Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Millwall (H) F.A.Cup 3rd Round Saturday 5/1/08. kick off 2pm

Reports and reaction from the 2007-08 season as Walsall finished 12th in League 1
Surrey Saddler
Glitterati

Re: Millwall (H) F.A.Cup 3rd Round Saturday 5/1/08. kick off 2pm

Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:41 pm

I have lost Saddlers World. Why?

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:43 pm

We need to strengthen!

I aint gone but Deeney has had three good chances. I couldnt see us scoring against Doncaster, and now without Mooooney, Ishy and Ricketts- I honestly cant see us scoring. What we didnt need was ANOTHER match.

PerStener
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:52 pm

Frazy85 wrote:Ishmel has been subbed for Sonko with an "apparent" injury. Why not give hall a chance instead of sonko?!

Consider Taundry's good dead ball qualities I was surprised they didn't throw in him.
Usually we produces quite many corners in the end of the match and Taundry's corners have been very good.

Frazy85

Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:55 pm

thats true actually, i forgot that he was on the bench. Hall looked good at the start of the season but seems to have lost it recently, but then again he isnt given much of a chance. Taundry looks superb at the moment. We didn't want a draw today though, expect the winner of the replay to get either man utd or arsenal away and we will end up losing the replay 3-0.

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:02 pm

Disappointed to be honest , the result shows how vital Ricketts and Mooney are , we had enough chances to win Nicholls and Deeney going very close although the replay is a game we could well do without we are in the 4th round draw that hasn't happened for a long time. we are more than capable of winning at The New Den .

onwards and upwards.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:32 pm

Still havent lost but we looked toothless today.

Two things on out two young strikers though, today proved to me that Deeney is nowhere near ready, whereas Nicholls was brilliant. We NEED to sign another striker because we look as I say, toothless when Ricketts and Mooney are not out there.

Ince - The usual

Fox - I would sell after this performance, his hearts not in it anymore.
Dann - Awesome again today, was caught out at times because he had to do two jobs at once after .....
Roper - ....Ropers performance today, looked like a bumbling fool at the back and lucky not to get sent off.
Weston - MOTM - just brilliant.

Deeney - I am sorry but just not good enough, dangerous as a woodlouse.
Bradley - won a lot of 50/50's, did ok.
Wrack - I thought he was poor today, did not dominate at all.
Ishmel - again showed why he shouldnt start, didnt do anything.

Ricketts - just looked injured
Nicholls - provided an outlet, looked pacy and dabgerous, if he gets a goal, I can see him banging a few in.

Subs:

Brittain - I dont know, I liked how he hugged the line, and some of his deliveries were ok, I will reserve judgement til he gels in.
Sonko - Crap.

Dave Gittins
Glitterati

Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:48 pm

Bit harsh on Sonko there Metfan, he performed better than in recent weeks when he came on. I don't know if you heard DD on the radio after the match but apparently part of Sonko's recent problems have been down to problems with his family back in Africa, he didn't expand on that any more but it may explain part of his problem.

As far as the match was concerned, we were unlucky not to win it but on recent form and with Gerrard back, Ricketts back in and hopefully Mooney then the replay is definately winnable.

sid swifty
Glitterati

Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:58 pm

Dave Gittins wrote:Bit harsh on Sonko there Metfan, he performed better than in recent weeks when he came on. "I don't know if you heard DD on the radio after the match but apparently part of Sonko's recent problems have been down to problems with his family back in Africa, he didn't expand on that any more but it may explain part of his problem."

As far as the match was concerned, we were unlucky not to win it but on recent form and with Gerrard back, Ricketts back in and hopefully Mooney then the replay is definately winnable.

Didn't his young brother get kidnapped or something?

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:00 pm

sid swifty wrote:
Dave Gittins wrote:Bit harsh on Sonko there Metfan, he performed better than in recent weeks when he came on. "I don't know if you heard DD on the radio after the match but apparently part of Sonko's recent problems have been down to problems with his family back in Africa, he didn't expand on that any more but it may explain part of his problem."

