Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Gillingham (H) League 1 Saturday 26/1/08.

Reports and reaction from the 2007-08 season as Walsall finished 12th in League 1
Neuromantic
Site Addict

Re: Gillingham (H) League 1 Saturday 26/1/08.

Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:50 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
Plastic Hawk wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:
Wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:Am I the only one who feels that Alex Nicholls is hard done to not starting in front of Deeney? I thought he looked more likely to score in the little time he was on. Puzzles me.

Alex Nicholls may be sharper and perhaps the more promising player but you're looking at it from the wrong angle. Deeney's first touch is far better and he can hold the ball up more and brings others into possession. We keep the ball far better than when Nicholls plays (as he proved with his poor first touch when he came on). All the better teams at any level keep possession whilst waiting for players to get into positions to score. Deeney gives us that and although Nicholls has other qualities he doesn't give us that.

Same with Ricketts. He's not a prolific goalscorer but he brings others into play, which is vital. As long as the other striker in the partnership balances the scoring it works great.

Watch Deeney a bit more closely if you want to know why he's keeping his place in the team.

It's amazing reading comments on this thread and others (and this isn't aimed at anyone in particular) just how few people actually watch anything other than the ball when they go to the match. So much of the good work that several players do when we lose possession (or the abysmal defensive positioning and tracking of one or two) is totally missed.

Agree, and it's usually Metfan which is why he rates Dobson.

And he wonders why Mark Wright is playing professional football and not him. CLUELESS. :mrgreen: x x x

But I did in the summer though (clueless xxx) which is why I am so smug! and why I am going out again in June :mrgreen:

I know what you mean Hawk, No one watches the game properly, I am guessing yo uhave played football and know the game well to make such justified comments, because those that play the game well understand it better imho. eh mark? xxx

:D

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:53 pm

Some of the best managers weren't very good players, and some of the best players make poor managers. Playing the game has no relevance on understanding it.

Remind me again Metfan, which league club did you last play for? You're no different to me or anyone else on here, you're a Goals 7 a side player with more talent that has never been put to use because even the likes of Boldmere didn't think you were worth playing. :wink:

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:57 pm

Wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:
Plastic Hawk wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:
Wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:Am I the only one who feels that Alex Nicholls is hard done to not starting in front of Deeney? I thought he looked more likely to score in the little time he was on. Puzzles me.

Alex Nicholls may be sharper and perhaps the more promising player but you're looking at it from the wrong angle. Deeney's first touch is far better and he can hold the ball up more and brings others into possession. We keep the ball far better than when Nicholls plays (as he proved with his poor first touch when he came on). All the better teams at any level keep possession whilst waiting for players to get into positions to score. Deeney gives us that and although Nicholls has other qualities he doesn't give us that.

Same with Ricketts. He's not a prolific goalscorer but he brings others into play, which is vital. As long as the other striker in the partnership balances the scoring it works great.

Watch Deeney a bit more closely if you want to know why he's keeping his place in the team.

It's amazing reading comments on this thread and others (and this isn't aimed at anyone in particular) just how few people actually watch anything other than the ball when they go to the match. So much of the good work that several players do when we lose possession (or the abysmal defensive positioning and tracking of one or two) is totally missed.

Agree, and it's usually Metfan which is why he rates Dobson.

And he wonders why Mark Wright is playing professional football and not him. CLUELESS. :mrgreen: x x x

But I did in the summer though (clueless xxx) which is why I am so smug! and why I am going out again in June :mrgreen:

I know what you mean Hawk, No one watches the game properly, I am guessing yo uhave played football and know the game well to make such justified comments, because those that play the game well understand it better imho. eh mark? xxx

:D

I've played it on a park on a Sunday morning - but playing football regularly doesn't necessarily help people to read a game as a whole properly. I know plenty of much better players than myself who have no idea about anything other than their own game (and some of them need talking through that too). As MMF says, the best players aren't necessarily the best managers.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:32 pm

Ferguson, Wenger and Mourinho all had mediocre playing careers. I don't believe they won a single trophy between them as players.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:34 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:Some of the best managers weren't very good players, and some of the best players make poor managers. Playing the game has no relevance on understanding it.

Remind me again Metfan, which league club did you last play for? You're no different to me or anyone else on here, you're a Goals 7 a side player with more talent that has never been put to use because even the likes of Boldmere didn't think you were worth playing. :wink:

Really? Myabe it was because I said no. So you have played in the american east coast division ? Think you have caught onto the hook again! I sit here laughing constantly with uts now! I think 99% of my posts are wind ups. :lol:

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:15 pm

PJD wrote:Ferguson, Wenger and Mourinho all had mediocre playing careers. I don't believe they won a single trophy between them as players.

And Benitez.... Oh erm forget that :D

gerryhatrick
UTS Legend

Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:05 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:Some of the best managers weren't very good players, and some of the best players make poor managers. Playing the game has no relevance on understanding it.

