Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Bristol Rovers (A) League 1 Saturday 19/1/08.

Reports and reaction from the 2007-08 season as Walsall finished 12th in League 1
Maverick
UTS Veteran

Re: Bristol Rovers (A) League 1 Saturday 19/1/07.

Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:43 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:We're in 4th place as it stands on goal difference. Joint 2nd on points.

Shh not yet. :wink:

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:45 pm

No Fox again when DD said he would play, is he deffo off now then?

LancsSaddler
UTS Regular

Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:52 pm

Wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:No Fox again when DD said he would play, is he deffo off now then?

hopefully, we can use teh money then.

boertien and holmes must potentially be the best left sided pairing in the league.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:03 pm

God point lancs.

What did I say about Dobson btw? :P - *gloats*

But in all fairness, he has broken play up really well again. Cant expect too much from him and Boertien however because of their severe lack of match fitness. Need a striker next week please Mr Money.

KJC
UTS Legend

Location: Not 'staying away' as any kind of protest. I've just found something better to do on a Saturday.

Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:07 pm

I see Michael Standing has just scored for Grays Athletic....

Also...

Dunno whether it is my Imagination, or maybe Just An Illusion, but Lee John has scored for Port Talbot.

IGMC :D

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:11 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:We're in 4th place as it stands on goal difference. Joint 2nd on points.

A Leeds equaliser would be nice.

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:13 pm

SaddlerSteve wrote:

A Leeds equaliser would be nice.

Actually scrap that as i've realised it won't make any difference to our position!! :oops:

tape66
UTS Legend

Location: Solid steel visor riveted across his eyes, Iron staples close his jaws so no one hears his cries.

Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:47 pm

Bum :(

Frazy85

Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:50 pm

:cry: come on get a winner!

what was with the commentary then? they say nothing for ages and then suddenly "oh and theres the shot and its in"....great commentary.

KJC
UTS Legend

Location: Not 'staying away' as any kind of protest. I've just found something better to do on a Saturday.

Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:57 pm

I'm happy with that draw considering our (lack of) striking options.

Well done lads, well done Dicky!

Biggles
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:58 pm

Down to 7th... Feeling peed off about that...

tape66
UTS Legend

Location: Solid steel visor riveted across his eyes, Iron staples close his jaws so no one hears his cries.

Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:59 pm

Walsall in 7th place one point behind Orient. But only 4 points of sencod place.
Still in a very good position and a 5 point gap between us and Sarf End.

tape66
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:00 pm

Biggles wrote:Down to 7th... Feeling peed off about that...

Dont be so negative see my post above.

Biggles
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:02 pm

tape66 wrote:
Biggles wrote:Down to 7th... Feeling peed off about that...

Dont be so negative see my post above.

Its just seeing us below that magic line..... :D

UTS Legend

Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:03 pm

Too many draws.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:04 pm

Yeh, we've dropped out of the playoff positions 'cos Leyton Orient won at home.

Shame really 'cos without that late equaliser we'd have been ahead of Leeds and level with Forest.

Like I've been saying for about 3 weeks now, we must strengthen else our season will drop off. We've got a home game coming up next week, it's not a 'must win' or anything like that, but to show we're serious about promotion and trying to get it, we should really be starting that match with 2 fit senior strikers. If Mooney and/or Ricketts aren't fit then we need to bring in one or two decent strikers on short term loans.

It would be such a shame to be in a strong positon in January and to drop off simply because we haven't strengthened from a position of strength. Come on Bonser and Money, you know we need strengthening, go out and do it!

Enniskillen
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:07 pm

3 games without Fox and 5 goals conceded and 2 draws! Coincidence? Discuss

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:14 pm

Enniskillen wrote:3 games without Fox and 5 goals conceded and 2 draws! Coincidence? Discuss

Thats a good point, but another way of looking at it is 3 games without Mooney or Ricketts, and hence we didnt finish the game off today, didn't finish it off against Swindon and offered little upfront against Millwall.

You can defend from the front, and having two experienced strikers keeping the ball up that end of the park makes a big difference in more ways than one.

tape66
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:18 pm

philthesaddler wrote:
Enniskillen wrote:3 games without Fox and 5 goals conceded and 2 draws! Coincidence? Discuss

Thats a good point, but another way of looking at it is 3 games without Mooney or Ricketts, and hence we didnt finish the game off today, didn't finish it off against Swindon and offered little upfront against Millwall.

You can defend from the front, and having two experienced strikers keeping the ball up that end of the park makes a big difference in more ways than one.

Another good way of looking at it.

I thought both Mooney and Ricketts were available today? Hopefully they or one of them will be fully fit for Staurdays game against Gillingham.
I really hope that we can bring in a couple more players, but I dont think we need any more than that.

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:19 pm

I'd have settled for a point today, so happy enough.

