Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Gillingham (H) League 1 Saturday 26/1/08.

Reports and reaction from the 2007-08 season as Walsall finished 12th in League 1
King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Re: Gillingham (H) League 1 Saturday 26/1/08.

Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:20 am

Welsh_Saddler wrote:Perhaps I'm having a "senior moment", but isn't Delroy Facey the chap that got a hat-trick against us when playing for Burnley in those happy days in the Championship?

If Dann and Gerrard are both unavailable I get worried..... I'll go for a 3-2 Saddlers win, our goals to come from Sonko (naturally), Holmes and Wrack.

Yep. He did get a hat-trick against us for Burnley.

Roper frightened the bejesus out of me when he was in for Gerrard a couple of weeks ago. Especially first 20 minutes. Then we he got a yellow card in the first half.

Who moved the goalposts?

Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:00 pm

RED 5
UTS Veteran

Location: CHEADLE HULME,CHEADLE ROYAL OR CHEADLE TOWN OR CHEADLE WITH A C

Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:46 pm

Who moved the goalposts? wrote:Dann's suspension is confirmed.

http://www.saddlers.premiumtv.co.uk/pag ... 67,00.html

Bad news that! Roper is in for a tough game! Mind u though Gerrard should be against Facey! I am sure he is looking forward to the clash with him!

redsaddler
UTS Regular

Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:37 pm

BBC WM reckon Mannie Smith will play instead of Dann. Watch out Ropes!

Prediction? I'll say 2-1 to the Saddlers.

Holmes and Wrack for us, Facey for them.

Attendance of 5,692 including 417 from Gills.

northern_saddler

Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:55 pm

reckon it will be a tough 1.

1-0.

sonko obviously.

LancsSaddler
UTS Regular

Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:14 am

redsaddler wrote:BBC WM reckon Mannie Smith will play instead of Dann. Watch out Ropes!

unless theres something going on with ropers attitude behind the scenes id lose a bit of respect for DD if he played smith ahead of roper.

ropers been sitting on the sidelines, not mouthing off to the press, waiting for his chance. He got it when gerrard was injured and understandibly took 15 minutes to get used to the pace of 1st team football after 2 months on the sidelines. overall though i thought he played pretty well.

it would be very unfair and disrespectful to roper as a senior pro to push mannie smith ahead of him when he hasnt even started a game this season. if he does i think ropers got every right to tell DD to 'go forth and multiply'.

LancsSaddler
UTS Regular

Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:22 am

oh, and 2-0 to the saddlers. ricketts and mooney.

gerryhatrick
UTS Legend

Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:41 am

LancsSaddler wrote:
redsaddler wrote:BBC WM reckon Mannie Smith will play instead of Dann. Watch out Ropes!

unless theres something going on with ropers attitude behind the scenes id lose a bit of respect for DD if he played smith ahead of roper.

ropers been sitting on the sidelines, not mouthing off to the press, waiting for his chance. He got it when gerrard was injured and understandibly took 15 minutes to get used to the pace of 1st team football after 2 months on the sidelines. overall though i thought he played pretty well.

it would be very unfair and disrespectful to roper as a senior pro to push mannie smith ahead of him when he hasnt even started a game this season. if he does i think ropers got every right to tell DD to 'go forth and multiply'.

As an employee of the club, Roper will do as he's told. If unsatisfied he has the
opportunity of "doing a Fox".

sid swifty
Glitterati

Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:13 am

Best news possible....we really need him.
http://www.saddlers.premiumtv.co.uk/pag ... 93,00.html

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:51 am

sid swifty wrote:Best news possible....we really need him.

Sid, you need to get up there a lot more. I'm more excited by the news that Ricketts will be back - he's probably just as, if not more important to the way we play at the moment:

http://upthesaddlers.com/wp/archives/20 ... preview-2/

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:01 am

LancsSaddler wrote:

Smith and Roper have both been playing for the reserves. DD's seen all of the games. He should pick whichever of them he thinks is likely to play better (I don't know who that is, but Roper's experience must give him an edge if there reserve form has been similar). Roper shouldn't get preferential treatment when it comes to selection for being a "senior pro": we've got to pick the team that's most likely to win, not one that's based on sentiment.