Really? Myabe it was because I said no. So you have played in the american east coast division ? Think you have caught onto the hook again! I sit here laughing constantly with uts now! I think 99% of my posts are wind ups. :lol:

That rather juvenile repost, Metfan, has me doubting my thoughts of you as an intelligent young man.

Any respect I held has suddenly nosedived. I think you have made yourself look very, very silly. :roll:

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:23 pm

gerryhatrick wrote:

That rather juvenile repost, Metfan, has me doubting my thoughts of you as an intelligent young man.

Any respect I held has suddenly nosedived. I think you have made yourself look very, very silly. :roll:

It's taken you this long to realise? :mrgreen:

The American East Coast division. Probably the best league in the world, if not then maybe the best league on the American East Coast.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:38 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
gerryhatrick wrote:

It's taken you this long to realise? :mrgreen:

The American East Coast division. Probably the best league in the world, if not then maybe the best league on the American East Coast.

Not something I've ever heard of, but then again probably a step up from Can Tho rubble strewn playground league where I appeared as a exhibition player on at least two occasions. Or maybe not. :mrgreen:

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:48 am

It's American Division V. Do you lot know nothing?

Go Pennsylvania Stoners!

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:50 am

PJD wrote:Ferguson, Wenger and Mourinho all had mediocre playing careers. I don't believe they won a single trophy between them as players.

Ferguson wasn't a bad player. In fact, he was the first (and, I'm not sure but possibly only) player to score a hat-trick against Rangers at Ibrox -whilst playing for Queen's Park. Wenger was also playing at a reasonable level in France for a while.

Mourinho was cack, I'll agree.

To quote Gerrard Houllier: "You don't have to have been a horse to be a good jockey."

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:07 pm

King Crimson wrote:

Ferguson wasn't a bad player. In fact, he was the first (and, I'm not sure but possibly only) player to score a hat-trick against Rangers at Ibrox -whilst playing for Queen's Park. Wenger was also playing at a reasonable level in France for a while.

To quote Gerrard Houllier: "You don't have to have been a horse to be a good jockey."

He wasn't very good either though. A decent top flight pro, but nothing special. Compared to his managerial career then I think "mediocre" is a fair description.

I find it hard to believe that no visiting player had scored a hat-trick at Ibrox before the early 1960's also.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:21 pm

Plastic Hawk wrote:
King Crimson wrote:

He wasn't very good either though. A decent top flight pro, but nothing special. Compared to his managerial career then I think "mediocre" is a fair description.

I find it hard to believe that no visiting player had scored a hat-trick at Ibrox before the early 1960's also.

Sorry! It was for St Johnstone (the club he joined after Queen's Park) :oops: 1960.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:31 pm

King Crimson wrote:
Plastic Hawk wrote:
King Crimson wrote:

Sorry! It was for St Johnstone (the club he joined after Queen's Park) :oops: 1960.

But are you saying that he was (is?) the only St Johnstone player to score a hat-trick at Ibrox? Or the first player for any visiting team to score one?

I can believe it if it's St Johnstone, but surely a Celtic player must have scored a hat-trick at Ibrox some time between 1890 and 1960?

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:45 pm

Plastic Hawk wrote:But are you saying that he was (is?) the only St Johnstone player to score a hat-trick at Ibrox? Or the first player for any visiting team to score one?

I can believe it if it's St Johnstone, but surely a Celtic player must have scored a hat-trick at Ibrox some time between 1890 and 1960?

I heard on FiveLive the other week (so it MUST be true) that he was the first player EVER to score a hat-trick against Rangers at Ibrox. I agree it sounds far-fetched, and I've had a quick look to see if I can confirm it, but I cannae.

Take it like most of my posts, PH. Horse guano.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:15 pm

I'm sure he'll be disappointed that he had to make do with playing in the European Cup for Liverpool instead of the American East Coast Division but at least DD could see the obvious from Dobson's performance against Gillingham, to the extent that despite not being injured he didn't make the 16 for last night's game.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:43 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:I'm sure he'll be disappointed that he had to make do with playing in the European Cup for Liverpool instead of the American East Coast Division but at least DD could see the obvious from Dobson's performance against Gillingham, to the extent that despite not being injured he didn't make the 16 for last night's game.

But would he have scored that header that Wrack missed?

(No, because he wouldn't even have been in the box will be your answer)

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:49 pm

Registered Saddler wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:I'm sure he'll be disappointed that he had to make do with playing in the European Cup for Liverpool instead of the American East Coast Division but at least DD could see the obvious from Dobson's performance against Gillingham, to the extent that despite not being injured he didn't make the 16 for last night's game.

He wouldn't have been in that position :wink:

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:27 pm

Registered Saddler wrote:

In the box?! He'd still be in the process of turning round after realising Nicholls had gone on a run forward. :wink:

Previous
Return to 2007-08 Season