did congratulate each other for doing something right later on in the game.

PS - By criticising the attendances, I'm not criticising people on here for not going to every match, I'm criticising a large percentage of the towns 300,000 population for not being @rsed once in a while.

Pheasey_Saddler
UTS Regular

Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:16 pm

I agree with the reasons given for the low attendance today.

I personally had to chose between today's game and Tuesday's match as I have got a lot on at the moment. I decided to go for the Orient game as I feel that is a bigger game as we are playing one of our rivals for promotion. Hopefully, there are many others thinking the same way and we will have a much bigger attendance for Tuesday.

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:21 pm

Gerrrad was livid with Ince because the keeper didn't come for a ball he should have , although i don't seeing playrers argue Gerrard was right to be angry , but i'm sure there's no ill feeling between the 2 , Gerrard congratulated Ince a couple of times
later in the game for commanding his area.

big baz 1
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:23 pm

Walsall will be a championship team next season.

big baz 1
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:23 pm

Im sure of that

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:27 pm

I wouldn't be a at all surprised Baz me old mate :D

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:38 pm

Duke wrote:Gerrrad was livid with Ince because the keeper didn't come for a ball he should have , although i don't seeing playrers argue Gerrard was right to be angry , but i'm sure there's no ill feeling between the 2 , Gerrard congratulated Ince a couple of times

Actually, I thought that ball was moving far too slowly for Ince to come for it. Unless he gets a call then Gerrard has to take responsibility for it and clear it, not just point at it (and it was still outside the penalty box when he started pointing at it). Ince has had a few moments recently, but sometimes AG is quick to look to others to point the finger at when he makes an error and I think this was one of those occasions.

I think we missed Dann at the back and that fed through into the performance of the team as a whole. Without his composure on the ball we often just lumped it anywhere at the back when under even the slightest pressure and that just led to Gillingham getting the ball back and coming at us again. A problem that was only made worse by the arrival of a clearly mot match sharp Dobson. He needed too much time on the ball every time he received it and ended up giving it away a lot.

However, Gillingham were poor and we were much better at the top end of the pitch (with Mooney back, Deeney looking very good and Sonko and Holmes always threatening) so we were always likely to get a second as long as they didn't equalize first. Overall, not the best game, but I think we showed the necessary quality (and determination) to win it, whereas they didn't.

big baz 1
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:49 pm

It was inces ball to come for ag had a defender to hold off . Ag was expecting ince to come and claim it when ince didnt ag had to deal with it and ag righfully had a go at ince. Ant was calling for ince to come for it.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:57 pm

big baz 1 wrote:It was inces ball to come for ag had a defender to hold off . Ag was expecting ince to come and claim it when ince didnt ag had to deal with it and ag righfully had a go at ince. Ant was calling for ince to come for it.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree - but "expecting" something to happen isn't enough to make it not your fault if it doesn't and the consequences are bad. As a defender, you deal with the problem unless you're specifically called off by the keeper - Gerrard wasn't.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:38 pm

Thought it was a good game today and full credit to Gillingham for coming and trying to play - they are clearly a much better side now that Stimson is in charge. The pitch didn't help much, for either team, but there was plenty of decent football on show. We did what we had to do and, as normal under Money, everyone did their bit - including the much maligned Roper and Dobson.

I think the problem when Dobson came on was that no one was getting forward to support the strikers. Wrack was either told to carry on sitting deep or the message didn't get through to him that he should be playing the Bradley role. Still, not to worry, we got the win we deserved and it could have been a bit more comfortable but for some slightly erratic finishing.

Mooney made all the difference for me. He unsettled their defenders, which allowed Sonko and Deeney a bit more space than they've enjoyed recently. He held the ball up well, moved off the ball expertly, scored one and set up the other. Take nothing away from Deeney and Nicholls, who really are coming along well, but I dare say that we would only have drawn that match had Mooney not been fit.

We're now firmly in the play-offs and starting to break away from the teams on the fringes. If we can keep Mooney fit and sign Ricketts or another striker until the end of the season then I am confident of a top-six finish.

Oh, and the last word goes to today's linesmen. I agree with Phil - I assume they were too embarrassed to pick up their pay cheque after the game. I've never known so many simple decisions given the wrong way (and the only ones they got right were when the ref signalled for them).

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:46 pm

Registered Saddler wrote:Thought it was a good game today and full credit to Gillingham for coming and trying to play - they are clearly a much better side now that Stimson is in charge. The pitch didn't help much, for either team, but there was plenty of decent football on show. We did what we had to do and, as normal under Money, everyone did their bit - including the much maligned Roper and Dobson.