Didn't his young brother get kidnapped or something?

I think your confusing sonko with wilson palacios of brum mate.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:01 pm

Second half much better than first. did everything but score - I think they only had one chance (good save from Ince in first half). I was disappointed that Deeney didn;t blast one of his chances in - but he is still very young, give the guy a break. Sonko did look better as a sub appearance - so hopefully will come good if he gets his mind back on it.

I too will reserve judgement on latest recruit as he played much of the second half on the "wrong" wing.

Roper needs games - but aint gonna get them lets face it. Think he did Ok, but looks very, very awkward and refs see that as fouling. He was better second half (desperate for a haircut mind!).

Now... is it just mem or does Bradley seem to have the knack of running through challenges and the ball just keeps bobbling along in front of him :lol: Struggled to lose the ball today :lol:

Mention must be made of Scott Zi-Dann - absolute class this guy... he is more comfortable on the ball than most of the rest of the team... and cntral defenders shouldn't be able to showboat like he did during the first half!

yoda
Site Addict

Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:03 pm

Anyone else notice the ref was scared of us? after he let play go on after the ishy injury I think he felt a bit bad. He gave us every decision for the next 15 minutes after that! He also looked like wanted to cry when he was catching all that abuse as ishy was dying on the floor.

I dont think Ive ever been in love with a Walsall defence like I am now. Ince is a legend (brilliant save by him in first half), Dann, Weston and Gerrard are rocks and Fox is very good. I think its harsh to say his heart isnt in it after todays game - he never got out of 3rd gear because he didnt really need to. Millwall didnt pose him many problems, but he still got the ball forward well.

yoda
Site Addict

Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:06 pm

Oh, and who did that mazy run straight from 2nd half kick off? looked like Nicholls? Cant believe he did all the hard work then couldnt finish it - story of our game really!

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:15 pm

Whitti Steve wrote:Second half much better than first. did everything but score - I think they only had one chance (good save from Ince in first half). I was disappointed that Deeney didn;t blast one of his chances in - but he is still very young, give the guy a break. Sonko did look better as a sub appearance - so hopefully will come good if he gets his mind back on it.

I agree. So many of our young kids are playing really well, yet the fans still have to find one to pick on and try to ruin. Deeney looked like exactly what he is: a raw, young kid trying to learn the game. He did some excellent work outside of the box, but didn't quite have the killer instinct in front of goal. Hopefully that'll come with time. It's too early to say for sure whether it will or not, but his stats in the reserves suggest that it is likely that it will.

Deeney's (and Nicholls' and McDermott's actually) performances this season are much more usual for promising young players than those of Bradley and Dann. Some good stuff and some bad stuff. Anything that he contributes this season is a bonus - the time to make a decision on whether or not he can make it will be the end of next season (by then, chances are the answer'll be obvious one way or the other).

Also, why's it always the strikers we seem to go for when they're kids? Ricketts, Butler, Birch. Some even disliked Fryatt when he came through.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:27 pm

I couldn't really criticise the performances of the players on the pitch today. Arguably only 3 of the players who started the game would have done so at the start of the season which shows how far the youngsters have come as much as it shows just how much we could do with bringing in that extra bit of quality and experience.

The disappointment for me came around the fact that Millwall would have taken a replay before kick off. Pidgeley took as long as he could for every single goal kick, and they made sure they had a good old moan at the ref at every opportunity, just to waste time. Given that this was a cup match and in their position in the league, they could do without injuries, their attitude was extremely poor. I also found it ridiculous that their captain (Number 5 - Paul Robinson) sprinted 30 yards looking for a fight when their number 22 was fouled. Some things just don't change though - echoes of Dennis Wise at the New Den in 2004.

In terms of player performances, Wrack, Dann and Weston were all excellent I thought. Fox wasn't bad, but didn't play to his best, possibly due to the pressure of having Stuart Pearce there watching him. :|
For me, Bradley's effectiveness in midfield is nowhere near what it was. I'm not sure if that's because of him or the system we're playing but he doesn't really seem to get into the game until the last quarter of an hour or so.
Deeney and Nicholls linked up well at times and generally looked lively. It was just a shame they were both guilty of missing decent chances. In terms of a learning curve though, I expect they'll be much better having come of the pitch now.