I'd actually be surprised if DD doesn't pick Roper (I thought he did ok against Millwall when Gerrard was out), but talking about competition for places is the right thing to do. It keeps Roper on his toes and makes Smith feel like he's got a chance of being the next youngster to break into the side on a semi-regular basis.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:21 am

I don't really take a lot of notice of reserve games these days. However the few times I have read Pedagogue's match reports they have included something like this.

1 Minute. Roper gaff lets player in for easy goal :shock:

I would never write the bloke off though, he has been there and done it all before

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:26 am

Blazing_Saddler wrote:I don't really take a lot of notice of reserve games these days. However the few times I have read Pedagogue's match reports they have included something like this.

Yeah, but Peda didn't rate Mark Wright so what does he know....

It is Friday :mrgreen:

LancsSaddler
UTS Regular

Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:28 am

Plastic Hawk wrote:
LancsSaddler wrote:

Smith and Roper have both been playing for the reserves. DD's seen all of the games. He should pick whichever of them he thinks is likely to play better (I don't know who that is, but Roper's experience must give him an edge if there reserve form has been similar). Roper shouldn't get preferential treatment when it comes to selection for being a "senior pro": we've got to pick the team that's most likely to win, not one that's based on sentiment.

I'd actually be surprised if DD doesn't pick Roper (I thought he did ok against Millwall when Gerrard was out), but talking about competition for places is the right thing to do. It keeps Roper on his toes and makes Smith feel like he's got a chance of being the next youngster to break into the side on a semi-regular basis.

i can see what your saying about keeping roper on his toes. however if DD plays smith ahead of him, then he obviously doesnt trust roper to play. then he should really have told roper that, so that he can find another club to play for.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:13 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:
Blazing_Saddler wrote:I don't really take a lot of notice of reserve games these days. However the few times I have read Pedagogue's match reports they have included something like this.

Yeah, but Peda didn't rate Mark Wright so what does he know....

It is Friday :mrgreen:

I'm not going to bite! 8) :mrgreen:

sid swifty
Glitterati

Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:49 am

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
sid swifty wrote:Best news possible....we really need him.

Sid, you need to get up there a lot more. I'm more excited by the news that Ricketts will be back - he's probably just as, if not more important to the way we play at the moment:

http://upthesaddlers.com/wp/archives/20 ... preview-2/

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:10 pm

LancsSaddler wrote:
Plastic Hawk wrote:
LancsSaddler wrote:

i can see what your saying about keeping roper on his toes. however if DD plays smith ahead of him, then he obviously doesnt trust roper to play. then he should really have told roper that, so that he can find another club to play for.

I agree. And while I do expect Roper to play tomorrow I wouldn't be totally surprised if he left the club in this transfer window (more likely he won't, but it shouldn't be ruled out).

concretehippo

Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:33 pm

Mooney and Ricketts to return in explosive form igniting the crowd to create the best atmosphere this season.

Romp to a 4-1 win with Mooney getting two, Ricketts and Bradley getting one each.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:34 pm

Plastic Hawk wrote:
LancsSaddler wrote:
Plastic Hawk wrote:
LancsSaddler wrote:

I agree. And while I do expect Roper to play tomorrow I wouldn't be totally surprised if he left the club in this transfer window (more likely he won't, but it shouldn't be ruled out).

He won't go anywhere in the transfer window.

If Dann and Gerrard keep attracting interest then sooner or later they'll be off, maybe even in the Summer. We'll need the likes of Roper, familiar with the club and DD to step in.

If we can hang on to the younger players then Ropes might go in the Summer but it's highly unlikely before. He might go to Peterborough. :D

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:57 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
Plastic Hawk wrote:While I do expect Roper to play tomorrow I wouldn't be totally surprised if he left the club in this transfer window (more likely he won't, but it shouldn't be ruled out).