I think the problem when Dobson came on was that no one was getting forward to support the strikers. Wrack was either told to carry on sitting deep or the message didn't get through to him that he should be playing the Bradley role. Still, not to worry, we got the win we deserved and it could have been a bit more comfortable but for some slightly erratic finishing.

Mooney made all the difference for me. He unsettled their defenders, which allowed Sonko and Deeney a bit more space than they've enjoyed recently. He held the ball up well, moved off the ball expertly, scored one and set up the other. Take nothing away from Deeney and Nicholls, who really are coming along well, but I dare say that we would only have drawn that match had Mooney not been fit.

We're now firmly in the play-offs and starting to break away from the teams on the fringes. If we can keep Mooney fit and sign Ricketts or another striker until the end of the season then I am confident of a top-six finish.

Oh, and the last word goes to today's linesmen. I agree with Phil - I assume they were too embarrassed to pick up their pay cheque after the game. I've never known so many simple decisions given the wrong way (and the only ones they got right were when the ref signalled for them).

I was particularly impressed with the occasion when the ref (50 yards away) had to overrule the linesman (less than a yard away) when he tried to give a goal kick to Gillingham after someone (Sonko?) played the ball off a defender's shins for a corner.

deanonev69
Glitterati

Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:15 pm

Plastic Hawk wrote:
Duke wrote:Gerrrad was livid with Ince because the keeper didn't come for a ball he should have , although i don't seeing playrers argue Gerrard was right to be angry , but i'm sure there's no ill feeling between the 2 , Gerrard congratulated Ince a couple of times

Actually, I thought that ball was moving far too slowly for Ince to come for it. Unless he gets a call then Gerrard has to take responsibility for it and clear it, not just point at it (and it was still outside the penalty box when he started pointing at it). Ince has had a few moments recently, but sometimes AG is quick to look to others to point the finger at when he makes an error and I think this was one of those occasions.

I think we missed Dann at the back and that fed through into the performance of the team as a whole. Without his composure on the ball we often just lumped it anywhere at the back when under even the slightest pressure and that just led to Gillingham getting the ball back and coming at us again. A problem that was only made worse by the arrival of a clearly mot match sharp Dobson. He needed too much time on the ball every time he received it and ended up giving it away a lot.

However, Gillingham were poor and we were much better at the top end of the pitch (with Mooney back, Deeney looking very good and Sonko and Holmes always threatening) so we were always likely to get a second as long as they didn't equalize first. Overall, not the best game, but I think we showed the necessary quality (and determination) to win it, whereas they didn't.

Agree with you totally about Ince and Gerrard-was edge of the box and Gerrard had to be decisive. Missed Dann's assurance at the back

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:01 pm

Plastic Hawk wrote:Actually, I thought that ball was moving far too slowly for Ince to come for it. Unless he gets a call then Gerrard has to take responsibility for it and clear it, not just point at it (and it was still outside the penalty box when he started pointing at it). Ince has had a few moments recently, but sometimes AG is quick to look to others to point the finger at when he makes an error and I think this was one of those occasions.

Hmm - if I were the team manager, I would be expecting my goalkeeper (particularly if he were an experienced full international player) to "boss" the situation, in those circumstances. If Ince wanted Gerrard to clear the ball, then he should have bellowed at him, IMMEDIATELY, to clear his lines - not wait until the two of them were almost in each other's arms! It's not the first time that we have seen indecision from big Clayton, this season. Personally, I think he deserved the bol****ing that he got off Gerrard - and the other one, shortly afterwards, from Mooney!

Plastic Hawk wrote:However, Gillingham were poor .....................Overall, not the best game, but I think we showed the necessary quality (and determination) to win it, whereas they didn't.

Bit harsh on the Gills, there, PH, if you don't mind me saying so. They were not poor, imho. In fact their approach play was good and they controlled large parts of the game. Where they were lacking, luckily for us, was in the final end product. Their finishing (apart from that late cracker of a goal) was abysmal. Had they had a half-decent finisher, we would probably have lost. Fortunately, we defended well.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:47 pm

Pedagogue wrote:
Plastic Hawk wrote:Actually, I thought that ball was moving far too slowly for Ince to come for it. Unless he gets a call then Gerrard has to take responsibility for it and clear it, not just point at it (and it was still outside the penalty box when he started pointing at it). Ince has had a few moments recently, but sometimes AG is quick to look to others to point the finger at when he makes an error and I think this was one of those occasions.

