Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Bristol Rovers (A) League 1 Saturday 19/1/08.

Reports and reaction from the 2007-08 season as Walsall finished 12th in League 1
Exile
Jobsworth

Re: Bristol Rovers (A) League 1 Saturday 19/1/07.

Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:18 pm

Thanks for the comments, PH. Agree we're better off with a safe point in those conditions than a brave three or nothing.

deanonev69
Glitterati

Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:27 pm

Just got back now but can't get warm

Would have settled for that before start of game but still gutted at lateness of gaol, albeit that Bristol's pressure paid off.

Lot of positives to take out of today IMO-a lot of teams wouldn't have picked up much from that today and we also played all the football. Every time i see him i am more impressed with Weston-most consistent right back since Brightwell???

Willy Nilly
UTS Regular

Location: All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear, and disregards the rest.

Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:37 pm

Sadders wrote:I feel a little annoyed, considering the game circumstances, an 87th minute equaliser when your away from home is always very dissapointingm regardless of if its accrington or chelsea. Anyone how the game went, did we miss chacnes or did they miss chances.

The game, to me, was a typical away performance. We started well, had a lot of possession first half, got a good goal and deserved the half-time lead.

Any away team one-up at half-time should expect a bit of an onslaught from the opposition at the start of the second..and that's exactly how it was.

I thought we defended really well for the best part, and the defenders, as usual, threw everything infont of the ball when needed.

We played well on the break, with Deeney being stopped by a last ditch tackle when just about to shoot, then Sonko was sent clear by a great through ball (from Nicholls, I think) and chose to go round the keeper rather than take the early shot, and in doing so, overran the ball and could only hit the side netting.

A goal then would have clinched it, no doubt, but the miss was a big one, 'cause Rovers broke away and scored within seconds.

A draw was a fair result, on balance of play, I suppose, but who gives a flying f*** about fair results, when a slightly better first touch, and Sonko would have won it.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:10 pm

Plastic Hawk wrote:On a personal note, I thought Brighton would take some beating for the most miserable experience at a football ground this season (taking the match out of the equation), but today ran it close. Strangely, an uncovered terrace in a monsoon isn't very much fun. :D :D

Hark at the amateurs who weren't at Yeovil. Today was positively sun-drenched in comparison. :wink:

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:21 pm

Registered Saddler wrote:
Plastic Hawk wrote:On a personal note, I thought Brighton would take some beating for the most miserable experience at a football ground this season (taking the match out of the equation), but today ran it close. Strangely, an uncovered terrace in a monsoon isn't very much fun. :D :D

Hark at the amateurs who weren't at Yeovil. Today was positively sun-drenched in comparison. :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:24 pm

Didnt go today, was outside Wembley at 3.00pm :D

I was gutted to get a text with 4 minutes to go to say Brizzle had scored especially when I thought we could have gained a few on some of the clubs.

Like many have said above, we are drawing too many games. Whilst it is great to keep up an unbreaten run, a win and a defeat would be more appealing than a couple of draws.

Never mind onwards and upwards

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:28 am

YGA Saddler wrote:Didnt go today, was outside Wembley at 3.00pm :D

I was gutted to get a text with 4 minutes to go to say Brizzle had scored especially when I thought we could have gained a few on some of the clubs.

Like many have said above, we are drawing too many games. Whilst it is great to keep up an unbreaten run, a win and a defeat would be more appealing than a couple of draws.

There are very good reasons why that ain't necessarily true, and team morale is one of 'em.

UTS Legend

Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:12 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:

There are very good reasons why that ain't necessarily true, and team morale is one of 'em.

Surely 3 points is better for morale than 2. Also winning is better for morale, and dropping 2 points in the dying moments of a game (i.e. Leeds and yesterday) is a blow to morale.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:25 pm

Guest wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:

Surely 3 points is better for morale than 2. Also winning is better for morale, and dropping 2 points in the dying moments of a game (i.e. Leeds and yesterday) is a blow to morale.

But we're not CHOOSING to draw games, in my view. We may have a defensive look about us, but with Mooney and Ricketts both out and our striking options limited, that's to be expected. I didn't go yesterday, but the reports suggest we competed well and tried to win the game, and their pressure finally told near the end. On another day, we'd have come away with all three points and the 'too many draws' issue wouldn't have arisen.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:44 pm

I demand the last word in this thread.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:08 pm

yow can't have it!

Willy Nilly
UTS Regular

Location: All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear, and disregards the rest.

Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:13 pm

Why can't he?

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:54 pm

It's a tie.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:58 pm

Guest wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:

And losing is MUCH worse - nearly every time. Confidence flows from winning obviously, but also from not losing, while losing can drain confidence. As I said earlier, if we'd been on a win-lose-win-lose sequence we'd have had (in theory) more points, but without that unbeaten run to maintain, would the same level of determination NOT to be beaten still have come through? That is what I doubt, so we might have ended up with a few more defeats, then maybe a lower points total than winning and drawing.

But who really knows, it's all totally hypothetical anyway?

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:03 pm

Whitti Steve wrote:yow can't have it!

Damn!

Willy Nilly
UTS Regular

Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:10 pm

Exile wrote:It's a tie.

No it ain't.

gerryhatrick
UTS Legend

Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:23 pm

Willy Nilly wrote:

No it ain't.

Is it a dicky-bow ?

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:38 am

gerryhatrick wrote:
Willy Nilly wrote:

No it ain't.

Is it a dicky-bow ?

Get knotted, all of you! :D

sj
Site Addict

Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:28 pm

Saigon---- cant you get you Avatar to move? That would be nice. :D

tinned
Site Addict

Re: Bristol Rovers (A) League 1 Saturday 19/1/08.

Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:48 pm

Modded title so we don't all get confused when viewing this thread in 5 years time.

You've got to cut Dukey some slack though, he's getting on now you know :P

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:28 pm

sj wrote:Saigon---- cant you get you Avatar to move? That would be nice. :D

That would be nice, perhaps I'll ask her when I see her next :wink:

tape66
UTS Legend

Location: Solid steel visor riveted across his eyes, Iron staples close his jaws so no one hears his cries.

Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:36 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:

Don't you mean HIM ?

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:34 pm

tape66 wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:

Don't you mean HIM ?

Him, her, same result in the end :D

Previous
Return to 2007-08 Season