Worried about Ricketts, hope it is just an injury and he recovers soon

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:20 pm

Good result considering our opponents recent form , we need to get Mooney and Ricketts back and turn these draws into wins .
3 Points today would have seen us above Leeds and equal with Forest , with 2 homes game next its still looking good .

onwards and upwards

Maverick
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:31 pm

Duke wrote:Good result considering our opponents recent form , we need to get Mooney and Ricketts back and turn these draws into wins .
3 Points today would have seen us above Leeds and equal with Forest , with 2 homes game next its still looking good .

onwards and upwards

Agree Duke ,would have settled for a point under the current squad limitations - hopefully the two strikers should be back for next week and push on from there.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:44 pm

I feel guilty to have this attitude, but can't help but feel slightly frustrated that we're not turning these draws into wins. The players who have been going out and picking up points over the last month deserve all the credit in the world for showing such determination and commitment despite a lack of experience. Nobody can really fault these youngsters.
As has been said a few times, Ricketts and/or Mooney would have more than likely made the difference. Obviously there's not a lot we can do if they're injured, which is one of the main reasons why I want Fox to be sold as soon as possible so we can add that extra strength in depth to the squad.

I'm pleased for Sonko at the moment. Not my favourite player by a long shot, but he's come back from a really bad spell outstandingly well.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:00 pm

I feel a little annoyed, considering the game circumstances, an 87th minute equaliser when your away from home is always very dissapointingm regardless of if its accrington or chelsea. Anyone how the game went, did we miss chacnes or did they miss chances.

dinkydotsaddler
UTS Regular

Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:11 pm

Guest wrote:Too many draws.

Well said. That is what it will come down to in the end. :(

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:14 pm

philthesaddler wrote:Like I've been saying for about 3 weeks now, we must strengthen else our season will drop off. We've got a home game coming up next week, it's not a 'must win' or anything like that, but to show we're serious about promotion and trying to get it, we should really be starting that match with 2 fit senior strikers. If Mooney and/or Ricketts aren't fit then we need to bring in one or two decent strikers on short term loans.

I think so, although we don't know the whole picture. We've been told for about three weeks now that Mooney could be ready to play - how much longer is it going to be? Either he's being rested, or the injury is worse than first feared, or he is on the verge of a comeback. What's the truth? I think we need him, Ricketts or AN Other senior striker in the team, and that's taking nothing away from Deeney and Nicholls who are giving their all.

Decent performance by some very tired players today on a bog of a pitch and in the driving rain. 1-1 was a fair outcome. My MOM? Probably Boertien, although it was a real team effort.

Goose277
Glitterati

Location: One morning I shot an elephant in my pyjamas. How he got in my pyjamas, I don't know

Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:02 pm

It's always disappointing to concede in the last few minutes, makes a draw feel like a defeat but as others have said, not a bad result away considering their recent form. We've missed an oportunity to cement a play off place with Forest and Leeds both losing but our position is still more than acceptable. I think the amount of games we've had is taking it's toll on what is a young and inexperienced team and the hopeful return of Mooney & Ricketts next week will be most welcome (as is the return of Dobbo.)

OldPenkSaddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:03 pm

Pretty decent performance against an average side.

Few mistakes creeping in at the back. Seem vulnerable to a deep cross over Dann's head. Couple of goals lost that way now.

With any sort of real quality up front we would have won easily. Must get a decent striker in on loan as cover for Mooney.

Another useful point and I'd have been happy with that before we started but I am disappointed overall.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:09 pm

Battling performance today in conditions where it was often next to impossible to play any real football (gale force wind, driving rain, very waterlogged pitch). It was disappointing to lose the lead so late, especially as we'd missed a gilt-edged chance to make it 2-0 seconds before. Maybe the cross should have been closed down sooner in the build up to their goal, but it came from what looked like the worst area of the pitch as far as footing goes so standing off is understandable to reduce the need to make sudden turns and end up falling over.

I don't really want to say much about the "play" as the conditions turned it into something of a lottery and it's next to impossible to say anything sensible about it, but we did show good heart again and with one of Ricketts and Mooney on the pitch I think we'd have had that little bit of extra quality to turn this into a win (I think the same would have been true of the Swindon game). From that perspective, I can understand the calls for an extra striker, but if they really are both close to a return then I'd probably still hold fire.

I think we'll see this as a good point at the end of the season and once again we showed the ability to go away from home and look the more likely side to win for most of the match.

On a personal note, I thought Brighton would take some beating for the most miserable experience at a football ground this season (taking the match out of the equation), but today ran it close. Strangely, an uncovered terrace in a monsoon isn't very much fun. :D :D

pco_walsall
UTS Regular

Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:13 pm

just got back soaked through :D :D :D
thought this was good point considering rovers battered us in the second half, also i thought weston had a brilliant game and holmes also played well and boertien and dobson played well considering how long they have been out for

PreviousNext
Return to 2007-08 Season