I'd like to think that with a couple of players back in the side and maybe one or two additions to the squad, we can go there and win. They're a poor side as far as I can see.
Given the circumstances, you can't ask for that much more than a place in the draw for the next round. That's what we've got, maintaining our unbeaten record in the process. A big draw will be nice. :D

cal wfc fan
UTS Regular

Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:28 pm

Dave Gittins wrote:Bit harsh on Sonko there Metfan, he performed better than in recent weeks when he came on. I don't know if you heard DD on the radio after the match but apparently part of Sonko's recent problems have been down to problems with his family back in Africa, he didn't expand on that any more but it may explain part of his problem.

I heard that interview from DD too, also heard him say it wasn't too long ago when a lot of the fans were chanting his name. That must have filled him with confidence.
If he has been having a hard time in his personal life, perhaps we should all give him a break and get behind him again and try and install some convidence back into him. The same thing happened with Mark Wright, some fans getting onto him, he lost confidence and didn't play so well...now look at him, scoring all the time, and he really looks to be enjoying his football now, never looked like he enjoyed playing for Walsall.

Burnside
UTS Regular

Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:33 pm

Metfan - a man who can run rings around us with your great football knowledge draws on many negatives and hides from mitigating circumstances or the positives in there games.

Roper - We knew what to expect. BUT after a shakey start gave a good account of himself.
Wracky - had 3 rookies with him today. We hear about your great footballing skills, how would you fare if we pitched you against a more experianced midfield, playing alongside 3 inferior players, with yourself in a position that is relativly new to you?
Deeney - is going to get there soon and when he does we all benefit.
Sonko - as good as anyone else imho just its fashionable to knock him. Reminds me of the lets all hate Merson moments, lets all follow like sheep.

I'm not saying your negatives aren't warrented. but see the big picture. please.

cyclothymic
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:39 pm

Not a great performance, but we did create chances that on other days might have gone in. Millwall stuck so many men in the box when we attacked that it was a bit like pinball at times.

We missed Mooney and Gerrard and once Ricketts went off injured then it looked as if our chance of scoring had gone.

Weston was very very good, Bradley was very good.

I thought both Nichols and Deeney looked dangerous at times but maybe lacked the physical presence necessary against a tough-tackling Millwall side.

Roper did look lost and was lucky to stop on - he seemed to be all arms in the first half and his tackling was mis-timed. In the last 15 minutes of the second half he did pick up his game quite a bit though.

Ishi didn't really get the service to allow him to run at the defence.

Dann looked unsettled at times - no surprise there as he has such a strong partnership with Gerrard.

Fox looked OK but he has been much better.

Wrack did not get stuck in enough but post-broken leg I guess he is going to be a bit stand-offish - a challenge in the second half could easily have resulted in another nasty injury for him and resulted in some half-hearted pushing between the two sides (and a disappointing retaliation challenge by Wrack that got him a yellow)

Brittain looked great on the right - good crosses and link up play, but when he was on the left he clearly showed he is very one footed.

Sonko nearly cleared the F2G stand with a shot - it hit the advertising boards at the top. That was about it for him.

Has anyone yet cleared the F2G stand with a shot???

Funniest moment was seeing Stafflers jog back from the kiosk with his Bovril after missing the anouncement of a Millwall substitution.

Millwall looked better than when we beat them 3-0 but they are a physical (and somewhat dirty) side that thankfully lack a decent shot between them.

Hey - still unbeaten! Up the Saddlers!

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:42 pm

Burnside wrote:Metfan - a man who can run rings around us with your great football knowledge draws on many negatives and hides from mitigating circumstances or the positives in there games.