He won't go anywhere in the transfer window.

If Dann and Gerrard keep attracting interest then sooner or later they'll be off, maybe even in the Summer. We'll need the likes of Roper, familiar with the club and DD to step in.

If we can hang on to the younger players then Ropes might go in the Summer but it's highly unlikely before. He might go to Peterborough. :D

You're probably right - especially as he's unlikely to push the issue himself as other players might. I was more just responding to LancsSaddler's comment about DD telling Roper to find another club if Smith was ahead of him. If that were the case (which I don't think it is) then I think moving on would be the right call.

Dann's suspension has got me thinking, though. Both him and Gerrard will be back to being five bookings away from another ban now (and they'd need to get them by the middle of April), so it's only injuries (or red cards) that could keep them out in the forseeable future - and, in any case, we keep saying that Roper needs a game or two to get back into the swing of things and he's not likely to get that kind of run in the team here. If DD's got faith in Smith for the future then he might want to put him in the side a few times to get a bit more experience ready to be the replacement if either Dann or Gerrard leave this time next season (I agree that if they leave in the summer it'll likely be too soon for Smith). Where would that leave Roper?

With this promotion push looking like going the distance then I think we probably do want to keep Roper, but having a player like him on the bench must be a luxury that not many sides at our level can afford. If the right League 2 side came in with a bit of cash then it might give both him and DD an interesting choice.

Rushall Saddler
UTS Veteran

Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:39 pm

Walsall 2 - 1 Gillingham

Ricketts 32 Nutter 63
Wrack 84

Sadders
UTS Legend

Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:42 pm

Any news on a return for both forwards.

gerryhatrick
UTS Legend

Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:54 pm

Sadders wrote:Any news on a return for both forwards.

I guess, as per normal, we'll know around 2.30 tomorrow. :roll:

Goose277
Glitterati

Location: One morning I shot an elephant in my pyjamas. How he got in my pyjamas, I don't know

Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:49 pm

As others have said, a must win game if we want to push for a play off place. Gills have lost 3, won 2 and drawn 1 in their last 6 away games compared to our 4 draws and 2 wins at home. Hopefully the lads will be rested having had a week off (game wise) and, even more hopefully, Mooney will return which will give everyone a boost.

My guess is Roper will fill in for Dann and I'm sure he won't let us down, although I do have some concerns about him taking time to settle into the game.

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:07 am

Do we really want to win this match by a canter?

No, the last thing we want is a goal feast, Bonser would come out with everythings hunky doorie and not sign another striker next week.

Nil Nil draw
370 from Kent

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:57 am

Asps wrote:Do we really want to win this match by a canter?

yes if we are serious about making a promotion push .

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:01 am

No, the last thing we want is a goal feast, Bonser would come out with everythings hunky doorie and not sign another striker next week.

Nil Nil draw
370 from Kent

That is a rather odd and sorry way of looking at things, if you don't mind me saying so

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:13 am

Blazing_Saddler wrote:

Nil Nil draw
370 from Kent

That is a rather odd and sorry way of looking at things, if you don't mind me saying so

Thats the way Bonser is though, if we go and win 4 nil today Bonser will be be less reluctant to spend any money next week on a striker. He'll be of the frame of mind "Scored 4 today well we don't need a striker then", when we all know we do.

Thats all I was getting at.I obviously want us to win today, but it won't be a canter.

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:14 am

Duke wrote:

If we're serious about making a promotion push we need to be strengthening the squad this week.

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:27 am

Asps wrote:
Duke wrote:

If we're serious about making a promotion push we need to be strengthening the squad this week.

if DD wants another striker or midfielder he will sign them , Bonser has backed DD every inch of the way since he took over .
the squad was strengthened at the right time last season when we topped the league. why should this term be any different.

PreviousNext
Return to 2007-08 Season