Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Oldham Athletic (A) League 1 Saturday 29/12/07

Reports and reaction from the 2007-08 season as Walsall finished 12th in League 1
cancol

Re: Oldham Athletic (A) League 1 Saturday 29/12/07

Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:34 am

A great result again away to an in form team who will hopefully make it hard for all the other teams they play against.
I had to suffer the M-I-L wittering on between dashes to listen to W.M.
Really looking forward to New Year's day . :D :D :D

tinned
Site Addict

Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:35 am

I fully expected our run to come to an end yesterday. Couldn't believe my eyes when I looked at the score on my mobile. The fellow shoppers at Telford must've wondered why I was whooping for joy outside M&S :P

I'm really starting to believe that play off's are now well within our reach. Results like yesterday are what promotion seasons are made of. What started me REALLY believing though was the point gained on Boxing Day. To go there (never an easy place to get anything from), play badly and still snatch a point at the death shows all the qualities (never-say-die, determination and a sprinkling of luck) that you need to force yourselves into the play off's.

tinned
Site Addict

Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:37 am

KJC wrote:
Ned_Kelly wrote:
loop wrote:Does anyone else have to submit 3 or 4 times sometimes whilst posting ?

Only if someone else has posted a message on the thread while your posting your reply

Correct, if someone else posts onto the thread while you are writing your message, once you submit it will go into preview, so that you can check that you are not repeating what they have just written.

Has that ever stopped any of us? :D

addo
UTS Veteran

Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:29 am

Does anyone have a link to the main Oldham message board?

I would just love to hear what they are saying about Ricketts :)

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:38 am

addo wrote:Does anyone have a link to the main Oldham message board?

there's two poor ones - the rivals site here ice station zebra and this lame effort from the dark ages of the internet.

Haven't seen any more.

booster cogburn
UTS Veteran

Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:50 am

Exile wrote:

there's two poor ones - the rivals site here ice station zebra and this lame effort from the dark ages of the internet.

Haven't seen any more.

This one seems to be pretty busy but I think you have to be registered even to read stuff.

Ned_Kelly
UTS Legend

Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:15 am

big baz 1 wrote::D :D :D :D :D The jinix is over , i have finally now seen te super saddlers win away from home. I would like to say ha ha ha ha ha i think you will find i was right. That is for the many people who laughed at me and questioned my sanity when i predicted walsall would make the play offs or sneak automatic promotion. Also it was good to speak with my homie sellotape 66 , asps who was drunk and yga saddler who made the mistake of trying to drink one of my two big baz beers i was drinking at half time. 8)

Are you looking forward to your night out ? Don't think i've conveniently frogotten :wink:

Willy Nilly
UTS Regular

Location: All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear, and disregards the rest.

Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:41 am

There's a few posts on the message board on this site.

http://www.webservicesbc.com/latics/

And an interesting report where the Oldham manager is quoted as blaming having a young, inexperienced side for the defeat against us. Yeah, right. With an 18 yr. old at right back, three 19 yr. olds in midfield and a 20 and 21 year old at centre back, we're brimming with experience. :roll:

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:05 am

Sorry, I can't resist it - I rise to the bait every time:

Futuresobright said ""the youth players that Merson nurtured".... face it, the only things Merson ever nurtured in his time at Walsall were drinking glasses and gambling handbooks. :evil:

Futuresobright said "week by week we see the results of previous Managers' efforts".... yeah, sure. :roll:

Futuresobright, I really would prefer it if you would go and post somewhere else, perhaps on the other planet that you seem to inhabit.

This Walsall squad, properly managed and motivated by Richard Money, is going in a diametrically opposite direction to that in Merson's time - the facts can not be in dispute. Paul Merson was, at times, a wonderful player - but at no time did he display even the basics of management or communication.

Rant over.

Ned_Kelly
UTS Legend

Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:07 am

Welsh_Saddler wrote:Sorry, I can't resist it - I rise to the bait every time:

Futuresobright said ""the youth players that Merson nurtured".... face it, the only things Merson ever nurtured in his time at Walsall were drinking glasses and gambling handbooks. :evil:

Futuresobright said "week by week we see the results of previous Managers' efforts".... yeah, sure. :roll:

Futuresobright, I really would prefer it if you would go and post somewhere else, perhaps on the other planet that you seem to inhabit.

This Walsall squad, properly managed and motivated by Richard Money, is going in a diametrically opposite direction to that in Merson's time - the facts can not be in dispute. Paul Merson was, at times, a wonderful player - but at no time did he display even the basics of management or communication.

Rant over.

Whoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooosshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh........................... Always resist a retort :wink:

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:25 am

Futuresobright said .................blah, blah, blah..............Rant over.

Come on, WS - surely you must realise that Bernie's alter-ego is just a massive wind-up, by now? :lol: :shock: :D

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:29 am

Pedagogue wrote:

Futuresobright said .................blah, blah, blah..............Rant over.

Come on, WS - surely you must realise that Bernie's alter-ego is just a massive wind-up, by now? :lol: :shock: :D

I generally assume that Bernie himself is a massive wind-up also. It wouldn't surprise me one bit to find that he's another board regular having a laugh.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:54 am

Plastic Hawk wrote:I generally assume that Bernie himself is a massive wind-up also. It wouldn't surprise me one bit to find that he's another board regular having a laugh.

A bit harsh there, PH (no emoticon?). Most of Bernie's posts make a good contribution to this board, even if you don't necessarily agree with them. He always contributes fully to the debates.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:38 pm

As I have previously stated on several occasions, but the myth refuses to die, I never post under any other username.