Hmm - if I were the team manager, I would be expecting my goalkeeper (particularly if he were an experienced full international player) to "boss" the situation, in those circumstances. If Ince wanted Gerrard to clear the ball, then he should have bellowed at him, IMMEDIATELY, to clear his lines - not wait until the two of them were almost in each other's arms! It's not the first time that we have seen indecision from big Clayton, this season. Personally, I think he deserved the bol****ing that he got off Gerrard - and the other one, shortly afterwards, from Mooney!

Plastic Hawk wrote:However, Gillingham were poor .....................Overall, not the best game, but I think we showed the necessary quality (and determination) to win it, whereas they didn't.

Bit harsh on the Gills, there, PH, if you don't mind me saying so. They were not poor, imho. In fact their approach play was good and they controlled large parts of the game. Where they were lacking, luckily for us, was in the final end product. Their finishing (apart from that late cracker of a goal) was abysmal. Had they had a half-decent finisher, we would probably have lost. Fortunately, we defended well.

I agree with all the too.. I thought the Gills were a better tema than their position suggests. No.36 (not sure of his name - the gypo one :mrgreen: ) ran the show for them and looked good until he lost heart later on.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:54 am

I thought it was quite a good game to be honest. I enjoyed it anyway. We needed to win badly, we won, that will do me.

There is no one player in that squad that you can say doesn't give their all for Walsall, and that alone is something to be proud of. The fact we are actually a good team is fantastic. Two massive games coming up now, and I can't wait for them

The Ince and Gerrard thing. Hand bags at ten paces. I thought Ince should have come for it, but as a defender, if Gerrard has any doubt, then put it in the stand. Not the first time they have had a little squabble, it doesn't seem to course any realy problems with team morale, so as long as it goes no further than it did today, it's no big deal really.

Least is shows they care.

sj
Site Addict

Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:09 am

I hope that nasty Gerrard doesn't upset Incy. Incy is the nicest of men you can see it in his face. Ince is one of those men that would look scary in a dress :shock:

sid swifty
Glitterati

Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:27 am

sj wrote:I hope that nasty Gerrard doesn't upset Incy. Incy is the nicest of men you can see it in his face. Ince is one of those men that would look scary in a dress :shock:

"Ince is one of those men that would look scary in a dress "
So would I sj.... :shock: ....thankfully.... :lol:

Mike T.
UTS Veteran

Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:59 am

Plastic Hawk wrote:
Registered Saddler wrote:Thought it was a good game today and full credit to Gillingham for coming and trying to play - they are clearly a much better side now that Stimson is in charge. The pitch didn't help much, for either team, but there was plenty of decent football on show. We did what we had to do and, as normal under Money, everyone did their bit - including the much maligned Roper and Dobson.

I was particularly impressed with the occasion when the ref (50 yards away) had to overrule the linesman (less than a yard away) when he tried to give a goal kick to Gillingham after someone (Sonko?) played the ball off a defender's shins for a corner.

That was one of my favourite moments as well :!:

Quick comment on the match - I came away thinking that Gillingham - and their number 36 in particular - had bossed possession but the match stats show 50% : 50% - Enjoyed the game - we seem to be a sum greater than its individual parts if you know what I mean. I cant believe fourth in the table - for me it is all a bonus after the start we had - whatever happens in the end. But I am starting to wonder..............

larryhaggler

Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:28 am

I spoke to Moonaldo after the game, I asked if he had an ice bath, which he confirmed with a grin, then said his hamms had tightened up, I think he had some treatment to after the game as he was last one up to the players lounge. I would suspect he may be a doubt for the Orient game, fantastic goal line clearence yesterday too, along with the goal, I think he was the main difference between the 2 sides.

Pheasey_Saddler
UTS Regular

Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:32 am

I think the Orient match is huge in deciding where we will end up at the end of the season. A win will provide us with a nice cushion of 5 points to 7th spot. If we lose, we could well find ourselves outside the play-off places again. Can't wait 'til Tuesday now!

Willy Nilly
UTS Regular

Location: All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear, and disregards the rest.

Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:33 am

sj wrote:Ince is one of those men that would look scary in a dress :shock:

I know a few ladies who look scary in a dress. :shock:

sid swifty
Glitterati

Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:35 am

Willy Nilly wrote:
sj wrote:Ince is one of those men that would look scary in a dress :shock:

I know a few ladies who look scary in a dress. :shock:

Lets hope your mrs doesn't read this thread.... :lol:

PreviousNext
Return to 2007-08 Season