Roper - We knew what to expect. BUT after a shakey start gave a good account of himself.
Wracky - had 3 rookies with him today. We hear about your great footballing skills, how would you fare if we pitched you against a more experianced midfield, playing alongside 3 inferior players, with yourself in a position that is relativly new to you?
Deeney - is going to get there soon and when he does we all benefit.
Sonko - as good as anyone else imho just its fashionable to knock him. Reminds me of the lets all hate Merson moments, lets all follow like sheep.

I'm not saying your negatives aren't warrented. but see the big picture. please.

Yawn. Come and see me play sir then comment.

Jockney

Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:43 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:The disappointment for me came around the fact that Millwall would have taken a replay before kick off. Pidgeley took as long as he could for every single goal kick, and they made sure they had a good old moan at the ref at every opportunity, just to waste time. Given that this was a cup match and in their position in the league, they could do without injuries, their attitude was extremely poor. I also found it ridiculous that their captain (Number 5 - Paul Robinson) sprinted 30 yards looking for a fight when their number 22 was fouled. Some things just don't change though - echoes of Dennis Wise at the New Den in 2004.

They're a poor side as far as I can see.

Jackett did exactly as he should have, given our extensive injury and suspension list (ten first teamers out)

With Senda, Brammer, Alexander and Brkovic back for the replay, it'll be a different kettle of fish. We try to win at all costs playing at home, thus our mixed home record.

It'll be a hard game, but I'm confident we can get a result.

bangsection
Site Addict

Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:52 pm

WFC_Rob wrote: Fox wasn't bad, but didn't play to his best, possibly due to the pressure of having Stuart Pearce there watching him. :|

Interesting. Did anyone speak to Pearce or are we just guessing that he was there to see Fox? Surely he would have been impressed by Dann, too. Excellent news for Fox (with Scotland U-21s also sniffing round) but also for us, as a call up would add greatly to any tribunal valuation.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:13 pm

Decent performance, considering we were lacking Sweeney, Mooney and Ricketts for most of the game.

Deeney did well except in front of goal, he had 3 good chances to win the game for us and fluffed each one.

First impressions of Britton were good, but I dont think he'll be anywhere near as good as Sweeney. If Sweeney does join someone else we'll need to replace him because Ish just can't play 90 mins. We also need some more quality upfront as back up for Mooney and Ricketts.

I was confident of the play offs before this game, but my feeling now is that we wont score enough goals, especially if we lose Sweeney, and then lose Ricketts or Mooney to injury. Unless of course we make a couple of decent signings this month.

yoda
Site Addict

Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:23 pm

philthesaddler wrote: I was confident of the play offs before this game, but my feeling now is that we wont score enough goals, especially if we lose Sweeney, and then lose Ricketts or Mooney to injury. Unless of course we make a couple of decent signings this month.

And Ishy.

Its funny, but after Kitsons FA cup comments I argued the league and the FA cup werent exclusive and you could have a good crack at both. But our play off hopes seem to have evaporated after that game with 2 key injuries.

Worse, we'll draw arsenal away then lose 1-0 to the sarf landoners in the replay

Kiansmom
Site Addict

Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:25 pm

Missed the game today :( doesn't sound like I missed much. I've already done one trip to Millwall this season so looks like the replay is a no go either.

Goose277
Glitterati

Location: One morning I shot an elephant in my pyjamas. How he got in my pyjamas, I don't know

Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:58 pm

Really enjoyed the game today, especially the second half and I'm surprised some players are getting a bit of stick. 3 players that stood out for me were Nicholls, Weston and Dann who were excellent, but everyone gave a decent account of themselves (even Sonko was a little better than of late.) Britton was comfortable when he was on the right and although he looked out of place when he had to switch, he still made himself available which is encouraging but as others have said, we need to get a good look at him. Millwall never looked liked having a real go at us but I thought Vincenti made a nuisance of himself in the first half and they certainly looked better than a couple of weeks ago, but I think they got what they came for, albeit down to our lack of finishing.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:19 pm

bangsection wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote: Fox wasn't bad, but didn't play to his best, possibly due to the pressure of having Stuart Pearce there watching him. :|

Interesting. Did anyone speak to Pearce or are we just guessing that he was there to see Fox? Surely he would have been impressed by Dann, too. Excellent news for Fox (with Scotland U-21s also sniffing round) but also for us, as a call up would add greatly to any tribunal valuation.