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:14 pm

Great great result yesterday, made even better by the prospect of gloating to some Oldham fans I know :lol:

The day started off badly given the soaking I got walking from Oldham Werneth to Boundary Park - why is it every time I go there, I end up freezing my bloody nads off? Of course things just got better - as soon as I sat down and squinted through rain soaked specs at the game, we score! Text number one to an Oldham fan in the Chaddy end :mrgreen: We were totally solid at the back once again in the first half. Proud to watch our "weakened" team playing so well. Second half, much the same with Ricketts making it 2-0 and hitting the bar. Text number two to the Chaddy End :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

It was worth suffering the rain and icy cold wind to see us win.

It is good to be a Saddler again and I would like to thank Richard Money once more for putting the Merson years firmly behind us.

Come on you Saddlers!!

sj
Site Addict

Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:36 pm

Manchester--- interesting post mate. did you get chance to listen to the link I gave you? I have done some thinking over Xmas and I can pick massive holes in many of the arguments presented. But it made me think and at time scared me.

Sorry about this Manchester I cant get my head around how to PM people on the new board.

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:48 pm

No - SJ - I haven't yet. Can you post the link again? I can't recall where you posted it :oops:

sj
Site Addict

Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:08 pm

Manchester--- listen to the banking stuff by Mohammed Rafeeq and tell me what you think.
http://www.iamthewitness.com/audio/inde ... order=desc

gerryhatrick
UTS Legend

Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:32 pm

sj wrote:Manchester--- listen to the banking stuff by Mohammed Rafeeq and tell me what you think.
http://www.iamthewitness.com/audio/inde ... order=desc

Is it a list of agents of potential loanees that DD's chasing?

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:42 pm

What's happened to Philthesaddler's customary post telling everyone how lucky we were and that it's a good job Richard Money listens to him as he's a footballing genius?

sj
Site Addict

Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:43 pm

gerryhatrick---- dont listen to it it will frighten you to death, stay away it is for the ears of Manchester alone.

cal wfc fan
UTS Regular

Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:05 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:What's happened to Philthesaddler's customary post telling everyone how lucky we were and that it's a good job Richard Money listens to him as he's a footballing genius?

He didn't go yesterday!!

tape66
UTS Legend

Location: Solid steel visor riveted across his eyes, Iron staples close his jaws so no one hears his cries.

Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:45 pm

cal wfc fan wrote:
Neil Ravenscroft wrote:What's happened to Philthesaddler's customary post telling everyone how lucky we were and that it's a good job Richard Money listens to him as he's a footballing genius?

He didn't go yesterday!!

Since when did that make any difference?

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:49 pm

I happen to be in France visiting my very ill grandad Neil, how was Miahs funeral?

gerryhatrick
UTS Legend

Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:22 pm

sj wrote:gerryhatrick---- dont listen to it it will frighten you to death, stay away it is for the ears of Manchester alone.

Far be it for me to pry into others chat lines.

Phil McCrack sounds interesting. :oops:

RobboH89
Glitterati

Location: Waiting for confirmation of League 1 Survival! Bring It On!

Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:25 pm

philthesaddler wrote:

I happen to be in France visiting my very ill grandad Neil, how was Miahs funeral?

Bonjour!

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:43 pm

First time I have been able to post since the result and I was overjoyed with the way the lads played.

Play-offs even automatic promotion IS THERE FOR THE TAKING. The way that team are playing anything is possible.

We werent oustanding but we were again very difficult to break down and came away with a win and a clean sheet against a team that hadnt lost in 11 and free scoring with Lee Hughes.

I aint getting carried away but this could be a very good season for all.

Well done to all on a very cold and rainy day.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:01 pm

tinned wrote:I fully expected our run to come to an end yesterday. Couldn't believe my eyes when I looked at the score on my mobile. The fellow shoppers at Telford must've wondered why I was whooping for joy outside M&S :P

I'm really starting to believe that play off's are now well within our reach. Results like yesterday are what promotion seasons are made of. What started me REALLY believing though was the point gained on Boxing Day. To go there (never an easy place to get anything from), play badly and still snatch a point at the death shows all the qualities (never-say-die, determination and a sprinkling of luck) that you need to force yourselves into the play off's.

Believe.

Although I can't. Still. I know we're on a great run, which has lasted virtually half a season, and our first XI seems to be a match for anyone - even Forest and Leeds. But I still think we'll end up about 10th, can't really explain it, just think we'll hit a rocky patch and/or the loanees won't stick around. Actually ending up in a play-off or promotion place is so unexpected a prospect after the start we had that I just can't imagine it happening. Maybe at heart I'm just one of the doom and gloom brigade.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:12 pm

Registered Saddler wrote:
tinned wrote:I fully expected our run to come to an end yesterday. Couldn't believe my eyes when I looked at the score on my mobile. The fellow shoppers at Telford must've wondered why I was whooping for joy outside M&S :P

Believe.

Although I can't. Still. I know we're on a great run, which has lasted virtually half a season, and our first XI seems to be a match for anyone - even Forest and Leeds. But I still think we'll end up about 10th, can't really explain it, just think we'll hit a rocky patch and/or the loanees won't stick around. Actually ending up in a play-off or promotion place is so unexpected a prospect after the start we had that I just can't imagine it happening. Maybe at heart I'm just one of the doom and gloom brigade.

Your not meant to believe, not yet !

Cast your mind back to when Graydon came to Walsall. At what point that season did you actually believe we could get promoted ?

Me it was after we beat Blackpool 2-0 away, which was fairly late on in the season. It always looked possible, but was somehow not believable.

It is all coming together nicely right now

sj
Site Addict

Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:24 pm

Manchester--- you are 100% correct ,I'm a silly old b*gger.

sorry still cant PM, told you I was a silly old B*gger :oops:

PreviousNext
Return to 2007-08 Season