Well, others have suggested Pearce was there and I saw an envelope at the ticket office marked 'The FA - Stuart Pearce' which seems to add up.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:21 pm

yoda wrote:
philthesaddler wrote: I was confident of the play offs before this game, but my feeling now is that we wont score enough goals, especially if we lose Sweeney, and then lose Ricketts or Mooney to injury. Unless of course we make a couple of decent signings this month.

And Ishy.

Its funny, but after Kitsons FA cup comments I argued the league and the FA cup werent exclusive and you could have a good crack at both. But our play off hopes seem to have evaporated after that game with 2 key injuries.

Worse, we'll draw arsenal away then lose 1-0 to the sarf landoners in the replay

According to Money, both should be available for Tuesday, so we're no worse off in terms of a bid for the playoffs.

yoda
Site Addict

Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:31 pm

Well the knocks havent helped our cause have they?

What was up with there being 2 man of the match awards? i know there were 2 sponsers but they should make them agree on a player. it devalues the award

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:39 pm

yoda wrote:Well the knocks havent helped our cause have they?

What was up with there being 2 man of the match awards? i know there were 2 sponsers but they should make them agree on a player. it devalues the award

It's a ludicrous award in a team game anyway.

Especially when it's voted for by people who've been in the bar rather than watching for portions of the game.

dinkydotsaddler
UTS Regular

Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:56 pm

I didn't go today but by the sounds of it with the injuries etc. we have I feel that the wheels could really come off our promotion campaign if we don't bring in a striker with some sort of experience. We are not sure how long Mooney or Ricketts might be out for and while I am all for playing the kids I can't see Deeney being the solution on his own. As for Sonko I saw him on Tuesday and he was pretty poor - if this is explained by personal problems then I feel for him but to be honest that isn't going to help us. One way or another a player in the wrong frame of mind shouldn't be playing, if he is unable to perform for whatever reason needs to be left out of the team. It would be nice to see us sign a couple of players to enable us to continue pushing for at least the play-offs, but let's be honest JB ain't gonna let that happen is he?

UP THE SADDLERS :D :D :D :D

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:30 pm

As many have already said, this game really exposed our lack of depth in the striker department. Without Mooney or Ricketts (and neither of those two could honestly be described as prolific scorers) we are clueless (© MMF 2007) in front of goal. I feel sorry for Nicholls and Deeney, two young lads with excellent attitudes, apparently. Nicholls is very quick but, unfortunately, the number of his shots that have been on target, this season, can be counted on the fingers of one hand - bags of promise but zero end product. He is not frightening any goalkeepers, yet. Similarly with Deeney, you get lots of hard graft but his first touch is poor and his finishing predictable and devoid of quality. He has another two and a half years on his new contract. I hope that the WFC coaching staff can work miracles with him.

We are also lacking goals from other areas. Bradley oozes class but he has "blown hot and cold" recently - understandable in view of his tender years and inexperience. He should be scoring more goals. I would say the same about Demontagnac. Inexperience is an excuse not available to Wrack. His shooting is diabolical I hope that Joke Shitty are knocked out of the Cup, tomorrow (but I doubt it) and then the Clayheads may let us play Sweeney in the replay. He should be contributing to our goal tally from midfield. I reserve judgement on "Little" Brittain - he needs a lot more games. I was sorry to hear of Sonko's problems - all the more reason to take the pressure off him, I would have thought, and give him a run in the Reserves which might help him to regain his confidence. I have to admit that I have not heard any barracking of him (I'm glad to say) which would have been the fate of other players, in the past.

I'm sure that DD has a "shopping list" which includes a striker, near the top. Now, if only Uncle Jeff could remember the number to the combination lock on his wallet! :twisted:

PreviousNext
Return to 2007-08 Season